TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #31
avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Ok, just throwing this out there-pure speculation-Megan almost got a little carsick, and said the taste of the sherbet was off - tasted like perfume to her-maybe she is pregnant?

And what about Ginsburg's telling Peggy about being born in a concentration camp? And that his "father" is not his father, but a man who found him in a Swedish orphanage at 5 years old? What a story-if it is true. Why would he lie about something like that?

It would be amazing-to be born in the camps, and be smuggled out to safety. And maybe his father is his father. I did expect the dad to correct Peggy when she called him "Ginsburg" - you know, say "His name is...(whatever), not Ginsburg..." I love that character, the dad-so sweet!
If Megan hadn't made the comment [last week] "That's impossible", in response to Don's "let's make a baby", I'd say it could be true. Of course, we really don't know what she meant by the remark... secretly on the pill? infertile? trying to confuse us?

On Michael's background... Though it's my understanding that pregnant women and young children didn't survive, I'm sure more things went on post-war than we might even imagine, regarding displaced persons. Even if his father isn't his biological parent, he is still "his father". In college I had a boyfriend with an older brother and younger sister. His mother had been in a concentration camp and his father was part of the underground. One day he mentioned that his "sister" wasn't really his sister... she had been orphaned during the war and when it was over my BF's parents simply attached her to their family and brought her to the US as their daughter.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #32
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Video: Matthew Weiner explains the episode at AMCTV.com.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
Peggy storyline was a hard one to accept, they really did give her the hardest storyline, she's trying to follow in Don's footsteps, but doesn't have his overconfidence, and then to get hit with the Ginsberg sub-plot, wow, I didn't see that coming at all.
The problem isn't her lack of confidence so much as her lack of penis.

The Heinz guy was a sexist asshat.

(and yes, of course that was standard for the time. The depressing part is how little it's changed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak

I have a suspicion that Don's going to beat the crap out of Megan one day.
and megan thought today was that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
Ok, just throwing this out there-pure speculation-Megan almost got a little carsick, and said the taste of the sherbet was off - tasted like perfume to her-maybe she is pregnant?
when don was on his knees hugging her at the end that scene screamed pregnant.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
.....when don was on his knees hugging her at the end that scene screamed pregnant.
I thought that, too.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
DeDondeEs

I'm going to go against the grain and say that this show has gotten off track. I hope that Cooper's pep talk with Draper means we will get more into the business side of advertising, instead of the many side stories that keep getting generated every week. This show is getting Soprano-itis. Too many side stories that won't get resolved within the season.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #36
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I'm going to go against the grain and say that this show has gotten off track. I hope that Cooper's pep talk with Draper means we will get more into the business side of advertising, instead of the many side stories that keep getting generated every week. This show is getting Soprano-itis. Too many side stories that won't get resolved within the season.
Amen to this.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #37
lpamelaa

Last week I posted a link to a fashion blog that does a deep analysis of the clothing and scenery from each Mad Men episode. It got some positive comments so here's this week's analysis:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/04...ay-places.html

Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #38
speedcouch
Geekneck

When someone at HoJo mentioned clams, I said that maybe Don would come up with infamous "clambake orgy" that I learned about in marketing in college. Anyone else remember that?
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpamelaa View Post
Last week I posted a link to a fashion blog that does a deep analysis of the clothing and scenery from each Mad Men episode. It got some positive comments so here's this week's analysis:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/04...ay-places.html

Enjoy!
Nice. That piece also had a youtube link to Don doing his pitch to Belle Jolie, which is what Peggy was trying to do with Heinz:

Belle Jolie

kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #40
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Nice. That piece also had a youtube link to Don doing his pitch to Belle Jolie, which is what Peggy was trying to do with Heinz:

Belle Jolie
Awesome scene.

Makes me wish they'd go back to more advertising and less soap opera.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #41
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Awesome scene.

Makes me wish they'd go back to more advertising and less soap opera.
The thing is the show is about the 60s and not about advertising. I would say its primarily about the Women's rise from housewife.

Don, Roger, and Bert are the representative generational dressings that it revolves around.

So the soap opera of traditional wives, dysfunctional wives, and up and coming professional wives is very integral.

Advertising is effectively the soap opera that stays the same.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
...Peggy, what are you doing? She is the moral compass of this show, can't see her basically trying to turn into old Don. a slut.
FYP...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #43
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
Amen to this.
I, too, agree. But I also enjoyed the acid trip....I had a major flashback to the 60s.....

XL4
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #44
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
The thing is the show is about the 60s and not about advertising.....
I strongly disagree. It's about advertising primarily and the 60s secondarily. After all, it's called "Mad Men" for a reason...

XL4
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #45
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I strongly disagree. It's about advertising primarily and the 60s secondarily. After all, it's called "Mad Men" for a reason...
Totally disagree. The show is about Don and the people around him. Advertising and the 60s are just the backdrop. Weiner didn't create this show to tell advertising stories. He created this show to tell the story of a very complicated individual who had an extremely unpleasant childhood and as an adult took the first opportunity he could be become someone else. The advertising is just a vehicle to keep the story moving. The show could just as easily be set in a law firm, or a bar, or police station, or hospital. The setting is secondary to the characters.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #46
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Totally disagree. The show is about Don and the people around him. Advertising and the 60s are just the backdrop. Weiner didn't create this show to tell advertising stories. He created this show to tell the story of a very complicated individual who had an extremely unpleasant childhood and as an adult took the first opportunity he could be become someone else. The advertising is just a vehicle to keep the story moving. The show could just as easily be set in a law firm, or a bar, or police station, or hospital. The setting is secondary to the characters.
You misinterpreted what I said (and I didn't say it clearly). I'm disagreeing with the show primarily being about the 60s. What I meant to say is I believe it's MORE about advertising than it is about the 60s. Of course, it's PRIMARILY about Don, who is an ad man...

XL4
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #47
robojerk

Shows evolve.

Season 1 seemed to be more about Don (present, past, as an ad man)
Other seasons seemed more about him being an ad man.

They also do focus a lot on the era, but doing a show just on the era would be kind of boring.

There have been episodes that have been very centric on the era, but as an arc this has been more of a backdrop.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #48
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Video: Matthew Weiner explains the episode at AMCTV.com.
My take away from his explanation is don't to put too many layers of meaning into the show. I can go along with that, you can be excellant without being profound.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote