TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
zukdj

WinMFS

Just got a series 2 TIVO for free with lifetime subscription, it has an 80GB drive in it so I wanted to back it up and restore it to a 250GB Western Digital IDE drive I have available. I loaded WinMFS 9.3beta, plugged the Maxtor into a USB to IDE adapter (changed it to master), it doesn't seem to see the drive, I even tried different jumper settings. My desktop is 100% SATA so removing a drive in the machine to do it is not possible. Any suggestions so I can back this up and change it to the 250GB drive? I'm a noob, but computer literate.
zukdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
vectorcatch

Are you running Windows 7 or Vista? If so, you will need to run WinMFS as administrator for it to see the drives.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
zukdj

Running Vista and running WinMFS as administrator (right click, run as administrator), I am also an administrator of the box.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
bshrock

Test the adapter using the spare 250G drive.

Depending on the vintage of the drive there may be 2 master settings "Master" and "Master with Slave". Check the adapters manual.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukdj View Post
Just got a series 2 TIVO for free with lifetime subscription, it has an 80GB drive in it so I wanted to back it up and restore it to a 250GB Western Digital IDE drive I have available. I loaded WinMFS 9.3beta, plugged the Maxtor into a USB to IDE adapter (changed it to master), it doesn't seem to see the drive, I even tried different jumper settings. My desktop is 100% SATA so removing a drive in the machine to do it is not possible. Any suggestions so I can back this up and change it to the 250GB drive? I'm a noob, but computer literate.
You shouldn't have to change the drive jumper settings at all, in my experience. Did you try clicking on the "Show mounted drives" in WinMFS? Windows should not have mounted the drive if it was already in Tivo format. What model is your S2 box? I may be able to send you an image. Don't forget to check out the IDE to SATA sticky in the Upgrade Forum for an adapter that Tivos like (if your 250GB drive is a SATA).
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
zukdj

TCD24008A is the model # I didn't see the drive in WinMFS no matter what I did, including showing mounted drives.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
HomeUser

Quote:
TCD24008A is the model # I didn't see the drive in WinMFS no matter what I did, including showing mounted drives.
Assuming that the spare 250G drive is IDE I would use that drive to test the configuration with the USB adapter with the PC and WinMFS before going any further.

As bshrock pointed out the drive jumper configuration can be tricky.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Assuming that the spare 250G drive is IDE I would use that drive to test the configuration with the USB adapter with the PC and WinMFS before going any further.

As bshrock pointed out the drive jumper configuration can be tricky.
Yeah, check with another drive just to make sure that the adapter cable is working. I do have an image for that model I can point you to. I'll send a PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
ss_sea_ya

check out this thread linked in the WINMFS web page under "Windows Vista"

http://www.mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=341
DirecTV Hughs HDVR2 (Tivo version, SD)
(original 40G good drive but replacement 320G drive now "under repair").
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I have run WinMFS successfully using Vista 32-bit and Win7 64-bit. All I do is the right-click to run as administrator. I have done all of my imaging (S1, S2, S2DT, S3HD) using a USB to IDE/SATA adapter cable. Just make sure that Windows has installed the driver for the USB adapter and that it is recognized in Device Manager. I will also repeat my statement that I have never had to change the hard drive jumper setting for any Tivo IDE drive to get WinMFS to work properly.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
zukdj

I think I've figure this out, the USB to IDE adapter may be bad out of the box.