TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Amnesia
The Question

The Apprentice S12E10 "Winning by a Nose" 22 Apriil 2012

Wow---so much I didn't agree with in this episode.

First of all, I never understood the rationale behind firing someone who came up with an idea that the execs didn't like. Trump does this all the time. Yes, the person came up with an idea that was disliked, but no one came up with a "better" one. And the PM approved it.

Now, if you want to criticize someone for something they did---or how they did it---that's a different story. To me, it makes much more sense to fire Teresa for bad puppeteering than it does to fire someone for an unpopular idea.

All that aside, I don't see what's so bad (or "pompous") about the slogan "You've earned it". I think it's great. To me, success is something you have to earn. Trump earned his way to his wealth. He's successful. Compare him with someone who might also be rich (say a lottery winner) and there's no question that one earned his success and the other did not.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
plateau10

Not to mention that if it is pompous, how could that possibly be considered anything but a perfect match?
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I thought it was funny that the guy with the gold house thought "You earned it" was pompous. I also didn't get how "Go with your instict" tied in any way to cologne.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Ment

I was strangely drawn to Aubrey's wine colored dress during the cutaway interviews.

Arsenio: 'Heres the bigger problem I got two women, ones damn near genius, the other's damn near not.'

Dayana : 'I hope she's not trying to bust my peanuts'

I'd been okay with either team winning this round, both did very average work. Donald should've called it a tie and two go next week.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
tiams

Actually, Donald Trump didn't earn his fortune either. He inherited from his father who was a self-made success. Donald Trump promptly blew his inheritance and had to get loans from his siblings to start restart his business.

Penn put it best with his analogy about the rules of chess. You cannot apply reason to who should be fired. The only reason that matters is Donald Trump's.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Actually, Donald Trump didn't earn his fortune either. [he] had to get loans from his siblings to start restart his business.
So you're saying that his fortune was not based on an inheritance, but rather on money that he borrowed. Sounds like he earned it to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
2004raptor

Random comment - When Trump saw Lisa's reaction to the other teams presentation, he asked her about it and she said she loved it. I'm kinda surprised he didn't ask her if she liked it more than theirs like he did Lou.

And I was thinking Aubrey did come up with the slogan but Arsenio found out where Trump had said it online?? But I didn't bother to rewatch so I may be wrong.

And who was it that was talking when Trump slammed his hand on the table? Wow, completely rude!!!!

Hated to see Penn go. Really was hoping he would go to the finals.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
So you're saying that his fortune was not based on an inheritance, but rather on money that he borrowed. Sounds like he earned it to me.
He inherited a fortune and lost it. He then borrowed another fortune. Inheriting and borrowing do not equal earning.

Please do not edit my posts when you quote me.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
... I don't see what's so bad (or "pompous") about the slogan "You've earned it". I think it's great. To me, success is something you have to earn. Trump earned his way to his wealth. He's successful. Compare him with someone who might also be rich (say a lottery winner) and there's no question that one earned his success and the other did not.
Quote:
Actually, Donald Trump didn't earn his fortune either. He inherited from his father who was a self-made success. Donald Trump promptly blew his inheritance and had to get loans from his siblings to start restart his business.
And what about Donald Jr., Eric & Ivanka? Those are some shining examples of successful people who didn't earn it.

But I agreed with Penn's idea. And I think he has been ready to go for the past several weeks. Good on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Dayana : 'I hope she's not trying to bust my peanuts'
LOL! She is just so adorable. <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Penn made some observation about not firing the idea person. I think he was absolutely right. Even if the idea may not catch, you don't want to punish the person willing to toss out ideas - or you end up with a lot of silence.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Random comment - When Trump saw Lisa's reaction to the other teams presentation, he asked her about it and she said she loved it. I'm kinda surprised he didn't ask her if she liked it more than theirs like he did Lou.

And I was thinking Aubrey did come up with the slogan but Arsenio found out where Trump had said it online?? But I didn't bother to rewatch so I may be wrong.

And who was it that was talking when Trump slammed his hand on the table? Wow, completely rude!!!!

Hated to see Penn go. Really was hoping he would go to the finals.
Aubrey did say it before Arsenio showed it to her on the computer, I think he had found it at about the same time and when she said it he said here look and showed the quote. He was wrong in saying she didn't come up with it.

I'm wondering if Penns schedule made it easy to vote him out.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Penn checked out a long time ago.
If he cared enough to fight he could have stayed, but for him I feel as if the entire experience was some sort of social experiment. He was right in the car- Trump fires whomever Trump wants to fire and this was as good a reason as any.

Now- the thing about Clay's team not having any take-aways or samples- someone found this which I found a tad interesting. I don't remember this ever coming up?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Penn checked out a long time ago.
If he cared enough to fight he could have stayed, but for him I feel as if the entire experience was some sort of social experiment. He was right in the car- Trump fires whomever Trump wants to fire and this was as good a reason as any.

Now- the thing about Clay's team not having any take-aways or samples- someone found this which I found a tad interesting. I don't remember this ever coming up?

Yeah, I saw those and during the soooo awkward time when the execs told Clay to "go on...." I was mentally willing him to hand those samples out.

I'm glad Clay survived. Penn acquitted himself well.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Jebberwocky!

Aubrey team's samples had logo's on it - vs. the generic ones that Clay used.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
And what about Donald Jr., Eric & Ivanka? Those are some shining examples of successful people who didn't earn it.
Like their father, born on third and think they hit a triple.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Inheriting and borrowing do not equal earning.
If he lost his inherited fortune, then he was in no different position than any other person who did not inherit a fortune (that is---he had nothing). If he was able to borrow money and turn it into another fortune, that seems like the very definition of success to me.

Quote:
Please do not edit my posts when you quote me.
I certainly hope you're kidding. The use of the '[' and ']' characters are a standard way to denote quote edits. There was also a link to your original post. I only quoted the parts on which I wanted to comment. (Just like I did here.)

Quote:
To me, the idea of a "successful person who didn't earn it" is oxymoronic. If you didn't earn it, then you're not a success. You might be rich or famous, but not successful.

I don't know that much about Don Jr or Eric, but Ivanka certainly seems like a success to me. Yes, of course she got a big leg up due to her last name, but she didn't just sit at home eating bon-bons---she went to Wharton, she worked for another development company, designed a jewelry line, etc...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
If he lost his inherited fortune, then he was in no different position than any other person who did not inherit a fortune (that is---he had nothing)...
<snip.
... Ivanka certainly seems like a success to me. Yes, of course she got a big leg up due to her last name...
So you're saying that the Donald's Daddy's last name didn't help him, but the Donald's last name helped his daughter. Can you connect those dots?

So, you're saying that a no-name nobody from nowheresville who creates a fortune out of nothing is "in no different position than" a famous-named high society Donald Trump with all the high society connections? I'm not seeing your logic there. Sure, if Trump lost a fortune and worked to get it back, then he earned it, but he had a huge (or as the Donald would say, "uuuge!") leg up due to his last name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
All that aside, I don't see what's so bad (or "pompous") about the slogan "You've earned it". I think it's great. To me, success is something you have to earn. Trump earned his way to his wealth. He's successful. Compare him with someone who might also be rich (say a lottery winner) and there's no question that one earned his success and the other did not.
I think the key difference is that they don't want to give the impression you have to "earn it" they want you to be able to buy their product which then somehow "makes" you (or helps) successful.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
So you're saying that the Donald's Daddy's last name didn't help him, but the Donald's last name helped his daughter. Can you connect those dots?
Sure. I think Donald Trump --- the Donald -- is much (, much) more famous than his father ever was. He made "Trump" a household name. That's why the Trump name is a bigger leg up for his daughter than it was for him.

And again: I do think Ivanka is a success. But I think it's a lot easier to successfully design/launch a line of Ivanka Trump jewelry when everyone in America has heard the name "Trump".
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Did she really start a jewelry line or is she getting paid for someone attaching her name to a line? It's like saying Paris Hilton started a Perfume line.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Boo to firing Penn. I thought he'd be in the final 2.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Given the outcry of a certain percentage of the general public against people who work hard and get ahead, my thought on why they didn't like the "You Earned It" slogan had something to do with the generally poor public attitude about people who do.

And to certain of those people, the concept of earning what they get is kind of foreign to them anyway.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Boo to firing Penn. I thought he'd be in the final 2.
He could have been if he wanted to be but I think he found the whole experience beneath him, especially once he realized what a game it was.
At that point he was providing no drama or conflict at all so Trump wanted rid of him and I don't think he was at all sorry to leave.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #24
Jayjoans

I don't think I'd want the word "instinct" attached to a perfume or cologne. Just having people mentally hear "stink" in their head when they say it can't be helpful to the perception of the product.

Cracked me up that they attributed "trust your instincts" to Donald Trump, as if it was some quotable gem that only Donald could have come up with. Amazingly, they found him quoted on the internet, the VERY SAME THING! WOW!!! Give me a break.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
sharkster

Quote:
Sure. I think Donald Trump --- the Donald -- is much (, much) more famous than his father ever was. He made "Trump" a household name. That's why the Trump name is a bigger leg up for his daughter than it was for him.

And again: I do think Ivanka is a success. But I think it's a lot easier to successfully design/launch a line of Ivanka Trump jewelry when everyone in America has heard the name "Trump".
He definitely made the name big, and it helps her do well. There is no doubt about that.

But what I find interesting is how he rails on this country giving so much business to China, and how unacceptable that is and how it needs to changeyet he, his wife, and his daughter all have businesses that make their products entirely in China.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill
He could have been if he wanted to be but I think he found the whole experience beneath him, especially once he realized what a game it was.
At that point he was providing no drama or conflict at all so Trump wanted rid of him and I don't think he was at all sorry to leave.
Clearly Penn was always the smartest guy in the Room. I was glad he got to bring decent money to his charity.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Aubrey is pretty devious, she calls Eric to have him pose for pictures, send the other 2 away on a "task" and then blasts them to Eric while doing the photoshoot. She also totally kisses Erics ass in the boardroom. Unfortunetly for her I'm pretty sure they all see right through her.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Aubrey is pretty devious, she calls Eric to have him pose for pictures, send the other 2 away on a "task" and then blasts them to Eric while doing the photoshoot. She also totally kisses Erics ass in the boardroom. Unfortunetly for her I'm pretty sure they all see right through her.
I wonder how much (if any) of what goes on behind the scenes is available for Trump to witness prior to the boardroom.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

This is a Clay/Aubrey finale. I don't see Teresa or Arsenio going much further.

Dayanna might hold the record for most Boardroom "brought backs", but she was singled out for no other reason than they're jealous of her.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #30
Amnesia
The Question

What did Lisa do in this task?