TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
tootal2

whats going to happen to tivo when charter changes is channel lineup tonight?

Charter is changing its lineup tonight. its moving channels around. do i need to delete all my season passes and redo do them? charter says i might need to reset the tivo.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

As long as your Tivo has the updated information, your SP's will record on the new channels. SP's are not channel number specific, they are channel identifier specific. So whatever data identifies BBCA, will follow it to whatever channel number it happens to be on.

You may have to repeat guided setup to get the new channel lineup once it's available.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

You may have to repeat guided setup to get the new channel lineup once it's available.
That is hardly ever the case. Of course people often will run it because they don't see the new channels right away. Then they end up selecting a temporary lineup that will disappear in a week or two and it just causes more problems. For the most part, Charter is pretty good about getting their changes to Tribune in a timely manner.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Lars_J

Unless the added/moved channels are premium channels (like HBO, Showtime), TiVo boxes automatically add new or moved channels to its channel lineup. That's always been the case for me. Season passes should not have to be modified or updated.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
That is hardly ever the case.
Correct, but it does happen which is why I said "may have to..." rather than "will have to..."
It is not uncommon for a cable co to change the name of a lineup when they make significant changes. In these cases it is necessary to repeat guided setup or now that I think of it, there is an option to change just the lineup. However, the point is that the user may have to do something other than just wait to get the new lineup on their tivo.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Correct, but it does happen which is why I said "may have to..." rather than "will have to..."
It is not uncommon for a cable co to change the name of a lineup when they make significant changes. In these cases it is necessary to repeat guided setup or now that I think of it, there is an option to change just the lineup. However, the point is that the user may have to do something other than just wait to get the new lineup on their tivo.
Charter rarely if ever does that however. I believe it is Comcast who is the worst offender. Most likely it is in the way they deal with Tribune.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
a68oliver

Keep in mind that the Tivo probably won't recognize the lineup change exactly at midnight, or whatever time they do the cutover. You usually get the new lineup after the first call after the change. So depending on when your Tivo phones home, it could be delayed as much as 24 hours.

If you don't have the new lineup, I would force a call/connection to download fresh data. Then give it a few hours to update its guide.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
tootal2

tivo updated the guide but charter has not upgrade the channel lineup so i cant record on most hd channels. but im getting more hd channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Keep in mind that the Tivo probably won't recognize the lineup change exactly at midnight, or whatever time they do the cutover. You usually get the new lineup after the first call after the change. So depending on when your Tivo phones home, it could be delayed as much as 24 hours.

If you don't have the new lineup, I would force a call/connection to download fresh data. Then give it a few hours to update its guide.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
cptlapcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
tivo updated the guide but charter has not upgrade the channel lineup so i cant record on most hd channels. but im getting more hd channels
That is what happened to me two weeks ago in Southern California. Tivo changed the guide to reflect nine new HD channels and a week or so later the changes took place from Charter. I didn't even know that I was going to get the new HD channels. I just thought the Missouri area was going to get them. Since the original update I have received a few more HD channels. Boy am I happy with Charter.
cptlapcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Charter rarely if ever does that however. I believe it is Comcast who is the worst offender. Most likely it is in the way they deal with Tribune.
"Rarely ever" means that they do do it.

I said that something was possible. You admit that it is, so I don't get why you need to be doing this.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
"Rarely ever" means that they do do it.

I said that something was possible. You admit that it is, so I don't get why you need to be doing this.
The "if" that you omitted from the quote is important. "rarely ever" is not the same as "rarely if ever". The former says that they have occasionally done it. The latter says that it is possible that they have never done it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Ok sorry I missed that.
So now it's that he doesn't know, but keeps going on about it anyway. That's much better.

Last edited by scandia101 : 04-21-2012 at 02:33 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Ok sorry I missed that.
So now it's that he doesn't know, but keeps going on about it anyway. That's much better.
I've had Charter for over 10 years and since I have been a member of this forum for almost 8 years I have never once seem them do this on Charter except cases where Charter markets were bought by another company or Charter bought up a small cable company. I do think telling people to run Guide Setup is only likely to cause more issues than them letting things take care of themselves which is likely to happen.