TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
It says that it doesn't support ATSC. So how is the XL4 different then the Elite?
Same box, different name, thats all.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #32
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Hence "TiVo Premiere Elite becomes TiVo Premiere XL4."
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #33
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Looks to be the exact same TIVo with XL4 on the front instead of Elite. Which is good, since I just bought my Elite a few weeks ago.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #34
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

This means all of us with an Elite have a very special limited edition never to be made again!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Looks to be the exact same TIVo with XL4 on the front instead of Elite. Which is good, since I just bought my Elite a few weeks ago.

The elite text looks WAY better
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Maybe they will sell an upgrade plate to make the Elite an XL4.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Oh cool. Anyone can buy a XL4.... But no one can now buy an Elite!

(well except for all those sitting on store shelves still!)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
It says that it doesn't support ATSC. So how is the XL4 different then the Elite?
The XL4 = Elite. Just a rebranding of the device.

Premiere = Premiere
Premiere XL2 = Premiere XL
Premiere XL4 = Premiere Elite

I am sure with this naming scheme, a XL6 is on the way.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #39
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Oh cool. Anyone can buy a XL4.... But no one can now buy an Elite!

(well except for all those sitting on store shelves still!)
All 10 of those in Best Buy Magnolia stores are going to be hard to find
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Good thing there are over a dozen BBs with Magnolias stores near me.

I know when I got my second Elite a few weeks ago, one of them had half a dozen Elites in stock. Of course the first store I picked had just sold their last one within a hour of me arriving. So I had to go to my second choice. But I also drive near five Best Buys on my way home from work.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #41
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Maybe they will sell an upgrade plate to make the Elite an XL4.
Nothing a piece of masking tape and a magic marker can't fix...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #42
mattack

Hopefully that means there will be an XL6 coming.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #43
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Hopefully that means there will be an XL6 coming.
Sure sounds like it and the technology is certainly available. I'd venture it's going to be their version of a "whole house solution" that will have Satellite "dumb" boxes similar to what DirecTV is doing now.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #44
Soapm

Quote:
Sure sounds like it and the technology is certainly available. I'd venture it's going to be their version of a "whole house solution" that will have Satellite "dumb" boxes similar to what DirecTV is doing now.
Satellite dumb boxes is a great idea. You can put me down for 5 if the price is right.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #45
BigJimOutlaw

Exactly. There are other 6-tuner gateways/DVRs coming to market in the future, accompanied by thin clients. DTV is sort of doing it now, Verizon will be doing it possibly by the end of the year. I think Tivo will eventually provide the same. But for now, we know for sure about the upcoming Tivo thin clients.

The "Elite" name is nice but it boxed them in. (What do you call a 6-tuner model? A Super Elite?) So this fairly simply resolves that.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 04-24-2012 at 11:10 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #46
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Exactly. There are other 6-tuner gateways/DVRs coming to market in the future, accompanied by thin clients. DTV is sort of doing it now, Verizon will be doing it possibly by the end of the year. I think Tivo will eventually provide the same. But for now, we know for sure about the upcoming Tivo thin clients.

The "Elite" name is nice but it boxed them in. (What do you call a 6-tuner model? A Super Elite?) So this fairly simply resolves that.
We do? Have they been announced?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #47
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
We do? Have they been announced?
Yup. A streaming-only box (including live TV from a host Tivo).

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/...ded-to-retail/

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/02/2...b-this-summer/
Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #48
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well how about that. Good on 'em. I was hoping they'd do something like that.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #49
sbiller

TiVo Support FAQ: Changing the name of the Premiere Elite to the Premiere XL4

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2295

Why is TiVo changing the name of the TiVo Premiere Elite to the TiVo Premiere XL4?

The product name has been changed to more closely align the TiVo Premiere XL4 with the TiVo Premiere family. The TiVo Premiere has two tuners and 500 GB of recording space, the TiVo Premiere XL has two tuners and one terabyte of recording space, and the TiVo Premiere XL4 has four tuners and two terabytes of recording space. We feel this new name will help alleviate customer confusion as they shop among TiVo Premiere products and determine which one is the best fit for their needs.

Are there any differences between the Premiere XL4 and TiVo Premiere Elite?

No. With four tuners, a two-terabyte hard drive, and easy access to broadband entertainment, the TiVo Premiere XL4 provides the same great features as the formerly offered TiVo Premiere Elite.

Why didn’t TiVo formally announce this change?

We opted not to make a formal name change announcement because we didn’t want to cause confusion amongst consumers, who might misunderstand the name change to mean that a new product had launched.

When did TiVo begin using the new name?

The TiVo Premiere XL4 name transition went into effect on April 22, 2012.

Where will this name change be taking place?

The name change will take place nationally across all U.S. markets.

What does the TiVo Premiere XL4 cost?

The TiVo Premiere XL4 costs $399.99.

Isn’t that $100 less than the price of the TiVo Premiere Elite?

Actually, TiVo reduced the price for high-end Premiere DVRs in March 2012. The cost of the formerly offered Premiere Elite (now the Premiere XL4) was lowered to $399.99 at that time.

Are there TiVo Premiere Elite products still available on store shelves? If so, are you planning to pull them down?

A limited supply of the TiVo Premiere Elite may still be available at some online and smaller retailers. We expect retailers to clear the channel of these products as soon as possible.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #50
innocentfreak

I wonder then if Best Buys might put the Elites on clearance assuming they aren't smart enough to assign the same internal item # for both the Elite and XL4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #51
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But then it sounds like a Premiere XL, but it isn't like a Premiere XL since it can't do OTA.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
This means all of us with an Elite have a very special limited edition never to be made again!

Or an outdated model.

As to all who appear to be in hand wringing mode over this...Good Grief, Charlie Brown, just get over it!

Last edited by ltxi : 04-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #53
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
The XL4 = Elite. Just a rebranding of the device.

Premiere = Premiere
Premiere XL2 = Premiere XL
Premiere XL4 = Premiere Elite

I am sure with this naming scheme, a XL6 is on the way.
Perhaps, but what about a Premiere XL4*4 (4 tuners for both cable card AND OTA)?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #54
voranis

Using Tivo Premiere Elite/XL4 with Digital Cable

I am considering buying a Tivo Premiere XL4 and have several questions I hope someone could answer for me.

I read that this Tivo model only works with digital cable. I do have digital cable service and I have confirmed that I can rent the cable cards as well as a tuning adapter (at no charge) from the company and they will install everything in the Tivo unit for me. I definitely want to have these installed at some point, but I already have other DVRs I use for recording digital cable channels and so right now my primary interest is in the Netflix and Amazon Instant Video capabilities of this Tivo unit. I've read that the installation of the cable cards can be a hassle because the technicians sometimes don't know what they're doing and they bring the wrong cards, such as not bringing the multistream cards even though they were specified when the work order was placed. If I wanted to postpone this hassle for a while, then I have two questions:

(1) I have a full Netflix subscription as well as Amazon Prime membership. Could I start streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime instant videos right away, without having the cable cards and tuning adapter installed?

(2) Our cable company broadcasts the local digital broadcast channels over the coax via clear QAM and I can tune to them using digital tuners such as the one on my HDTV. Would the Tivo unit be able to record these channels before the cable cards and tuning adapter are installed?

Thanks,

Robbie

P.S. I don't know if this is relevant to my questions or not, but I have high-speed Internet and have an Ethernet cable ready to connect to the Tivo device.

Last edited by voranis : 04-26-2012 at 02:34 AM.
voranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #55
SullyND
W:29-16

TiVos do not do Amazon Prime Streaming. If streaming is your primary use you would be better off with something like a Roku. Prime may be added at some point, but TiVo has given no clues as to when.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #56
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by voranis View Post

(1) I have a full Netflix subscription as well as Amazon Prime membership. Could I start streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime instant videos right away, without having the cable cards and tuning adapter installed?

(2) Our cable company broadcasts the local digital broadcast channels over the coax via clear QAM and I can tune to them using digital tuners such as the one on my HDTV. Would the Tivo unit be able to record these channels before the cable cards and tuning adapter are installed?

Thanks,

Robbie

P.S. I don't know if this is relevant to my questions or not, but I have high-speed Internet and have an Ethernet cable ready to connect to the Tivo device.
Most, not all, but most issues with cablecard installations have resolved themselves with time. Things like installers showing up with the wrong type of cablecards -- that's unlikely to happen at this point. The FCC has cleaned up this mess a good deal.

Nowadays the "weak point" is with the tuning adapters. But hopefully there are no problems. (fingers crossed)

1. Tivo doesn't support Amazon Prime's free streaming at this point. They only support Amazon's download-to-buy/rent videos. They'll likely do Amazon Prime streaming someday, but not yet.

2. The short answer is yes to recording clear QAM channels, but it's a pain in the neck. Once your Tivo is set up, you'd then have to perform an additional channel scan so that the Tivo can find the provider's QAM frequencies. The goofy thing about digital channels is that they don't really fall into "clean" numbers. What we know as channel 503 could actually be channel 110-2 in the cable system, for example. Once the Tivo scans and finds the clear QAM channels, you can watch them, but you won't have any guide data for them because Tivo doesn't know what "channel 110-2" is. So until the cablecard is installed, you'll only be able to set up manual recordings, like a VCR, on the clear QAM channels.

In short, it's a pain in the neck, but it can sort of be done if you absolutely need it to until the cablecard comes.

If you decide to just wait for the cablecard instead, you will still want to connect the Tivo and go through the Guided Setup process in advance of the cable guy's appointment. (Select "install cablecard later" when the screen comes up.) There's a forced software update which could take an hour, so it's best to do it ahead of time so it's completely ready to go for the appointment, and so the apt doesn't take longer than it needs to.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 04-26-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #57
voranis

Using Tivo with Netflix and Amazon Instant Video

OK, let me reword question (1) and add a new question, since I didn't see a clear answer to the Netflix part of my question, and I should not have used the word Prime when asking about Amazon Instant Videos, since I am not interested only in the Prime videos:

(1) I have a full Netflix subscription. Could I start streaming Netflix videos right away, without having the cable cards and tuning adapter installed?

(3) Could I start streaming/downloading non-Prime Amazon instant videos which I have rented or purchased right away, without having the cable cards and tuning adapter installed?

And thanks for the heads-up about doing the full setup well in advance of the cable technician arrival. I just want to make sure that when the Tivo device doesn't find digital cable channels right away, that it just blocks all further usage, preventing Netflix/Amazon Instant Video access...

Thanks,

Robbie

Last edited by voranis : 04-26-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #58
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by voranis View Post
OK, let me reword question (1) and add a new question, since I didn't see a clear answer to the Netflix part of my question, and I should not have used the word Prime when asking about Amazon Instant Videos, since I am not interested only in the Prime videos:

(1) I have a full Netflix subscription. Could I start streaming Netflix videos right away, without having the cable cards and tuning adapter installed?

(3) Could I start streaming/downloading non-Prime Amazon instant videos which I have rented or purchased right away, without having the cable cards and tuning adapter installed?

And thanks for the heads-up about doing the full setup well in advance of the cable technician arrival. I just want to make sure that when the Tivo device doesn't find digital cable channels right away, that it just blocks all further usage, preventing Netflix/Amazon Instant Video access...

Thanks,

Robbie
I imagine that you would be able to use this device without the cable cards in it for both NetFlix and Amazon Video.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #59
voranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I imagine that you would be able to use this device without the cable cards in it for both NetFlix and Amazon Video.
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #60
voranis

Quote:
Things like installers showing up with the wrong type of cablecards -- that's unlikely to happen at this point.
BTW, I should say that while cable service might be good in most areas, the technicians our cable company has sent out to my house in the past six months have been very bad, so I don't have confidence that they will show up with the right cards. I had a problem with my ABC HD signal. The cable company sent out three technicians--all third-party contractors--and none of them were able to correct the problem.

One of the technicians not only arrived late but when he tried to fix the problem, it made my cable signal (on all channels) worse. He tried to leave in a hurry saying he had another appointment and I was checking the channels and saw they had all gone bad, and I had to yell to stop him as he was flying out the door, and make him come back and undo what he had done so the signal would return to at least being OK on all the other channels as it had been before he arrived. But the ABC HD signal problem was still not fixed.

Another technician they sent out said it was too late in the day to try to diagnose the problem and that the appointment should have been scheduled in the morning--well how was I supposed to know that? When I scheduled the service appointment with the cable company, they scheduled it for early evening, so how was I supposed to know? It seemed like every technician they sent out either didn't know what they were doing or didn't want to do the work.

After six months of not getting the problem fixed, the cable company called me to see if I wanted to sign up for Internet phone and I said, "not until my cable signal is fixed." They offered to escalate the issue but the person I talked to after it was "escalated" said there wasn't much they could do.

I had a private company come out to run cat5 throughout my house, and the guy who came to do the work told me that the ABC signal in our area was the weakest signal--something none of the technicians sent by the cable company seemed to know about. The guy from the private company fixed my ABC signal while he was running the cat5. It turned out to be a problem with one of my coax cables, but none of the previous technicians sent by the cable company could figure it out. So I am skeptical that they will come out with the right cards...

Robbie