TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
mm2margaret
Meagan

The Killing | "Ghosts of the Past" | Season 2 Ep 5 | 4-22-12

More background, particularly about Stan....appears he's not the Man we thought him to be.

Holder and Linden at least are working together again.

Nice scene with Linden and the kid near the end.

What I don't get is the Mom. It's clear the writers have some purpose in her going off, but we just haven't heard what it is yet. I wonder if it has something to do with Stan, given the revelation we got at the very end of the ep?

Still moving along at a decent pace, which is good. I enjoyed the episode. What did the rest of you think?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
I enjoyed the episode. What did the rest of you think?
It was alright.

What was the deal with the lightbulb in the hotel? Were we supposed to think Holder did that or was it somebody else?

Why are Jamie and Richmond still part of the story? Makes me think the campaign is at least still a part of the larger picture of Rosie's murder.

I've been waiting for something to happen between Terry and Stan ever since Mitch left.

Fancy town car makes me think of Billionaire dude Drexler. He's pretty deviant. I can't remember... was Rosie sexually assaulted or active before her murder? Could she have been on the job with Drexler and there was some sex-play gone wrong? The only other guy who I think would use a town car would be the Mob guy.

And who is Rosie's father? The other mayoral candidate? The head of the mob dude? Does the father even know?

It really feels like they're stretching this out to be an all-season deal. I surely hope not.

And I hope against hope that they decided who dunnit before they even started to write the first season, and some piece of overlooked evidence we saw in the first couple of episodes will lead to that person. I just want a satisfying conclusion with a killer who had real reason, not something pulled out of the writer's butt.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
fliptheflop

I'm okay with still not knowing who killed Rosie. I don't like it but its fine. But every time they get somewhere it takes them minutes to say something that should take seconds. That scene with the kid in the back of the car was like pulling teeth. Just spit it out. Its like their counting words and pauses to have enough material for the episode to last the hour. Richmond was clearly set up so I get why he's still around. The question is was Rosie killed to set up Richmond? Or just something that was thought up afterwards?
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I thought the pacing in this episode was perfect.

I, too, have been questioning what Mitch is doing and why. Perhaps observing someone very similar to Rosie's age and circumstances to get some clues as to what happened to her?

The scene between Stan and his sister-in-law had a very high "ick" factor for me....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
mm2margaret
Meagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

The scene between Stan and his sister-in-law had a very high "ick" factor for me....
Yeah, me too! Yuck....
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
Yeah, me too! Yuck....
I felt the same way, it looked like Stan was gonna take a chomp out of her nose.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Church AV Guy

After the debacle of the last season finale, I swore off the show. By my calculations, season two should be about half over by now. Are they any closer to finding the killer, or has it continued to be a lot of finger pointing at red herrings, with no real solution in sight yet?

Not a dig or a rant, just curious.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Peter000

The season has barely begun... I think we're 4 episodes in on a 22 episode season.

But no, they're no closer to solving anything than on day one.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
The season has barely begun... I think we're 4 episodes in on a 22 episode season.

But no, they're no closer to solving anything than on day one.
Really? The first season had thirteen episodes. I though this one was supposed to have ten, and the first one was a two episode compilation, so they are really five episodes into the season so far. Given a ten episode season, that would be half way. Am I incorrect about the total number of episodes? I just looked it up, the second season of The Killing is listed as having thirteen as well, so not quite half way there. Sorry...

Was there any further interest/followup with the Muslim girl that was running away from home because of an arranged marriage? Another interesting false-trail was stuck in my mind for a while, but I can't remember it right now.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Really? The first season had thirteen episodes. I though this one was supposed to have ten, and the first one was a two episode compilation, so they are really five episodes into the season so far. Given a ten episode season, that would be half way. Am I incorrect about the total number of episodes? I just looked it up, the second season of The Killing is listed as having thirteen as well, so not quite half way there. Sorry...

Was there any further interest/followup with the Muslim girl that was running away from home because of an arranged marriage? Another interesting false-trail was stuck in my mind for a while, but I can't remember it right now.
Why don't you just watch it rather than post questions in a thread where people post who HAVE watched it? These threads aren't for the purposes of answering questions from people who DON'T watch the show. They're for the purpose of discussing an episode that people DID watch...

XL4
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Why don't you just watch it rather than post questions in a thread where people post who HAVE watched it? These threads aren't for the purposes of answering questions from people who DON'T watch the show. They're for the purpose of discussing an episode that people DID watch...
What's the difference though? It's a discussion about the episode... by this thinking, someone who watches a show religiously but misses an episode shouldn't post questions in the thread for that week because they didn't watch it. If people want to answer him then what's the big deal? If they don't, they won't.

Anyway I'm liking this season so far... lots going on, the twists and turns are all fairly believable at this point... the story has elevated from trying to solve a murder to unraveling what appears to be a pretty complex conspiracy involving politics, the mob, corruption in the police force, and personal secrets for pretty much every player involved... Given the lack of good serialized TV right now, I really look forward to this each week.

The "Stan isn't Rosie's father" definitely smacks of "twist for no reason" but the show really hasn't done me wrong so far so I'm gonna go with it. I do think they started the show knowing who killed Rosie and all the stuff that's being laid out has a purpose.

As for Richmond, I think his continued storyline is definitely an indication of what role the "political" aspect will ultimately have in the resolution of the story... It's clear the Mayor set him up so he needs to be around to unravel all that. Even aside from that, the way they're handling his story this season is compelling enough without crying about his connection to the main arc. It's just... sad... But I do think he'll play a role later on.

The Stan/Terry thing was definitely gross--I kept hoping she was having a dream thanks to her earlier convo with her pops, but apparently it actually happened. I guess it wasn't unexpected but I thought they way they did it was weird... very out of left field the way he just came in the room and reached for her. I think the guy who plays Stan should get some recognition when awards season comes around...

I don't blame Jack's dad for calling Linden out... she obviously neglects the crap out of her kid and I guess part of her "arc" is that she gets so wrapped up in the case that she's completely oblivious to the damage she's doing, but it's still frustrating to watch for me because I have a family member with similar mental issues (not a homicide cop though) and it makes me want to punch someone... they do a good job at portraying it though. I wonder what his dad did that she had threatened to have him arrested if he ever came by her son again. Pretty harsh for a regular divorce scenario.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
... by this thinking, someone who watches a show religiously but misses an episode shouldn't post questions in the thread for that week because they didn't watch it.....
I don't have a problem with that. But that's the not the case with him; he said he hadn't watched ANY of this season...not that he just missed one episode...

XL4
Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I was into this one last season and still have a SP. I think my wife's watching, but last season left such a bad after taste that I can't bring myself to watch.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
mrdazzo7

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that. But that's the not the case with him; he said he hadn't watched ANY of this season...not that he just missed one episode...
True, but I get stil being curious after you drop a show... I usually read up and see what happened but I don't see a problem with someone asking here, it doesn't happen every day or anything... It never hurts to ask! :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Church AV Guy

To answer Bierboy's question. There are two reasons I decided to stop watching after the end of season 1. The characters, through interesting, are unlikable, and unpleasant. I define the parts of the show I care about as "signal." The parts I do not care about as "noise." I have a threshold for a show's signal to noise ratio, and this one just tripped into the not worth spending an hour watching the show just for the parts I care about. I'm hardly alone in this. Others have said that they don't like some aspect of a show and fast forward through the parts with this or that.

Anyway, as I said, there are aspects of the show I was actually interested in, and since this is about the show, I assumed a quick question or two is what "Now Playing - TV Show Talk" is all about.

My first question was answered by Peter000. Thank you. I was wondering if they ever followed up on the Muslim girl running away to avoid the arranged marriage, and the question I forgot was, if the storyline with the difficulties she was having with her son has turned into anything more than a method to increase the tension and stress she has been under.

Sorry for the interruption in your discussion.