TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1561
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you burn an image as an image, you don't want the image file changed or added to in any way, and Windows idea of how to make it bootable might very well involve adding something.
Yes. If Windows is doing something to "make it bootable" then it's probably not burning the .ISO image. You want the image burned exactly as-is. That's why it was saved as an .ISO image. If it's supposed to be bootable, that functionality is already a part of the saved image. And (to give a specific example) if a big part of the content on the CD you burned is a file ending in .ISO, then it wasn't burned as an image.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #1562
ncfoster

Is there a prevailing wisdom as to the best drive(s) for use in upgrading a Premiere these days? I believe that I read somewhere a while back that things didn't always work quite as intended when using a 2TB drive, etc. So, is 1TB the way to go, or has this been resolved, and/or maybe it was overblown? Thanks.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #1563
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

2TB is the best value, and no issues upgrading from a stock TiVo 320GB HDD.

1st Choice
WD20EURS, 2TB WD AV-GP same model in the Elite/XL4 - "Designed to last in always-on, streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVRs, DVRs and surveillance video recorders."
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B0042AG9V8

2nd Choice
WD20EARX, 2TB Caviar Green Desktop Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B004VFJ9MK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 04-28-2012 at 05:07 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #1564
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

1st Choice
WD20EURS, 2TB WD AV-GP same model in the Elite/XL4 - "Designed to last in always-on, streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVRs, DVRs and surveillance video recorders."

2nd Choice
WD20EARX, 2TB Caviar Green Desktop Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B004VFJ9MK
Thank you so much for the concise and useful response. Finger is on the trigger.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #1565
robo456

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
1st Choice
I picked up the EURS and was curious if you guys know if you still have to run the wdidle3 utility to disable the intellipark still?

Thanks for any info!

--rob
robo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #1566
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo456 View Post
I picked up the EURS and was curious if you guys know if you still have to run the wdidle3 utility to disable the intellipark still?

Thanks for any info!

--rob
No, I did not. I do not think it is required.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #1567
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo456 View Post

Thanks for any info!

--rob
Just download the image and burn the cd and boot with it and run wdidle3. If it doesn't need it it won't let it do anything, no harm done.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #1568
robo456

Quote:
Just download the image and burn the cd and boot with it and run wdidle3. If it doesn't need it it won't let it do anything, no harm done.

Thanks much!

--rob
robo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #1569
ncfoster

My WD20EURS came today. I am surprised that I do not see more talk elsewhere about preparing drives. Is that not something that people bother with anymore? I was under the impression that large modern drives were actually more prone to bad sectors, etc. which one might want to map out before installing a new drive. I also wondered whether one needed to do anything differently with these AV-specific drives than a normal one, since I understand that they deliberately do less error-correction. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #1570
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
My WD20EURS came today. I am surprised that I do not see more talk elsewhere about preparing drives. Is that not something that people bother with anymore? I was under the impression that large modern drives were actually more prone to bad sectors, etc. which one might want to map out before installing a new drive. I also wondered whether one needed to do anything differently with these AV-specific drives than a normal one, since I understand that they deliberately do less error-correction. Anyone have any thoughts?
Download the image for the bootable cd with the WD diagnostic software on it and burn yourself a copy (burn as image). Search wd20eurs on the wd web site, look to left of results page for link or button that says "downloads" to get to page with images.

Run the long test on the drive.

Go here:

http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-crit...reen-hdds.html

find link for WDIDLE3 ISO image

download and burn as image and use it to disable Intellipark.

If that's a 4K drive, I don't know if you have to do anything special or not.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #1571
ncfoster

Thanks to everyone. I have the new drive up and running. I did neglect to look into the AAM setting, but I have seen at least some suggestion that the A/V drives, such as the WD20EURS that I used, do not need to be tuned, as they are already setup ideally for this purpose.

I don't recall what the old drive sounded like, but I am the sort to limit noise whenever possible, even if the difference is minimal. Should I leave well-enough alone, or is there benefit to be gained even on this drive?

Thank you all again.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #1572
unitron

Quote:
Thanks to everyone. I have the new drive up and running. I did neglect to look into the AAM setting, but I have seen at least some suggestion that the A/V drives, such as the WD20EURS that I used, do not need to be tuned, as they are already setup ideally for this purpose.

I don't recall what the old drive sounded like, but I am the sort to limit noise whenever possible, even if the difference is minimal. Should I leave well-enough alone, or is there benefit to be gained even on this drive?

Thank you all again.
Just so you know that AAM and Intellipark/wdidle3 are two different, unrelated things.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #1573
ncfoster

Quote:
Just so you know that AAM and Intellipark/wdidle3 are two different, unrelated things.
Yes, I am aware of that. I ran the Intellipark tool. I found that the drive already had it off, as expected. I am wondering about the AAM issue.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #1574
unitron

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of that. I ran the Intellipark tool. I found that the drive already had it off, as expected. I am wondering about the AAM issue.
Okay, some people get them confused.

I never paid any attention to the noise thing as long as the drive sounded "normal", there's usually something else running that would drown it out, so fear I'm no help on the finer points of fine tuning that.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #1575
ncfoster

One note I'd like to add for folks, especially those who watched the video mentioned in the thread, is that there isn't a lot of space to unscrew the drive rails from the case, at least the two further from the edge of the case. The video depicts using a small power drill with a torx bit. While my drill is admittedly bigger, I found it awkward to unscrew the two interior screws, given the relatively short length of the torx bit and the girth of the drill. So, if you have the opportunity to get a longer torx bit, I'd recommend it.

Side question: Am I the only one who had one of the metal standoffs come out of the motherboard when performing this operation? I found the design and construction largely very good, but I was surprised at this.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #1576
lessd

Quote:
One note I'd like to add for folks, especially those who watched the video mentioned in the thread, is that there isn't a lot of space to unscrew the drive rails from the case, at least the two further from the edge of the case. The video depicts using a small power drill with a torx bit. While my drill is admittedly bigger, I found it awkward to unscrew the two interior screws, given the relatively short length of the torx bit and the girth of the drill. So, if you have the opportunity to get a longer torx bit, I'd recommend it.

Side question: Am I the only one who had one of the metal standoffs come out of the motherboard when performing this operation? I found the design and construction largely very good, but I was surprised at this.
Yes the standoffs can come off, so one must not use a power driver to remove the drive or replace the drive unless you driver has a low torque setting.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #1577
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes the standoffs can come off, so one must not use a power driver to remove the drive or replace the drive unless you driver has a low torque setting.
It does have a variable torque. I think it was below half, but probably not low enough. Thanks...for future reference.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #1578
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Husky 6-Piece Torx Screwdriver Set

Here is what I used, light hand power only.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...et-114546.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg torxhanddriver.jpg (8.1 KB, 252 views)

Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #1579
nrnoble

Thanks to the OP from takiing the time to put this together.

A suggestion, and highly recommended, is to move the files off MediaFire and put the files on a virus free virtual drive from MS, Google, PogoPlug, Apple, Dropbox, etc. Medifire is a mine field of dangerous links and popups, such as the fake virus scans that install malware. Having TiVo users go there is just asking them to download files from unsafe location. Given that there are safe virtual drives with free space, its recommended to use those instead of mediafire.

Thanks
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #1580
nrnoble

What is not clear to me is the difference between "copying and "expanding".

If I am going from a stock Tivo HDD to a 2TB drive. Do I need to expand the HDD after copy?

Thanks
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #1581
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post

If I am going from a stock Tivo HDD to a 2TB drive. Do I need to expand the HDD after copy?

Thanks
Yes.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #1582
nrnoble

Thanks

I successfully followed the instructions (or errors reported). Put the new 2TB into the Premiere and booted the TiVo.

For over 20 minutes the Tivo was on the screen that says "Almost there, just a few more minutes" I hope that is just a one time initialization because of the new 2TB drive; 20-25 minutes to boot up is a long time. My Series S3 Tivos have 2TB HDD, and only take 1-2 minutes to boot up.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #1583
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks

I successfully followed the instructions (or errors reported). Put the new 2TB into the Premiere and booted the TiVo.

For over 20 minutes the Tivo was on the screen that says "Almost there, just a few more minutes" I hope that is just a one time initialization because of the new 2TB drive; 20-25 minutes to boot up is a long time. My Series S3 Tivos have 2TB HDD, and only take 1-2 minutes to boot up.
I assume that:
1. you used JMFS to do the copy, expand, and optionally, supersize.
2. you don't have a Gigabyte motherboard or you connected the drives via USB.
3. the stock drive wasn't totally dead.
4. you didn't boot windows with the drives attached (not a problem in and of itself, just potentially.

What were the reported errors? After you did the expand, did it report the size? What model Premiere?

The laws of physics must work differently in your house if your TiVo 3s are booting up in 1-2 minutes.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #1584
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I assume that:
1. you used JMFS to do the copy, expand, and optionally, supersize.
2. you don't have a Gigabyte motherboard or you connected the drives via USB.
3. the stock drive wasn't totally dead.
4. you didn't boot windows with the drives attached (not a problem in and of itself, just potentially.

What were the reported errors? After you did the expand, did it report the size? What model Premiere?

The laws of physics must work differently in your house if your TiVo 3s are booting up in 1-2 minutes.

I did things as listed (copy, expand), but didn't "supersize" because I didn't have the option. Once finished, it reported I had 1.71TB free space. No errors were reported at any time.

the orginal HDD was brand new, only used to record 2-3 recordings to verify the TiVo worked before upgrading the HDD.

Model is the basic Premiere with 320GB HDD.

I've not timed the booting of the S3 down to the second, so maybe it takes 3 minutes, but I think your smart enough to understand the point I was trying to make even if I have not timed the S3 boot time with a stopwatch. Feel free to tell me exactly how many total seconds it takes for S3 to boot, so I won't make such errors in the future.
Tivo user since 1999.

Last edited by nrnoble : 05-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #1585
lpwcomp

Quote:
I did things as listed (copy, expand), but didn't "supersize" because I didn't have the option.
That makes no sense.

Quote:
Once finished, it reported I had 1.71TB free space.
I thought JMFS reported # of hours capacity but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
the orginal HDD was brand new, only used to record 2-3 recordings to verify the TiVo worked before upgrading the HDD.

Model is the basic Premiere with 320GB HDD
Check all of the internal connections. If they seem OK, try to bring it up again. If it is still stuck after 10 minutes ( shouldn't take that long but just to be sure), put the original drive back in and see if it works.

Your previous post said "(or errors reported)". Should that have been "(no errors reported)"? If the former, what were they? If not or they were write errors, then hook the new drive up to the computer and run the manufacturers diagnostics.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #1586
nrnoble

Well it does appear that booting the first time with the new 2TB needed to go through a longer init phase (20-25 minutes), after it was booted & running successully, I rebooted the TiVo and it only took a couple of minutes to get to the TiVo Central screen. Thx
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #1587
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well it does appear that booting the first time with the new 2TB needed to go through a longer init phase (20-25 minutes), after it was booted & running successully, I rebooted the TiVo and it only took a couple of minutes to get to the TiVo Central screen. Thx
Glad it is working now but it shouldn't have taken any extra time when you first started it. I'm also still confused about the Supersize thing. What does System Info report as capacity?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #1588
nrnoble

The Tivo's system information menu reports I have the capacity of 291 hours, which seems about right because my S3 TiVos report having the capacity of 237 hours. Seems to be working fine now.

When it was when I ran the jmfs tools that is I do not recall any option to "supersize". After booting from the Lived CD, it gave me the options to Copy, Expand, Exit, Shutdown. I copied the from orginal to new 2TB HDD (recordings transfered), then I selected to "Expand" new HDD, which reported a free space change from 320GB, to 1.71TB. that is what I recall happening. I may have over looked something, but I proceeded slowly so not to make any mistakes. I mostly was concerned about wiping out existing data on my PC's System drive (also 2TB HDD) by selecting the wrong target, so I tripled checked everything before proceeding.

What function does "supersizing" perform?

Thanks
Tivo user since 1999.

Last edited by nrnoble : 05-19-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #1589
unitron

Quote:
The Tivo's system information menu reports I have the capacity of 291 hours, which seems about right because my S3 TiVos report having the capacity of 237 hours. Seems to be working fine now.

When it was when I ran the jmfs tools that is I do not recall any option to "supersize". After booting from the Lived CD, it gave me the options to Copy, Expand, Exit, Shutdown. I copied the from orginal to new 2TB HDD (recordings transfered), then I selected to "Expand" new HDD, which reported a free space change from 320GB, to 1.71TB. that is what I recall happening. I may have over looked something, but I proceeded slowly so not to make any mistakes. I mostly was concerned about wiping out existing data on my PC's System drive (also 2TB HDD) by selecting the wrong target, so I tripled checked everything before proceeding.

What function does "supersizing" perform?

Thanks

There is some space somewhere on the original drive's MFS partitions that TiVo has reserved for recording advertising on, like when it records 30 minutes of paid tv to get the movie trailers and junk for which it puts a link at the bottom of every menu page. I think that stuff is called showcases.

Supersizing "unreserves" that space. Doesn't mean it won't record that stuff if that space is still available, just that it can no longer count on the space not having already been filled with something you wanted to record.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #1590
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:

Thanks
Yes--the copy remains the same size as your original drive, not utilizing the empty space after that. After the copy, the expand adjusts the file system tables to utilize the new space for data.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote