Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #61
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by voranis View Post
I had a private company come out to run cat5 throughout my house, and the guy who came to do the work told me that the ABC signal in our area was the weakest signal--something none of the technicians sent by the cable company seemed to know about. The guy from the private company fixed my ABC signal while he was running the cat5. It turned out to be a problem with one of my coax cables, but none of the previous technicians sent by the cable company could figure it out. So I am skeptical that they will come out with the right cards...

Robbie
Remember whenever you use a coax splitter your literally cutting the single strength in half.

We had this same issue at my house when I was growing up in Marin County. Our house was very long, not tall but long so the entry point for the cable in my room was 500 feet from where the cable connected to our house. We than had eight outlets throughout the house, but the way it was done had many splitters - in some cases 3 splitters before the cable box. WE would constantly get this channel is currently unavailable. Comcast came out and installed a single booster at the entry point. It literally pumped up the single enough for the capacity we had and adding one more port would F up the picture. Also adding end caps to your coax cables that are not in use help improve your overall single since the single isnt being lost at the end of the cable anymore.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #62
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Perhaps, but what about a Premiere XL4*4 (4 tuners for both cable card AND OTA)?
I haven't heard one way or the other if there are chips that offer 2x2 on each chip.

Don't forget TiVo uses a dual chip design so to keep cost and manufacturing down someone would have to offer tuner chips that supported 4 tuners on a chip.

Assuming 2 tuners are still the limit per chip they could potentially release a XL2 which had 2 CableCARD tuners and 2 OTA tuners for use at the same time. Or as has been mentioned before they could offer a XL4 OTA with only OTA tuners. The box could cost less, but also put be a sticking point with the cable partners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #63
christoman

Is there a consensus on what would have the better resale - Elite or XL4? I'm ready to buy so not sure if I should buy out of the existing stock of Elites or go for the XL4.
christoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #64
Xab

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoman View Post
Is there a consensus on what would have the better resale - Elite or XL4? I'm ready to buy so not sure if I should buy out of the existing stock of Elites or go for the XL4.
Well since the units are identical in every way (even the Elite badging on the XL4) the only thing that's different is the outer box. So it should be the exact same.
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #65
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoman View Post
Some think the "Elites" may be worth MORE since they will be rare. I personally would think that some folks would want the "newer model" simply out of ignorance. In my case? It's just a name and I'd buy whatever one was the best deal.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

As soon as an XL6 comes out, I guess I'll find out how a used Elite will sell. If an XL6 comes out I will want to replace one of my ELites.

If they do ever come out and they use a 3TB drive, I would even want to replace both my Elites.

But I would think it it ever happens, it will be on a new platform with a faster processor and more memory. The current platform already has issues when you get up to nine concurrent HD streams. With a six tuner box it would need to do at least 10 concurrent HD streams
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #67
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voranis View Post
BTW, I should say that while cable service might be good in most areas, the technicians our cable company has sent out to my house in the past six months have been very bad, so I don't have confidence that they will show up with the right cards. I had a problem with my ABC HD signal. The cable company sent out three technicians--all third-party contractors--and none of them were able to correct the problem.

One of the technicians not only arrived late but when he tried to fix the problem, it made my cable signal (on all channels) worse. He tried to leave in a hurry saying he had another appointment and I was checking the channels and saw they had all gone bad, and I had to yell to stop him as he was flying out the door, and make him come back and undo what he had done so the signal would return to at least being OK on all the other channels as it had been before he arrived. But the ABC HD signal problem was still not fixed.

Another technician they sent out said it was too late in the day to try to diagnose the problem and that the appointment should have been scheduled in the morning--well how was I supposed to know that? When I scheduled the service appointment with the cable company, they scheduled it for early evening, so how was I supposed to know? It seemed like every technician they sent out either didn't know what they were doing or didn't want to do the work.

After six months of not getting the problem fixed, the cable company called me to see if I wanted to sign up for Internet phone and I said, "not until my cable signal is fixed." They offered to escalate the issue but the person I talked to after it was "escalated" said there wasn't much they could do.

I had a private company come out to run cat5 throughout my house, and the guy who came to do the work told me that the ABC signal in our area was the weakest signal--something none of the technicians sent by the cable company seemed to know about. The guy from the private company fixed my ABC signal while he was running the cat5. It turned out to be a problem with one of my coax cables, but none of the previous technicians sent by the cable company could figure it out. So I am skeptical that they will come out with the right cards...

Robbie
Just let me suggest, document everything that happens with the cable card install. If it goes anything other than smoothly, file a complaint with the FCC.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #68
lamontcranston
DBSTalker

The Premiere XL4 just showed up at solidsignal.com for pre-order. Looks cheaper than buying it straight from tivo.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...00933&more=yes
lamontcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #69
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontcranston View Post
The Premiere XL4 just showed up at solidsignal.com for pre-order. Looks cheaper than buying it straight from tivo.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...00933&more=yes
as posted in the other thread, it's been available since last fall, this is just a name/packaging change, the hardware is the same.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #70
aaronwt
HD Addict

BestBuy has the XL4 listed on their site now. But the pictures still show the Elite nameplate.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
markp99
TakoKichi

Picked up an XL4 at BB today. Could have saved a couple bucks getting online, but nothing better than buying and holding the product in the same instant.

Picked up the cablecard from Comcast on the way home.

Initial setup complete, good to go!
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #72
brianfuchs

I'm holding out for the XL10.

Seriously, while I think the name change is a decent idea, I certainly hope it comes with a Tivo that works well. I owned an Elite for 30 days, and despised the way it pixellated most recordings and rebooted for no reason. Tired of being an unpaid beta-tester, I returned it and got an XL (ummm....XL2?). I've been ecstatic ever since.
TiVo 4. Premiere XL
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote