TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #931
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It's on the original drive weaknees removed when they put the bigger one in.
Assuming that Weaknees doesn't have a special arrangement whereby they acquire driveless TiVos.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #932
Orthanos

Unitron.

I too am looking for an image for the Toshiba SD-H400 S2. My drive is 80G and I have a spare 160 I would like to use.

I can't get past the powering up screen, and have even tried a working S1 Philips drive but no luck. that time I got nothing but snow.

Before i just throw it away I would love to try restoring with the tools and see if a good image will work.

Thanks in advance
I have a drop box account somewhere I can find the info for (I hope) hehee

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

-Orthanos/Jose
Orthanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #933
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthanos View Post
Unitron.

I too am looking for an image for the Toshiba SD-H400 S2. My drive is 80G and I have a spare 160 I would like to use.

I can't get past the powering up screen, and have even tried a working S1 Philips drive but no luck. that time I got nothing but snow.

Before i just throw it away I would love to try restoring with the tools and see if a good image will work.

Thanks in advance
I have a drop box account somewhere I can find the info for (I hope) hehee

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

-Orthanos/Jose
Don't capitalize me, it tickles.

I can't help with images for TiVos that have DVD drives or satellite tuners. Never got my hands on any of them.

Maybe motorcycle_rider

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=227446

can help you out. PM or email him.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #934
Orthanos

Thanks,

I used some mfstools and I have a bad partition table

Now to find an image or backup
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #935
unitron

Quote:
Thanks,

I used some mfstools and I have a bad partition table

Now to find an image or backup
Use either the MFS Live cd v1.4 (the successor to MFS Tools) or WinMFS (a program that runs on Windows XP or newer, and is written by the same guy as MFS Live).

Both are available at mfslive.org

Do you know exactly what's wrong with the partition table?

Except, of course, in a TiVo drive, it's not a partition table, it's an Apple Partition Map.

Is the 80GB drive the original factory installed drive for that Toshiba?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #936
Orthanos

Using the WinMFS I am getting the following:

Error Number: 6
Error Message: Error reading the partition table.

Once I click ok, no matter what option i choose i get Not a Tivo Drive.

the frustrations of not having enough posts to send pm's or emails. haha
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #937
Orthanos

I have a Mac, Do you think I could format a new drive as a mac journaled drive and then work some magic to get it as a blank tivo drive?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #938
unitron

Quote:
Using the WinMFS I am getting the following:

Error Number: 6
Error Message: Error reading the partition table.

Once I click ok, no matter what option i choose i get Not a Tivo Drive.

the frustrations of not having enough posts to send pm's or emails. haha
Are you running WinMFS on a Mac or a PC?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #939
Orthanos

Quote:
Are you running WinMFS on a Mac or a PC?
Running on Windows XP (yeah I know its old and ghetto, but it works)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #940
lpwcomp

Quote:
Running on Windows XP (yeah I know its old and ghetto, but it works)
Some of us are still running Win2K.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #941
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Some of us are still running Win2K.
haha, as long as it works.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #942
motorcycle_rider

Quote:
Don't capitalize me, it tickles.

I can't help with images for TiVos that have DVD drives or satellite tuners. Never got my hands on any of them.

Maybe motorcycle_rider

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=227446

can help you out. PM or email him.
I have one, now just to find out where I left the link..... try this one its winmfs

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62129777/Winmfs_SD-H400.zip
motorcycle_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #943
Bracer99

Might as well throw this out here as well...

I was trying to use WinMFS to replace the (failing, but not yet dead) drives in a Sony SVR-3000 this morning, but since it's been a couple of years since I did it last time I managed to flub it somehow. Now it refuses to boot up, no matter which set of drives I use (and yes, I tried both options under Restore Bootpage).

I could have sworn I had an image saved somewhere for just such an emergency, but after several hours of searching it hasn't turned up.

Lil' help?...
Bracer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #944
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracer99 View Post
Might as well throw this out here as well...

I was trying to use WinMFS to replace the (failing, but not yet dead) drives in a Sony SVR-3000 this morning, but since it's been a couple of years since I did it last time I managed to flub it somehow. Now it refuses to boot up, no matter which set of drives I use (and yes, I tried both options under Restore Bootpage).

I could have sworn I had an image saved somewhere for just such an emergency, but after several hours of searching it hasn't turned up.

Lil' help?...
Let me see if I understand.

You have the version of that S2 Sony that came with 2 drives instead of one?

You tried to copy the 2 drives currently in the unit to 2 other drives?

And now the new replacements won't work and the ones that were in it won't work either?

I haven't heard of that unit having problems with capacitors going bad in the power supply, but since you've already got the lid off you should eliminate that as a possible problem.

I know that the S1 Sony and Philips models could use each others images to a limited degree if you swapped remotes.

(Only recommended for test and experimentation purposes)

Perhaps a TCD240xxx image (which will supposedly work on a 140 as well) would boot up enough to let you confirm that the Sony itself is still working.

You could put it on the replacement drive set, or one of them, and then overwrite it later when you get the right image.

Here are images that will need to restore to a drive bigger than the average 80GB drive (orginally was on a Maxtor with slightly higher LBA number than other brands's 80GB drives).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8707432

Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #945
Bracer99

Quote:
Let me see if I understand.

You have the version of that S2 Sony that came with 2 drives instead of one?

You tried to copy the 2 drives currently in the unit to 2 other drives?

And now the new replacements won't work and the ones that were in it won't work either?

I haven't heard of that unit having problems with capacitors going bad in the power supply, but since you've already got the lid off you should eliminate that as a possible problem.

I know that the S1 Sony and Philips models could use each others images to a limited degree if you swapped remotes.

(Only recommended for test and experimentation purposes)

Perhaps a TCD240xxx image (which will supposedly work on a 140 as well) would boot up enough to let you confirm that the Sony itself is still working.

You could put it on the replacement drive set, or one of them, and then overwrite it later when you get the right image.

Here are images that will need to restore to a drive bigger than the average 80GB drive (orginally was on a Maxtor with slightly higher LBA number than other brands's 80GB drives).
Actually, this is an S2 Sony I upgraded many years ago, shortly after I first bought it (IIRC, replacing a single 80GB with two 120GB drives). It's been through at least two drive replacements since then, as each set inevitably just got old and failed. Both previous replacements went off without a hitch using the old Mfs Tools 2.0.

Since then I discovered WinMFS, and -- especially given that I no longer own any PCs with two IDE connectors (which also means I couldn't use something like Instant Cake) -- figured this would make it easy enough to create an image of the old (failing) drives from the Sony, then copy that image to a new pair of drives. But, like I said, I flubbed it somewhere along the line and now neither set of drives will successfully boot. I don't think it's any kind of hardware problem, although I'm not even sure I'd know how to check if that was the case.

I suppose I'll try the suggested image and at least to see if it will boot. Thanks for the help so far...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #946
unitron

Quote:
Actually, this is an S2 Sony I upgraded many years ago, shortly after I first bought it (IIRC, replacing a single 80GB with two 120GB drives). It's been through at least two drive replacements since then, as each set inevitably just got old and failed. Both previous replacements went off without a hitch using the old Mfs Tools 2.0.

Since then I discovered WinMFS, and -- especially given that I no longer own any PCs with two IDE connectors (which also means I couldn't use something like Instant Cake) -- figured this would make it easy enough to create an image of the old (failing) drives from the Sony, then copy that image to a new pair of drives. But, like I said, I flubbed it somewhere along the line and now neither set of drives will successfully boot. I don't think it's any kind of hardware problem, although I'm not even sure I'd know how to check if that was the case.

I suppose I'll try the suggested image and at least to see if it will boot. Thanks for the help so far...
If you have a pair of drives that were in the Sony, I'd think you'd have to connect both to the PC running WinMFS to make a proper image.

Do you have only one PATA/IDE header, and either the slave or master position taken up by your CD or DVD drive?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #947
Bracer99

Quote:
If you have a pair of drives that were in the Sony, I'd think you'd have to connect both to the PC running WinMFS to make a proper image.

Do you have only one PATA/IDE header, and either the slave or master position taken up by your CD or DVD drive?
The motherboard has one IDE connector (header?), and as you know, a given connector supports two drives, one master and one slave. I had both Sony drives connected at the same time.

All the other drives in the PC (including the BD/DVD/CD drive, along with the SSD I use as a main drive, the two 1TB I use for storage, and the older 500GB one I use just to back up the SSD regularly) use SATA. This is actually the first time I've used the IDE connector since I built the PC.

Actually, now that I think of it, could the problem have been getting the Sony drives attached to the PC backwards, reversing the master/slave setup? Both drives had been jumpered for cable select, and for convenience I used a different cable to hook them to the PC. I'm usually pretty careful about such things, but who knows?

IIRC (and all things considered, I'm probably not), once I had the PC booted to Windows (W7 64-bit), I couldn't get WinMFS to recognize the Tivo drives until I thought to run the program as an administrator. At that point, the A drive was listing as "S2 or S3 Tivo" but the B was showing as "windows". I tried making an image anyway and got an error message (something like "only one of these drives is actually from a a Tivo"). I then tried rebooting the PC and running WinMFS as administrator the first time, and this time both drives came up as Tivo. Yay. I made an image (saving to one of the PC's SATA storage drives), shut off the PC, hooked up the two new drives, rebooted the PC, and tried using WinMFS to restore the image to the new drives. It asked me if I wanted to expand to both drives, which I thought a little odd, but went ahead and did. After slipping the new drives into the Tivo, I hooked it up to the TV, but it never got past the "Welcome. Powering up" message. Putting the old drives back in got the same result. I tried hooking the new drives up to the PC again, running WinMFS and trying "Restore Bootpage" -- didn't help. I tried bootpage Option 2, and that didn't work either.

At that point, I figured my only option was to see if I could track down the image I thought I'd saved somewhere and try to restore from that, but then I couldn't find it despite a thorough and exhausting search, and presume it's been lost to the ages. So I posted my woes on a couple of different boards, seeing if anyone had a spare SVR3000 image they might throw my way. This pretty much brings you up to date.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #948
unitron

Quote:
The motherboard has one IDE connector (header?), and as you know, a given connector supports two drives, one master and one slave. I had both Sony drives connected at the same time.

All the other drives in the PC (including the BD/DVD/CD drive, along with the SSD I use as a main drive, the two 1TB I use for storage, and the older 500GB one I use just to back up the SSD regularly) use SATA. This is actually the first time I've used the IDE connector since I built the PC.

Actually, now that I think of it, could the problem have been getting the Sony drives attached to the PC backwards, reversing the master/slave setup? Both drives had been jumpered for cable select, and for convenience I used a different cable to hook them to the PC. I'm usually pretty careful about such things, but who knows?

IIRC (and all things considered, I'm probably not), once I had the PC booted to Windows (W7 64-bit), I couldn't get WinMFS to recognize the Tivo drives until I thought to run the program as an administrator. At that point, the A drive was listing as "S2 or S3 Tivo" but the B was showing as "windows". I tried making an image anyway and got an error message (something like "only one of these drives is actually from a a Tivo"). I then tried rebooting the PC and running WinMFS as administrator the first time, and this time both drives came up as Tivo. Yay. I made an image (saving to one of the PC's SATA storage drives), shut off the PC, hooked up the two new drives, rebooted the PC, and tried using WinMFS to restore the image to the new drives. It asked me if I wanted to expand to both drives, which I thought a little odd, but went ahead and did. After slipping the new drives into the Tivo, I hooked it up to the TV, but it never got past the "Welcome. Powering up" message. Putting the old drives back in got the same result. I tried hooking the new drives up to the PC again, running WinMFS and trying "Restore Bootpage" -- didn't help. I tried bootpage Option 2, and that didn't work either.

At that point, I figured my only option was to see if I could track down the image I thought I'd saved somewhere and try to restore from that, but then I couldn't find it despite a thorough and exhausting search, and presume it's been lost to the ages. So I posted my woes on a couple of different boards, seeing if anyone had a spare SVR3000 image they might throw my way. This pretty much brings you up to date.

Again, thanks for the help.
One thing to watch out for is jumpering for cable select versus master and slave.

Is the IDE cable in the Sony an 80 conductor 40 pin, or the older 40 conductor 40 pin type?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #949
Bracer99

Quote:
One thing to watch out for is jumpering for cable select versus master and slave.

Is the IDE cable in the Sony an 80 conductor 40 pin, or the older 40 conductor 40 pin type?
Interesting -- now that you mention it, the IDE cable in the Sony is an older 40 wire version. Does that make any difference?

[I hope not, because as it happens, that cable broke during the last time I was taking the unit apart. If that's the case, now I'm gonna have to go digging through my Ancient Spare Parts box looking for an older IDE cable...]
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #950
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle_rider View Post
I have one, now just to find out where I left the link..... try this one its winmfs

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62129777/Winmfs_SD-H400.zip
OMG you rock. I will try this out tonight. Thanks a ton I will see if this helps my issue. Should I keep trying to use WinMFS or should I use the new iso?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #951
unitron

Quote:
Interesting -- now that you mention it, the IDE cable in the Sony is an older 40 wire version. Does that make any difference?

[I hope not, because as it happens, that cable broke during the last time I was taking the unit apart. If that's the case, now I'm gonna have to go digging through my Ancient Spare Parts box looking for an older IDE cable...]
The later TiVo brand S2s (which were not designed to accomodate 2 drives) came with 80 conductor 40 pin cables and drives jumpered cable select, but I think that Sony was one of the first S2s, and other than being designed for either one or two drives, I'm not sure how much S1 heritage that Sony carried over, or if it's IDE controller knows how to do 80 conductor style cable select (which differs somewhat, I think, from the old 40 conductor style cable select), so maybe you need to jumper the drives master and slave so that the drives tell the controller and not the other way around.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #952
unitron

Quote:
OMG you rock. I will try this out tonight. Thanks a ton I will see if this helps my issue. Should I keep trying to use WinMFS or should I use the new iso?
Once you unzip that you should have a file that ends in .tbk, which means use WinMFS to restore it.

But burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 anyway (which you would use if you had a .bak file), just to keep handy. It's useful even if you don't own a TiVo.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #953
Orthanos

Quote:
Once you unzip that you should have a file that ends in .tbk, which means use WinMFS to restore it.

But burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 anyway (which you would use if you had a .bak file), just to keep handy. It's useful even if you don't own a TiVo.
I have a .tak, .tbk and a .tbp in the file. Do I run them in a special order? Also I just realized my spare drive it not a maxtor but a WD 160G.

Should I do anything to the drive? I tried to backup my S1 to it, but it never finished and a restore of the tbk from my S1 gaave me an error.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #954
unitron

Quote:
I have a .tak, .tbk and a .tbp in the file. Do I run them in a special order? Also I just realized my spare drive it not a maxtor but a WD 160G.

Should I do anything to the drive? I tried to backup my S1 to it, but it never finished and a restore of the tbk from my S1 gaave me an error.
I'm guessing the .tak is a kernel backup and .tbp is a bootpage backup, but the truncated full image (which is what you want and need) is the .tbk

Just open WinMFS, select the drive, click restore, select the .tbk file, and let it do it's thing.

That model came with a Maxtor 80GB drive, which may or may not be one of the bigger than average LBA-wise models, but that 160GB drive will be more than big enough regardless of brand or LBA number.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #955
Bracer99

Quote:
The later TiVo brand S2s (which were not designed to accomodate 2 drives) came with 80 conductor 40 pin cables and drives jumpered cable select, but I think that Sony was one of the first S2s, and other than being designed for either one or two drives, I'm not sure how much S1 heritage that Sony carried over, or if it's IDE controller knows how to do 80 conductor style cable select (which differs somewhat, I think, from the old 40 conductor style cable select), so maybe you need to jumper the drives master and slave so that the drives tell the controller and not the other way around.
Worth a try I guess -- at this point I'll try anything. Still, if anyone has a drive image, that would be appreciated as well...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #956
Orthanos

Quote:
I'm guessing the .tak is a kernel backup and .tbp is a bootpage backup, but the truncated full image (which is what you want and need) is the .tbk

Just open WinMFS, select the drive, click restore, select the .tbk file, and let it do it's thing.

That model came with a Maxtor 80GB drive, which may or may not be one of the bigger than average LBA-wise models, but that 160GB drive will be more than big enough regardless of brand or LBA number.
I started with my 160GB WD HDD.
Deleted the format
Restored
Now it saw it was a tivo drive once again and no errors.

First boot I was pretty disappointed as it just did nothing although it got past the Welcome. Powering Up... Page to a black screen.

Next boot I took an RGB/Video cable and plugged that in, thinking maybe the cable out was not happy.

2nd boot I got the following:

Welcome. Powering up...
The on/Standby button lit green (This was new)
Almost there. Just a few minutes more screen. (I was pretty happy seeing a tivo logo

Now I am at a geren screen that says...

"The DVR has detected a serious problem and is trying to fix it.
This will take about three hours.

PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG OR RESTART THE DVR!

If after three hours, the DVR does not restart, please call Customer Support.

Is this a step in the right direction?

Wait it out and pray for the best?

or is this a Green Screen of Death?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #957
unitron

Quote:
I started with my 160GB WD HDD.
Deleted the format
Restored
Now it saw it was a tivo drive once again and no errors.

First boot I was pretty disappointed as it just did nothing although it got past the Welcome. Powering Up... Page to a black screen.

Next boot I took an RGB/Video cable and plugged that in, thinking maybe the cable out was not happy.

2nd boot I got the following:

Welcome. Powering up...
The on/Standby button lit green (This was new)
Almost there. Just a few minutes more screen. (I was pretty happy seeing a tivo logo

Now I am at a geren screen that says...

"The DVR has detected a serious problem and is trying to fix it.
This will take about three hours.

PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG OR RESTART THE DVR!

If after three hours, the DVR does not restart, please call Customer Support.

Is this a step in the right direction?

Wait it out and pray for the best?

or is this a Green Screen of Death?
Yes, that is the famous GSOD (or at least one of them).

Since the image came from a Toshiba with a different TSN, there's going to be some sort of adjustment process. This may be it.

Think of it more as a Green Screen of Severe Indigestion and give it time to sort itself out.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #958
ggieseke

Quote:
My S2DTs all came with 40 conductor cables. It shouldn't matter, but when I tried to use the 80 conductor cable that came with a pre-imaged drive from DVRUpgrade it wouldn't boot up. I went back to the original cable and all was good.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #959
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
My S2DTs all came with 40 conductor cables. It shouldn't matter, but when I tried to use the 80 conductor cable that came with a pre-imaged drive from DVRUpgrade it wouldn't boot up. I went back to the original cable and all was good.
You're talking about the TCD649080 or TCD649180, right?

The 3 I've got came with 80 conductor 40 pin cables, about 4" long, with the blue plug on the end plugged onto the motherboard header and the black on the end plugged into the 80GB WD drive, which was jumpered CS.

But the S2 DT was the last of the S2s, and the Sony 3000 one of the first, so they may not have the same IDE controller chip or circuitry.

Early in my SATA/IDE adapter experiments (avoid the SunPlus chipsets like the plague) I got an S2 DT to recognize one adapter jumpered master and another jumpered slave on a 40 conductor cable, so it's backwards compatible.

(Currently that machine is using the twinbreeze bracket, including the 80 conductor cable weaknees includes)

The question here is whether the Sony is frontwards compatible with 80 conductor cables.

I do not know, but the chance that it might not be makes doing the master/slave jumpering thing with a 40 conductor cable a valid troubleshooting technique.

Apparently in the early days of DVRupgrade's Instant Cake image cds there was a need to have the drive or drives jumpered master/slave instead of cable select for the image write to be successful, and maybe even after being put back in the TiVo. I really don't understand why it would make a difference, but hard drives seem to involve a lot of voodoo where the phase of the moon has to be just right and it matters in which direction you smear the goat's blood.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #960
Orthanos

Quote:
Yes, that is the famous GSOD (or at least one of them).

Since the image came from a Toshiba with a different TSN, there's going to be some sort of adjustment process. This may be it.

Think of it more as a Green Screen of Severe Indigestion and give it time to sort itself out.
Thanks unitron,
I will give it more time. at least now its past the GSOD, and starting so its moving in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help