TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #31
Ruth
Now with toddler

I really enjoyed the show. Gritty and realistic.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #32
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
If anything, I think Gen Z (or whatever) is more sexually active because of the media.
Believe this show would be about Gen Y (Millennials). The show could definitely turn off alot of viewers as it doesn't have superficial hooks that most shows of the genre have: kind of a mashup between Freaks and Geeks and Sex and the City. Given that its an Apatow tv project that makes some sense. The girl who plays Marnie is Brian Williams daughter: now I see his mug whenever I look at her
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
then the scene accomplished its objective
Perhaps, but who wants to watch that? If the objective was to get people not to watch, it succeeded in my case.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Ugh! Okay, so now I have to over-explain what I already asked before you twisted your interpretation into a "weird viewpoint" about only "attractive people" having casual sex.

The issue I was addressing was the concept of entitled young people who are raised with so much exposure to superficiality and manufactured beauty all over the media, that if their specific body type and clothing doesn't reflect the media's image of "beauty", I would have thought that they would experience a LOT more anxiety about getting undressed and participating in casual sex.
Why is that a "weird viewpoint"? It was a question.

Don't worry about my question. I am clearly not the demographic this show is aiming at.
I know you said don't worry, but I want to! I get your point now, but I think there are two counter points. 1) It's not really 'casual sex' in that this isn't the first time they've had it. 2) I think that regardless of cultural messages, people like to get naked and have sex.

I doubt I'm the demographic either, but I'm not really sure what they are aiming at. It's kind of amazing the backlash this is getting. Good conversation material.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
sharkster

I finally watched. I'm not sure what I think. I will keep my SP. The main girl's parents, played by Peter Scolari and a lady who looked really familiar but whose name was not at all familiar, were a good addition to the show. The Brit girl intrigues me. I think there are enough elements for it to develop into a decent show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #36
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
The girl who plays Marnie is Brian Williams daughter: now I see his mug whenever I look at her
Zosia Mamet who plays Shoshanna is the daughter of playwright and director David Mamet. She is also the lesbian on Mad Men.

Jemima Kirke who plays Jessa is the daughter of the drummer for Bad Company (Simon Kirke).
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Zosia Mamet who plays Shoshanna is the daughter of playwright and director David Mamet. She is also the lesbian on Mad Men.

Jemima Kirke who plays Jessa is the daughter of the drummer for Bad Company (Simon Kirke).
Highslide JS

Still like the show, just find this poster funny.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniketos View Post
Highslide JS

Still like the show, just find this poster funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
jilter
Happy to be here.

The thread has already spawned this very interesting thread with some intelligent observations...I like!

Did not know about all the famous offspring...cool.
Fun - waiting to find out if a show will fizzle or sizzle...this could do either.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I couldn't even make it through the entire episode. Got close to the end and shut it off. This show was not made for me even a little bit.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I couldn't even make it through the entire episode. Got close to the end and shut it off. This show was not made for me even a little bit.
I did make it to the end. Other than that you said exactly what I was about to say. No interest to watch another episode of this.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #42
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

I loved the pilot, and the second ep even more so. It definitely has the potential to reach "Office" levels of awkwardness. Lena Dunham's fantastic in this.

I can see the relatability/likability problems that some are having. As a member of that generation, I can say we're not ALL like that, but the fact that so many are is one reason I'm not dating at the moment. And as someone who does still accept money from my parents in my 20s (certainly not out of entitlement), I identified with the first five minutes of the pilot more than I care to admit.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #43
leeherman

I recorded the first episode for my girlfriend and watched with her. We didn't make it half way through.

LH
leeherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #44
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
Finally...a show I believe I can watch.
Pilot was good, waiting to see.
Not a lot of pub...anyone else watch?

eta: Maureen Ryan liked it.

SP cancelled. What a disappointment.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #45
billypritchard
Embiggener

I thought the second episode was better than the first. We got a bigger view of the group, learned a few things, and I definitely laughed a bit. I'll keep watching.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #46
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I find it interesting look at the Gen behind me. I will echo the words of the clinic doctor, "You couldn't pay me to be 25 again!" I will keep watching but think it won't last behind season 2.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #47
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Enjoyed it in that I learned what it might be to live a girl's life.

And it didn't hurt that we saw some boobs.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #48
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Watched ep 2. More of the same. Disturbing sex scenes. More insight into these self centered girls. It was predictable that the one English girl was not going to show up to the abortion. Is this supposed to be a comedy? I don't think I came close to laughing at anything. And, outside of the virgin girl, I can't figure out why anyone would want to be friends with any of these people?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #49
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Watched ep 2. More of the same. Disturbing sex scenes. More insight into these self centered girls. It was predictable that the one English girl was not going to show up to the abortion. Is this supposed to be a comedy? I don't think I came close to laughing at anything. And, outside of the virgin girl, I can't figure out why anyone would want to be friends with any of these people?
Put much better than I could have. I just do not find any of these people likeable.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #50
tiams

They aren't supposed to be likable people.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #51
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
They aren't supposed to be likable people.
... because 20-something girls aren't supposed to be likeable people? If it's not a comedy, and the story isn't compelling as a drama, and the characters are unlikeable, then what's the point/appeal of the show?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Freeway rubbernecking?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #53
tiams

Quote:
... because 20-something girls aren't supposed to be likeable people? If it's not a comedy, and the story isn't compelling as a drama, and the characters are unlikeable, then what's the point/appeal of the show?
Clearly, it's not the show for you. I enjoy it. Not everyone will.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #54
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
20-something girls can be likeable. This specific set of girls that this show wants to tell stories about aren't particularly likeable.

Even with that, I was cringing and felt bad for Hanna when she went one step too far in her interview. Uh, calling the guy a date rapist isn't going to get you a job.

That scene was very Michael Scott.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #55
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Clearly, it's not the show for you. I enjoy it. Not everyone will.
I'll ask again. What is the point/appeal of the show? I am interested in your viewpoint as the apparent target market.

You've acknowledged that the characters are not supposed to be likeable. So you seem to be admitting that you don't like the characters either. Do you enjoy it because it reflects your world and that recognition stimulates the pleasure centre in your brain?

See, for me, I like "Mad Men" partly because I have sentimental memories of the time period as a little boy. That stimulates my pleasure centre and makes me feel enjoyment, whereas some younger people just find it boring, as they cannot relate to anything in the presentation.

Since "Girls" is so far away from my life experience, I acknowledge that it is not for me, though the acting and the sets are all believable. But I am still intrigued to learn about what appeals to the younger generation. I have a background in Psychology, so human behaviour is interesting to me.

I'll politely ask once again: from your viewpoint as a young adult, can you describe what it is about "Girls" (the HBO show, not just the gender) that you enjoy?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #56
billypritchard
Embiggener

Do we have to fit a target demographic to enjoy a show? I am a 37 year-old white male who lives in a midwestern city. I share almost zero in common with the title Girls of this show.

Why do I enjoy it then? Am I supposed to only watch things about 30-something white dudes in the red states? Sad to say, I won't be watching much tv. Still, I could get closer than this I guess.

I like to watch/read/experience things that are outside my comfort zone, or that aren't part of my daily life. I enjoy seeing things that are different. My life was zero like Jerry Seinfeld's. It is (thank god) zero like Game of Thrones. But I enjoy those things immensely.

Even if I can't identify with their exact lives, I can identify with being 24 years old and somewhat lost. With not having a career path or feeling like a loser. With wanting sex but not exactly having good sex all the time. I don't get why these things are alien.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #57
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I think the writing of Girls is quirky and funny. Interesting to see awkward situations play out which are never seen/shown on other shows. We are dealing with STD's, Abortions, sex all which MOST shows dance around or ignore totally. So I welcome the topics being talked about and welcome the witty banter the characters seem to have. Interesting to see the girls perspective of being USED in a different way then other shows.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #58
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
No, Seinfeld characters were anything but boring. And the characters were more likable than "Girls" characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
You must be fun at parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
...Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Do we have to fit a target demographic to enjoy a show? I am a 37 year-old white male who lives in a midwestern city. I share almost zero in common with the title Girls of this show.

Why do I enjoy it then? Am I supposed to only watch things about 30-something white dudes in the red states? Sad to say, I won't be watching much tv. Still, I could get closer than this I guess.

I like to watch/read/experience things that are outside my comfort zone, or that aren't part of my daily life. I enjoy seeing things that are different. My life was zero like Jerry Seinfeld's. It is (thank god) zero like Game of Thrones. But I enjoy those things immensely.

Even if I can't identify with their exact lives, I can identify with being 24 years old and somewhat lost. With not having a career path or feeling like a loser. With wanting sex but not exactly having good sex all the time. I don't get why these things are alien.

My 20's were spent in a constant search for girls, and more girls, and juggling 2 - 3 girlfriends and the same time (weekends were crazy). Girls were my number one hobby. Now married 20 years with kids as I fell for one of the "Girls" who reformed me.

However, I still look back at those days with nostalgia. Hey, it's my Madmen!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I'll ask again. What is the point/appeal of the show? I am interested in your viewpoint as the apparent target market.

You've acknowledged that the characters are not supposed to be likeable. So you seem to be admitting that you don't like the characters either. Do you enjoy it because it reflects your world and that recognition stimulates the pleasure centre in your brain?

See, for me, I like "Mad Men" partly because I have sentimental memories of the time period as a little boy. That stimulates my pleasure centre and makes me feel enjoyment, whereas some younger people just find it boring, as they cannot relate to anything in the presentation.

Since "Girls" is so far away from my life experience, I acknowledge that it is not for me, though the acting and the sets are all believable. But I am still intrigued to learn about what appeals to the younger generation. I have a background in Psychology, so human behaviour is interesting to me.

I'll politely ask once again: from your viewpoint as a young adult, can you describe what it is about "Girls" (the HBO show, not just the gender) that you enjoy?
That's kind of how I look at this. But just because the characters are unlikable doesn't mean I can't get into the story. Most of the characters of a show like the Sopranos or Game of Thrones are horrible people. That doesn't mean they aren't compelling. To me, these characters are just not compelling. I couldn't give a hoot what happens to any of them. Even the gratuitous nudity and sex (which I suppose one could use as an excuse to watch this show) is pretty gross. And for a comedy, it is really unfunny. To me, this just seems like a show some young HBO exec thought might be raunchy and "out there" enough to make a go of it. Or maybe anything with Judd Apatow's name attached to it, gets a green light these days.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #60
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I think the writing of Girls is quirky and funny. Interesting to see awkward situations play out which are never seen/shown on other shows. We are dealing with STD's, Abortions, sex all which MOST shows dance around or ignore totally. So I welcome the topics being talked about and welcome the witty banter the characters seem to have. Interesting to see the girls perspective of being USED in a different way then other shows.
I think I have a good sense of humor. What exactly did you find funny?