Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #61
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I don't think driver's ed was required in the 60's, and even if it was, a big ad exec would go to a private school, not the local high school.
My interpretation is that this was the only sort of driving instruction Pete could find that was held in the evenings within walking distance of his home in Cos Cob -- it's possible that any private driving schools in the area were aimed at housewives and only offered daytime hours.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #62
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
When she responded with, "That's impossible," my first reaction was that she's been "fixed" because she never wants to have kids. That would be an interesting storyline for them to pursue.
I thought of a botched abortion leaving her sterile-it was the 60's after all... and so she found Don, who already had 3 kids and (so she figured) would not want any more...and she'd never have to explain herself...
Or maybe she's secretly taking birth control...?

And how many sofas had to die to make Don's sportcoat?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #63
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
My interpretation is that this was the only sort of driving instruction Pete could find that was held in the evenings within walking distance of his home in Cos Cob -- it's possible that any private driving schools in the area were aimed at housewives and only offered daytime hours.
I thought it might be a private class, just held in the school in the evenings. While the girl looked pretty young, her conversations did sound like she might have graduated H.S. We know one date during this episode was Aug 1, 1966, the date of the UT shootings. So it was summer vacation and both the girl and guy in the class were headed off to college soon.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #64
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I thought of a botched abortion leaving her sterile-it was the 60's after all... and so she found Don, who already had 3 kids and (so she figured) would not want any more...and she'd never have to explain herself...
Or maybe she's secretly taking birth control...?
I did get the vibe that she couldn't have kids. If she wants kids, Don's existing family worked for her. It's also likely that she and Don never talked about it before getting married as it seemed to happen so quickly. She might have thought it never would come up.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #65
mostman

I was literally on the floor laughing uncontrollably when Lane rolled up his sleeves and said the "we are going to address that insult" line. I think the episode was written superbly.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #66
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I did get the vibe that she couldn't have kids.
I did. Didn't she use the word "impossible"?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #67
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
........I wonder what SIGNAL 30 refers to...?
A traffic fatality, which is interesting since this episode revolved so much around Pete and Pete attending driving school. Of course, throughout the whole episode Pete's manhood died a humiliating death several times.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #68
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
...And how many sofas had to die to make Don's sportcoat?
Actually it came from the seat covers of a '57 Chevy...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #69
lpamelaa

I follow a fashion blog that always does a detailed fashion analysis of Mad Men episodes. I find their look at the details fascinating.

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/04...signal-30.html
Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #70
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
A traffic fatality, which is interesting since this episode revolved so much around Pete and Pete attending driving school. Of course, throughout the whole episode Pete's manhood died a humiliating death several times.
By the end of the episode, Pete's face looked like he had barely survived a car accident.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #71
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpamelaa View Post
I follow a fashion blog that always does a detailed fashion analysis of Mad Men episodes. I find their look at the details fascinating.

Great blog - thank you!

And I would kill for Megan's dinner party dress. LOVED it!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #72
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpamelaa View Post

Interesting read. I never would have associated so much meaning to colors and patterns in the clothing and accessories, or even the wallpaper or drapes. I chuckle at the old fashions, but the writers of that article apparently LIVE for these details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #73
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

That partner's meeting/fight is the funniest scene I have seen in ages. Everyone in there was spot-on perfect.

Damn I wish I had that sports coat Don was wearing to the Campbells.

We finally caught up to date with Mad Men, and I am so glad we did.
Some serious marathons over the last few week, but well worth it.
I am pleased that up-thread "The Wheel" was mentioned. There must have
been some serious dust in the room when we watched Don's presentation.
That scene and Don going home to an empty house more than anything
hooked me on the show.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #74
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
The only thing I'm really missing from Mad Men (last couple of seasons anyway) is the actual advertising. I loved how we saw initially, and through the move to SCDP, an insight into the time through the advertising. There was such a strong emphasis put on it in the beginning, and I really enjoyed that.

Nowadays we're lucky if we get a passing reference to a client in a hallway shot, or a 3 minute pitch to a client.
This is an interesting comment. I've heard others complain about the lack of focus on the advertising piece in season 5. I've watched all 4 seasons in the last two weeks or so and as far as I can tell we are getting the same mix as ever. During the earlier seasons I kept wondering when all this huge focus on the advertising and the pitches was going to start and it never did. It ebbs and flows in the show and some episodes it is heavier than others. I don't see any difference in the balance in season 5 than in earlier seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
the Scarlett Johannson doppelgänger.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that!

This episod was disappointing only because it shattered my denial about Pete. We hadn't seen him be a true cad and cheat on Trudy in quite a while. I could enjoy his office antics and not feel too guilty for enjoying him. Now I have to hate him again!

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote