TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
HopDevil

Automatic Setting of Thumbs Up When Recording?

I'm new to TiVo and the whole idea of suggestions, but am seeing something I would prefer to disable if possible ...
Whenever I set a manual recording (using the guide), TiVo will automatically give the newly recorded program a thumbs up - this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Aren't suggestions based on what I like and not what I record? Or is the assumption that I only record the things I like which isn't always true.
Can I turn off this specific "auto-tagging"?
HopDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
jjd_87

If you set up recordings from the iPhone/iPad app it doesn't do this. But yeah its annoying. Keep your gf/wife away from that remote or your suggestions will be full of the View and Real Housewives.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDevil View Post
I'm new to TiVo and the whole idea of suggestions, but am seeing something I would prefer to disable if possible ...
Whenever I set a manual recording (using the guide), TiVo will automatically give the newly recorded program a thumbs up - this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Aren't suggestions based on what I like and not what I record? Or is the assumption that I only record the things I like which isn't always true.
Can I turn off this specific "auto-tagging"?
Regarding suggestions, that is the way it is set up. Suggestions are based on what you specifically record. It's like a default setting that you are only supposed to record stuff you actually like.

It's easy enough to remove that automatic thumbs up by going to the info page of the recorded show (the page you enter when you select a show from the Now Playing/My Shows menu) and hitting the thumbs down button.

You can also go in and review/change all your thumb ratings by going to the Tivo Suggestions menu and then hitting 'Enter' on the remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

You can also go in and review/change all your thumb ratings by going to the Tivo Suggestions menu and then hitting 'Enter' on the remote.
You can also go in and review/change all some of your thumb ratings...
Only programs that are in the current guide data will be shown in Suggestions.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
You can also go in and review/change all some of your thumb ratings...
Only programs that are in the current guide data will be shown in Suggestions.
I think you're confusing the Tivo Suggestions menu and the Review Thumbs menu.

The Tivo Suggestions menu is based off of the guide data. It lists the shows the Tivo thinks you would like to record.

The Review Thumbs menu (which you get to via the Tivo Suggestions menu by pressing 'Enter') lists shows outside of the guide data.
For instance, my Review Thumbs menu currently lists several shows (Rookie Blue, Terra Nova, The River, Combat Hospital, Prime Suspect, to name a few) that are no longer in the guide data.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

If the goal of suggestions is to find and suggest things that you might like, why would you NOT want the thumb added to items you record to help it generate suggestions?

That's the part I'm lost on, it's a huge plus to suggestions logic to know what you like to watch and find you more things like it.
Between automatic single thumbs and you editing thumbs, that's how it would build the accuracy into suggestions it wants to record for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

You record things you don't like? Or do you really record things you don't want others to know you like? When would you watch a recording you do not like? Just trying to understand.

Personally, I like the feature, but I know it exists and will eliminate the thumb on say, a first run show I'm not sure I want showing up again.

These are suggestions, not wishlists or season passes. How else should it judge something you may want to watch?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
If the goal of suggestions is to find and suggest things that you might like, why would you NOT want the thumb added to items you record to help it generate suggestions?
Well, if the scenario is that your SO comes in and starts recording stuff that you hate on YOUR Tivo, that will screw up YOUR suggestions (if that is the case, it's time for his/her Tivos ).

F*CK CANCER!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Maybe it is a wishlist item?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:

That's the part I'm lost on, it's a huge plus to suggestions logic to know what you like to watch and find you more things like it.
Between automatic single thumbs and you editing thumbs, that's how it would build the accuracy into suggestions it wants to record for you.
Because I frequently record a show that (a) my wife asked me to record that I won't likely watch or (b) a show that looks like it might be interesting, so that I'll decide after I watch it whether it's worthy of a thumb rating. So I do NOT want an automatic thumb rating just because I asked to record it.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I think you're confusing the Tivo Suggestions menu and the Review Thumbs menu.

The Tivo Suggestions menu is based off of the guide data. It lists the shows the Tivo thinks you would like to record.

The Review Thumbs menu (which you get to via the Tivo Suggestions menu by pressing 'Enter') lists shows outside of the guide data.
For instance, my Review Thumbs menu currently lists several shows (Rookie Blue, Terra Nova, The River, Combat Hospital, Prime Suspect, to name a few) that are no longer in the guide data.
You're right. Sorry.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
morac
Cat God

In the old days, the TiVo suggestions algorithm treated thumbs given automatically as basically being a half thumb even though it displayed a full thumb. In other words programs manually giving a thumbs up held more weight than ones automatically given a thumbs up. I have no idea what it does now-a-days.

Last edited by morac : 04-21-2012 at 01:27 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
a68oliver

Yes to what morac said.

There used to be (and who knows if it is still true) two flavors of thumbs. Explicit thumbs (the kind you punched in) and implied thumbs (the automatic kind generated when you record a show).

I sometimes remove an implied/automatic thumb. It really isn't a lot of work to do so.

I guess the question is, which is more annoying/time consuming? Removing unwanted thumbs or adding wanted thumbs.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

If you always had to add your thumbs manually your TiVo wouldn't get you™.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
mattack

Just manually thumb it down later..

I too don't see how it can figure out "what you like" without basing it on what you record!

I'm personally a person who likes a lot of tweakability, but automatically giving a thumbs up to something you record is just so much an obvious "duhh", that NOT doing that is such an outlier position.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
takeshi

Depends on the situation. It could figure out what you like based on what you manually rate. The current setup doesn't bother me as I have the recording of suggestions disabled. It's 6 one way a half dozen the other to me.

Do you have a citation to back up the outlier claim or are you simply assuming that anything that isn't in line with your personal preference is an "outlier"? Auto thumbs up is an "obvious duhh" to you because it fits your preference, not because it's "obvious".
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post

I sometimes remove an implied/automatic thumb. It really isn't a lot of work to do so.
I almost always do that.
What I miss is "the old days" when you could remove a thumbs up by giving it a thumbs down resulting in a neutral that stayed that way - if you recorded that program again, it wouldn't get an automatic green thumb because you had already rated it. That changed years ago. Now you can remove the rating putting it back to neutral, but if you record that program again, it automatically gets a green thumb again.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Do you have a citation to back up the outlier claim or are you simply assuming that anything that isn't in line with your personal preference is an "outlier"? Auto thumbs up is an "obvious duhh" to you because it fits your preference, not because it's "obvious".
No, because it's obvious... Tivos are supposed to be simple, and the obvious thing is for suggestions to be based upon things you're already recording _and/or_ manually add thumbs to. I would suspect that most people don't even manually add thumbs to other recordings.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Shogun82

Wow I didn't know that's partially how it finds things I like... Good to know
Shogun82 is offline   Reply With Quote