TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #31
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I've never seen Law and Order and I'm pretty sure I got all of the jokes.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm just glad that no one complained that the reference this week was too obscure....

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #33
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Troy: How did we get the short straw?
Abed: It's not a short straw. It's a hot potato.
Troy: Yeah, well, it looks pretty cold to me.
Abed: Cold or dead?.
Troy: Survey says...
Abed: We can't both do the zinger.
Was it zinger or stinger?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #34
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I'm just glad that no one complained that the reference this week was too obscure....
Which is funny, cause I've never seen an episode of Law & Order (or any police procedural, I avoid them like the plague) so I had to get by on my pop culture osmosis. It didn't hit as hard for me as some people in this thread, but damn if I didn't lose my **** at "Man's gotta have a code." I think the Dean and I had the same reaction.

Also, Britta instagram is just fantastic. I love how Britta has transformed into such a great character.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #35
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Prof. Kane: I know you did the work. I'll give you a passing grade.
Annie: You mean a C?!?! I might as well get pregnant on a bus bench!
I turned CC on and it made no sense then. And I still don't get it.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I turned CC on and it made no sense then. And I still don't get it.
To someone as driven as Annie, being merely a C student is akin to being a juvenile delinquent.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #37
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I've never seen Law and Order and I'm pretty sure I got all of the jokes.
Yeah, I think a lot of the stuff could be seen as general cop show allusions, even if many/most of them had specific references to L&O. I think I only watched part of S1 of L&O on DVD in the past few years.. I never really got into it, but I didn't absolutely hate it. I even like cop shows as a genre, so thought "ooh, a gold mine -- tons of seasons of L&O to catch up on".. But it didn't really grab me. Still, I could see trying it again some time if I ever run out of stuff to watch (yeah right).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I really liked this episode. Might even be my favorite Community episode ever.

I used to watch a lot of the Law and Order shows. Haven't seen any of it in quite a few years. Didn't matter as it all came back.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #39
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
The line that really made me LOL was Britta's:

I transferred, or "downloaded," the picture to my computer.

It summed up so perfectly the idiotic way they treat technology on all of the police procedurals.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #40
USAFSSO

Again another hit out of the park. I wonder if they had Mr. Wolf on set as a consultant, they did give him a "Special Thanks" in the credits.

USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #41
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Since they're shows on the same network, getting away with things like that is a little easier. (I was always surprised at how they got away with the Cougar Town stuff, i fact.)

As someone who never saw L&O I don't think I got nearly as much out of this one as most of y'all, but it was still fairly funny.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #42
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I loved this episode but I have always been a huge Law and Order fan. I loved so much of it but cracked up when they got the same coroner.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #43
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I think they got all the nuances of L&O right.
100% agreed. I don't know if it was the pacing, or the background noise, or the cinematography, or the writing, or all of it but it really felt like an L&O episode. This one is definitely in my top 3 (with zombies and paintball).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Not many people know this, I think, but the "actor" who played him isn't an actor at all -- he's a contributing writer on the show. And he asked them to write Star-Burns out so he wouldn't have to act anymore.
Dino Stamatopoulos (had to copy/paste that one, whew!) also has an animated series on Cartoon Network, "Mary Shelley's Frankenhole" which is pretty funny.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #44
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I haven't watched L&O in many years (Chris Noth and Michael Moriority were on it last time I watched), but I definitely got most of the jokes. And that's the the thing about Community. If the parody is popular enough, most people will get it and think it's funny. It's when they go for parodying something the vast majority of their audience has no clue about that the show falls flat for all but those who "get it". The show about that obscure 80s movie with the dinner. Unless you'd seen the movie a lot of what they were parodying got lost. While some stuff was still funny, a lot of the audience is sitting there going...huh? This one, even those who aren't regular viewers of L&O could get enough of the jokes because the show has been on so long it's part of pop culture, and it's also been parodied often.

Anyway, I thought this might have been the best of the season. Lots of great jokes that most of you have already talked about.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
100% agreed. I don't know if it was the pacing, or the background noise, or the cinematography, or the writing, or all of it but it really felt like an L&O episode. This one is definitely in my top 3 (with zombies and paintball).

Dino Stamatopoulos (had to copy/paste that one, whew!) also has an animated series on Cartoon Network, "Mary Shelley's Frankenhole" which is pretty funny.
He also did the series Moral Oral on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #46
sfenton

This weeks Entertainment Weekly (Avengers cover) has 2 page dissection of the episode. It says they paid dearly to license the sound effect.
sfenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #47
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Forgot to mention, but I loved how they digitized the normal Community theme song and played it with a synthesizer, so it sounds just like the lame L&O into music.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #48
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
He also did the series Moral Oral on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
WOW.. Now I'm way more of a fan of Star Burns!! That show was hilarious! (BTW, I'm an atheist).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #49
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I haven't watched L&O in many years (Chris Noth and Michael Moriority were on it last time I watched), but I definitely got most of the jokes. And that's the the thing about Community. If the parody is popular enough, most people will get it and think it's funny. It's when they go for parodying something the vast majority of their audience has no clue about that the show falls flat for all but those who "get it". The show about that obscure 80s movie with the dinner. Unless you'd seen the movie a lot of what they were parodying got lost. While some stuff was still funny, a lot of the audience is sitting there going...huh? This one, even those who aren't regular viewers of L&O could get enough of the jokes because the show has been on so long it's part of pop culture, and it's also been parodied often.

Anyway, I thought this might have been the best of the season. Lots of great jokes that most of you have already talked about.
It's your opinion, but you are wrong about this part. Plenty of people still find episodes funny even if they do not get the reference. How do I know? I don't always get the reference, and my friends don't, but we all have enjoyed almost every episode of Community.
Shaunnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #50
robbhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
It's your opinion, but you are wrong about this part. Plenty of people still find episodes funny even if they do not get the reference. How do I know? I don't always get the reference, and my friends don't, but we all have enjoyed almost every episode of Community.
if you go back and read previous community threads on tivocommunity you'll find that a lot of people who don't get the theme episodes hate those episodes and don't find them funny at all. i'm with you though, even if i don't get the theme, i still find a majority of the episodes funny. on this forum we're in the minority
robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Well, umm...it's my opinion. In YOUR opinion, it's wrong

Anyway, I have found some of the episodes where I didn't get the references funny, true. But some, where the episode is primary about a certain reference that I personally didn't get, I spent the majority of the episode scratching my head, wondering if this or that was supposed to be funny in context to the reference. For me two episodes come to mind, the D&D and the Dinner with (whatever that was, I forget the movie reference). For both, as a non D&D player and a person who didn't see that movie, the episodes were a big "Huh?" Other's like the zombie episode, even though I'm not a zombie movie fan, the references were generic enough overall that I got them.

But I keep rehashing this. I should stop Community, for all it's faults is still one of my favorite shows. When it's on, there's nothing funnier.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #52
Shaunnick

Quote:
Fair enough.
Shaunnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #53
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Anyway, I have found some of the episodes where I didn't get the references funny, true. But some, where the episode is primary about a certain reference that I personally didn't get, I spent the majority of the episode scratching my head, wondering if this or that was supposed to be funny in context to the reference. For me two episodes come to mind, the D&D and the Dinner with (whatever that was, I forget the movie reference). For both, as a non D&D player and a person who didn't see that movie, the episodes were a big "Huh?" Other's like the zombie episode, even though I'm not a zombie movie fan, the references were generic enough overall that I got them.

But I keep rehashing this. I should stop Community, for all it's faults is still one of my favorite shows. When it's on, there's nothing funnier.
I've never seen My Dinner With Andre, nor have I ever played D&D, but I found both of those episodes to be very funny. Even if you didn't get every subtle reference, you could still get the overall gist of the jokes, and that still makes this one of the best comedies on TV.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #54
ConstableClyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I think Community is geared toward people who are heavily immersed in movies, so I always miss the gag because its sort of an inside joke.
You are absolutely right. You have to be educated in pop culture.
ConstableClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #55
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

I'm aware of, but never watched a full episode of Law & Order... This episode was hilarious.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #56
Zevida
witless and unarmed

This might be my second favorite Community ever! So much awesome. The zingers before the intro! The intro! The clothes! The pacing! It was like watching a L&O episode. I LOVED it. Oh, and Shirley nailed Lt. Van Buren.

(And I miss Law & Order.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Here's a good article about the episode:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...lf_series.html
I did not like that article! It was really insulting to L&O which was a show that had a lot of greatness over the years. I don't think Community was making fun of L&O, I think it was an affectionate parody that played up the formula of the show.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #57
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I don't think Community was making fun of L&O, I think it was an affectionate parody that played up the formula of the show.
What really made it hit home for me what a formula L&O was was when I watched an episode of the UK version.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote