TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
mrdazzo7

"The Voice" - 4/16/20

I only watched the voice maybe twice last year and I thought it was at least tolerable as opposed to the other singing shows on TV--it seemed to at least be focused on the right things. Needed something on the TV for background noise while I got some stuff done so I had it on before, and it just reminded me how out of touch I am with these shows.

First of all, the spectacle of it is just as stupid as it was in Idol the two or three times I've seen it over the last few years. Seems this show went down the same road of staging vs. actually singing. The big thing for me, and this happened when I watched Idol back in season one, is that stuff that sounds horrible to me gets unbridled praise from everyone else, and it leaves me confused. The one girl who sang that Katy Perry song sounded absolutely horrible, and that singing a KATY PERRY SONG, and I though for sure they would rip her apart, but they couldn't have been happier. I thought the guy who did the coldplay song did great, but they were like "meh"... I don't get it, but then again , that's why I don't really watch.

But what was up with the "instant elimination" thing? He said they never did that before so I thought it was odd... I'd think they only reaosn they'd have to do that is if something got mixed up with the timing and they needed people gone faster?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Well this is only the second year and they let a lot more contestants get through the Blind Auditions so , yeah, I think the instant elimination was just a way to stay on schedule with extra contestants.

That said I thought the opera singer doing Coldplay was not that great. He would have been my choice to eliminate because I think he has little to no chance to actually win. I can't believe she cut Jesse two weeks ago all the other judges were saying he was the one to beat.

If i was Blake I think I would have gotten rid of Jermaine Paul. He completely over sang that Phil Collins song. Even Adam said as much.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The performance with Christina Aguilera, doing "Fighter," was pretty darn awful, except for perhaps Ashley De La Rosa. Lindsey, Chris, and Jesse were ALL like stabbing ice picks through my eardrums during this song. Also, adding a choir to this song proved that more is not better. (And Christina looked awful during this. Seriously, Christina, put on some real clothes, clothes that actually fit. Frankly, she looked very "Jersey Shore" during this.)

The other special performance tonight, Maroon 5... Adam knows he's on network television, right? Why on earth wouldn't he censor himself instead of relying on the network censor? Nothing is more distracting than when the network censor has to dump the audio.

I can't say I'm particularly loving anyone left in the competition, at least the way they've been performing since the live shows began.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
mqpickles

I really like Jordis, and I'm sad to see her go. I would have eliminated Rae Lynn, but I knew Blake wouldn't. I thought he'd let Erin go. And I thought his reason for ditching Jordis was a cop-out. (Then again, if Christina hadn't hogged all the air-time, maybe Blake would have had time to explain better.)

Unlike everyone else in the world, I'm okay with Christina's decision to eliminate Jesse. He's super-talented, but I don't think he's a standout (like my current faves Jamar and Juliet).

Will be interesting to see who's eliminated tomorrow. The ads for tomorrow were hyping last-chance performances, but if it's all on public vote in the next 10 hours, then what does the last-chance performance mean?
mqpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Chrstina - "Why can't Blake go first?" Because the producers KNOW you won't STFU and we've only got so much time to do this thing!!!

After Christina eliminated Jesse, I think Blake should have eliminated Chris Mann!

I love that Cold Play song and when those first notes started I was "Ya!" (I FF through all the blah, blah stuff). Blech - he managed to kill it, and not at all in the good way.

I actually found myself liking all of Blake's team's performances, hence wishing Blake would have eliminated Chris Mann (I know, I know - he COULDN'T).

I really wish he would have kept Jordis, though. I, too, thought his reasoning was a total cop out. But I have no way of knowing what he was really thinking and he was left with no time to explain anything.

I was surprised by the live elimination thing, but holy crap - that means we have two teams of three people with one person elimated from each team and I suppose four total "sing for your life" songs, but a whole hour??????

And if all four coaches sang with their teams tonight, what the heck are they going to find for all the filler next week? This show is starting to rub me raw with all the time-killing junk they throw at us. Trim the time and tighten things up, huh? I don't want to break my FF button.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqpickles View Post
I really like Jordis, and I'm sad to see her go. I would have eliminated Rae Lynn, but I knew Blake wouldn't.
I enjoyed Rae Lynn. I thought hers was one of the best performances all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
And if all four coaches sang with their teams tonight, what the heck are they going to find for all the filler next week? This show is starting to rub me raw with all the time-killing junk they throw at us. Trim the time and tighten things up, huh? I don't want to break my FF button.
They didn't. I thought that only Blake and Christina did. Adam performed with his band but I don't think his team was there.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
They didn't. I thought that only Blake and Christina did. Adam performed with his band but I don't think his team was there.
Yup, you're right. I think the thing that threw me off was Adam performing, too.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
bryhamm
randomize

Very surprised that Christina let Jesse go. And did you see the look on Adam's face when she did?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
nyny523
Oy

I was kinda shocked when Christina cut Jesse - I thought Lindsay sounded terrible, and Chris sounded schlockey - either of them could have been cut and I would have understood. I actually think Ashley is the best person on her team, with the most potential.

As for Blake, clearly Erin was the weakest last night (why, oh, WHY do they keep trying to sing Adele on all these competition shows? NO ONE sounds good singing Adele!!!), but he cut Jordis instead. I don't really have a problem with cutting her - I think Jordis is weak. I don't feel the love for Rae Lynn, though (and I am a country music fan). I think if Jermaine just pulls back a bit, he could be great (I agree with the comments about his oversinging).

Honestly, I think that right now, Juliet has the best chance to win this whole thing - depending on how she does next week. If she can do another "Roxanne" level performance, I think she can win.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

For me it's Juliet or Tony Lucca winning the whole thing.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
tem

I like Ashley. She was by far the best in The Skank's team sing.

As much as I dislike Jordis, Blake should haev gotten rid of Chris Mann. He can't sing anything in a voice that doesn't scream "opera". He totally sucks just like the guy he's trying to imitate, Josh Groban.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

there isn't anyone jumping out at me as awesome like last year, Juliet is the closest thing to that.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
As much as I dislike Jordis, Blake should haev gotten rid of Chris Mann.
I'd have LOVED that, but alas, Chris Mann is on Christina's team, so Blake couldn't cut him.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
tem

ok, then they both should have gone
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Cainebj

Quote:
If i was Blake I think I would have gotten rid of Jermaine Paul. He completely over sang that Phil Collins song. Even Adam said as much.
I agree with you and Adam - he was probably worst of the night for me.

I also think the Jordis elimination was a cop out. However - nothing to do with singing - she seems kind of overly emotional so I think the elimination was personal.

I think it is great that Aquilera is getting back in shape but seriously?
That spadasticy bathing suit outfit?
Please fire your stylist immediately.
Where are your gay friends to tell you that was bad?

Last edited by Cainebj : 04-17-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: p.s.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I won't spoil it but I am too lazy to start a new thread.

I am shocked at who the audience voted to be safe.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
mqpickles

Quote:
I won't spoil it but I am too lazy to start a new thread.

Both of them, or just the Team Xtina member?
mqpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqpickles View Post
Both of them, or just the Team Xtina member?
Both
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
Cainebj

Quote:
i concur.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
SNJpage1

This show has the dumbest set up. In the first rounds they take the two best singers on each team and put them against each other and one gets sent home. Meanwhile singers who arent as good get to stay.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

It's up to the judges to pair up their own singers. If judges put their best singers against each other, whose fault is that?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
It's up to the judges to pair up their own singers. If judges put their best singers against each other, whose fault is that?
You sure the bolded is true?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #23
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
You sure the bolded is true?
We are talking about the battle rounds, right? If so then yes, I'm sure--or at least that's how it's presented to the audience. I suppose there could be behind the scenes pressure applied by producers etc. but the stated rules are that the coaches make the choice of which singers are paired up, as well as which song they sing and which singer wins the battle.

Wikipedia says:
Quote:
In the second stage, called the battle phase, coaches have two of their team members battle against each other directly by singing the same song together, with the coach choosing which team member to advance from each of individual "battles" into the first live round.