TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
christoman

FiOS Cable Card Pairing

I have seen some conflicting info and wanted to confirm prior to upgrading a Tivo HD to Elite/XL4. Can I just move the M-Card to the Elite or will I need Verizon to pair it? I thought at one point they weren't paired to the device but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
christoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

When I went from a Series 3 to two Elites I pulled the two M-cards from the Series 3 and put one in each Elite, and everything worked just fine.

The only minor issue I ever encountered with FiOS was when I added HBO recently. I had to force a system reboot, which you can do online or through the FiOS support number, to be able to get the HBO channels.

Last edited by jay_man2 : 04-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.
jay_man2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
shamilian

You don't need to pair the card for FIOS. Even the techs don't bother all the time. If they ever change their policy they will get a lot of phone calls. They can repair over the phone....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
pL86

Verizon's FAQ on Cablecards says Cablecards are paired with the device they're installed in:

Quote:
Can I remove my CableCard from the DCR (Digital Cable Ready) TV or DVR where it is currently installed and plug it into another DCR device?

No. After your CableCard is activated, the card is "paired" with the DCR (Digital Cable Ready) device (TV or DVR) in which it was originally installed. You can install your CableCard with another device by using your desktop In-Home Agent instructions or following the online activation steps.
http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...sOne/84913.htm

Nevertheless, many subscribers report being able to transfers Cablecards without pairing although I don't know if these were recent swaps or from a while ago (Verizon's policy may have changed). I guess give it a try and specifically tune to any premium channels you might have that would have the copy lock turned on. Those are the channels where pairing may be needed.
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
mbhuff

It depends on your location. I'm in lower Westchester NY and 100% the cards have to be paired. I had a failed series 3 and the replacement wouldn't work without re-pairing. My new series 4 also needed to be paired
mbhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
christoman

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give it a go and hope it works.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Thinkdiff

Cards do not have to be paired anywhere in the FiOS footprint. However, you should have them re-pair it. Pairing is required to receive channels that have the CCI byte set greater than 0x00. So far, that's only a few channels on FiOS (and likely channels that you do not watch). But there's no guarantee they won't start setting the copy-flags on premium channels tomorrow (they can if they want to). Might as well get it over with and have them do it right from the start.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkdiff View Post
Cards do not have to be paired anywhere in the FiOS footprint.

How much are you willing to bet?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
NYHeel

I have 2 cable cards that are not paired in northern NJ.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

None of mine are paired right now, but do they have an automated pairing menu online. I might as well pair my cards just in case now. I'm down to three cards and soon will be down to two when the IP box comes out, so I have no plans on swapping my cards like I've been doing for the last 4.5+ years with FiOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Thinkdiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
How much are you willing to bet?
Verizon FiOS or Frontier FiOS? AFAIK, no major channel on Verizon FiOS has the copy-protect flag set, so pairing the card is not required to view/record the channels.

I have no idea if that's true on Frontier FiOS as they've managed to screw up their FiOS offerings quite nicely.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
rifleman69

FiOS footprint is FiOS footprint. Are you saying that you're backing down from the bet?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkdiff View Post
Cards do not have to be paired anywhere in the FiOS footprint. However, you should have them re-pair it. Pairing is required to receive channels that have the CCI byte set greater than 0x00. So far, that's only a few channels on FiOS (and likely channels that you do not watch).
Mine arent paired and I still recieve that stupid HUBHD channel here on FIOS that is copy protected.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano

Mine arent paired and I still recieve that stupid HUBHD channel here on FIOS that is copy protected.
It's not protected is it? I thought it was in the beginning but they changed it. I thought those two info channels are the only ones protected now?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
None of mine are paired right now, but do they have an automated pairing menu online. I might as well pair my cards just in case now. I'm down to three cards and soon will be down to two when the IP box comes out, so I have no plans on swapping my cards like I've been doing for the last 4.5+ years with FiOS.
What is the URL for the "automated pairing menu online" ?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian

What is the URL for the "automated pairing menu online" ?
I just did a Google search for it. But it needs a number from the receipt that came with the cable cards. Which I didn't have since I got my cards before they had self Install.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Frontier Fios is not Fios, sorry. When people say "Fios", they mean Verizon. Frontier Fios is a leftover service than Frontier doesn't even want, and they're doing all they can to drive customers away from it. You poor bastards will be back on DSL before long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just did a Google search for it. But it needs a number from the receipt that came with the cable cards. Which I didn't have since I got my cards before they had self Install.
I found the activation page... It requires that you enter an activation code that you get with the card.

It got me thinking, self-installs don't have a place to enter a hostid number so they can not be paired to any one box.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian

I found the activation page... It requires that you enter an activation code that you get with the card.

It got me thinking, self-installs don't have a place to enter a hostid number so they can not be paired to any one box.
On the page I was on it had fields to enter the host ID and the other ID that is needed.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
christoman

Just as an FYI follow-up: Pulled the trigger on the XL4 and have swapped cable cards with no issues. Guess I am luck to live in an area that doesn't require pairing.