TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Fox 25th Anniversary Special 4/22/2012

This should have received the full 3 hour Sunday block. All of the "reunions" (Married...with Children; The X-Files; That '70s Show) consisted pretty much of each cast member saying one thing, and very little interaction; they might as well have recorded them separately, like they apparently did with the Beverly Hills 90210 cast.

A few other things I noticed:
  • They aired Bart's nude skateboarding scene from the movie, finishing with Flanders's "Bountiful Penis" line - which was cut from every Fox airing of the movie itself.
  • They mentioned the names of American Idol, The X Factor, and Masterchef winners, but while they did show clips of Hell's Kitchen and So You Think You Can Dance?, not one contestant's name was mentioned (although with SYTYCD, pretty much the only time they have ever mentioned a contestant's last name (rather than just displaying it on the screen at his/her first audition) - including former contestants - is when Chelsie Hightower was invited back to be an "all-star partner," and I have a feeling the Dancing With The Stars producers made them do it as a condition for allowing Chelsie to be on the show).
  • No "game shows" were mentioned - then again, when ABC had its 25th anniversary special in the late 1970s (which ran four hours), the only game show reference was a shot of Richard Dawson on the Family Feud set during the special's opening (despite ABC having had somewhat lengthy runs of Let's Make a Deal and Password by then). They did mention some of the "dating" shows (and bonus points to the cast of New Girl for asking Fox to put several billion dollars into the "{6-letter D-word} jar" for even considering The Swan), but how could they leave out The Moment of Truth, Greed, The Chamber, or (especially) Hole in the Wall?
  • The one thing that really surprised me: not one mention of America's Most Wanted.
Wait...this thing lets me use "penis" but not "{6-letter D-word}"?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
sieglinde

Medical term

Why should a medical term be censored?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
dimented
Comfortably Numb

I was also surprised at no mention of Arsenio Hall. At the time, that show was a big deal and if I remember correctly also helped to put Fox on the map.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

What got me was during the Sci-Fi montage, they showed scenes from Firefly (as well they should) - but many of the scenes were clearly from the pilot episode, "Serenity."

The pilot episode that they ended up shelving then burning off on the schedule after the show had already been cancelled.

I would have also liked at least a brief mention or shot of "Brisco County Jr." somewhere during this.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Why would they bother doing a "That 70's Show" reunion panel without Topher Grace? That kind of ruined that segment for me.

I also noticed that they showed the Bart skateboarding naked scene from the movie. Interesting they'd use that rather than stuff from the TV show.

Didn't they show several clips from America's Most Wanted when they were showing Sheriff John Bonell introducing the episodes? Wasn't that the show he was on?

It seems like they showed a quick clip of Ally McBeal coming out of a bathroom stall, but other than that, I don't think they even mentioned that show at all. Seems kind of odd, since that show was quite a cultural phenomenon when it aired and was probably FOX's highest-rated show at the time.

When they opened up the FOX Sports segment with the western/horse thing, I thought that was going to be Brisco County Jr. until I realized it was a younger Terry Bradshaw.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimented View Post
I was also surprised at no mention of Arsenio Hall. At the time, that show was a big deal and if I remember correctly also helped to put Fox on the map.
"The Arsenio Hall Show" was syndicated. Hall had served as a interim/guest host of "The Late Show" briefly, though. Story is that when FOX decided to try to hire him full time, it was too late as he was already locked up with Paramount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It seems like they showed a quick clip of Ally McBeal coming out of a bathroom stall, but other than that, I don't think they even mentioned that show at all. Seems kind of odd, since that show was quite a cultural phenomenon when it aired and was probably FOX's highest-rated show at the time.
There was an segment on AM in the first hour. Calista talked at length with a handful of clips shown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
There was an segment on AM in the first hour. Calista talked at length with a handful of clips shown.
Hmm. I watched this in the middle of the night when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, so maybe I dozed off during that segment.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I also noticed that they showed the Bart skateboarding naked scene from the movie. Interesting they'd use that rather than stuff from the TV show.
There were a few clips from the show (for example, one with a naked Homer and Marge standing behind two whirlygigs), although there might have been rights problems involving older episodes, since the show is still in widespread syndication. (Yes, Fox did air the show's first episode just before the special, but Fox has to jump through a considerable number of hoops to show an episode that is in syndication - this is why both the Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor (as Maggie) episodes didn't air again on Fox until over a week after their respective deaths.)

Quote:
Didn't they show several clips from America's Most Wanted when they were showing Sheriff John Bonell introducing the episodes? Wasn't that the show he was on?
I think Bonell was on World's Wildest Police Videos. John Walsh hosts AMW.

Quote:
When they opened up the FOX Sports segment with the western/horse thing, I thought that was going to be Brisco County Jr. until I realized it was a younger Terry Bradshaw.
I was a little surprised they included the clip of the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt Sr., although it doesn't look like it was that severe (of course, it was head-on into the wall and they didn't have the SAFER barriers to cushion the impact).

And how could I mention Fox game shows and leave out Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
He was on World's Wildest Police Chases.

John Walsh has been the host of AMW all along, I believe.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I think Bonell was on World's Wildest Police Videos. John Walsh hosts AMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
He was on World's Wildest Police Chases.

John Walsh has been the host of AMW all along, I believe.
You're both right. I was mistaken. Strange that there was no mention of AMW, then.
Quote:
I was a little surprised they included the clip of the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt Sr., although it doesn't look like it was that severe (of course, it was head-on into the wall and they didn't have the SAFER barriers to cushion the impact).
I thought the same thing. Since we know that Dale Sr. pretty much died instantly on impact, that clip is basically no different than the stuff in Faces of Death, except that he's inside the car so you can't see the body.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Ereth

Quote:
What got me was during the Sci-Fi montage, they showed scenes from Firefly (as well they should) - but many of the scenes were clearly from the pilot episode, "Serenity."

The pilot episode that they ended up shelving then burning off on the schedule after the show had already been cancelled.

I would have also liked at least a brief mention or shot of "Brisco County Jr." somewhere during this.
I was disappointed they didn't mention "Alien Nation". It did well enough to get 3 separate TV movies to continue it's storyline (the first ever, if I recall, season ending, and then series ending, cliff hanger!)

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
The brief segment with the "Bob's Burgers" cast at the "banquet" showed several Fox show logos on the wall of the room, one of which was "The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr."
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Why would they bother doing a "That 70's Show" reunion panel without Topher Grace? That kind of ruined that segment for me.
I'm guessing because Topher Grace declined to appear.

It's well known in Hollywood circles that Topher basically considered 'That 70's Show" just a job and didn't do any publicity he didn't have to and didn't hang with the rest of the cast and crew after hours.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I'm guessing because Topher Grace declined to appear.

It's well known in Hollywood circles that Topher basically considered 'That 70's Show" just a job and didn't do any publicity he didn't have to and didn't hang with the rest of the cast and crew after hours.
I realize that. But since he was really the star of the show, his absence seemed so glaring when they sat everyone else down together and said, "the cast reunites for the first time to discuss the show." If they couldn't get all the major actors together, they should have done separate interviews with various cast members, and then it wouldn't have been so obvious that he wasn't there.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Michael S

Did they show Futurama with animation segment? I don't remember if they did.

Their Scifi segment should have been the BIH segment. Because most of the shows were BIH show that had one or two seasons.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman

I just want back to my recording and I see why I missed this segment. Right after highlight of The X-Files, the narrator said, "coming up after the break..." and it showed a bunch of stuff that was coming up. But then instead of going to commercial, it went to a "FOX Memories" segment which was Calista talking about AM. I must have hit FF as soon as I heard "coming up" and didn't realize they didn't go right to commercial.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Did anyone else notice that they highlighted Flee in both the Comedy segment and in the Drama segment. Shows that even FOX isn't sure what the show is.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
mrdazzo7

I thought it was an OK look back, but it really didn't pull out any stops or anything... I had it on live in the background so I didn't FF through it... they touted the "70's show" panel for the entire two hour show like it was the main event of the night, which made absolutely no sense to me given the amount of "game changing" shows the network has had on over the years.

I guess the show had a fan base to last as long as it did, but from what I recall it wasn't exactly a game changer and sure didn't warrant the amount of coverage it got here, especially since it wasn't even the whole cast--no Eric and no Hyde (the only actually funny character on the show).

If anything, MWC should have been the "main" panel since that was Fox's first sitcom and definitely has a place in pop-culture history, plus it's been off the air for a lot longer so would have been more of an "event" feel with more time alloted to it. MWC for comedy, 90210 pretty much started the modern teen genre and was a huge key to Fox becoming Fox, The Simpsons obviously speaks for itself... The X-Files was pretty much the biggest genre show of the entire 90's... 24 sort of revolutionized "event" TV... and American Idol put competition shows on the map and (unfortunately) great elevated the profile of reality TV. Any of these would have been legit event-type panel for a special like this. They kind of got half way there, I guess.

I think you guys are right about America's Most Wanted not getting any play--I saw a whole sequence of the WWPC guy but I don't think they even showed John Walsh, or mention AMW. Makes no sense...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
sharkster

I didn't see the show, but I loved the sign (tried to copy here to no avail) -

Congratulations FOX
on 25 years...
We still love you*

*This doesn't include Fox News

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
mattack

Quote:
I think Bonell was on World's Wildest Police Videos.
He was originally on Cops.. then left (for some ABC show??), then back to Fox for these other shows/specials.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
I thought the same thing. Since we know that Dale Sr. pretty much died instantly on impact, that clip is basically no different than the stuff in Faces of Death, except that he's inside the car so you can't see the body.
Except much of the stuff in "Faces of Death" has since been shown to have been faked.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
mattack

Quote:
I just want back to my recording and I see why I missed this segment. Right after highlight of The X-Files, the narrator said, "coming up after the break..." and it showed a bunch of stuff that was coming up. But then instead of going to commercial, it went to a "FOX Memories" segment which was Calista talking about AM. I must have hit FF as soon as I heard "coming up" and didn't realize they didn't go right to commercial.
When that happened, I actually went BACK through my recording to make sure I hadn't FFed/30 second skipped past other segments like this (I hadn't).

I've done similar things with other shows after realizing they do a new segment after a "coming up next" time waster. (VH1 "I love the..." kinds of shows do things like this a lot.)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I haven't finished watching it yet but I did find it interesting that they said it was the first time the Married With Children cast had been together in 15 years. Apparently, FOX forgot about the Married With Children reunion special they aired a few years back. The cast also got together for David Faustino's web series.

Either way it was a nice trip down memory lane.

I had no idea that the other co-host from American Idol QUIT after the first season. I always just figured they didn't have a need for two hosts and let him go. He must REALLY be regretting that decision.

I very much enjoyed the opening sequence with all of the Seth McFarlane characters interacting. I sort of wish they would do a real crossover between the shows where all of the characters are present and sort of do it like a 90 minute movie.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I didn't see the show, but I loved the sign (tried to copy here to no avail) -

Congratulations FOX
on 25 years...
We still love you*

*This doesn't include Fox News
This was actually part of the Simpsons episode that aired just before the special (unless they showed it again during the anniversary show).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
No (although they did show a very brief Futurama clip in the commercials). My guess is, Fox didn't want to advertise what is now a Comedy Central show.
They also didn't show any clips of The PJs (it got a brief mention early in the show - I think somebody asked Cleveland Brown why his family was sitting at another table, and he responded, "That's The PJs"), and no mention of The Critic.

Another thing I noticed: pretty much every show currently on the schedule that has been on for at least two seasons either got its cast involved (e.g. New Girl with "put money in the jar for The Swan") or had clips air - except, IIRC, Raising Hope.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Michael S

Quote:
This was actually part of the Simpsons episode that aired just before the special (unless they showed it again during the anniversary show).

No (although they did show a very brief Futurama clip in the commercials). My guess is, Fox didn't want to advertise what is now a Comedy Central show.
They also didn't show any clips of The PJs (it got a brief mention early in the show - I think somebody asked Cleveland Brown why his family was sitting at another table, and he responded, "That's The PJs"), and no mention of The Critic.
I think they didn't do The Critic or The PJs probably because they were on other networks also. The Critic started on ABC and The PJs ran for a season on The WB.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #27
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
I think they purposely excluded Futurama. Because it's considered "on the air" now, just on another channel. Fox basically disowned Futurama in the end (the last thing to show was the movie that shows them going down some worm hole as "the end" or "the end of Futurama on Fox").

I guess they hated the F^HBox network mocking.

Quote:
They aired Bart's nude skateboarding scene from the movie, finishing with Flanders's "Bountiful Penis" line - which was cut from every Fox airing of the movie itself.
They changed a bit of it - if you look carefully, one bit actually has the Fox logo doing the coverup, which wasn't in the movie.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote