TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Kenn159

Transfering Tivo recordered content to a PC

Question for the Tivo-ainiacs?

I have two things I would like to achieve ...just wondering if there is a way I can do this
1.I would like to transfer Tivo recorded tv shows from my Tivo to my pc computer.

2.I would like to dump my phone land line, which is only there for the sole purpose of a connection of the tivo program guide for my Tivo.

I guess normally the best way would be hook both the PC and the Tivo to a router hooked to a cable modem.
Although, I do not have Cable or DSL coming into my home... I do have a couple router's in my computer stuff stash though.
I get online with my PC via tethering it to my cell phone.

My Tivo's units are a series 2 Toshiba TX120 and a Tivo series 3 HD.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Kenn159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

These aren't really Underground issues. Extracting programs is a normal, supported service now, except that some are copy-prohibited. TiVo Desktop is the official way, otherwise you can use the built-in web interface, or kmttg, or pyTivo, or etc. Getting your TiVos onto a LAN is a prerequisite for any of these, of course. (For programs that are copy-prohibited, I suppose extraction is still a banned subject on TCF. But cross that bridge when you come to it.)

Once you've got everything on a LAN, you can use Internet Connection Sharing on your PC to route its Internet service to the TiVos. I hope you have unlimited data on your phone plan.

P.S. In your situation, you don't need a router, just a switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn159 View Post
Question for the Tivo-ainiacs?

I have two things I would like to achieve ...just wondering if there is a way I can do this
1.I would like to transfer Tivo recorded tv shows from my Tivo to my pc computer.

2.I would like to dump my phone land line, which is only there for the sole purpose of a connection of the tivo program guide for my Tivo.

I guess normally the best way would be hook both the PC and the Tivo to a router hooked to a cable modem.
Although, I do not have Cable or DSL coming into my home... I do have a couple router's in my computer stuff stash though.
I get online with my PC via tethering it to my cell phone.

My Tivo's units are a series 2 Toshiba TX120 and a Tivo series 3 HD.
Any help would be much appreciated.
The free version of TiVo Desktop will handle the first one, although there are open source programs that will also work.

The Series 3 has a built in Ethernet jack, or it can use the TiVo wireless G adapter plugged into one of its USB ports.

If that Toshiba is the one I think it is, you should be able to plug into one of its USB jacks either the TiVo wireless G adapter or one of the approved USB to wired Ethernet adapters like the Netgear FA120.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
SNJpage1

I think in order to transfer the Tivo recordings to the PC he would be better off networking the two of them with a router. However to do it cheaply he could use a NIC in the computer and then connect them with a cross over cord. I dont know if Tivo Desktop would work doing it that way.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn159 View Post
I get online with my PC via tethering it to my cell phone..
Once you get your network set up you can get your guide data by manually forcing a connection to the Tivo mothership once a day. Then you can get rid of your phone line. That is if you can get your router to see out of your teathering but if not just turn ICS on the PC and do it that way.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote