Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #121
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
I wanted to point that out as well, Tiassa. You are confused. Arya was not with any of Lord Stark's bannermen. She was traveling with Yoren, who is from the Night's Watch, under the guise that (s)he was going to the wall. There is no proper association with the Nights Watch and Ned Stark (other than his brother Benjen being a ranger, now lost). There's no reason for someone in Westeros to think that Arya would be with them.
OK I thought that Yoren was closer to Ned Stark that he seems to be (hence the ability to recognize Arya even as scruffy as she was at the execution). I also (incorrectly) thought that the chief Night's Watch recruiter would be a Stark bannerman because the Night's watch and Starks are rather closely aligned.

I still wont be at all surprized if Tywin already knows that Aria is who she is.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #122
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I still wont be at all surprized if Tywin already knows that Aria is who she is.
How would he? He doesn't know she's missing; he's (probably) never met her. Putting 2 and 2 together is one thing, but there's no 2 and no 2 to put together...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #123
stellie93

Quote:
OK I thought that Yoren was closer to Ned Stark that he seems to be (hence the ability to recognize Arya even as scruffy as she was at the execution). I also (incorrectly) thought that the chief Night's Watch recruiter would be a Stark bannerman because the Night's watch and Starks are rather closely aligned.

I think the Night's Watch is supposed to be independent of all the intrigue going on in the rest of the country. They can't protect the realm if they are fighting each other every time a lord rebels. I think he had met Arya when he met with Ned earlier. I don't think we were ever told whose bannerman he was in his former life--pre Willem.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #124
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Do we know this, or are you just speculatin'?

Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

Close!

PS: I don't know how y'all can even follow some of this w/o captions. Names, places, mumblers...
100% pure speculation!

and no way I would catch everything without CC on. I watch it the first time with it and then the second time (around Friday night) without it.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #125
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I think the Night's Watch is supposed to be independent of all the intrigue going on in the rest of the country. They can't protect the realm if they are fighting each other every time a lord rebels. I think he had met Arya when he met with Ned earlier. I don't think we were ever told whose bannerman he was in his former life--pre Willem.
That's when he met Arya; when he went to the Hand of the King (Ned), asking for access to the guys locked up in jail for the Night Watch. She came into Ned's office while they were talking.

Ned is also dear to Yoren on account of his brother. So the respect and friendship was only natural.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #126
Mr. Merkin

The Smoke Queef

Just so people are not mistaken, the smoke queef was a strategic maneuver by Stannis, they knew it was coming and they positioned Melisandre upwind of Renley's camp. As anyone who read the books can attest to, the pungent waft spreads through the camp and by morning many of Renley's soldiers are either sickened or fled during the night from the awful fumes. Just wanted to clarify...
Mr. Merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #127
pmyers

What a post. I hope you're joking
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #128
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

I lol'd.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #129
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
What a post. I hope you're joking
If you're really not sure, google "smoke queef."
Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #130
LordKronos

Quote:
OK I thought that Yoren was closer to Ned Stark that he seems to be (hence the ability to recognize Arya even as scruffy as she was at the execution).
He didn't "recognize" Arya. She was standing on the statue of Baelor when Ned was brought out for execution. Ned saw her. As Ned was being walked up to the stage, Ned passed by Yoren. Ned stopped, leaned over to Yoren and yelled "Baelor". Yoren looked to the statue and saw Arya.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #131
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
How would he? He doesn't know she's missing; he's (probably) never met her. Putting 2 and 2 together is one thing, but there's no 2 and no 2 to put together...
Are we sure about that? Tywin must have sources in King's Landing that would inform him that Arya is missing, WRMS (Westeros Raven Mail Service) seems to be pretty efficient. He then comes across a well-educated northern girl disguised as a boy trying to get north. Given the patriarchal society in Westeros likely that such a girl would be a member of a noble family. I suppose that she could be a daughter of Lord Frey (he is the Lord of "the Twins", right?) as he seems to have an abundance kids and might not have noticed one was missing, but I'm still going with the idea that Tywin at least suspects that Arya might be who she is. You are all free to say "I told you so" when I'm wrong.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #132
StiflersMom

Why are they going in to battle with Bullwinkle on their banners?
StiflersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #133
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Finally got all caught up with this (Hockey playoffs have been causing all kinds of havoc on my viewing schedule).

That Joffrey is one sick kid (is that what happens because he was born of incest?). I knew when he had the two whores, that this was going to involve some S&M, only I thought HE was going to do the beating. We knew he has that cruel streak in him. Also, is there a reason why, as king, he couldn't just tell his Uncle to either take a hike or, even have him killed? The funny thing about Joffrey is that when it came to killing Ned, he dismissed the advice of his mother, yet now that he is king, he seems to be bowing to the will of his Uncle.

I liked Dany's powerplay at Qarth. It was a huge risk, but she found one ally. It should be interesting going forward to see how she uses this. Oh, and we need to have Dany in various stages of undress like last year

The one thing I didn't get at Harranhall. If they are torturing and killing prisoners in front of the rest of the prisoners, and the prisoners know they are going to be killed regardless of whether they give up any info, why even bother?

I too thought that Tywin recognized Arya somehow. It seemed odd that he would A) pick her out as a girl, and B) decide to hire her. My thought was that he knew and this gives him some more leverage in his efforts to get Jamie back.

I found the Stannis vs. Renley scenes immensely interesting. I liked the back and forth between the two.

The smoke queef - Yes, my first thought was the Lost Smoke Monster. I had no idea she was pregnant until she disrobed.

Also Mr. Merkin, if what you said is true, you should have spoilerized that. This is NOT clear that this is going to happen. Many (most?) of us didn't read the books (I read the first one only so far) so that is a MAJOR spoiler.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #134
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
or bitch slapped
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Joffrey. On one hand, I grit my teeth everytime I see him. OTOH, anytime he's on screen, I can at least hope he gets slapped.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #135
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The one thing I didn't get at Harranhall. If they are torturing and killing prisoners in front of the rest of the prisoners, and the prisoners know they are going to be killed regardless of whether they give up any info, why even bother?
I really really don't think they're looking for information, or even want to get it. They just want to torture people, and it's more fun if your future victims are watching.

That's why Tywin was so pissed...it was wasteful.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #136
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I really really don't think they're looking for information, or even want to get it. They just want to torture people, and it's more fun if your future victims are watching.

That's why Tywin was so pissed...it was wasteful.
Then why bother asking them for info? Just a ruse?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #137
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:

I too thought that Tywin recognized Arya somehow. It seemed odd that he would A) pick her out as a girl, and B) decide to hire her. My thought was that he knew and this gives him some more leverage in his efforts to get Jamie back.
I had the same thoughts. What incentive do the prisoners have to say anything beyond telling the torturer what to do with himself?

I found it interesting that Tywin spotted Arya as a girl immediately, while everyone else was clueless.

Quote:
Also Mr. Merkin, if what you said is true, you should have spoilerized that. This is NOT clear that this is going to happen. Many (most?) of us didn't read the books (I read the first one only so far) so that is a MAJOR spoiler.
Agreed! I'm hoping it was a joke, but if real, it would certainly be a spoiler.

BEEP
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #138
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
I've read all the books and have no idea what he's talking about. It's just some made up silliness for unknown reasons, so don't worry about it.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #139
cheesesteak
Meh.

You would think that Robb, Stannis, Renly, the old guy and whoever else I've forgotten would be smart enough to team up and totally kick Lannister butt and then fight over the crown later. You might as well get rid of the common enemy first.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #140
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merkin View Post
Just so people are not mistaken, the smoke queef was a strategic maneuver by Stannis, they knew it was coming and they positioned Melisandre upwind of Renley's camp. As anyone who read the books can attest to, the pungent waft spreads through the camp and by morning many of Renley's soldiers are either sickened or fled during the night from the awful fumes. Just wanted to clarify...
This was funny. Seeing the PO'ed reactions to it because people think it is a spoiler is even funnier.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #141
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Then why bother asking them for info? Just a ruse?
Not a ruse, an excuse.

If you want to torture people, you have to be asking them for information. Because otherwise, it would just be RUDE.

