GBK33

Bought it with upgraded drive
GBK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #422
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBK33 View Post
Bought it with upgraded drive
And the weaknees warranty is already expired?

Ouch.

Seems like they'd offer to do something for you, even if it's just a good price on a pre-imaged drive replacement.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #423
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Just looking at some options.

If wanted to move a 1 TB drive from a TiVoHD to a Premiere, both active. with matching Season Passes.

I would just take out drives from the TiVoHD and Premiere and use the jmfs CD to Copy the Premiere to the 1TB Drive?
Then I could take my TiVoHD Image I have and use winMFS to apply it to the stock 320GB drive from the Premiere, which I would want to do a C&DE?

I thought about taking out a 1 TB drive from a WD Mybook and replace it with the Premiere drive. I need to look into this, just a thought right now.

Find a HD for the TiVo, 1TB (WD10EARX)@$99 or 2TB @$119 or for the Mybook 350-500GB.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 04-18-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #424
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Well I just won a auction for a used 1TB WD20EARS for $75. I might upgrade 2 of my Premieres to 1 Tb so the TiVoHD downgrade may happen.

$75 sounds like a Ok deal, I do have a 1 wk return period to test the HD out.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #425
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
Well I just won a auction for a used 1TB WD20EARS for $75. I might upgrade 2 of my Premieres to 1 Tb so the TiVoHD downgrade may happen.

$75 sounds like a Ok deal, I do have a 1 wk return period to test the HD out.
Are you sure it is 1TB? A WD20EARS is a 2TB drive and, even with current drive prices, $75 for a used WD10EARS (the 1TB model) is high.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #426
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

That was a typo it was a WD10EADS. The other WD20EARS is another I'm looking at.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #427
unitron

Quote:
Just looking at some options.

If wanted to move a 1 TB drive from a TiVoHD to a Premiere, both active. with matching Season Passes.

I would just take out drives from the TiVoHD and Premiere and use the jmfs CD to Copy the Premiere to the 1TB Drive?
Then I could take my TiVoHD Image I have and use winMFS to apply it to the stock 320GB drive from the Premiere, which I would want to do a C&DE?

I thought about taking out a 1 TB drive from a WD Mybook and replace it with the Premiere drive. I need to look into this, just a thought right now.

Find a HD for the TiVo, 1TB (WD10EARX)@$99 or 2TB @$119 or for the Mybook 350-500GB.
Allow me to advise against overwriting the original Premiere drive, since the only image for a Premiere is the original drive. You can't use MFS Live or WinMFS to make a truncated image the way you can with S3s and older.

I know all about trying to do with more with less, money wise, but beware of being what they call being penny wise and pound foolish.

Most any SATA drive 160GB or larger can be used in the S3 HD (if you mean a TCD652160)

(If you mean a TCD648250, the original S3, then of course you need a SATA drive 250GB or larger)

If you have a spare large enough PATA/IDE drive and adapter, you could experiment and report back.

I suspect you'd need an adapter with a Marvell or JMicron chipset, but I've only done it the other way round so far.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #428
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Allow me to advise against overwriting the original Premiere drive, since the only image for a Premiere is the original drive. You can't use MFS Live or WinMFS to make a truncated image the way you can with S3s and older.

I know all about trying to do with more with less, money wise, but beware of being what they call being penny wise and pound foolish.

Most any SATA drive 160GB or larger can be used in the S3 HD (if you mean a TCD652160)

(If you mean a TCD648250, the original S3, then of course you need a SATA drive 250GB or larger)

If you have a spare large enough PATA/IDE drive and adapter, you could experiment and report back.

I suspect you'd need an adapter with a Marvell or JMicron chipset, but I've only done it the other way round so far.
Thank you for the advice!!

I have 3 premieres, from which I believe can be used to make an image for a new Hard Drive for any of them?

The S3 is a 652160.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #429
unitron

Quote:
Thank you for the advice!!

I have 3 premieres, from which I believe can be used to make an image for a new Hard Drive for any of them?

The S3 is a 652160.
So if you have 2 working Premieres and one sick one do you want to have to temporarily disable a second one instead of just pulling a drive off of the shelf?

Up to you, of course, just try to forsee what you might be facing.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #430
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So if you have 2 working Premieres and one sick one do you want to have to temporarily disable a second one instead of just pulling a drive off of the shelf?

Up to you, of course, just try to forsee what you might be facing.
I see your point.

Wish I could just C&DE on the original hard drive after the upgrade then use a 40 or 80GB drive has the backup drive.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #431
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Last night it hit me, I'm looking to upgrade 2 premieres...

If I upgrade 1 with the new TB drive. I can then us that premieres drive when done, to upgrade the other series4 with the 1 TB from the series3. Then use the 652160 TBK on the 320 GB drive from the second premiere to install in to the series3, which will give my 1 original Premiere drive.

To make it go faster,I do have a USB to SATA adapter (Laptop) for the Series 3 upgrade/downsize, along with the desktop to do the 2nd Premiere upgrade.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #432
unitron

Quote:
Last night it hit me, I'm looking to upgrade 2 premieres...

If I upgrade 1 with the new TB drive. I can then us that premieres drive when done, to upgrade the other series4 with the 1 TB from the series3. Then use the 652160 TBK on the 320 GB drive from the second premiere to install in to the series3, which will give my 1 original Premiere drive.

To make it go faster,I do have a USB to SATA adapter (Laptop) for the Series 3 upgrade/downsize, along with the desktop to do the 2nd Premiere upgrade.

I still suggest setting aside the original drive of whichever TiVo(s) you're going to upgrade and purchase extra drives as needed.

That way you have an instant troubleshooting tool.

But I wish you success however you approach the project.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #433
muerte33

I thought I would throw in a thank-you to all the JMFS and WINMFS developers/supporters. These instructions worked great.
My Tivo HD drive died, so I could not back it up and restore it, but I had done an upgrade to another Tivo HD in early March, so I used that old 160gb drive to restore via JMFS. I then used the WINMFS to supersize, and now I have over 311 hours of HD using a WD20EARS drive. I never could adjust the acoustics on it, but it is so quiet, it does not matter. The idle setting change was very easy using that WD utility.

One thing to remember for people that restore another Tivo backup is you need to go through the complete erase/delete (make it like a new "out of the box" Tivo).
I never could get the Tivo Service number to show up until I did a complete erase.
It showed up with all zeros instead of my real Service number (a lifetime subscription).
I even tried forcing updates and rebooting.
It says on the screen it could take up to an hour, but I watched it for 2+ hours, and then went to sleep. The next day it was ready for guided setup.
I then had to deal with Comcast and the cable cards (thanks for that Comcast cable card hotline# 877-405-2298 by the way). It only took two twenty minute sessions for them to get all my paid channels back! They are getting much better at this!
I then had to put all my season passes back.
It would be nice if Tivo had a way to backup the old Tivo HD season pass settings to our account. I know KMTTG has some good stuff for the Tivo Premier and Elite, but there is not much for the Tivo HD. I guess we will never see any features added, like Xfinity on demand. I went ahead and ordered a Tivo Elite for $390 from Weeknees (off Amazon) just for this purpose. I hope all goes well in the San Francisco Bay area with this On Demand testing, because this is the feature I have been waiting for!

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #434
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
It would be nice if Tivo had a way to backup the old Tivo HD season pass settings to our account. I know KMTTG has some good stuff for the Tivo Premier and Elite, but there is not much for the Tivo HD.
Have you looked at the Season Pass Manager at tivo.com?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #435
muerte33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Have you looked at the Season Pass Manager at tivo.com?
I saw that early on when it first came out, but I still don't think it allows you to save all your season passes to a restorable "file".
You can dump them from one tivo to another.
If they made it to where it was backed up periodically (like when you connect to do your program update), that would be great.
Either way, I think I have them all entered back in, either as a season pass, or a wish list (because the program has no current shows scheduled).
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #436
audiodane

Hello again.. I thought I'd try and re-phrase my questions in hopes to get a more clear answer:
  • What is a swap partition used for?
  • Why is a larger swap partition desirable?
  • If Tivo themselves cannot enlarge a swap partition, then why is it recommended to expand the swap partition when upgrading drives?
  • If going down the ready-to-go drive route (like "DVR_DUDE" on ebay), are there any particular questions that I should definitely ask (e.g. partition structure, etc) before purchasing? I figure if they warantee it long enough for me to boot my Tivo, I'm good. Unless someone foresees other realms of possibility that I might want to protect myself against?

thanks so much,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #437
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Hello again.. I thought I'd try and re-phrase my questions in hopes to get a more clear answer:
  • What is a swap partition used for?
  • Why is a larger swap partition desirable?
  • If Tivo themselves cannot enlarge a swap partition, then why is it recommended to expand the swap partition when upgrading drives?
  • If going down the ready-to-go drive route (like "DVR_DUDE" on ebay), are there any particular questions that I should definitely ask (e.g. partition structure, etc) before purchasing? I figure if they warantee it long enough for me to boot my Tivo, I'm good. Unless someone foresees other realms of possibility that I might want to protect myself against?

thanks so much,
..dane
Forget the swap partition, it ok at the 128Mb, if you use DVR_DUDE, just purchase from that person as they have a good reputation and you will have no problems, one person that had a problem with this purchase was giver a replacement drive and DVR_DUDE paid shipping both ways, can't ask for much more.
If you want to do this yourself just use the JMFS software, works great!!

Your over analyzing this too much.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #438
Soapm

Some people feel a larger swap partition is like adding more memory and a larger buffer for live recording. I'm with lessd and think my Tivo works just fine with the stock swap partition. I've increased it with some of my installs but never saw any difference that I remembered.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #439
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Forget the swap partition, it ok at the 128Mb, if you use DVR_DUDE, just purchase from that person as they have a good reputation and you will have no problems, one person that had a problem with this purchase was giver a replacement drive and DVR_DUDE paid shipping both ways, can't ask for much more.
If you want to do this yourself just use the JMFS software, works great!!

Your over analyzing this too much.
haha, tru'dat. It's been a few years since I've done an upgrade, and I've never heard of JMFS before a few weeks ago, and was trying to catch myself up. Mainly I didn't want to buy a ready-to-go drive and have to go back in at some future point and redo it manually anyway, is the only reason I was asking the questions that I did. The answers given are music to my ears. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Some people feel a larger swap partition is like adding more memory and a larger buffer for live recording. I'm with lessd and think my Tivo works just fine with the stock swap partition. I've increased it with some of my installs but never saw any difference that I remembered.
Awesome. Exactly the type of information I was looking for. I figured that if Tivo themselves needed more swap space, it would have been done already and/or automatically (and future hardware may very do so).

Thanks to you both for quick answers.

..dane
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #440
audiodane

I ended up having some time off when my wife had knee surgery, so I got a bare drive and followed the instructions from this thread and successfully got it to 2TB. Thanks everyone!

Oddly, I cannot seem to get it to see my clear qam digital channels 901-905 (knology, huntsville, al). I run guided setup and select "use digital lineup, will get cablecards later" and the lineup is correct, but nothing comes through 901-905. My S3 in the family room and my dad's TivoHD both accomplished the desired effect just from doing that very task- instructing the tivo to use the digital lineup. All the OTHER digital channels are on the xx-yyy style channels and I would in fact need a CC to map them properly. But 901-905 are actually mapped to 901-905, however I cannot see them. The tivo says "searching for singnal on cable in."

Interestingly, when I go to settings->channels->signal strength, tivo says that signal strength is unavailable because I have no digital channels in my lineup. I just told it to use the digital lineup-- AND I can see the guide data for those channels!

..dane
Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #441
lessd

Quote:
I ended up having some time off when my wife had knee surgery, so I got a bare drive and followed the instructions from this thread and successfully got it to 2TB. Thanks everyone!

Oddly, I cannot seem to get it to see my clear qam digital channels 901-905 (knology, huntsville, al). I run guided setup and select "use digital lineup, will get cablecards later" and the lineup is correct, but nothing comes through 901-905. My S3 in the family room and my dad's TivoHD both accomplished the desired effect just from doing that very task- instructing the tivo to use the digital lineup. All the OTHER digital channels are on the xx-yyy style channels and I would in fact need a CC to map them properly. But 901-905 are actually mapped to 901-905, however I cannot see them. The tivo says "searching for singnal on cable in."

Interestingly, when I go to settings->channels->signal strength, tivo says that signal strength is unavailable because I have no digital channels in my lineup. I just told it to use the digital lineup-- AND I can see the guide data for those channels!

..dane
When you tell TiVo you will use a cable card later you will not get any digital channels (until you install the cable card), if you tell TiVo that you are not going to use a cable card than scan for digital channels you will get the clear digital channels, but the numbers will not necessarily be the same as your cable co.s number, and for sure each digital channel will be in the format XXXX.YYY, for me, as example, NBC is 30.1, with a cable card the channel is 232.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #442
audiodane

Quote:
When you tell TiVo you will use a cable card later you will not get any digital channels (until you install the cable card), if you tell TiVo that you are not going to use a cable card than scan for digital channels you will get the clear digital channels, but the numbers will not necessarily be the same as your cable co.s number, and for sure each digital channel will be in the format XXXX.YYY, for me, as example, NBC is 30.1, with a cable card the channel is 232.
My S3 had attempted to have a cablecard for a month previously but they wanted waaaay too much money, so I took it out and re-ran guided setup. My dad's tivoHD however, never once had a single cablecard installed, which is how I know the concept works properly. Both with my S3 and my dad's TivoHD, we told our Tivo to use the digital lineup, and could receive the 901-905 clear-qam channels straightaway (and still can to this day). All the OTHER digital channels, you're right, xx-yyy map to zzz. Within Knology here in town, however, 901-905 are in fact mapped as 901-905.

Over the weekend I will probably do an image of my dad's TivoHD HDD (we're in the same zip code and with the same cable provider) and see if that is a workable solution for me. A bit more work, but if it works, it's worth it. I'm not looking for free digital cable. I'm just looking to get the free digital channels that I'm SUPPOSED to get (nbc, cbs, etc) even with my analog cable package.

..dane
Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #443
lessd

Quote:
My S3 had attempted to have a cablecard for a month previously but they wanted waaaay too much money, so I took it out and re-ran guided setup. My dad's tivoHD however, never once had a single cablecard installed, which is how I know the concept works properly. Both with my S3 and my dad's TivoHD, we told our Tivo to use the digital lineup, and could receive the 901-905 clear-qam channels straightaway (and still can to this day). All the OTHER digital channels, you're right, xx-yyy map to zzz. Within Knology here in town, however, 901-905 are in fact mapped as 901-905.

Over the weekend I will probably do an image of my dad's TivoHD HDD (we're in the same zip code and with the same cable provider) and see if that is a workable solution for me. A bit more work, but if it works, it's worth it. I'm not looking for free digital cable. I'm just looking to get the free digital channels that I'm SUPPOSED to get (nbc, cbs, etc) even with my analog cable package.

..dane
If the channels are numbers without a .xxx after the number for all cable systems I have heard of that would be an analog channel, but then i not an expert on this nations cable systems, if somebody knows of clear QAM-HD channels with whole numbers, let us know.
You can't move a drive from one TiVo to another without doing a clear and delete all so what your trying to do with your dads TiVo will not help you.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #444
audiodane

Quote:
If the channels are numbers without a .xxx after the number for all cable systems I have heard of that would be an analog channel, but then i not an expert on this nations cable systems, if somebody knows of clear QAM-HD channels with whole numbers, let us know.
Maybe they are analog? I don't know ALL the details of how all this stuff works. I just know that even my TV finds the channels 901-905 on a Channel Scan, and they're 720p/1080i/whatever the show is broadcast in OTA.....

Quote:
You can't move a drive from one TiVo to another without doing a clear and delete all so what your trying to do with your dads TiVo will not help you.
Really? Can you tell me more about that? Why not? They're both TivoHD's- how else to people share Tivo images? He's in the same zip code and the same cable provider- he might as well have his tivo in my house already! It just has a different mac address and different account. Is that the hiccup? What will happen if I try to bit-copy his drive to mine and boot mine with a bit-copy of his drive?

I was planning on doing that this coming Saturday. i would like to know more details on what to expect. I certainly don't want to waste my time, but "if there's a chance," then it seems to be one of my only ones at this point.

thanks!
..dane
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #445
lessd

Quote:
Really? Can you tell me more about that? Why not? They're both TivoHD's- how else to people share Tivo images? He's in the same zip code and the same cable provider- he might as well have his tivo in my house already! It just has a different mac address and different account. Is that the hiccup? What will happen if I try to bit-copy his drive to mine and boot mine with a bit-copy of his drive?

I was planning on doing that this coming Saturday. i would like to know more details on what to expect. I certainly don't want to waste my time, but "if there's a chance," then it seems to be one of my only ones at this point.

thanks!
..dane
Each TiVo has a code based on the TSN so that one can't move drives from one TiVo to another and watch any program recorded on the other TiVo. This has been true from the start of TiVo so the networks did not take TiVo to court for copyright problems (there may have been other reasons for this type of design). When one moves a TiVo drive one must do a clear and delete all for the drive to work in the new TiVo. You will waste your time changing drives, you could bring your TiVo to your dad home and try to get the channels on your TiVo, there may be some difference in the cable xmission from your home to your dad home even if you are in the same zip.

You can get software to get programs off your TiVo to your computer, than you could do what you wanted with that program.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #446
Guy Kuo

Partions larger than 1TB are OK now?

Going from an 160 gb drive directly to 2TB via jmfs doing the expansion creates a 1.7 tb partition. Do we now have evidence that the current TiVo 11.0K software deals with such larger partitions?

If so, why no simply let winMFS create a big partition while restoring from a truncated backup? You still end up with a 1.7 TB partition and the TiVo reports 318 hours of capacity.

However, has anyone filled their 2TB TiVoHD's past the 1 TB size "limit" and still been stable?

If not, then the intermediate 1TB winMFS then 2TB jmfs route would seem the way to avoid having partitions larger than the feared 1TB limit that was in the TiVo kernel.

"... signed int sector numbers in the tivo ide-disk.c driver that limits partition sizes to 1TiB"

Early success reports are expected, but how is everyone doing after their drives are full?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #447
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post
Going from an 160 gb drive directly to 2TB via jmfs doing the expansion creates a 1.7 tb partition. Do we now have evidence that the current TiVo 11.0K software deals with such larger partitions?

If so, why no simply let winMFS create a big partition while restoring from a truncated backup? You still end up with a 1.7 TB partition and the TiVo reports 318 hours of capacity.

However, has anyone filled their 2TB TiVoHD's past the 1 TB size "limit" and still been stable?

If not, then the intermediate 1TB winMFS then 2TB jmfs route would seem the way to avoid having partitions larger than the feared 1TB limit that was in the TiVo kernel.

"... signed int sector numbers in the tivo ide-disk.c driver that limits partition sizes to 1TiB"

Early success reports are expected, but how is everyone doing after their drives are full?
All I know is that using a 1TB drive as a middleman is working in my S3 HD just fine.

The trick, of course, is having a 1TB drive on hand that you can temporarily use.

I ran across somebody else's posts that suggested creating a virtual hard drive (obviously on a larger hard drive, I would assume) to serve as middleman, but that's beyond my current knowledge and abilities.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #448
Guy Kuo

I'm following your technique right now..... waiting for the 1TB to 2TB jmfs copy to complete.

I think your method of avoiding a greater than 1 TB partition is the wisest choice, instead of that which is proposed in the first post of this thread.

Like I said, if that was actually safe, there would be no need for jmfs at all. You would simply let winMFS expand a truncated image and let it create the larger than 1 tb partition (plus associate app partition).

The point is, I don't think that is stable once the TiVoHD fills that overly large partition. That is unless, the TiVo 11.OK software has an undiscovered fix for its device driver. The info available on the web is years out of date.

I don't have the patience to wait several weeks with a big 1.7 TB partition only to have my TiVOHD go unstable and overwrite recordings / crash.

Your 2 stage method is what I'm betting on.

Last edited by Guy Kuo : 06-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Guy Kuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #449
steve614
what ru lookin at?

JMFS was designed for the Premiere.
We got lucky in that it allowed a 2TB hard drive to be recognized in a TivoHD, otherwise we would be limited to 1.26TB (IIRC) using WinMFS.

I upgraded an original TivoHD hard drive as per the OP. My upgraded hard drive is full and I am not experiencing any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #450
Guy Kuo

The unique advantage of jmfs is that it can add a single partition when winmfs can only add pairs of partitions. winmfs's beta9_3f all by itself can restore a stock TivoHD truncated backup to fill a 2 TB drive and remain within the 16 partition limit. You simply answer no when it ask whether you want to limit the media partition size to 1 TB.

The problems with using winmfs by itself are....

1. The added media partition is well above the 1 tebibyte "limit" that the deep TiVo hackers have documented in the device driver. (Those guys even have a special patched kernel that fixes the limit. So, yes I believe there is/was such a limit)

jmfs expansion of a stock 160 GB (with the current 11.0K tivo software) shares the big partition problem. jmfs creates a single, huge media partition if one uses it with an original 160 GB TiVoHD drive. So, in this regard one could use either tool to go to directly to a 2 TB drive because both create a oversized media partition.

If the signed 32 bit integer limit still exists in the 11.0K kernel's disc device driver, then after several weeks of recording normally, the system could become unstable. However, the most recent info I could find regarding the existence of this 1TB partition limit is very old. TiVo MAY have fixed this limit in the current kernel. That would be fantastic and make both winmfs and jmfs suitable for creating a 2 TB drive.

Your reporting a stable machine after it fills suggests that this might have been fixed. We just don't have corroboration from the hackers that indeed the driver has been fixed. Instead, I find many many references to the limit being inherently in the 11.0C and earlier kernels.

Of concern if this was NOT fixed in the TiVO kernel, it would take several weeks of operation before later recordings begin overwriting the content of earlier recordings. The machine may or may not crash. One might get silently corruption of earlier recordings. Titles would look okay in the Now Playing list, but during playback the overwritten content would give you a nasty surprise.

Failure due to this issue would take a LONG time to surface. Things could seem ok for a long time before instability and media corruption surface.

2. winmfs may leave an extra "apple free" partition at the end that the Tivo software would interpret as a problem external drive that needs to be removed. Adjusting the swap size during winmfs restore may allow one to avoid this extra space.

If one uses winmfs to restore to an intermedia 1 TB drive with swap set to a size that avoids creating the extra 16 "apple free" partition, the resultant 1 TB drive would have 15 partition all below 1 TB. Use of jmfs going from that 1 TB drive to a 2 TB drive would add a single media partition 16 that is also below the 1 TB limit.

A swap size of 1024 during winmfs restore let me avoid the "apple free" partition and create such an intermediate 1 TB drive for use with jmfs. The result gives you a 2 TB TiVoHD drive that does not violate the 1 TB partition limit.

Since we do not have definitive hacker confirmation that TiVo's own kernel has implemented a fix for the former 1 TB partition size limit, this two stage, method using an intermediate 1 TB drive is the most conservative route. Once can avoid testing the issue with valuable recordings, by making sure by adding two sub 1TB media partitions instead of letting jmfs or winmfs create a single huge partition.

One very important aspect of jmfs is that it adds a SINGLE partition. So, it can be used AFTER winfms has created the 15 partition 1TB source drive. jmfs adds one sub TB size partition to create a 2TB drive from a 16 partition winmfs created 1TB drive. You can't use winmfs twice in a row because it would add a pair and exceed the 16 partition limit.

In summary, if the 1 TB partition size limit has been lifted by TiVo fixing their device driver in software 11.0K, then both winmfs or jmfs create a 2 TB drive that TiVO happily reports as a 318 hours HD capacity. We just don't have solid stability evidence from the hackers.

If the limit still exists, then only Unitron's, two stage method of using winMFS to do an expansion to an intermediate 1 TB drive then further expanding via jmfs will create a 2TB drive that respects that limit.

I suspect that TiVo has silently fixed their driver since we don't hear of machines having problems after months of operation. (Also seems it was fixed on the Premiere since the non XL jmfs expanded machine would also risk the greater than 1 TB partition issue)

I hate to lose recordings so I'm staying under that limit with my TiVoHD and Premieres.

Last edited by Guy Kuo : 06-06-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Guy Kuo is offline   Reply With Quote