TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
herbman

Cancel questions

I have a 12.95 premiere, about to come up on 1 year commitment on 5/2. I am also moving and will not have the TiVo out of storage for a few months, so I want to cancel. Cable cutoff is 5/9.

The questions:
1. When is the earliest I can call to cancel? Can I do it now such that I won't autorenew on 5/2 and pay for the month I'll only be using a week of? What will my premiere do for that week if I do so?
2. If/when I resume, will I still get the 12.95 rate?

Thanks!
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Sounds like you are basically going to cancel it for one month.
If that is the case, I wouldn't bother.
I just think having to call TiVo to cancel, and then resubscribing later would be more of a hassle.

Consider how much you value your time. It may be cheaper to just pay for the month you won't be using it and keep the subscription active.

Plus, I wouldn't take the chance of losing the $12.95 rate.

Edit: I see that you may have the Tivo offline for a few months? That makes the decision a little more difficult.
I would call TiVo and explain your situation. Maybe they will put a note in your account so that when you call to re-subscribe, you can still get the $12.95 rate.

If you do cancel and your Premiere gets that status, it will become a dumb TV tuner with no live buffers or EPG, and (IIRC) you will only be able to watch recordings straight through (no trick play functions).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 04-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

You could call to cancel, see if they make you a deal. If its a deal you like take the deal, if not see if they can suspend the service for the month you wont be using it and carry it over. Either way unless you are canceling TiVo for good i agree with the previous post that it would be to much hassle to actually cancel just to start it back up in 30 days time.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
herbman

It's going to be a few months minimum, but, more annoyingly I am not sure yet if I will even be able to use it where we eventually land, due to cable considerations. Hence, the if/when..

The question is really about the week and how long after cancellation I would have before the TiVo becomes a doorstop.

I suppose I could just pull the Ethernet that week.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

If your monthly subscription renews on 5/2, you can cancel the subscription anytime during the current subscription period (4/2 to 5/1) and your subscription will run until the paid period ends. If you want it to continue to run through 5/9 when your cable gets disconnected, just unplug the ethernet before the subscription ends.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
herbman

TiVo just did me a solid. They are simply suspending billing (but not service) for four months to give us move time, and when billing resumes it will retain the 12.95 rate. Not too shabby!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
lrhorer

No, not shabby, at all. It's win-win for both TiVo and you. They get a good shot at keeping a customer and you don't have to pay for service you aren't using.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
TiVo just did me a solid. They are simply suspending billing (but not service) for four months to give us move time, and when billing resumes it will retain the 12.95 rate. Not too shabby!
Was just about to post my experience after reading the OP. I was given the same courtesy when I moved, back in November.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote