Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Awake "That's Not My Penguin" OAD 4/5/12 S01E06

At the beginning of the episodes, I liked the parallels: the description of schizophrenia voiced by the red shrink while showing footage of the same behavior by Britten.

Interesting that he saw the penguin in both worlds. And that it "directed" him in green world.

I was surprised that Britten didn't have some way to signal to the outside that "there is a problem and don't shoot the guy".

I really hope next week they give us some more insight into what the hell is going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
JYoung
Series 3

At this point, I have no idea what is going on with the two realities.
But damn if it isn't interesting.

I did like that they showed him having problems keeping the details straight between both realities and I too thought that the contrast of Britton vs. the mental patient was interesting.

As was the fact that Dr. Lee in the facility was a hallucination.

It's a very interesting show and it's a shame it's doing so poorly in the ratings.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
tiams

As Britten was disoriented for a second when he handed Vega the box of evidence, so was I as a viewer. Nice touch.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
morac
Cat God

I just caught up and I though this was the best episode to date. It's a shame no one is still watching.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Church AV Guy

They have managed to make me MILDLY interested in the source of the two universes without that becoming the overwhelming aspect of the show. It makes it interesting to see how the wifeverse and the sonverse work together to help him with his cases. He knows this, and like us, he has no desire to see either of them disappear in a puff of psychological smoke. He is actually better with both of them active. It stays very interesting!

He figured out that his son stole the ring, but I don't know how. Intuition? He didn't know about his son's new girlfriend either. Hmmm...

It's a real shame about the ratings.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
He figured out that his son stole the ring, but I don't know how. Intuition? He didn't know about his son's new girlfriend either. Hmmm...
The penguin told him.

His son came downstairs, Michael asked him about the ring, son said nothing, went back upstairs. Michael looked back at the penguin and it motioned its head at the direction the son went, and then when Michael reacted like "did that penguin just try to tell me something?" it jerked its head even more. Michael went upstairs and confronted his son, who admitted to taking the ring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy
The penguin "told" him. It pointed its beak in the son's direction and then nodded when he looked at it quizzically.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Church AV Guy

I guess I didn't see it as the penguin TOLD him. Yes, I saw the penguin nod, but I guess I wasn't paying the correct attention.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm enjoying this too. It's actually a pretty good show, and the dualiverse is icing on the cake.

Ratings aren't good, and the Cancel/Renew guys say it is doomed. Dead. Kaput. Bubkes.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
It makes it interesting to see how the wifeverse and the sonverse work together to help him with his cases. He knows this, and like us, he has no desire to see either of them disappear in a puff of psychological smoke.
I'm pretty sure he's more interested in keeping both his wife and son "alive" than in how it helps him to solve cases.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-13-2012 at 02:10 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Just watched this ep over the weekend. I found it interesting at the very end how the lady shrink told him that his hallucinations had given him clues into which of his realities was real, and then that's when they showed Britten coming to the realization that Dr. Lee inside the hospital was a hallucination. So are we to take that as a clue that the Wifeverse, where Dr. Lee is his shrink, is the one that's not real?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I didn't get that at all, no. I don't think the writers would be so clunky.

Each of the therapists thinks they're the only real one. So this colors everything they say.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I didn't get that at all, no. I don't think the writers would be so clunky.

Each of the therapists thinks they're the only real one. So this colors everything they say.
I see what you did there.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
nyny523
Oy

I am really enjoying this show.

Plus Jason Issacs is hawt.

If it does get canceled, I hope they will at least explain WTF has been going on before it ends!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I am really enjoying this show.

Plus Jason Issacs is hawt.

If it does get canceled, I hope they will at least explain WTF has been going on before it ends!
Amen, amen, amen.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #16
steverm2

I am enjoying the show more each episode.I think being with the schizophrenic opened brittens eyes a bit to his own situation.
steverm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I just caught up and I though this was the best episode to date. It's a shame no one is still watching.
I'm behind on this show and just watched this episode. I agree it was the best so far.

I was wondering how he was going to go to sleep as a hostage, and I thought it was great that they had him go into a drug-induced sleep, complete with hallucinations in both realities. I am a sucker for mind-F movies (Memento, Fight Club, etc.), but you rarely see it pulled off on TV this well. I totally did not see it coming that the psychiatrist was a hallucination.

I guess this show isn't going to last, but I'll enjoy it while it's still on.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote