TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Alan P

D* Sent Me Too Many DVRs

I haven't posted here in quite awhile because I haven't changed my setup in a really long time...the following experience is a prime example of why I really hate calling D* for any reason:

D* finally began offering my locals in HD - I had 'moved' to Denver many years ago so I could get their locals over the satellite (SD only) - so a couple weeks ago I decided I would 'move' back home and take advantage of the local channels now available to me.

After 2+ hours on the phone with 2 different CSRs AND tech support, they could not get my locals to activate. It was getting late, and I was tired, so I told them I would call back in a day or two.

I go online the next day and check my account - my install address was STILL in Denver - they didn't even change it! No wonder my locals channels weren't working. 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

So, a few days ago, I had finally worked up enough courage to call D* and try again - this time, they succesfully 'moved' me and my local channels are working great (although they are HD only, essentially turning my two SD D*Tivos into boat anchors).

I then ordered one HD DVR and one HD Tivo DVR - the HD DVR was free since my locals are HD only, but the Tivo DVR cost me $199 no matter how much I complained.

During the order process, the CSR had some major difficulties getting my order to go through - she submitted and cancelled it multiple times before it finally 'took' - this took a little over an hour just to order two new boxes.

I go and look at my D* account the next day, and I was charged 5 times, but it was refunded 4 times - so I'm all good there.

THEN, I go check my credit card online, and I've been charged $443 from Directv!

Awww, carp...now I've gotta call them again??? More time on the phone I'll never get back.....<sigh>

So I call this morning and got a very nice, very intelligent CSR for once - she took care of the credit card charge (yet to be confirmed with my CC online though), and I asked her if my receivers had shipped yet - "yes, you should be getting them tomorrow" - GREAT!

I go home for lunch today, and what do you think was waiting on the porch for me?? Not two boxes from D* but FOUR boxes! TWO Tivos and TWO HD DVRs....

I go inside and tell my wife that if I have to call D* again to return these extra boxes I think my head is gonna explode...I really have had enough of this and just want it to end.

So, after all this, my question to you guys is: aside from giving me some bad karma, what would happen if I just kept the two extra DVRs? And, can I use them?
Alan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
cowboys2002

They need to returned or activated. Pick the 2 you want to use and return the others.

PSN cowboys2000
cowboys2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Alan P

How about this - could I keep the 2 Tivo DVRs and send back the 2 HD DVRs without any repercussions from D*?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
cowboys2002

Probable. Have you checked online (your account) to see if they are all activated already?

PSN cowboys2000
cowboys2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Alan P

None have been activated yet.

How would I go about returning the two HD DVRs? Just call D* and tell them I'm returning them....??
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

How would I go about returning the two HD DVRs? Just call D* and tell them I'm returning them....??
That's a good idea. Don't just send them back without getting a "return authorization". In fact, they should send you a pre-paid return shipping label.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
That's a good idea. Don't just send them back without getting a "return authorization". In fact, they should send you a pre-paid return shipping label.
And, I'll just warn the OP that it may take a couple calls to get the return authorization I don't want his head to explode.

I just went through that a couple weeks ago. They promised to send me the label (and in one case a box) but it never arrived. So, another call was needed. I never did get the envelope they promised to return a couple access cards from old units so I'm glad I just chucked them in the box that went back.

I called a 3rd time to make sure they got everything OK - since I got no email or other confirmation of receipt. They said they did so hopefully I won't see any mystery charges for non-return.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Make sure the ones that you are keeping are working before sending the others back.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote