TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #241
gconnery

Cool Not in Petaluma (yet)

When I check my location on the Tivo page using my zip code (94952):

http://www3.tivo.com/products/source...ast/index.html

It says what I'd expect:

"Congratulations! XFINITY® On Demand will become available over the next few weeks on TiVo Premiere DVRs in your ZIP code."

However, despite forced connections 3 or more times and as many reboots, my Elite hasn't received the update yet. Guess I just have to wait...
gconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #242
pacifent

Hello folks,
I am a comcast employee and want to advise you that the only cities in the first phase of the vod launch in the bay area are Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Milpitas,
Monterey, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, and Sunnyvale....others will be added later this month!
pacifent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #243
rbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifent View Post
Hello folks,
I am a comcast employee and want to advise you that the only cities in the first phase of the vod launch in the bay area are Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Milpitas,
Monterey, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, and Sunnyvale....others will be added later this month!
When will you get to Marin County, specifically Novato?
rbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #244
pacifent

Unfortunately, all other cities are to be announced later...I live in Fairfield and I am anxiously awaiting word of when MY family can get it....and I WORK for the company! I'll keep this thread posted as I get word.....
Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #245
rbro

Quote:
Unfortunately, all other cities are to be announced later...I live in Fairfield and I am anxiously awaiting word of when MY family can get it....and I WORK for the company! I'll keep this thread posted as I get word.....
But safe to say some time this month? Or within the next few months at least?
rbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #246
pacifent

Hopefully...I'm in the same boat...North Bay is always the last to get anything unfortunately.....
Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #247
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
...all of the On Demand stuff, including the pay and "naughty" and local content, seems to be there...

Is there PPV new release movies? How much are they for HD?
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #248
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hopefully...I'm in the same boat...North Bay is always the last to get anything unfortunately.....
Those of us not in the bay area are all broken up about your situation.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #249
pacifent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Those of us not in the bay area are all broken up about your situation.
I know, I know
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #250
Innerloop

Quote:
Hello folks,
Why such a slow roll-out? Is there some fear that a deluge of activity from Tivo users will somehow swamp the system? Aren't Tivo customers like 2% of the total?

I was excited to be in the initial roll-out here, only to find out, I'm not (quite)!
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #251
gconnery

Thumbs up Thanks pacifent!

Appreciate the heads up. Otherwise I would have been rebooting my Tivo's somewhat pointlessly every so often. Perfectly happy to wait a few weeks.
gconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #252
rick123

Yes, I am in southern NH and am also curious as to why the staggered rollout? Is it a technical reason or is it just being careful to make sure it actually works or something else?

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #253
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It's all up to Comcast because Tivo chose to get the VOD via QAM (like the Comcast STBs do). If they had gone with the Xbox VOD model with delivery over IP, they could've rolled it out nationwide. Comcast apparently has to enable it in every market/headend, so who knows when a given area will get it. They're saying some time this year, but it's Comcast so could be 2013 before you get it.

The other problem with this way is that it ties up a tuner every time you watch VOD, which can be problematic if your Tivo often records on both tuners. That wouldn't be an issue with IP VOD.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #254
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It's all up to Comcast because Tivo chose to get the VOD via QAM (like the Comcast STBs do). If they had gone with the Xbox VOD model with delivery over IP, they could've rolled it out nationwide. Comcast apparently has to enable it in every market/headend, so who knows when a given area will get it. They're saying some time this year, but it's Comcast so could be 2013 before you get it.

The other problem with this way is that it ties up a tuner every time you watch VOD, which can be problematic if your Tivo often records on both tuners. That wouldn't be an issue with IP VOD.

There is a big problem with the Xbox 360 IP onDemand:

To use the service you have to subscribe to both Xfinity internet and TV on the SAME account.

I have business class and thats a separate department at xfinity. Unfortunately you can't have resident xfinity and business xfinity at the same address. This had never been a problem until now.

When the annouced that it didn't count against the residential caps I got worried, since it meant they had to update your modem to allow the traffic! They can't update my modem since it isnt on the exact same account as my TV subscription! The worst of it is there are bandwidth caps on business class so they whole we need to connect to your modem so it doesn't count towards your cap doesn't even apply to me!

I am sure a good number of TiVo subscribers don't bundle there TV & internet.

QAM = higher image quality and less strain on your available bandwidth.

The issues of tuners has always been on comcast boxes as well, at least now you could get an elite and record 3 things while watching onDemand if you wanted.

I also have heard the xbox 360 onDemand pic quality is sub par. One person said the HD stream looked as good as a mid quality netflix stream. Personally I don't know that its true but happy we will get the full stream via QAM.

Last edited by rhettf : 04-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #255
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

My Comcast system does not now use tuning adapters on their system for TiVos, will the OD on TiVo require a tuning adapter ?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #256
Blacknotice

Quote:
Hello folks,
So San Francisco is on the later end of that?
Blacknotice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #257
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
My Comcast system does not now use tuning adapters on their system for TiVos, will the OD on TiVo require a tuning adapter ?
No.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #258
fjork_duf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerz View Post
Also, I'm seeing the black bars mentioned here on the right and left side for HD content.
Black bars here too on the content. Anyone solve this issue yet?
fjork_duf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #259
jonbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbadown View Post
I am having this issue too. I received the update last night on both my Premieres and can access the XOD menus but when it comes to playing something, I get about a second of it playing then it just pauses and is stuck there. And for a few of the shows I get the V301 error message. Everything else for my Tivo and Network is working fine so I don't know what it could be. I guess a call to Customer Service is in order.
Did you get any resolution to this? I'm having the same trouble and the Comcast support person wasn't able to resolve it online.
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #260
smarthur

I live in San Jose, CA 95110. The Xfinity On Demand icon appeared Saturday afternoon 4-14, I can see the folders and program listings but when I go to play a show I get a gray screen saying to contact my cable provider to activate service.

I contacted Comcast they "sent a signal to the cable card." But it does not fix the issue. I've also done a reboot twice. I know my area is the first market to get this new feature and I'm sure there will be hiccups. I just hope they get resolved quickly.

I'll update my post when it starts working.

UPDATE:

After visiting Tivo's support page for Xfinity On Demand I figured out that my Cable Card was not paired.

Calling Comcast and giving them the Host ID and Data ID from the gray trouble screen allowed them to pair my cable card.

I'm now seeing the On Demand video.

Last edited by smarthur : 04-15-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Problem resolved
smarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #261
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
Black bars here too on the content. Anyone solve this issue yet?
Its not an issue, its how the content is stored on Comcast VOD servers. The comcast PVR puts out a overscaned image. On Tivo your actually seeing the completely picture, and by hitting wide zoom (so its proportional) you will have it working just like the Comcast PVR.

Another Solution is a iScan Duo. I have a iScan Duo which actually replaces the gray bar by using the CMS system to lay down a blacker than black video single where the pillars are on screen.

iScan Duo = video quality nirvana http://www.dvdo.com/iScanDuo.aspx
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #262
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Its not an issue, its how the content is stored on Comcast VOD servers. The comcast PVR puts out a overscaned image. On Tivo your actually seeing the completely picture, and by hitting wide zoom (so its proportional) you will have it working just like the Comcast PVR.
Does "zoom" mean anything with HD (16x9) content? I thought zoom only worked on SD (4x3) content.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #263
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
Does "zoom" mean anything with HD (16x9) content? I thought zoom only worked on SD (4x3) content.
Zoom only works on content "opposite" of what the output is set to. By that I mean that HD content will only "zoom" when outputting 480i/p and SD content will only "zoom" for HD content.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #264
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Zoom only works on content "opposite" of what the output is set to. By that I mean that HD content will only "zoom" when outputting 480i/p and SD content will only "zoom" for HD content.
On my Tivo HD, it seems like I can zoom SD content when I have the aspect ratio on the Tivo set to 16:9 and I can zoom HD content when I have the aspect ratio set to 4:3. I keep the output set to 1080i fixed all the time.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #265
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r

On my Tivo HD, it seems like I can zoom SD content when I have the aspect ratio on the Tivo set to 16:9 and I can zoom HD content when I have the aspect ratio set to 4:3. I keep the output set to 1080i fixed all the time.
That's probably more accurate than what I posted, though technically SD is 4:3 and HD is 16:9.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #266
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Which means that when you get an OnDemand show with that funky HD with the narrow side bars (not the wide ones you see for SD content), that you won't be able to do the overscan that the Comcast DVR does to fill a 16:9 screen, since you cannot zoom HD content when using 16:9 aspect ratio.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #267
jonbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
Did you get any resolution to this? I'm having the same trouble and the Comcast support person wasn't able to resolve it online.
So I got lucky and they had an appointment slot yesterday to send a tech to my house. 1.5 hours, replaced cable connectors and 2 new cablecards later we finally got On Demand working.

My best guess is that my cable card was not programmed right, and after the second swap, the last in-office tech contacted managed to set it up right.

But I'm going to need another truck roll, since now about a dozen of my channels (which have lower signal strength according to the TiVo) go flaky and pixelate in the evenings...
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #268
Dubbadown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
So I got lucky and they had an appointment slot yesterday to send a tech to my house. 1.5 hours, replaced cable connectors and 2 new cablecards later we finally got On Demand working.

My best guess is that my cable card was not programmed right, and after the second swap, the last in-office tech contacted managed to set it up right.

But I'm going to need another truck roll, since now about a dozen of my channels (which have lower signal strength according to the TiVo) go flaky and pixelate in the evenings...
Sorry, I just saw your posts. Yeah I was able to get my issue resolved with a call to Comcast. Like you said, when the cablecards were installed and paired they weren't set up for OnDemand so they were able to rezap them and reprogram them over the system and they started working.

I had some issues the other day when my Tivo spontaneously rebooted back to back times when I was trying to show off my On Demand, but other than that, its been working like a charm.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #269
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm in Cupertino and Xfinity On Demand IS showing up under my VOD menu. Problem is, all I can download are a bunch of "Welcome to Xfiinity On Demand" videos. When will I get to see the ACTUAL on demand content?

Is anyone else seeing ONLY welcome videos? Is there something else I need to do here? It's been like this for about 4 days now...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #270
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Which means that when you get an OnDemand show with that funky HD with the narrow side bars (not the wide ones you see for SD content), that you won't be able to do the overscan that the Comcast DVR does to fill a 16:9 screen, since you cannot zoom HD content when using 16:9 aspect ratio.
To get rid of side bars on HD content, I set the aspect ratio on the Tivo to 4:3 and zoom the picture.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote