TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
jshore

TiVo box names not showing up?

I have 3 TiVos - 2 Premieres and 1 Elite. All networked on same network. Streaming and transferring between any and all works fine. But about a week ago, "Guest Bedroom" (name that usually shows up when viewing that Tivo from another box) started showing up as the last 4 digits of the service number instead of the name. Then a few days later, "Living Room Elite" did the same thing with its last 4 digits of service number.

I called TiVo support and they had me restart router, change names online and force a connection, etc, - even change all streaming/downloading preferences online to reset all the boxes, and that didn't work.

They finally said it must be a problem with Tivo servers. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
loganasu
I'm a lurker

Mine is the same way and will now not accept network remote controls. But I haven't called or done troubleshooting due to the frustration of losing the remote control. Darn kids dropped it in the trash can.
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
TiVo Fool

Same thing happened to one of my boxes last week. Just checked my DVR Preferences on TiVO.com and the name had been changed to DVR-XXXX there as well. Just changed it back. I know it takes a while for changes online to show up on the boxes. Will check to the box tomorrow and see if it is fixed.

My other box seems fine.
TiVo Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, this is fairly widespread. I was hit too, but have recovered. I never lost the network remote service, though (just had the scan showing DVR-xxxx instead of the assigned names). Check that it didn't come unset in the menus.

Er, if you don't have any network or IR remotes, get a replacement. The cheapest I'm seeing online is $9, but you might do better with a universal remote, if you can figure out which ones support TiVo. Also I just noticed the Slide is down to $40 on Amazon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
jshore

Well, just checked this morning and the names are all back to normal.
jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
loganasu
I'm a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Er, if you don't have any network or IR remotes, get a replacement. The cheapest I'm seeing online is $9, but you might do better with a universal remote, if you can figure out which ones support TiVo. Also I just noticed the Slide is down to $40 on Amazon.
Thanks, but lucky for me, the kids were able to find the remote in the trash can thankfully before it left the house.
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganasu View Post
Thanks, but lucky for me, the kids were able to find the remote in the trash can thankfully before it left the house.
I guess throwing the remote away is one way to get a new remote. I guess it almost worked.

I had the same naming issue with one of my boxes last weekend. This has typically been a TiVo problem. It has happened a few times in the past as well. Not very often, but I don't mess with it anymore. Other than to check online and make sure my TiVo name didn't disappear. It doesn't last very long when there is an issue.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
ghuido

Happen to me last night, Impacted my TIVO Premiere Elite. Not the TIVO HD. I'll have to see if it cleared up today.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
schwaggy

This issue has cleared up, as TiVo told me it would over this last weekend.
It has been discussed in other forums here over the last week.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485730
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=486050
schwaggy is offline   Reply With Quote