TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
klxdrt

Using The Tivo Desktop With Office Pc.

I just bought a new Tivo Premier (45 hr) & had my ISP (Charter) set up a wireless network using a CISCO DPC3845 DOCSIS 8.0 Gateway router which includes 4 Ethernet ports.

My Tivo is setup to receive channels thru a cable card. All is working fine, more channels, better pix qual on a 50" LG HDTV.

I just set up the Tivo Desktop which Tivo said may be good idea. However the desktop does not see my Tivo even though my PC is plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the wireless router.

Before I went into this project, I had extensive conversation with Tivo & Charter and mentioned I had NO other electronics in my home that were wireless, as I have NO NEED for them.

In answering my own question, to use the Tivo desktop, your PC must have a wireless card in it and not one of the experts nor the manual picked up on that.

Is this a correct assumption?

Most of my PC/Internet time is developing content, research & consulting.

------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
klxdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post
In answering my own question, to use the Tivo desktop, your PC must have a wireless card in it and not one of the experts nor the manual picked up on that.

Is this a correct assumption?
Not correct. In fact, wired all around is preferred for speed and reliability of transfers.

How new is your tivo? It takes a few days for transfers to be enabled.

Also, you may look into pytivo, it is much more powerful that the desktop program.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I think this is the kind of user who will not benefit from pyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
klxdrt

Not correct. In fact, wired all around is preferred for speed and reliability of transfers.

jrtroo,

Thanks for the quick response.

There are other issues as to why I cant wire it all around.

My question is: My PC is connected to one of the Ethernet ports on the wireless router, will Tivo desktop work with that config?

klxdrt
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

This sounds like it is your first time connecting your Tivo to try to transfer recordings on Tivo to/from PCs.

The Tivo, by default, does not have transfers/downloads enabled. You would need to go to tivo.com, MY ACCOUNT and login, under DVR Preferences, you would find boxes for TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS for each Tivo box on your account, check them. It would take up to 24 hrs to receive a Media Access Key (MAK) on your Tivo (s). You would need to use that MAK as well, enter it into Tivo Desktop under the menus.

Tivo can work under wireless and wired networks even if they are mixed.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
klxdrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
This sounds like it is your first time connecting your Tivo to try to transfer recordings on Tivo to/from PCs.

The Tivo, by default, does not have transfers/downloads enabled. You would need to go to tivo.com, MY ACCOUNT and login, under DVR Preferences, you would find boxes for TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS for each Tivo box on your account, check them. It would take up to 24 hrs to receive a Media Access Key (MAK) on your Tivo (s). You would need to use that MAK as well, enter it into Tivo Desktop under the menus.

Tivo can work under wireless and wired networks even if they are mixed.
Yes, It's my first time and I've been a Tivo advocate/user for over 8 yr. I'm going to put this issue in the basement for now, because there is a bigger issue.
Where is all the "real" Tivo Operating Instructions aggregated? I've read the manual several times & bookmarked items needing further explanation, gone thru the menus so many times I had to change the batteries in my remote. and spent hours searching the net, scouring forums etc. And still I don't have enough info that will allow me to operate this new Premier Tivo. Any info that is available is scattered all over the place and/or is incorrect.
Would you please be able to direct me where I can find the Tivo Bible?

Thanks,

klxdrt,

------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
justen_m

Connected to my wireless router, I have two Tivos (by wire), an XP workstation (by wire), an XP laptop (by wireless) and an XP netbook (by wireless). I can transfer recordings between Tivos, or from either Tivo to any of the XP systems without any problem. This is definitely doable.

As mentioned above it takes a day or two transferring recordings is supported once enabled.

I don't know of a Tivo bible. I would start with support.tivo.com.

[edit] As a note, all the XP systems also run Linux, and I can pull my recordings off my Tivo in Linux, too, and using TivoDecode and the MAK, convert the .tivo to .mpg for general viewing.

Last edited by justen_m : 04-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

OP- I agree with wmcbrine- it looks like you need to bone up on two things before you would look at pytivo.

1) basic operations of the HD menus. There is no bible, but the menus are not too deep- I would suggest picking a function and then explore it (season pass/guide/suggestions/wishlists). In general, most things work like they did with your older tivos. If you prefer the old way of doing things, you can revert to the old menus, though you would be missing some valuable features.

2) it sounds like you could get some value of some better understanding of your new home network. There are lots of good tutorials out there.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
klxdrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
OP- I agree with wmcbrine- it looks like you need to bone up on two things before you would look at pytivo.

1) basic operations of the HD menus. There is no bible, but the menus are not too deep- I would suggest picking a function and then explore it (season pass/guide/suggestions/wishlists). In general, most things work like they did with your older tivos. If you prefer the old way of doing things, you can revert to the old menus, though you would be missing some valuable features.

2) it sounds like you could get some value of some better understanding of your new home network. There are lots of good tutorials out there.
Forget it guys, this discussion is going nowhere.

Cheers,

klxdrt
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Ok, we are just trying to help.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
klxdrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Ok, we are just trying to help.
thanks, I'll be back when I have a list of questions.

klxdrt

Last edited by klxdrt : 04-17-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: add content
Old 06-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
mikeCsix

ThAbtO,

I was cruising by looking for some info on what might be the problem with intermittent ability to download to/from Tivo desktop. Thanks for the info on tivo.com regarding setups.

I found my setup was already enabled for video downloads.

Still, when I bring up Tivo Desktop and click on transfer recordings, the pop up screen tells me it can't find the DVR. I've done this several times now, managed to get it to work once, but not since then. When it worked, it downloaded 20+ hours of recording, so I know it was a solid connection.

I have replaced Bonjour and running the latest Java. (1.6?) Bonjour still does not pick up on the Tivo DVR Beacon.

I can nearly instantly open an http session on the DVR using its ip address, I wish we could hand code the ip address of the DVR into Tivo desktop so we didn't have to fool around with Bonjour which is where I think the problem may be. Also, I can ping the DVR without problems.

Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? I think maybe the software firewall on XP, I'm just now starting to jump down that path... I'd like to fix the problem instead of taking a baseball bat to it (ripping out the software and starting over again).

Thanks,

Mike
mikeCsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

There are some ports that should be opened/unblocked in your firewall.

UDP: 37, 123
TCP: 37, 80, 443, 5005, 5222, 5223, 7287, 7288, 8000, 8080-8089

~~~~~

Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
ggieseke

Try switching the discovery protocol to TiVo Beacon instead of Bonjour. IMO it's more reliable. Also make sure that your router isn't blocking broadcast or multicast packets.

For your firewall, Bonjour uses UDP port 5353 and TiVo Beacon uses TCP & UDP ports 2190. The Desktop setup program will make the necessary exceptions to Windows Firewall, but if you use something else you will have to set it up manually.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/402
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
mikeCsix

Wow, good stuff. Thanks for the replies, I'll dig into it and report back.

Thanks again...

Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
mikeCsix

Thanks again for the help, during this process I ran into a buzz saw figuratively speaking. With my wifi, (tivo is on wireless - 802.11g) I also wanted to improve my network connection to my pc. I wanted to try ethernet over powerline and found what looks like a decent product from netgear. I also wanted to try a dvd ripper by Aimersoft and to throw another wrench into the situation, Firefox decided now is the time to upgrade to 13.0. So I downloaded Aimersoft and tried to rip Independence Day but TiVo didn't pick it up even though I put it directly into the My Tivo directory. Probably a wrong format, I then powered down and made the new ethernet connection and during the reboot, Firefox downloaded 13.0 and then the fun started - BSOD's. My system had never crashed that hard before. Always with FF up and browsing and within 5 minutes. I tried IE and it worked though notoriously slow. Tired the Google browser, it worked and much faster but not as nice as FF, tired Opera and it worked too. To make a long story short, I think it ended up being a huge conflict between FF13 and Aimersoft. The BSOD's consistantly pointed to the NVidia driver. I ended up reloading FF12 and it helped a lot, but still BSOD'd occassionally. I then removed Aimersoft and I'm back to a nice stable system. Still had trouble with Tivo Desktop though not seeing the DVR. I found if I connected to the DVR via http, TiVo desktop would eventually find the DVR (with the browser up). So that helps account for intermittent discovery (incidentally, I tried Tivo Beacon Service on/off and Bonjour on/off and neither had an effect on the problem). Since my Tivo wireless connection was less than optimal (about 40%), I moved my powerline/ethernet connection to the Tivo DVR. It came up quickly once the netgear devices paired up (security pairing process). Could ping and http to the dvr from my desktop. I then tried Tivo Desktop and was amazed at how quickly the DVR was discovered. So I think the main issue with the DVR discovery was a non optimal wireless network connection. Incidentally, when Bonjour was installed, it opened a port on the firewall for itself. The firewall doesn't really tell you its udp/5353, just that its Bonjour.

Now for my next step, to find a good dvd ripper that can rip dvd movies into a format Tivo will recognize and to do it without BSOD's, probably a topic on another thread. I do hope this discription of my problem will help others resolve intermiitent TiVo Desktop connection and perhaps other issues with DVD rippers.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #17
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

DVDs use .VOB and will not be recognized by Tivo Desktop or any other program involved with Tivo transfers, but they can be converted to .MPG which is recognized.

I use DVD Decrypter (free) to extract (rip) the DVDs and use VideoReDo to do QuickStream Fix to a .MPG file, which fixes most timestamp issues. However, I dropped using Tivo Desktop (Plus) for its limited services. I now use PyTivo which I have set up with multiple folders to transfer from (TD/P only allows 1). I also use KMTTG to transfer from the Tivo, do metadata, decode to .MPG, as well as 'Push' to the Tivo (this is a PyTivo service).

~~~~~

Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #18
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
DVDs use .VOB and will not be recognized by Tivo Desktop or any other program involved with Tivo transfers, but they can be converted to .MPG which is recognized.
Newer versions of Desktop (2.7 and later) support .VOB files without even changing the extension.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo has supported .VOBs for as long as I can remember. They're just MPEG-2 program streams with a different extension. In fact, when pyTivo transcodes with ffmpeg, it uses "-f vob" to specify the output format.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote