TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Premiere front display lights - just a curiosity question

When I upgraded to a 2TB drive and had my Premiere's case open, I noticed that where the led's on the main board had clear plastic/acrylic pieces to carry the light to the front display where they show the red, blue, green, and amber circles. There are 5 lights on the front display, but there are 6 of these acrylic pieces that go from the main board to the front panel. Why is there an extra one on the green and amber side? there doesn't seem to be anything visible from the outside?
There is also something similar for the ir input, but it's obviously different than the others and that's not what I'm talking about.

I've labeled each one with the appropriate color circle, but the green and amber circles may be in the wrong position, but there's still an extra piece.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
When I upgraded to a 2TB drive and had my Premiere's case open, I noticed that where the led's on the main board had clear plastic/acrylic pieces to carry the light to the front display where they show the red, blue, green, and amber circles. There are 5 lights on the front display, but there are 6 of these acrylic pieces that go from the main board to the front panel. Why is there an extra one on the green and amber side? there doesn't seem to be anything visible from the outside?
There is also something similar for the ir input, but it's obviously different than the others and that's not what I'm talking about.

I've labeled each one with the appropriate color circle, but the green and amber circles may be in the wrong position, but there's still an extra piece.
the blue download light is next to the green light on the premiere, not next to the red.

eEdit: Sorry was looking at Elite.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Check out This:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/355

The lights on the front panel provide important information about the status of your DVR. The table below shows the meaning of the lights.

Green
Power is on

Amber/Yellow
Light flashes when a signal is received from remote.
Light is steady when a phone call is in progress.

Red
Recording in progress

Blue
Transfer or download in progress
Light flashes when a transfer is interrupted. See General network troubleshooting for tips.

Maybe that the yellow one.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Thanks, but you don't seem to understand the question.

Last edited by scandia101 : 04-20-2012 at 02:25 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Scandia is correct... It seems that there is an unused indicator to the left of the green indicator (as you are looking at the box)

I wonder if it is a diagnostic or kick start light of some type?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 04-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango

Maybe that part only comes in sets of 3, so they had one left over. I don't know, I'm just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

It does not look like the Elite has an extra unused indicator light.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Maybe that part only comes in sets of 3, so they had one left over. I don't know, I'm just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.
That could be it. However, I seem to remember that the extra one had what looked to be an led under it, just like the others. I very well could be wrong, it was last July when I did the upgrade and who knows what I actually saw.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

TiVo actually thought ahead on something. They have an extra LED indicator that they can implement when the need arises. I guess they plan to have this design around awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
GoEagles

I swear I was thinking about this today. The front panel of the Premiere seems to have some extra LED indicators? Also, ever notice the HD menu for the tuners show 4 red circles no matter what if it's a Premiere or an Elite? It would be really funny if the Premiere had the capability to record 4 channels out the box, but was hardware blocked.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
It would be really funny if the Premiere had the capability to record 4 channels out the box, but was hardware blocked.
Technically it probably does, the chipset is hooked up to four tuners. It's just two of them are ATSC (antenna) tuners and two are QAM (cable) tuners; TiVo just presents them in the user interface as a pair of tuners that can record from either source.
So with a change of software the TiVo Premeire probably could record two shows from an antenna while recording two more from cable.

TiVo Elite just ditched the ATSC tuners for 2 more QAM tuners and tweaked the software. But AFAIK otherwise it's using the same chipsets as the Premiere.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Technically it probably does, the chipset is hooked up to four tuners. It's just two of them are ATSC (antenna) tuners and two are QAM (cable) tuners; TiVo just presents them in the user interface as a pair of tuners that can record from either source.
So with a change of software the TiVo Premeire probably could record two shows from an antenna while recording two more from cable.

TiVo Elite just ditched the ATSC tuners for 2 more QAM tuners and tweaked the software. But AFAIK otherwise it's using the same chipsets as the Premiere.
I know remember reading this on a hardware site when it first came out, it does have four tuners built in. Even if they "turned on" two QAM tuners and one OTA tuner, I could fine with that. I wonder what kick it in. I imagine software of course. Pop in an Elite hard drive into a Premiere box and see what happens.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Series3Sub

What about an indicator for the upcoming extender device., especially of the extender is presumed to use one of the tuners from the box for a live TV stream to the extender in the other room. It would certainly be nice to have an indicator light that the person in the other room is using one of "my" tuners while I watch from the main box.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
What about an indicator for the upcoming extender device., especially of the extender is presumed to use one of the tuners from the box for a live TV stream to the extender in the other room. It would certainly be nice to have an indicator light that the person in the other room is using one of "my" tuners while I watch from the main box.
But then there would be an extra LED on the Elite models.. I mean XL4 models.
The extra LED is only on the two tuner Premieres. Unless they did change something with the XL4 boxes. But I would think all they will do is change the nameplate on the left side from Elite to XL4.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

Those acrylic prisms are called "Light Pipes", btw...
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I think the answer you seek is here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487183

Seems that the Premiere has an indicator light for when you have a Dolby Digital+ audio stream.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I think the answer you seek is here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487183

Seems that the Premiere has an indicator light for when you have a Dolby Digital+ audio stream.
They are not talking about the TiVo box in the other post but a AV Receiver's DD+ light turning on.

From Article:

"The good news is that both 1080p and 5.1 are supported and we even saw the Dolby Digital Plus light on our AVR get some action."
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
They are not talking about the TiVo box in the other post but a AV Receiver's DD+ light turning on.

From Article:

"The good news is that both 1080p and 5.1 are supported and we even saw the Dolby Digital Plus light on our AVR get some action."
Oops (Dammit). I even read that quote in the linked thread.
I must have thought "AVR" was a typo.

F*CK CANCER!