TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
TsingTao

Trouble with Series3 and Comcast

Hey all,

I've been having trouble the last couple weeks with my S3 on Comcast, now calling themselves XFinity in my area here in Chicago. I've had HD with them for years since I bought my new Series 3 (with OLED) without a problem. The initial setup was a bit painful since CableCards were brand new but after it was done things were solid as a rock. A couple months ago it started having all sorts of issues. Every time I'd call them I would find out something else was wrong.

- They don't think I have cable cards
- They have the old cable card info and not the new cable card info when I replaced my cards per their support.
- They think I have 4 cable cards and not 2 since no one wiped the old cards off my account
- The numbers are backwards between Card1 and Card2.
- HostID or DataID numbers are transposed.
- My account isn't flagged as authorized for HD.

It's maddening. Every time I either talk to someone on the phone or in person they go through and find one of those errors, fix it, and I get service again. This service lasts for 24-72 hours then stops working. I call, they find something different, then fix it. Rinse and repeat.

The last two times I've called I have spoken to a senior dispatcher/supervisor. They assure me everything is correct and tell me that they think my Series 3 is the issue. "It's an old unit and may no longer be compatible..." is the line they seem to be sticking to at this point.

Since the technology to reach through my phone and choke someone on the other end doesn't exist I come to you for help. Has anyone had this sort of nonsense happen recently with Comcast? If so how were you able to get it resolved? I haven't found anything online that would back up their claim that my Series3 is no longer compatible, and neither tech can provide any evidence that the firmware they're loading on the card is somehow incompatible with my TiVo. I have a lifetime, and I like TivO, so I want this to work again like it has for 6+ years.

Oh, the TiVo has a fresh power supply and a HDD that's less than 2 years old. It passes a Kickstart54. What else can I check on my end to make sure it's not my TiVo?
TsingTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
lpwcomp

The reason you can'f find anything on the internet about your TiVo being incompatible is because it isn't. They are lying.

My suggestion would be to send e-mail detailing your situation to We_Can_Help@comcast.com

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The reason you can'f find anything on the internet about your TiVo being incompatible is because it isn't. They are lying.

My suggestion would be to send e-mail detailing your situation to We_Can_Help@comcast.com
And maybe even cc that email to the FCC?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And maybe even cc that email to the FCC?
Probably wouldn't help. OTOH, if you get no satisfactory resolution to your problems from the e-mail, by all means file a formal complaint with the FCC.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Corran Horn

The best way to get a high level of competent service with Comcast is to hit up one of their people on twitter.