It's just important to pick people who don't have the information you're asking for. Because otherwise, they'd tell you, and then you'd lose your excuse.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #142
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...That Joffrey is one sick kid (is that what happens because he was born of incest?). I knew when he had the two whores, that this was going to involve some S&M, only I thought HE was going to do the beating. We knew he has that cruel streak in him. Also, is there a reason why, as king, he couldn't just tell his Uncle to either take a hike or, even have him killed? The funny thing about Joffrey is that when it came to killing Ned, he dismissed the advice of his mother, yet now that he is king, he seems to be bowing to the will of his Uncle.
Yep. Tyrion's power comes from being named as acting hand by the real hand, Tywin, when King Joffrey picks his hand in the first place. It has to come down to nobody wanting to mess with Tywin.

Cersie's hoo-hah should be tattoo-labeled "Lanisters only."

The entry Qarth deal is a direct lift from the Wizard of Oz.

Will you show us the dragons?
--No.
Why not?
--You think this sucker is dripping in CGI budget?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #143
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Are we sure about that? Tywin must have sources in King's Landing that would inform him that Arya is missing, WRMS (Westeros Raven Mail Service) seems to be pretty efficient. He then comes across a well-educated northern girl disguised as a boy trying to get north. Given the patriarchal society in Westeros likely that such a girl would be a member of a noble family. I suppose that she could be a daughter of Lord Frey (he is the Lord of "the Twins", right?) as he seems to have an abundance kids and might not have noticed one was missing, but I'm still going with the idea that Tywin at least suspects that Arya might be who she is. You are all free to say "I told you so" when I'm wrong.
I told you so. Here's a hint:

Spoiler:
Tywin never even sees her in the book.

You have to understand how large this area is. The Lannister men are tearing through every town and village around the God's Eye. Pillaging, raping and destroying pretty much everything. Everyone in this lot is mixed together. They don't know who's who or where they're from. Polliver and the Tickler are going through people at random, asking questions and enjoying the torture process. No one's even looking for Arya or Gendry at this point. They're in the middle of a war.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #144
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Do you really think that Tywin would recognize Arya and just not tell anyone to keep her safe and secure? he would risk someone raping her or killing her for fun on her way to her new job?

he can't just trade Sensa for Jaime. He has to find Arya as well. And he's just going to take a chance on ANYTHING happening to her if he really found her?

I may end up being wrong, but I just don't see that happening.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #145
cherry ghost

Quote:
Polliver and the Tickler are going through people at random, asking questions and enjoying the torture process.
Spoiler:
Tickler is asking one important question, "where is the Brotherhood?"

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #146
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Spoiler:
Tickler is asking one important question, "where is the Brotherhood?"
Speaking of which, either it slipped past me in the show, or it relates to the books, but:

Spoiler:
What is the Brotherhood?

BEEP
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #147
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Speaking of which, either it slipped past me in the show, or it relates to the books, but:

Spoiler:
What is the Brotherhood?
Spoiler:
They haven't mentioned it in the show up until now. It is the "Brotherhood Without Banners" also known as the Knights of Hollow Hill which is lead by Beric Dondarrion. Dondarrion was charged with bringing Gregor Clegane to justice by Ned Stark before he died. They act as a sort of guerrilla force in the war. Stark did dispatch Dondarrion in season 1 but it was a pretty quick scene and forgettable if you didn't know who he was from the books.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #148
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post

Spoiler:
What is the Brotherhood?
Spoiler:
not really in the show yet. I don't want to go to far with this, so I'll just say that they're
Spoiler:
the group that Ned enlisted to bring The Mountain to justice and are led by Beric Dondarrion, who we saw very briefly in Season 1.

ETA - Took too long coming up with a good answer, Audioscience beat me to it
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #149
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
This was funny. Seeing the PO'ed reactions to it because people think it is a spoiler is even funnier.
The way things are going in the story so far, I wouldn't put it past Martin (or HBO) to actually DO that.

But yeah, it appears I've been punked (or whatever the 2010s version of that is).
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #150
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I told you so. Here's a hint:

Spoiler:
Tywin never even sees her in the book.

You have to understand how large this area is. The Lannister men are tearing through every town and village around the God's Eye. Pillaging, raping and destroying pretty much everything. Everyone in this lot is mixed together. They don't know who's who or where they're from. Polliver and the Tickler are going through people at random, asking questions and enjoying the torture process. No one's even looking for Arya or Gendry at this point. They're in the middle of a war.
Well someone was looking for Gendry earlier in the journey.