TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Peter000

Thumbs up Mad Men 4/29/12 "At the Codfish Ball"

Now that was an episode of Mad Men! Perfectly paced, good ad stuff, funny dialog.

Saving the Heinz account at dinner was perfect. As was the whole Award dinner scene–in the space of 2 minutes everyone's lifestyle and beliefs are shaken.

I loved the last exchange of the show... "How's the City?" "Dirty." SO perfect!

Also enjoyed meeting the in-laws & Roger in prime form (though the tryst with the French mom bothered me). Peggy's story is meh, but maybe it's that I just don't relate.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes. That was a great episode.

Grandma tripping over the phone cord, but it being blamed on 'gene's toy'. Oh Sally you are so bad.

Interesting with Heinz. Megan thought of the idea, others thought Don thought of it and gave it to her, then in the end she gives it back to Don to pitch to save the account. Maybe he always was going to pitch it but it was played perfectly.

Peggy and Abe living in sin was great because it was just starting to happen at that time. And parents were reacting just as Peggy's mom did. I loved the line "and give me back my cake."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
vman41
Omega Consumer

I didn't quite understand the conversation between Megan and her dad, was he really 100% behind her becoming an actress or just disgust and the profession she was currently in. Megan's interaction with Peggy was strange as well.

I was reading Future Shock over the weekend and a factoid that popped out because of this show was that Lucky Strike's market share declined from 14 to 6 percent between 1956 and 1966. Sterling Cooper apparently wasn't that good an ad agency, after all.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Peggy and Abe living in sin was great because it was just starting to happen at that time. And parents were reacting just as Peggy's mom did. I loved the line "and give me back my cake."
The second Peggy agreed to that, I just knew what was coming with regards to her old-school Catholic mother. We'll be lucky to see Peaches' mom for the rest of the season, maybe the rest of the series. (Peggy's sister will likely act as their go-between from now on - we haven't seen her yet this season.)

At first I thought Don was harsh about prohibiting Sally's makeup and boots, but in the end he was right. She is only 10, I think.

I was shocked and astonished seeing 1) Bobby playing with the ink bottle on the white carpet, 2) Megan's father Emile passive aggressively doing nothing about it, and 3) Don's lack of reaction to the whole thing! Megan's father is a real tool. No wonder his wife cheats on him. Poor Sally got more education than she ever wanted last night.

So I guess that was an apartment building Glen and his mother are living in now? It sort of looked like a college dormitory, but I couldn't tell for sure.

I think the scene where Don and Megan are brainstorming her Heinz campaign in Don's office is the first real work we've seen Don do this season. Good to see Roger trying to drum up work - "Go get 'em, Tiger."

ETA: I was impressed that Don and Megan's apartment had Touch-Tone phones. We didn't get one of those until 1972.

Last edited by TiVo'Brien : 04-30-2012 at 07:49 AM.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post

So I guess that was an apartment building Glen and his mother are living in now? It sort of looked like a college dormitory, but I couldn't tell for sure.
Prep school? I presume paid for by Glen's dad.

Does Abe know about Peggy having a baby? I was expecting Peggy's mom to drag that up in the inevitable argument.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
Prep school? I presume paid for by Glen's dad.
One of the kids had a "Hotchkiss" shirt, so yes, prep school.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Bob Coxner

A fascinating twist near the end as Don is told no one will ever trust him again with their account due to his betrayal of Lucky Strike. Everyone has been touting his letter as a big coup, leading to this award, and now he realizes it's probably the worst career move he's ever made.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
A fascinating twist near the end as Don is told no one will ever trust him again with their account due to his betrayal of Lucky Strike. Everyone has been touting his letter as a big coup, leading to this award, and now he realizes it's probably the worst career move he's ever made.
Yeah, I felt a punch to the stomach with that line.

What a great, solid episode. Probably the best of the season so far. But with Mad Men you can't discount any episode as it took so many previous moments to generate all we saw in this one.

but, the writing was solid, the advertising was back, the relationships are complex and falling over each other, everything was hitting.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Anyone else find Joan's use of the phrase, "it is what it is" when she was talking to Peggy an anachronism? The first time I ever heard that phrase was around 2008, never before, and certainly not in the 60's. I'm surprised Weiner let that slip through.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
That was a great bit of a twist. And Don's face shows what a surprise that was.

All of them sitting at the table at the end, all lost in their own worlds was right on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I was shocked and astonished seeing 1) Bobby playing with the ink bottle on the white carpet, 2) Megan's father Emile passive aggressively doing nothing about it, and 3) Don's lack of reaction to the whole thing!
All of the above! I saw the ink bottle and ink and the white rug and thought "oh no! here it comes!"

Maybe Don didn't get upset because it didn't register like it would have with Betty seeing it.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Anyone else find Joan's use of the phrase, "it is what it is" when she was talking to Peggy an anachronism? The first time I ever heard that phrase was around 2008, never before, and certainly not in the 60's. I'm surprised Weiner let that slip through.
That stuck out like a sore thumb to me too, next week it will be "It's all good"
Loved this episode.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Random observation I had that sent me running to the internet to see if it was feasible: Don's apartment has a pushbutton phone. I didn't realize they had those back then, but they did (TouchTone was started in limited areas, including NYC, in 1963).
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

A TWoP poster points out the cigarette haze at the Cancer Society dinner.

I didn't even notice that.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
A TWoP poster points out the cigarette haze at the Cancer Society dinner.

I didn't even notice that.
Oh I saw people smoking at the event.

Wow Sally is going to be one messed up teen/adult.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Peter000

Quote:
That doesn't mean the phrase didn't exist before you heard it.

Here's an interesting discussion about the phrase.

http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php...ewthread/2908/

It certainly didn't sound out of place to me in the show.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post

Lots of coke with strangers at Studio 54 in 1978 for Miss Sally.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
That scene kinda pissed me off. I'm far from a prude but I thought that scene was totally unnecessary. Plus I don't think even Roger is that big of a cad to do that with Megan's mom, let alone do it in the middle of a big room that anybody could walk in on.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
mwhip
All better

What I am curious about is the actress who plays Sally said recently this was the first year she is allowed to watch the show, how do you explain that? Because you know they shot it as two different shots, she was not reacting to what she thought.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
That scene kinda pissed me off. I'm far from a prude but I thought that scene was totally unnecessary. Plus I don't think even Roger is that big of a cad to do that with Megan's mom, let alone do it in the middle of a big room that anybody could walk in on.
Yes, me too. I thought it was stretching things a bit. Well, I could see him doing it with Megan's mom but not where and when it was done.

I did notice the smoke. Ironic.

Also, when Peggy's mom came to visit and Abe took her coat, he just tossed it on the couch. I laughed at that.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
Of course Roger is that big of a cad. are you forgetting his backstreet tryst with Joan? Even more public than this one.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I don't think even Roger is that big of a cad to do that with Megan's mom, let alone do it in the middle of a big room that anybody could walk in on.
As has been said, sure Roger is, and Mme. Calvet was at LEAST as much the instigator as Roger was -- she was all over him.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
She was all over Don too.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
avery

Great episode!

• I loved Roger's rapport with Sally. It was fun, endearing and perfect. Kiernan Shipka is a great young actor.

• Sally gets a pass for her fib that Grandma Francis tripped on Gene's toy. She IS Betty's child and I can look the other way on her self-preservation tactic, while enjoying being lauded for her maturity and quick thinking and being treated as a mini-adult... just surprised Bobby didn't rat her out!

• Interesting [to me] that Megan's father strays [and makes his wife semi-miserable] yet she didn't seem to find it a red-flag or an obstacle when it came to Don – even after knowing his pattern and how the *Dump Faye* project went down.

• Can't decide if Mama Olson reclaimed her cake solely for spite or because it had an anticipatory "Congratulations Peggy and Abraham" iced on top. She did make a point of telling Peggy not to open the cake box... perhaps Peggy had initially shared the "expected" news with her mom, after Joan planted the idea in her head.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery View Post
• Can't decide if Mama Olson reclaimed her cake solely for spite or because it had an anticipatory "Congratulations Peggy and Abraham" iced on top. She did make a point of telling Peggy not to open the cake box... perhaps Peggy had initially shared the "expected" news with her mom, after Joan planted the idea in her head.
Interesting thought. I think they would have showed the Mom opening the cake and throwing out when she got home or something. I interpreted the Mom's comment about not opening the cake to be more about how she didn't view Peggy as an adult and didn't trust her to not mess up the cake.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I interpreted the Mom's comment about not opening the cake to be more about how she didn't view Peggy as an adult and didn't trust her to not mess up the cake.
I think this was it, she mentioned it was "delicate" and she would do it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery View Post
Great episode!

• I loved Roger's rapport with Sally. It was fun, endearing and perfect. Kiernan Shipka is a great young actor.
Roger was doing a good job making Sally welcome at a table ( room even ) full of adults. He treated her well, not like a little child. She was responding to his charm and seemed to be enjoying herself. She even ate the fish w/o complaints, even seeming to enjoy her first bite. It was nice to see her looking like a well behaved child and not her normal bad seed character.

That's what made it so bad for her once she saw Roger and Megan's mom. Both of them had been nice to her that day and it just pulled the rug out from under her. All the joy she'd felt that evening left her in a flash.
The next time she acts wacko I'm probably going to feel a little more sorry for her.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #28
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

This ep was grade A....Mad Men at its best and perhaps the best ep in the past two seasons. Sally walking in on the BJ was a laugh out loud moment for me. It was strange to be happening where it happened, but it was vintage Roger and just hilarious...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #29
DeDondeEs

I am wondering if that dinner will mark a turning point for Sally to be more sympathetic to her mom and less affectionate of her Dad, since she saw all of the shenanigans and fakery that goes on where her Dad works and now she knows what it feels like to be let down by them.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I am wondering if that dinner will mark a turning point for Sally to be more sympathetic to her mom and less affectionate of her Dad, since she saw all of the shenanigans and fakery that goes on where her Dad works and now she knows what it feels like to be let down by them.
I sure hope not as this would probably mean more January Jones screen time.

It's amazing how good these episodes can be, Francis Family Free.