TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
mm2margaret
Meagan

The Killing | "Oji Gun" | Season 2 Ep 4 | 4-15-12

Not sure how I felt about this episode. It felt much more like a setup episode than any of the others this season. Not quite as intense either.

Still better than last season. I just wanted it to move more. For instance, in the previews for the next ep, Richmond finally gets a clue about who set him up. I just wish that had happened and was more developed in this episode. That has great potential as a sub-plot.

Still some nice (though difficult) scenes, in particular the one in which he ends up on the floor. I've seen that happen to some folks that needed help into a wheel chair, and his reactions as the character were great.

We got a bit of Linden's backstory, which was interesting, but I'm not sure how much that moved the story along.

I'd give the episode a B-.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Slow as usual. I didn't watch the previews, but I don't really care about Richmond at this point. He's not the killer, be done with him. And I don't really care about a custody battle over Jack. I wish they would dump these story lines and focus on, well, the killing.

At least we might know now who killed Rosie and why. Didn't Rosie's dad see the photo of her body in the trunk? How could he not recognize the scene from when he killed the mob guy?
mike_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
sieglinde

I think the backstory on Jack is so that Lindon (or whatever her name is) would have even more stress in her life.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
mm2margaret
Meagan

Here's what I think the Killing is all about, and what it's not about.

The Killing, I think, is not so much about the killing of Rosie, so much as it is really about all the collateral damage that the killing of Rosie causes. Damage to the family, damage to the mother, damage to the father, damage to Richmond, damage to Linden. From that one death each life that touches that death experiences ripples of darkness, and unpleasant disruption to their lives.

The problem with this approach is that first, it really doesn't fit American audiences that well. We're used to quick resolutions, and our episodic tv show that. Second, and much more importantly, it takes a lot subtlety and skill in writing, direction and acting to pull that approach off.

For me, I think the approach has value, but as I said or implied earlier, it's a much more difficult approach to take. When the show smolders and is at a near boil, like it was in episodes 1-3 of this season, it's great. But when it's off, just even a little bit, to me it seems slow, and somewhat directionless.

It's still much better than it was last year. This episode wasn't as good as the previous three, but it's still worth watching.

Last edited by mm2margaret : 04-16-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I thought this ep rocked...several storylines moving forward, but, yet many questions still to be answered.

One example of how great this show is -- early on, Richmond turns his head and you see no tears, but a streak where there had been some tears. Some of the best TV right now.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
mm2margaret
Meagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I thought this ep rocked...several storylines moving forward, but, yet many questions still to be answered.

One example of how great this show is -- early on, Richmond turns his head and you see no tears, but a streak where there had been some tears. Some of the best TV right now.
Don't get me wrong. I like the show. I just thought this episode wasn't quite as intense (and thereby satisfying) as episode three.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

This episode made me finally give up. I deleted the ep about ten minutes in and killed the SP. The scene where the older kid locked the younger one in the trunk and the aunt pushed him and the kids yelling that they hate each other, that was it for me. This followed Linden being pissy at Holder. This show has the most miserable people I've ever seen. Episode after episode. If I wanted unrelenting misery, I'd watch an hour of those late night commercials with abused animals and starving foreign kids. I tried, The Killing. I did, but it's you, not me.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
stellie93

Linden deserves to lose her kid. She's a terrible mother. At least from what we see--she never spends any time with him.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Who was the guy that Mitch's sister called up then quickly hung up on? Are we supposed to know who that is, yet?
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Linden deserves to lose her kid. She's a terrible mother.
I think that might have finally hit home when Holder made the comment about her getting "Jack's dinner" from the vending machine at juvie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
tiams

This episode's ending fell back on a bad habit from season one. One thing we can be sure of, Alexi Giffords did NOT kill Rosie.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Linden deserves to lose her kid. She's a terrible mother. At least from what we see--she never spends any time with him.
Well, she never really learned how to be a good mother. Being bounced around foster care her entire life wasn't a great foundation. I think she is doing the best she can - her problem is that she needs help and won't accept any. She came close when she was engaged last season, but she destroyed that relationship. I don't think she knows how to be happy, or thinks she deserves to be happy.

And at least she didn't abandon the kid for years like his father did. There is something to be said for being present.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

One thing I did like was Stanley telling his kid to not back down and hit the biggest kid.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
One thing I did like was Stanley telling his kid to not back down and hit the biggest kid.
Of course you didn't like it. A TV show in the standard mold wouldn't do that but this show breaks the mold.

XL4
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
john4200

What is this? Opposite day? That is the second post I have seen tonight where the person quoted someone and then responded as if they said the opposite.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Of course you didn't like it. A TV show in the standard mold wouldn't do that but this show breaks the mold.
Um - he said he DID like it.

I liked it, too.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Maybe Bierboy died and went to...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Pay no attention to me; I'm running on fumes...too many late night hockey playoff games...

XL4
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
sieglinde

LOL.

I like the point about the collateral damage from the killing.