TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #961
Orthanos

My system now comes on and I can get through the TIVO screens.

Each reset the Tivo says there is an issue and that I need to reset the DMR, each time I do that it cycles around to the same thing.

Going to try and reset and clear settings and see if it will contact tivo and maybe that will help.

unless someone has other ideas
Orthanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #962
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthanos View Post
My system now comes on and I can get through the TIVO screens.

Each reset the Tivo says there is an issue and that I need to reset the DMR, each time I do that it cycles around to the same thing.

Going to try and reset and clear settings and see if it will contact tivo and maybe that will help.

unless someone has other ideas
If it'll let you get far enough into the menus to do a clear and delete everything, do so.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #963
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it'll let you get far enough into the menus to do a clear and delete everything, do so.
Started that process this morning before leaving home. Will see how it did when I get home. I guess I better find that darn phone outlet in the meantime

thanks for all your help by the way.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #964
motorcycle_rider

Orthanos, sorry i have not been able to add comments but unitron has been giving you the exact answer I would. I the image I provided for the toshiba drive everytime I used it always did the gsod then you had to do the clear and delete. If you made it that far you should be all set.
motorcycle_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #965
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle_rider View Post
Orthanos, sorry i have not been able to add comments but unitron has been giving you the exact answer I would. I the image I provided for the toshiba drive everytime I used it always did the gsod then you had to do the clear and delete. If you made it that far you should be all set.
No worries and nothing to apologize for. He certainly pointed me in the right direction and now that guided setup is done I am happy to say that my Tivo has downloaded the new channels, and recognizes my lifetime service.

You two have been very helpful and I so appreciate it.

Thank you both for all your help!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #966
Orthanos

So now its time to do the happy dance...
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #967
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle_rider View Post
But without your image my advice would only have been of theoretical interest.

I tried theoretically recording TV shows, and backing them up to computer never seemed to work.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #968
Shogun82

So I have read that the image file for the (TCD748000) Premiere XL 2TB drive does not exist online at this time. Is it true that this image can't be acquired over the web at this time? My original drive was taken out and sold, so it is impossible for me to get the image from the original drive.

Please let me know if I am (or am not) correct. Any additional info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shogun82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #969
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun82 View Post
So I have read that the image file for the (TCD748000) Premiere XL 2TB drive does not exist online at this time. Is it true that this image can't be acquired over the web at this time? My original drive was taken out and sold, so it is impossible for me to get the image from the original drive.

Please let me know if I am (or am not) correct. Any additional info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The reason no image file has been uploaded is that there is no way to create a backup for a Premiere except by copying the entire disk.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #970
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The reason no image file has been uploaded is that there is no way to create a backup for a Premiere except by copying the entire disk.
I was thinking about copying mine then compressing it on the super, super compressions setting just to see how small it would be. I have two things stopping me, I don't have 2tb of space to work with and 2. my premier is filled with shows and I don't want to delete everything just to reduce the image size after compression.

I bought my premier already upgraded so I don't have the smaller stock drive to play with.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #971
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I was thinking about copying mine then compressing it on the super, super compressions setting just to see how small it would be. I have two things stopping me, I don't have 2tb of space to work with and 2. my premier is filled with shows and I don't want to delete everything just to reduce the image size after compression.

I bought my premier already upgraded so I don't have the smaller stock drive to play with.
That's an interesting thought. I believe cloning utilities like Acronis can create a workable copy of a TiVo drive, and presumably their backup function might work to backup and restore an entire TiVo drive, with compression. But I doubt that deleting everything would reduce the size of the backup, since old video data would still be strewn throughout the drive. What would be interesting is to make a compressed backup of a virgin drive, which we hope would be largely filled with zeros, to see if that could be compressed to not much larger than a truncated backup. Not everybody has Acronis, but I believe the free TodoBackup from Easeus can do something similar.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #972
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Philips DSR6000 3.5d image anyone? Trying to do a dd_rescue on my existing disk.

[edit] Was able to get my second DSR6000 manually upgraded to 3.5d, so all set.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy

Last edited by sbourgeo : 05-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #973
syndicat

Hi,

I need the image for TiVo HD (TCD652160), any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
syndicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #974
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicat View Post
Hi,

I need the image for TiVo HD (TCD652160), any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Well, if you search this thread for my posts you'll find one a few pages back.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #975
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Quote:
Well, if you search this thread for my posts you'll find one a few pages back.
Took me all of 20 seconds to do, myself... , found and used it to restore a TiVo HD earlier today. Thanks for having posted those!
GoldenTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #976
matt757

Quote:
If you use WinMFS, I think this will work.

url is: dl.dropbox.com/u/49887720/658000.tbk

If you let me refer you to get a dropbox account, we both get extra free space.

email or PM me for the referral
Unitron or anybody that has used this image from post 851, do you know if this image for the 658 HD XL is version 11.0K? My HD XL won't update to 11.0K, so I thought I'd attempt to do it manually with this image. Not worth the risk of me messing something up if it's an older version. Thanks!
matt757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #977
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt757 View Post
Unitron or anybody that has used this image from post 851, do you know if this image for the 658 HD XL is version 11.0K? My HD XL won't update to 11.0K, so I thought I'd attempt to do it manually with this image. Not worth the risk of me messing something up if it's an older version. Thanks!
Not sure what version that one is. The regular S3HD version posted in this thread is 9.x because it is a factory fresh copy. What version is your box now and what have you tried to get it to update? How long have you been waiting for it to update? Usually takes a few calls to Tivo to get the update (you can force these) and then you can check the System Info to see if the status is "Pending a restart". If so, you can force the restart. I just upgraded the drive in an S3HD and that is what I had to do.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #978
matt757

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Not sure what version that one is. The regular S3HD version posted in this thread is 9.x because it is a factory fresh copy. What version is your box now and what have you tried to get it to update? How long have you been waiting for it to update? Usually takes a few calls to Tivo to get the update (you can force these) and then you can check the System Info to see if the status is "Pending a restart". If so, you can force the restart. I just upgraded the drive in an S3HD and that is what I had to do.
My HD XL (658) won't upgrade to 11.0k. It's stuck on 11.0j. It's been stuck on 11.0j for several months I guess. I bought this Tivo on eBay about 18 months ago. When I go into Settings and manually Connect to Tivo, it connects, downloads, and on the last step, Loading info, it says (Pending restart). I've tried manual connects and restarting dozens of times.

Everything is working fine right now except that Video on Demand locks up pretty frequently with a grey screen, requiring a reboot. Also, a few months ago, it stopped getting guide data. I called Tivo and they wanted $200 to fix it. They also mentioned that there was a small percentage of HD XL's out there that were not updating to this 11.0K for some reason! So instead, I did a Clear and Delete Everything and it started getting guide data again, but the Video on Demand problem remained. I've got Product Lifetime on this, so I'd like to keep it working and get Video on Demand working right. I tried Kickstart codes 51,52, and 56 with no luck (I never saw the screen that is supposed to say "Installing a Service Update"). Also 54 Smart test and it passed.

I thought I'd try my hand at WinMFS and put the image on manually.
matt757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #979
in4ni

MY TCD652160 is down.

Hard drive failure and the Wife is freaking out. Any images available so i can get the box up and running?

Thank you
in4ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #980
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

in4ni, see post 723.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #981
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
in4ni, see post 723.
Thanks for looking that up for me.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #982
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Thanks for looking that up for me.
It should probably be a sticky at this point. It also motivated to make a new backup of my TiVo HD with the newly paired cable card, especially after realizing I didn't have a good 3.5d backup for my DSR6000 and DirecTV has apparently shut off the spigot. I should probably also grab a backup of my parents S2 the next time they go on vacation.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #983
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
It should probably be a sticky at this point. It also motivated to make a new backup of my TiVo HD with the newly paired cable card, especially after realizing I didn't have a good 3.5d backup for my DSR6000 and DirecTV has apparently shut off the spigot. I should probably also grab a backup of my parents S2 the next time they go on vacation.
Are you thinking that a backup of the HD will preserve the CableCard pairing if you ever need to do a drive swap? My only experience so far was putting a 1TB pre-imaged drive in my Premeire. The CableCard pairing was still intact so I'm thinking that it isn't necessary to back up the drive just to save the pairing. I'd be interested in hearing from others on this subject.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #984
lessd

Quote:
Are you thinking that a backup of the HD will preserve the CableCard pairing if you ever need to do a drive swap? My only experience so far was putting a 1TB pre-imaged drive in my Premeire. The CableCard pairing was still intact so I'm thinking that it isn't necessary to back up the drive just to save the pairing. I'd be interested in hearing from others on this subject.
Changing the Hard drive does require a new CableCard pairing for Comcast systems, (at least) at first you may think your cable card is ok as most channels will come in OK, but HBO type channels you may be paying for will not come in until the card is paired. A Comcast cable tech also told me that after 30 to 45 days a cable card that not paired will stop working, never tested this out. If you copy the original drive that was paired, than add space you will not have to do pairing again for your cable card.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #985
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
The Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ leads one to believe that re-pairing would be required if you restore a backup without that info, but I've only had a cable card for three weeks and don't have any personal experience with a drive swap including a cable card.

At this point, I'm just trying to cover my behind. The TiVo HD was released five years ago and the current software version 11.0K came out more than one year ago, so it is quite possible that development has stopped for this platform and a backup could be a handy thing to have on hand.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #986
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
The Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ leads one to believe that re-pairing would be required if you restore a backup without that info, but I've only had a cable card for three weeks and don't have any personal experience with a drive swap including a cable card.

At this point, I'm just trying to cover my behind. The TiVo HD was released five years ago and the current software version 11.0K came out more than one year ago, so it is quite possible that development has stopped for this platform and a backup could be a handy thing to have on hand.
I need to get a cablecard for an S3HD that I recently got. I swapped out the 160GB drive for a 320GB that I pulled from a spare unsub Premiere I have sitting on the shelf. Maybe after I get the cablecard working in the current box configuration I will swap the original drive back in to see if the pairing sticks. Given the pain of getting cablecards paired for my Tivos I can understand your desire for a backup of your own box.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #987
Zeosrule

Tcd540040

I need the image for TCD540xxx (TCD540040). Any help would be appreciated.
Zeosrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #988
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeosrule View Post
Wouldn't mind one of those myself. My parents have the 40 hour "nightlight" TiVo too.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #989
kozmo21

Quote:
Philips DSR6000 3.5d image anyone? Trying to do a dd_rescue on my existing disk.

[edit] Was able to get my second DSR6000 manually upgraded to 3.5d, so all set.
I could use a 3.5d image myself. After my last reboot, lost my local network channels.
kozmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #990
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeosrule View Post
You have to download both versions, .bak and .tbk, regardless of which you need

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...30#post8688730

and you have to remember it came off of a Maxtor 40GB drive, which is slighty larger. LBA wise, than its Seagate and Western Digital contemporaries, and must be restored to something at least as large, LBA wise.

I'd tell you that LBA number if the drive wasn't buried under a bunch of stuff.

Update, I found the drive.

You need at least 89293248 LBA, i.e. that number X 512 bytes.