TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Agatha Mystery

Eureka - "Lost" OAD 4-16-12

I'm not a fan of the direction that the writers took GD. It's less of a fun, quirky show the way this episode went. How many people does Beverly have kidnapped? Just the Astraeus crew? I'm not sure we really needed yet another show reboot. Maybe the writers are hoping for a reprieve.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was almost going with it until Beverly popped up. I mean, I knew she was in there somewhere because we had seen that, but as a mind control thing? I don't know. I hope they resolve it in the next couple episodes.

Jo and Carter kissing seemed almost incestuous, but I knew that something was up. He didn't greet Alison the same way Henry greeted Grace.

It was great to see familiar faces!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm not entirely sure what happened with this show behind the scenes...they had six episodes left, which had already been filmed; Syfy gave them another episode to end it properly; but now they're saying this season will have 14 episodes. So does that mean seven episodes after the "proper ending"?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I'm not entirely sure what happened with this show behind the scenes...they had six episodes left, which had already been filmed; Syfy gave them another episode to end it properly; but now they're saying this season will have 14 episodes. So does that mean seven episodes after the "proper ending"?
This season had already been filmed when the cancellation came down. The 6, not 7 episodes are NEXT season.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Peter000

Really was enjoying this until the twist ending. Loved the evil Andy. Loved the time jump forward. Not so sure about the virtual land now. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon, but I kind of doubt it. It's not bad exactly, just sort of a cop-out.

Anyway, I'll keep watching.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
JoBeth66
Temp

Consensus at my house was that this was Siffy's way of making sure the fans of this show are glad it's done with.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
This season had already been filmed when the cancellation came down. The 6, not 7 episodes are NEXT season.
Ah, I see what happened. They announced a six-episode Season 6. Then they took it back, and added an episode onto Season 5 to wrap it up.

I was conflating the two seasons.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Once they had the flashes during Zane's shock to the chest, I knew it was an artificial reality. After that, the "twist ending" wasn't that much of a twist.

I just hope they don't drag it out for too long. I hate artificial reality storylines. It's a whole lot of effort for something that ends up not being real. (I mean "real" in storyline context. I know nothing this show is real. I mean "real to the characters.")

I thought it was interesting seeing the menacing Andys... but the whole tone to the show was all wrong. If there's one thing I like about the show, it's that no matter what, the feeling is always at least partially light-hearted, and I didn't get that at all from this episode, and I don't get that from a plot line involving Beverly kidnapping half the town. I want the goofier, more light-hearted Eureka back.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Some of the questions that popped up as I watched it with a friend -

Is the whole town mind controlled into submission? it seemed so until we got to Carter, Henry and even Vincent who seemed not to be. By that I mean, not the happy face that Whil Wheaton and others had. It was what they were trying for with Henry and Grace but I wondered why it hadn't been done to Henry yet. These questions we asked during the commercials when we decided it must be a dream or something. It didn't all add up right.

Deputy Andy needed a goatee to be evil Andy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Some of the questions that popped up as I watched it with a friend -

Is the whole town mind controlled into submission? it seemed so until we got to Carter, Henry and even Vincent who seemed not to be. By that I mean, not the happy face that Whil Wheaton and others had. It was what they were trying for with Henry and Grace but I wondered why it hadn't been done to Henry yet. These questions we asked during the commercials when we decided it must be a dream or something. It didn't all add up right.

Deputy Andy needed a goatee to be evil Andy.
I'm pretty sure that the only people Beverly has inside her VR simulator are the Astreaus crew. You have to remember that everything and everyone else is a construct serving Beverly's evil plan. Within that construct what happened was that the DoD put the AI's in charge of Eureka, and doing so made a lot of people decide to quit. Before they were allowed to leave GD, they had an "Exit interview" with Andy, after which they decided to stay on (because Andy used the Universal Mind Control Device). So people like Carter and Vincent (who weren't GD employees), never got the UMCD treatment and therefore were suspicious of the AI's motives.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I'm pretty sure that the only people Beverly has inside her VR simulator are the Astreaus crew.
There looked like a lot more people at the end than there were in the Astreaus crew, but I'd have to go back and take a look at the crew photo to be sure.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
There looked like a lot more people at the end than there were in the Astreaus crew, but I'd have to go back and take a look at the crew photo to be sure.
Weren't there 18 in the crew? Or thereabouts. That's what I remember. The shot seemed about right to me.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I will say, that when I saw the title of the episode, I am glad at the end they didn't end up in Purgatory - though it still could be purgatory in Alison's mind or something like that.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

The real question is, why go through the ruse with the mind control/sedation scenario in the first place, when Beverly already had them under full control? She could have just simulated a split second trip, and had the crew back at their old posts in Eureka, if all she wanted was to harvest the results of their work.

Aside from the fact that the show writers needed something to happen that excited the viewers and get them hooked with the twist, maybe the point was to get them off the planetary exploration project, which she couldn't profit from?

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

I'm guessing that Beverley is attempting to harvest confidential information from them. By creating fake circumstances where they will break their loyalty to GD.

After all, in their minds, it's 2015/6 and most likely the information that Beverley seeks relates to something that is due to happen between now and then, so revealing it shouldn't matter, if their situation was real.

Also, how old is Jenna in the real Eureka world? The virtual Jenna appears to be a lot older than real Jenna + 4.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
I'm guessing that Beverley is attempting to harvest confidential information from them. By creating fake circumstances where they will break their loyalty to GD.
Seems unlikely. If they have the ability to create a direct brain interface virtual reality, reading some memories should be trivial, like reading data from a hard drive.

It would make more sense if she has a specific problem that needs creative genius to be solved, and Beverley is going to use their minds to solve the problem.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

In crreating the new reality 4 years down the road, Beverly created a way to explain away any inconsistencies they Kay see between real life and the br reality. She needs them to solve some problem that would be hard to explain in reality, but by introducing all the changes to their life, She both threw them off balance and trained them to expect that there will be changes to their lives that seem incongruous with what they knew

She basically introduced them to a world where the problem will be slipped into reality and wont seem as abnormal. In fact, she inserted AI versions of the crew's loved ones will act differently than normal without raising their suspicion.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

They've rebooted this show so many times that I think it's running on Microsoft Windows.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
zuko3984

The thing that bothered me while i was watching the episode was that no one seemed to be really concerned with why the ship launched on it's own and what happened to the crew and where they were for 4 years. They didn't seem to be doing much of an investigation or anything and it was just like ok your back and just try to slip back into your life.
Even once the twist was revealed it was still odd that none of the crew seemed to be very interested in what happened to them and why 4 years had passed.

zuko3984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm not sure I like the mind control angle but I'll let them tell their story.

I don't normally like kids on my tv shows but Jenna was cute. Just don't over do her.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
eddyj

Ad me to the "this made no sense at all" crowd. But I'll give them a couple of episodes to get back on track. Now, if they spend the whole season in mind control, I am going to be very disappointed.

Also, Beverly's people seem to have technologies more advanced than GD. Not sure why they need the GD people at all.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Ad me to the "this made no sense at all" crowd. But I'll give them a couple of episodes to get back on track. Now, if they spend the whole season in mind control, I am going to be very disappointed.

Also, Beverly's people seem to have technologies more advanced than GD. Not sure why they need the GD people at all.
I started to agree with you and then thought, it may seem they are more advanced, but really they are just being open about using technology that GD wouldn't use because of government regulations and more importantly, the ethics and morals behind using something like that.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And maybe they just have one cool trick that they're trying leverage...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I will say, I watched this again last night and it was sad to see Carter not really happy and there not be an 'aha' moment where he stumbles thru what to do to solve the problem or asks "and that means what?" after Henry or Alison explain stuff and not have him tell Sarah to get him a beer. His Jeep did get smushed though. That's something.

Jenna is adorable.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
Shakhari

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
They've rebooted this show so many times that I think it's running on Microsoft Windows.
Yes, and it's especially annoying this time around because I suspect Beverly and her people are trying to reset it back to the way it was before they changed the timeline in WWII.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #26
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
...It would make more sense if she has a specific problem that needs creative genius to be solved, and Beverley is going to use their minds to solve the problem.
I can see this, BUT the flaw in this is self evident, given the situation they are in. She gives them some real problem that she needs their creative intellect to solve. They work on it, and given the scope of such any problem complex enough to require the entire steal-the-ship-and-crew scheme, they will run experiemnts as steps to the solution. Those experiments are not run in reality, but in simulation, so their outcome isn't REAL, and any conclusions based on a neuro-simulation are completely untrustworthy. The only possibe work-around to this is if they can monitor the people closely enough for Bev's guys to run the experiments in reality that the crew run in simuation, and insert the real results back into the simulation.

That seems like a lot of work. Solving the problem itself would be a lt of work too, so why not do that, and not bother kidnapping the crew? Are they THAT irreplaceable?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Solving the problem itself would be a lt of work too, so why not do that, and not bother kidnapping the crew? Are they THAT irreplaceable?
One of the main points of the show is that Eureka and GD has the best of the best -- the world's greatest geniuses. Yes, they are irreplaceable.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Church AV Guy

Well, Beverly has technical people smart enough to divert the Astreaus, kidnap the crew, and build that massive neuro-simulator. They seem awfully capable.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
That because the whole Astreaus thing is a simulation from the start.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Hate...Hate....Hated this episode. "Dallas" revisited....I'll give it one more ep before I cancel the SP. What a cop out by the writers....absolutely horrible.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote