TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Magic City: Anyone watching? Should I?

Magic City on STARZ. I think they have shown 3-4 episodes so far. Set in Miami Beach 1959.

Is anyone watching? And is it worth it? I have heard -zero- buzz about this show. I've got them all, but have plenty to watch unless this is B+ or better.

Your thoughts? Thanks!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'm curious too. I have the first 4 eps on the TiVo unwatched.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched the first 3 episodes over this last weekend and really like the show.

The show is about a guy that owns a large hotel resort in Miami. The guy is no angel, but he's also not some evil dude. There is a pretty seriously bad dude in the show as well.

I'm not spoiling anything. First episode was about them putting on a Frank Sinatra performance for New Year's Eve 1959. Problem is that a local union wants his hotel to unionize. So, they are protesting and plan to try and ruin New Year's Eve for the resort. The episode is him trying to deal with this.

Another episode was about him trying to get the Miss 1959 pageant at his hotel.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
sharkster

Oh cool! I thought I was the only one. I'm caught up now, through E04, and I'm not going anywhere. Lot going on, so it takes me a while to really catch everything. Sometimes helps to watch an ep twice.

I love Kelly Lynch and, in fact, it is because she is in it that I initially became interested. Wish she was in more - maybe it will go that way. All in all, it's a pretty good show IMO.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I had to google Kelly Lynch so I knew who she was. She's the kind of actress I recognize, but don't remember where I've seen her from. Looking at her IMDB list, the only thing I absolutely remember her in was Road House.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
rpph

If you like it you don't have to worry about it being cancelled soon. It has already been renewed for season 2.
rpph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a sucker for a good period piece, and this is a very good period piece.
I like the fact they're not pulling punches, we have the ethnically mixed family with their clash of cultures, the Mob, the influence of what's going on in Cuba and how it affects the workers.
diane-o-matic
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I saw the promos when I was watching something else on Starz and set a wishlist for it. I'm really liking it so far, but if it devolves into "honest guy makes bad deal with mobsters and spends the rest of the series trying to get out from under" I'll have 2nd thoughts. (not that I think this is where it will go, but it could)
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

The thing is the guy isn't all that honest. Look what he did to the Miss 1959 guy. He isn't truly evil like the one guy, but he's also definitely not a good guy.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Jon J
Curmudgeon

I'll watch this to the bitter end if only for the production values. STARZ has built a set like none other I can remember. It exudes the WOW factor.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Oh cool! I thought I was the only one. I'm caught up now, through E04, and I'm not going anywhere. Lot going on, so it takes me a while to really catch everything. Sometimes helps to watch an ep twice.
I agree with what sharkster said. You need to pay attention or rewatch this show to enjoy it. For me I kind of couldn't follow the show until I rewatched it and realized I should have actually watched it instead of what I normally do during other shows (texting, web browsing, phone calls, etc). Once you go back and really dedicate the time to focusing on the show its much easier to follow and enjoyable. It sort of reminds me of the first season of the Sopranos when I sort of half way watched it and then stopped because it seemed boring... When Sopranos got some buzz I went back and paid more attention to it and realized what an awesome show it was. It's the same thing with Magic City.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
speedcouch
Geekneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I agree with what sharkster said. You need to pay attention or rewatch this show to enjoy it. For me I kind of couldn't follow the show until I rewatched it ...
We're watching it! It's pretty good; I've just had a bit of hard time telling the two brothers apart until this week (when they were actually in a scene together and I could see how different they look). Also the same with so many dark-haired women.

Speaking of the sets, loved the one this week, with the blue loungechairs poolside - that was great looking! Also the costumes for Ike's wife look like stuff I used to dress my Barbie dolls in back in the early 60s. Showing my age there, I know.

Cheryl
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
walkerism
The Clean Up Man

I love this show. I have a friend who auditioned but got turned down do to this. I really didn't believe her but according to this article its' true.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

I've got all five episodes so far backed up on the TiVo. I better start watching soon.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I've decided to let the whole season pile up and then marathon it later this spring when other shows have ended.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Timbeau

I've watched the first 3 episodes and really liked the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
philw1776

Although I love the mileu, the filming is too dark in too many scenes. I cannot believe the astounding stupidity of the Butcher's wife. We need more languid swimming pool scenes in the bar.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I finally got around to watching the rest of the first season. Really enjoyed the show. The ending pissed me off because now I've got to wait for season 2.

Ben Diamond is quite the character.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I thought it was incredibly boring considering the plot. I stopped after 3-4 episodes.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote