TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Game of Thrones - "The Ghost of Harrenhal" - s2e5 - 4/29/12

Wow, that episode flew by. Nice symmetry with Renley's murder at the beginning by the shadow creature and the Tickler's murder at the end. Hard to believe the season is halfway done.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Smokey looked like Stanis.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

As I'm watching each different scene/setting (ie, North of the Wall, King's Landing, Winterfell, Qarth ...), I kept thinking that each one of those is worth an episode by itself. I could watch this show for hours on end . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvz View Post
Hard to believe the season is halfway done.
Noooooooooo!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Ereth

If only HBO would give us more than 10 episodes per year. The story only gets MORE dense from here, not less.
Also, check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
series while you are there.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
If only HBO would give us more than 10 episodes per year. The story only gets MORE dense from here, not less.
Totally agree. I try to watch my shows binge style, but this is one show I just can't resist watching each week.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
DUDE_NJX

At least we have books to fall back on.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
Zarisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Smokey looked like Stanis.
Yep it was Stanis's love child with the red preistess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
At least we have books to fall back on.
Ya, but we only read them for the articles.

It's sad that I watch this show, I sneeze and it's over. 1 hour SURE flys
by when its a GREAT show.
Zarisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The look on Arya's face when she realized she had gotten the Tickler killed was chilling...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
LordKronos

Wow, that was pretty good. I had accidentally learned earlier this week that Renley died in the books, so I knew it was coming, and I put 2 + 2 together and figured it would be the smoke monster, but that was way better than I expected. However, my understanding was that in the book Renley died in a differenent way. Could someone please mention (in spoilers) 1) how Renley dies in the book, and 2) what was the purpose of the smoke monster in the book?

Also, this made me think...being able to take out a king like that, seemingly with no way to stop it, is a pretty powerful ability. What stops Stannis from just rinsing and repeating on anyone that stands in his way? I suppose there is a limit imposed by gestation time, but it seems like they could still do a lot of damage this way. And good thing they didn't have fertility treatments back then. Mellisandre + Octomom = total destruction. Throw in 1 more for good measure and you've got your own Ringwraiths.

In the scene where Theon was talking about the attack plans, I didn't catch everything. I know he was ordered to attack the fishing villiage, which was on the Stony Shore, correct? And then the conversation was basically that a true man of the iron islands does what he wants, not what he was commanded, so Theon was going to attack somewhere else instead, right? But I didn't catch where. And although it wasn't clear to me at the moment what his intention was, I later figured out it was a diversion to lure the soldiers out of Winterfell so he can attack there.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Also, this made me think...being able to take out a king like that, seemingly with no way to stop it, is a pretty powerful ability. What stops Stannis from just rinsing and repeating on anyone that stands in his way? I suppose there is a limit imposed by gestation time, but it seems like they could still do a lot of damage this way. And good thing they didn't have fertility treatments back then. Mellisandre + Octomom = total destruction. Throw in 1 more for good measure and you've got your own Ringwraiths.
"Magic always has a price," as people keep saying.
Quote:
In the scene where Theon was talking about the attack plans, I didn't catch everything. I know he was ordered to attack the fishing villiage, which was on the Stony Shore, correct? And then the conversation was basically that a true man of the iron islands does what he wants, not what he was commanded, so Theon was going to attack somewhere else instead, right? But I didn't catch where. And although it wasn't clear to me at the moment what his intention was, I later figured out it was a diversion to lure the soldiers out of Winterfell so he can attack there.
He's attacking one of Robb's castles.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"Magic always has a price," as people keep saying.
But what's the price? A gallon of milk has a price, but that doesn't stop me from buying a few each week.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
allan
I survived the Mayan

Wow! I'm reading the book, but my reading is slightly behind the show, so Renly's death was a surprise. That's a scary ability!

I agree that the hour flew by. It seemed like I'd just started when I got the popup asking if I wanted to let Tivo change channels for my next show.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
LordKronos

OK, looking at the map on HBO's website, there is a marker for this episode at Torrhen's Square, not too far from Winterfell. I don't remember any scenes that would have been here, so I'm assuming this is where Theon attacked:
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of...rrhens-square/
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But what's the price? A gallon of milk has a price, but that doesn't stop me from buying a few each week.
Aye, there lies the rub. He'll have to see what this little magical adventure costs him, and decide whether it's useful enough to keep paying the price.

Or be a moron, and just start killing people left and right before he knows what it will cost him.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
LordKronos

Quote:
Aye, there lies the rub. He'll have to see what this little magical adventure costs him, and decide whether it's useful enough to keep paying the price.

Or be a moron, and just start killing people left and right before he knows what it will cost him.
On the flip side, with death that easy, Stannis also has to be careful not to piss off Mellisandre. Seems she could just as easily find someone else to father a smoke baby to kill Stannis.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:

In the scene where Theon was talking about the attack plans, I didn't catch everything. I know he was ordered to attack the fishing village, which was on the Stony Shore, correct? And then the conversation was basically that a true man of the iron islands does what he wants, not what he was commanded, so Theon was going to attack somewhere else instead, right? But I didn't catch where. And although it wasn't clear to me at the moment what his intention was, I later figured out it was a diversion to lure the soldiers out of Winterfell so he can attack there.
I think the locale was called "Torrin's Square", it was the place that Bron was informed had been attacked after he had held court. Also note that Bron's dream of the sea washing over Winterfell "predicted" this as the raven leading him to the crypt presaged his father's death.

I'm still trying to figure out what outcome the Greyjoys think are going to achieve (if it is just vengeance on the Starks then I guess it makes some sense). It seems to me that for the Iron Islands to have any semblance of independence that the rest of Westeros would have to be fragmented, and the way to do that is to support the Starks, not weaken them.
But then again people in this series don't seem to always consider the strategic implications of their actions.

Was Arya trying to get caught in a lie with her first answer to Tywin's "Where are you from" question? If so that was really clever, let them knock down the first lie so they believe the 2nd one. And who do you think the other 2 on here "hit list" will end up being?

Was "Smoky" a one use assassin? After killing Renley he kind of faded away, but was that a retreat or an "End of program"?
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I think the locale was called "Torrin's Square", it was the place that Bron was informed had been attacked after he had held court. Also note that Bron's dream of the sea washing over Winterfell "predicted" this as the raven leading him to the crypt presaged his father's death.
Bran. Bron is Tyrion's sellsword.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
On the flip side, with death that easy, Stannis also has to be careful not to piss off Mellisandre. Seems she could just as easily find someone else to father a smoke baby to kill Stannis.
But we don't know how easy it is. If the cost is a canker sore, then yes, either one of them would be tempted to use it pretty freely. But if the cost is seven years of death, war, pestilence, and famine ravaging the countryside, then it might be used a little more...sparingly.

And I suspect Melisandre knows the price. The question is, does Stannis? Is he smart enough even to ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Bron seems to be the only person who appreciates Tyrion as much, and in the same way, as we do. I love the looks on his face when Tyrion does something Tyrionesque.

Last edited by Rob Helmerichs : 04-30-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay. My power outage last night put a crimp in my GoT watching and recording. Stupid drivers, apparently someone hit a pole and my entire housing development went into a little 2 hour blackout. By the time it came back on, I was in bed. So I came into work and did what any rational person would do, I pretended to be super duper busy and pulled out my iPad and hit HBOGO.

So bear with me if on my small screen distracted by trying to be sneaky I didn't catch things as well as I'd like. I plan to watch again when I get home. My thoughts for now (before I actually read the thread and am tainted with others thoughts).

Did not see Renly dying coming. Although afterward it should have been obvious the moment the smokey thing came out last week that it was going to do just what it did. I am just surprised that Stannis didn't seem to give a crap at all. Stone, that man is made of. Not sure how that bodes for a future King. So I assume by the reaction we got from Brienne that she was in love with him and not just loyal to him?? Sucks for her now because not only is he dead but his men thought she killed him. That entire scene was just freaky. It comes in and they all just stare at it while it slices right through him with it's smoke dagger then *poof* it's gone. I do love how fast word traveled and how pretty much everyone assumed it was Stannis. Brienne said it looked like Stannis but on my tiny screen it just looked like the shape of a soldier.

What the hell is Littlefinger up to? Why does he care at all about Margaery now that Renly is dead? I'm racking my brain trying to think what use she would be to him and can come up with nothing. Oh and did you hear that? She doesn't want to be A queen, she wants to be THE queen. Well that's out the window for her now too, no? I just feel like I'm missing something vital in this scene.

So is this the first we've heard of wildfire? It kinda sounds like it can pretty much kill/destroy/melt anything. I see why Tyrion is worried. They'll end up seeing the entirety of Kings Landing on fire if they aren't careful!

So is Davos pretty much the smartest man in Stannis-camp? Because he's totally got Red-Priestess-of-the-Light's number. I was honestly surprised Stannis seemed to listen to him about not taking her to Kings Landing. He's totally right too. I just don't see how they are going to actually manage to leave her. Ummm guys, did you not see what that smoke thing did? You better watch your backs if you try to leave that woman behind!!

So Theon is planning to attack Robb's men when they show up at Torren Square? Or is he going bigger than that and just doing it to lure the remaining troops out of Winterfell so he can go take it over? That's not very nice, either way Theon. I hope he dies trying if that really is his plan. I don't even want to see poor Robbie's face when he realizes he's been stabbed in the back by Theon.

Jon Snow, the assassin! Go get em, tiger. Just don't think about dying. Hear me, show? You better not kill off my boy! I think next to Tyrion, Snow is my favorite and I'm not even sure why. It's not his pretty so don't even say that. I just find him fascinating. (and I feel like I've said this before so I'll shut up now) Just to be clear, they are going to kill off a former Ranger turned Wildling? Why would he want to stay north of the wall forever?? And what does killing this man gain the Night's Watch? Little lost on that.

Oh Yes! I almost forgot Arya and Dany! Wow so much this episode. Sorry this post is becoming a book. I really should be working too. I do look busy though so there's that.

Arya and Tywin - I guess that proves that he doesn't know who she is, right? I know there was a lot of debate over that last week. I think he just knew she was from the North. So loved her looking him dead in the face and saying "anyone can be killed, my Lord".... And yay! One of the monsters on her hit list is gone thanks to Jaqen. (had to look that name up, I cannot for the life of me ever remember it!) So he owes her 2 more. I hope she doesn't waste them on fools at Harrenhal but saves them for much greater bastards.

Umm Dany, are you dense, girl? I doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Jorah is in love with you. But it was great when you saw the realization of it hit her like a brick as he was saying he can't believe at times that she's real. Is it weird that I'm totally team Jorah here? As much as I liked Drogo, I think Jorah is good for her. Why was it he and his father (Mormont at the wall, right?) are at odds again? I for the life of me can't remember without going to look it up.

And last but not least, my LOL Tyrion moments of the episode were the following:

Cersei: Aren’t you always so clever with your schemes and your plots
Tyrion: Schemes and plots are the same thing

Tyrion: (to Cersei regarding Myrcella): She's a sweet, innocent girl and I don't blame her at all for you

Bronn: There's that mind you keep going on about
Tyrion: Well, I've never been able to actually kill people with it
Bronn: Good thing or I'd be out of a job

And also I loved his face when he realized he was the "evil demon monkey" they were spouting on about.

Oh and his "even torturing you is boring" to Lancel. Heee!

So yeah, Dinklage for the win again this episode.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Umm Dany, are you dense, girl? I doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Jorah is in love with you. But it was great when you saw the realization of it hit her like a brick as he was saying he can't believe at times that she's real. Is it weird that I'm totally team Jorah here? As much as I liked Drogo, I think Jorah is good for her. Why was it he and his father (Mormont at the wall, right?) are at odds again? I for the life of me can't remember without going to look it up.
Ser Jorah was involved in some smuggling/poaching thing which is against the laws, so he got banished. I believe that Jorah told Dany the story about his wife, which is related this part of the story. I won't go in detail because I can't remember what is show and what is books.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Ser Jorah was involved in some smuggling/poaching thing which is against the laws, so he got banished. I believe that Jorah told Dany the story about his wife, which is related this part of the story. I won't go in detail because I can't remember what is show and what is books.
hmmm I don't remember anything about smuggling or his wife. I'll have to skim back through season 1 to find it. I hate to google things like this because I'm so afraid I'm going to read far more than I wanted to know!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I did not get the exchange between Theon and his first mate. They agreed to attack a different place, but then some sort of "understanding" passed between them and I can't figure out what.

So the guy with the funny beard who went to defend against Theon will die.

Why oh why did Arya waste one of her 3 kills on someone who does not matter?

I think Littlefinger has found himself a queen!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
hmmm I don't remember anything about smuggling or his wife. I'll have to skim back through season 1 to find it. I hate to google things like this because I'm so afraid I'm going to read far more than I wanted to know!
Ned caught him selling slaves; which is a big no no. Jorah explained to Dany that he did it because he needed the money since his woman had expensive tastes.

Mormont has disowned him as he is without honor. Jorah chose to run (be banished) rather than have his head chopped off. Jorah also clearly works for the Spider and was clearly do it so he can get a royal pardon.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvz View Post
Hard to believe the season is halfway done.
That just put a damper on my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
As I'm watching each different scene/setting (ie, North of the Wall, King's Landing, Winterfell, Qarth ...), I kept thinking that each one of those is worth an episode by itself. I could watch this show for hours on end . . .
I agree! I never could have imaged being so in love with such a hard core fantasy show but here I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Funny I don't get them confused but I always forget Bran's name. I don't forget Bronn. Maybe it's because Bronn is always on screen with Tyrion.

Quote:
And I suspect Melisandre knows the price. The question is, does Stannis? Is he smart enough even to ask?
I'm going to vote for no.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Ned caught him selling slaves; which is a big no no. Jorah explained to Dany that he did it because he needed the money since his woman had expensive tastes.

Mormont has disowned him as he is without honor. Jorah chose to run (be banished) rather than have his head chopped off. Jorah also clearly works for the Spider and was clearly do it so he can get a royal pardon.
Okay I don't remember the woman has expensive tastes thing but selling slaves rings a bell.

And I say a big HUH? on him working for Varys. Was that mentioned before?? Now I have to really go back because I think I've forgotten pretty much everything about Jorah prior to him joining up with Dany. He was already with the Dothraki, I do have that part correct, right?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Okay I don't remember the woman has expensive tastes thing but selling slaves rings a bell.

And I say a big HUH? on him working for Varys. Was that mentioned before?? Now I have to really go back because I think I've forgotten pretty much everything about Jorah prior to him joining up with Dany. He was already with the Dothraki, I do have that part correct, right?
I recall a scene (just before the attempted assassination on Dany) where he got some mail and it contained a pardon. He then thwarted the attempt on Dany's life. I don't recall the details of the pardon, though. Others here might have better memories.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I did not get the exchange between Theon and his first mate. They agreed to attack a different place, but then some sort of "understanding" passed between them and I can't figure out what.
Theon was whining about what a s#!% detail he drew, and how was he ever going to prove himself with that? The other guy said he couldn't, but that the Ironborn don't do as they're told, they do as they please. That puts the notion in Theon's head to do something else, and he comes up with the plan to attack Robb's castle. The other guy approves of his initiative.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
Ereth

Quote:

It's easy to miss, but Mormont also gave his sword, Longclaw, which is the ultra rare Valyrian steel, and was destined for Jorah, to John Snow.

An interesting development, since Ice was lost to the Starks when Ned was killed, leaving John Snow the only one of the Stark children to have a Valyrian steel weapon.
Also, check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
series while you are there.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
It's easy to miss, but Mormont also gave his sword, Longclaw, which is the ultra rare Valyrian steel, and was destined for Jorah, to John Snow.

An interesting development, since Ice was lost to the Starks when Ned was killed, leaving John Snow the only one of the Stark children to have a Valyrian steel weapon.
Yes, now that I do remember.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
LordKronos

Quote:
I recall a scene (just before the attempted assassination on Dany) where he got some mail and it contained a pardon. He then thwarted the attempt on Dany's life. I don't recall the details of the pardon, though. Others here might have better memories.
Yes, the pardon came at the same time that Varys has the assassination attempt made, so I made a connection between the 2 there. Also, we had other clues. When Jonah found out Dany was pregnant, he said he had to ride to Pentos or some other city. It seemed to me that he had to let someone know. Shortly after, when Arya was in the dungeon hiding behind the dragon skulls and the 2 people were talking, one of those people was Varys, and he was being told by the other that Dany was pregnant. Shortly after that, at the Kings council (or whatever it's called) when they were discussing with Robert that Dany was pregnant, I believe they said Jorah was the source of the info.