Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #151
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Well someone was looking for Gendry earlier in the journey.
AFAIK, that was the King's guard on Jeffy's orders. These are Lannister men....oh yeah, they did ask for Gentry.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #152
pmyers

Quote:
...The smoke queef - Yes, my first thought was the Lost Smoke Monster. I had no idea she was pregnant until she disrobed...
my take on that was that the "gestation" period was VERY short and she had no signs till right then. I assumed that romp on the table had happened the night before and she gave "birth" the next night.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #153
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
The way things are going in the story so far, I wouldn't put it past Martin (or HBO) to actually DO that.

But yeah, it appears I've been punked (or whatever the 2010s version of that is).
If I were writing the story, I'd probably do that! Which is probably why nobody has ever been interested in any of my stories.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #154
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
my take on that was that the "gestation" period was VERY short and she had no signs till right then. I assumed that romp on the table had happened the night before and she gave "birth" the next night.
well, given the time it takes to march from one place to another, I say maybe a month

they did travel by ship this time. Stannis' army must be really small.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #155
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
well, given the time it takes to march from one place to another, I say maybe a month

Or he has a lot of ships.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #156
Skullsmasher

Spoiler:
It was Robett Glover who was captured along with his men. You guys already caught that so... Not sure why Robett Glover always fascinated me but he did- and there's really not much (in the big picture) about him in the books.

Skullsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #157
LordKronos

Quote:
That Joffrey is one sick kid (is that what happens because he was born of incest?).
The funny thing about Joffrey is that when it came to killing Ned, he dismissed the advice of his mother, yet now that he is king, he seems to be bowing to the will of his Uncle.
Nope, that's not the result of incest. It's the result of bad parenting. When you've got a mother who tells you things like "If you want to [screw] painted whores you can, because the world will be exactly what you want it to be", then you can expect to have a pretty deviant, antisocial child. The real world has plenty of people raised exactly that way, and many of them turn out just as bad (though luckily few have enough power to get away with acting as terribly as Joffrey).

On the other hand, Tyrion has probably shown himself to be much more of an authority figure. I'm assuming scenes like the slap in Winterfell were probably not one-time occurrences.

Quote:
Also, is there a reason why, as king, he couldn't just tell his Uncle to either take a hike or, even have him killed?
Well, as dumb as he is, surely even Joffrey realizes his power isn't much without Tywin providing the bankroll. As we learned last season, the kingdom is quite far in debt.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #158
pmyers

Quote:

Yeah, I guess I don't know where Stannis was for the map romp in relationship to where they had that meeting on the cliff or how long it took them to get there. I guess I just assumed it had only been a couple of days.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #159
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Yeah, I guess I don't know where Stannis was for the map romp in relationship to where they had that meeting on the cliff or how long it took them to get there. I guess I just assumed it had only been a couple of days.
I'm pretty sure the meeting on the cliff was at Storms End:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of...ns/storms-end/

The maproom romp happened back at Dragonstone:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of...s/dragonstone/

As for time, I don't know, but the romp happened in episode 11 and this was episode 14, and in the other episodes we've seen a lot of time pass for the other groups. We've seen Cat ride all the way from the Robb's position in the North down to where Renley is. Then Littlefinger had to get wind that she was down there, then travel there himself with Ned's bones. I'd assume that's at least a month minimum.

Of course who knows how well the various timelines of different groups line up with each other in the show. It could be that Stannis' episode 11 could happen at the same time as Renley's episode 13, but without evidence of such, I'm going to assume things that appear in an episode together probably happen and roughly the same time.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #160
Aniketos

Quote:
That Joffrey is one sick kid (is that what happens because he was born of incest?).
Dany, Tommen and Myrcella seem fine.

Viserys and the Mad King...not so much.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #161
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Do you really think that Tywin would recognize Arya and just not tell anyone to keep her safe and secure? he would risk someone raping her or killing her for fun on her way to her new job?

he can't just trade Sensa for Jaime. He has to find Arya as well. And he's just going to take a chance on ANYTHING happening to her if he really found her?

I may end up being wrong, but I just don't see that happening.
I read audioscience's spoiler, so I know I'm probably wrong, but my theory was that Tywin recognized her (or thought that this well educated Northern girl might be Arya) and wanted to get her out of the pool of prisoners without causing too much of a stir, because if the other prisoners found out she was Arya they might be inspired to free her, and return her to the Starks, she'd have to be worth some kind of a reward, maybe even a pardon for whatever it was that got them sent to the Wall in the first place.
This was predicated on their current location being relatively close to the front lines (which I guess they aren't), and the fact that in Westeros holding the child of one's enemy as a quasi hostage seems to be a standard practice (Mad King and Jamie, Ned and Theon Greyjoy, Robert and Lancel Lannister, Sansa and Goeffery too--well, sort of)
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #162
mwhip
All better

And now an interview with the actor who "got farted at" in the beginning of the episode.

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2012/0...ns-about-farts

lol

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #163
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I read audioscience's spoiler, so I know I'm probably wrong, but my theory was that Tywin recognized her (or thought that this well educated Northern girl might be Arya) and wanted to get her out of the pool of prisoners without causing too much of a stir, because if the other prisoners found out she was Arya they might be inspired to free her, and return her to the Starks, she'd have to be worth some kind of a reward, maybe even a pardon for whatever it was that got them sent to the Wall in the first place.
This was predicated on their current location being relatively close to the front lines (which I guess they aren't), and the fact that in Westeros holding the child of one's enemy as a quasi hostage seems to be a standard practice (Mad King and Jamie, Ned and Theon Greyjoy, Robert and Lancel Lannister, Sansa and Goeffery too--well, sort of)
No offense Tiassa, you have the right thought about the whole "hostage" thing, but you've got some facts mixed up.

Theon was a ward of Ned Stark after they defeated Balon Greyjoy, that is true. He effectively acted as a hostage although they didn't treat him like one. However, Jamie Lanister was not a ward for the Mad Kind, nor hostage of any sort it was quite the opposite. He was a member of the king's guard, sworn to protect King Aerys. Additionally, Tywin Lannister was formally Hand of the King for Aerys so there were some close connections there. The close connections led to the fall of Aerys when he let Tywin and his host into the castle. It wasn't a hostile situation until Jamie killed the king and the Lannistser men took over King's Landing and killed the remaining Targaryans.

Much in the same way, Lancel Lannistser was no ward, but he was King Robert's squire. Their houses were married so it is common for someone of the connected houses to take up squireship with the other.

It's interesting how easily these things get confusing just by watching the show alone and not having any background explanation.

Last edited by audioscience : 04-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #164
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Actually, Theon was a literal hostage in the classical usage of the word. He was a noble child given to an opposing faction as insurance that a treaty would be upheld. Theon was given education and treated according to his station in the Greyjoy House, as evidenced by the act that he had a brotherly relationship with Ned Stark's children.

Last edited by Fleegle : 04-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #165
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
Actually was a literal hostage in teh classical usage of teh word.
Theon's nickname was "Actually"???
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #166
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200

Theon's nickname was "Actually"???
Post corrected.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #167
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
No offense Tiassa, you have the right thought about the whole "hostage" thing, but you've got some facts mixed up.

Theon was a ward of Ned Stark after they defeated Balon Greyjoy, that is true. He effectively acted as a hostage although they didn't treat him like one. However, Jamie Lanister was not a ward for the Mad Kind, nor hostage of any sort it was quite the opposite. He was a member of the king's guard, sworn to protect King Aerys. Additionally, Tywin Lannister was formally Hand of the King for Aerys so there were some close connections there. The close connections led to the fall of Aerys when he let Tywin and his host into the castle. It wasn't a hostile situation until Jamie killed the king and the Lannistser men took over King's Landing and killed the remaining Targaryans.

Much in the same way, Lancel Lannistser was no ward, but he was King Robert's squire. Their houses were married so it is common for someone of the connected houses to take up squireship with the other.

It's interesting how easily these things get confusing just by watching the show alone and not having any background explanation.
I guess I keep trying to see literary counterpoint in the various characters stories, like the story of the Stark children and their wolves.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #168
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

quick question: have we seen Bronn put on the gold cloak yet? I don't recall if I saw that.

if not, I wonder if there's any meaning to it. come to think of it, have we ever seen him CLEAN?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #169
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
quick question: have we seen Bronn put on the gold cloak yet? I don't recall if I saw that.

if not, I wonder if there's any meaning to it. come to think of it, have we ever seen him CLEAN?
No, I don't believe we've seen it. But I'm pretty sure he's the head of the City Watch now.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #170
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
No, I don't believe we've seen it. But I'm pretty sure he's the head of the City Watch now.
I thought the gold cloaks were the King's private bodyguards. Maybe 8 of them? And Bronn is the head of the City Watch, of which there are... lots more (1000?).

For example, the guy Tyrion didn't threaten in this episode was a gold cloak.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #171
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I thought the gold cloaks were the King's private bodyguards. Maybe 8 of them? And Bronn is the head of the City Watch, of which there are... lots more (1000?).

Gold cloaks, are the city watch, and literally called "The Gold Cloaks." The Kingsguard wear white cloaks, (you see the Hound putting his around Sansa.)
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #172
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

I thought that was the guy he did threaten--Joffrey was the one he didn't--see the difference? (or maybe I'm remembering wrong)
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #173
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I'm so annoyed at myself. I'm rewatching this past week's episode and right there in the "previously on..." they say "round up any survivors, we'll take them back to Harrenhal" and I apparently missed it the week before and then again watching this the first time around.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #174
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I'm so annoyed at myself. I'm rewatching this past week's episode and right there in the "previously on..." they say "round up any survivors, we'll take them back to Harrenhal" and I apparently missed it the week before and then again watching this the first time around.
I caught that too, but didn't catch it the first time around I know where it is!

There are a lot of little things that can be tough to catch the first time around.

New episode tomorrow!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #175
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Bah. My power is out. Looks like no show for me tonight. . Someone else will have to start the thread.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #176
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl
Bah. My power is out. Looks like no show for me tonight. . Someone else will have to start the thread.
Sorry you has to miss it. I started a thread so jump in as soon as you get to watch it. I doubt you will wait long.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote