Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #61
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard
If there are two teams being U-turned, one of them will get it first, the other will get it last (and essentially potentially be screwed). I just don't see why the team that gets U-turned first should not themselves be able to U-turn somebody else. They have to do the sedcond task, why also eliminate an aspect of the game that could then allow them to gain some advantage back? And I don't at all understand the first part of your first sentence. I'm not sure what a Double versus Single U-turn has to do at all with fairness (or unfairness)? If the rules don't preclude a U-turned team from U-turning someone else, I guess I just don't understand why people have such a problem with that. Because of who it was that was first U-turned perhaps?
Your post talked about how it would be a "death sentence" to the U-turned team if they couldn't then turn around and U-turn someone else. But for most of the seasons of TAR, the U-turn was just a single thing. One team got U-turned and that was it. No opportunity to drag someone else down with them. So I'm just curious why it would suddenly be so unfair for the first team to have to suffer the consequences of the U-turn without U-turning someone else, when that's the way it's always been done.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #62
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I forget, why is this not covered by the game show no-interference rules? I seem to remember someone corrected this misunderstanding in a previous reality show thread. (I sure thought it would be covered by those rules, and possibly get the FCC involved.)
I don't think TAR is considered a game show.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #63
VegasVic
Craps Player

Interesting, I guess I don't remember a time when a team U-turned another team and then found out that team was ahead of them.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #64
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Interesting, I guess I don't remember a time when a team U-turned another team and then found out that team was ahead of them.
From the Season 12 Wiki: "Kynt & Vyxsin used their U-Turn power on Nicolas & Donald. However, Nicolas & Donald were actually ahead of them, thus the U-Turn effect was void."

That was the first season it was offered.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #65
laria
Librocubicularist

It also happened last season? Season before? The one with the Australian dad and his son... the sailors who couldn't navigate their ship in Thailand.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #66
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Count me among those who initially like Team Border Patrol but have become less of a fan over the last two weeks...

Right now I like Rachel & Dave and Bopper & Mark.

They certainly made it appear that Green Team was way closer to Vanessa and Ralph when they U-Turned them. I expected them to be awkwardly standing next to them in the water line, but that didn't happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #67
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
No, that's the beauty of it. It's been done before, where Team A U-turned Team B, but Team B had already passed the U-turn, so there was no effect. Team A mistakenly thought Team B was behind them in the race.
Also team Border Patrol originally assumed the other alliance team must be behind them because they didn't use the u-turn.
bigpuma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #68
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
"Look, bamboons!"
Coo-coo-ca-choo
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #69
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
The one Kentucky boy looks very much like a hick Ryan Stiles to me.
I've been thinking they look like Joe Theismann and George Gervin.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #70
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
I forget, why is this not covered by the game show no-interference rules?
As heySkippy already said, TAR isn't considered a game show...

...but what game show no-interference rules? There's certainly no law or FCC regulation against, for example, the producers of "Jeopardy!" suddenly deciding to give an extra $10,000 to a hawt female contestant who's in third place.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #71
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
As heySkippy already said, TAR isn't considered a game show...

...but what game show no-interference rules? There's certainly no law or FCC regulation against, for example, the producers of "Jeopardy!" suddenly deciding to give an extra $10,000 to a hawt female contestant who's in third place.
Sure there is.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/509

Quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person, with intent to deceive the listening or viewing public—
(1) To supply to any contestant in a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill any special and secret assistance whereby the outcome of such contest will be in whole or in part prearranged or predetermined.
(2) By means of persuasion, bribery, intimidation, or otherwise, to induce or cause any contestant in a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill to refrain in any manner from using or displaying his knowledge or skill in such contest, whereby the outcome thereof will be in whole or in part prearranged or predetermined.
(3) To engage in any artifice or scheme for the purpose of prearranging or predetermining in whole or in part the outcome of a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance.
(4) To produce or participate in the production for broadcasting of, to broadcast or participate in the broadcasting of, to offer to a licensee for broadcasting, or to sponsor, any radio program, knowing or having reasonable ground for believing that, in connection with a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance constituting any part of such program, any person has done or is going to do any act or thing referred to in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this subsection.
(5) To conspire with any other person or persons to do any act or thing prohibited by paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of this subsection, if one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of such conspiracy.

pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #72
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
That has nothing to do with what trainman said. If Jeopardy!, or any other show, wanted to give a bonus to a contestant, and was upfront about the motivation, that would not be a violation of the law you cited. It would only be a violation if the show attempted to rig the game to benefit a certain contestant while still claiming it's a "bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill."

But to bring it back to the subject of the thread, nobody could make a reasonable argument that The Amazing Race (or Survivor, or any of the other reality contest shows) could be described as "bona fide contests of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill." Therefore, these shows are not covered by this statute.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #73
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That has nothing to do with what trainman said. If Jeopardy!, or any other show, wanted to give a bonus to a contestant, and was upfront about the motivation, that would not be a violation of the law you cited. It would only be a violation if the show attempted to rig the game to benefit a certain contestant while still claiming it's a "bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill."

But to bring it back to the subject of the thread, nobody could make a reasonable argument that The Amazing Race (or Survivor, or any of the other reality contest shows) could be described as "bona fide contests of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill." Therefore, these shows are not covered by this statute.
Yes, that's what I meant.. Making the plane come back is what I consider rigging...

But you guys have now re-confirmed what I remembered.. It's only "intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill" games that are covered. (Though, hmm, that actually leaves wiggle room for certain specific contests on shows that don't entirely fit that category though.. e.g. the puzzles on Survivor.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #74
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

My memory of it was that the door was closed and it was the pilot's decision whether or not to reopen it. The pilot decided to open it, and they put the ramp thingy back.
I've had that done. Being one who cries easily *sometimes* has benefits.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #75
ADent

I like the double U-turn more than the single U-turn. The single was a big hindrance and killer in a couple of cases.

The double U-Turn seems a bit more fair since if the two teams are close they have someone to compete against.

BTW from the editing the "teachers" should have a change to survive. At least for the first group of teams the bicycle was faster. Which since we saw them in the scene when the dating divorcees went to do the water the "teachers" should have beaten them to the Speed Bump.

They seemed to take as long to do the Speed Bump as they did to put up the tent. Dooming them no matter what in the end.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #76
getbak

The producers have always denied that they interfered in the decision to return the jetway and allow Uchenna and Joyce to board the plane: http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...rumor_response

It sounds like the gate agent told Uchenna & Joyce that the flight was closed, then allowed Rob & Amber to board, so Uchenna got angry and yelled at the gate agent until she called the pilot and asked about letting them board.

Also, one thing I've learned from watching this show over the years is to never trust anything they show just before a commercial break, especially if it looks like all hope is lost for one of the teams.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #77
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarisa View Post
Actually the sad thing about that is, the producers got them to turn the plane back around and reopen.

Quote:
I forget, why is this not covered by the game show no-interference rules? I seem to remember someone corrected this misunderstanding in a previous reality show thread. (I sure thought it would be covered by those rules, and possibly get the FCC involved.)
People need to stop saying it like it's a fact that the producers got the pilot to open the plane doors. No proof has ever been shown that it happened that way. Everyone involved with the show denies the producers had anything to do with the plane re-opening the doors to let them on. I saw an interview with Rob and he explicitly denies anyone from the show was involved in the decision to re-open the doors.
An FAA official has said that it's up to the pilot if the doors get opened and they said it was perfectly fine in this situation what the pilot did.
I'm sure that even if the producers had nothing to do with the decision, having a production crew with cameras helped the pilot make the decision. But i'm also sure that having a camera crew along helps in a lot of situation on the race.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zuko3984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #78
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuko3984 View Post
People need to stop saying it like it's a fact that the producers got the pilot to open the plane doors. No proof has ever been shown that it happened that way. Everyone involved with the show denies the producers had anything to do with the plane re-opening the doors to let them on. I saw an interview with Rob and he explicitly denies anyone from the show was involved in the decision to re-open the doors.
Exactly what they should say if they have been compensated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuko3984 View Post
I'm sure that even if the producers had nothing to do with the decision, having a production crew with cameras helped the pilot make the decision.
I think that's what happened.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #79
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Coo-coo-ca-choo
"That's not their mating call!"

Everyone knows that's the mating call of the walrus!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #80
goblue97
Hoke-amania

One thing I haven't notice much of lately is when a team recruits a local to help them through the leg. I remember in past seasons it seemed much more common. I wonder if there is a rule in place now or if the tasks are just different.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #81
type_g

THEY need to do the UTURN when a equalizer happened that would make it more interesting. No matter who got U turned here still knew that the teachers" would be gone
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #82
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
One thing I haven't notice much of lately is when a team recruits a local to help them through the leg. I remember in past seasons it seemed much more common. I wonder if there is a rule in place now or if the tasks are just different.
I bet there's a rule now... you can ask for help, but you can't invite them to come along. The little children followed the water bottle teams this last episode, so it must not be expressly forbidden that someone can accompany you (ie, invite themselves).

Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #83
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I hate the U-turns, and think they should be eliminated in any form.

The race is hard enough as it is, dealing with your own internal stresses, lost cabbies, broken cabs, etc. There is no need to introduce a U-turn in the mix too.

Just let them race, and if they come in last it will be more about bad luck or their inability to work together.
Agreed. It's one of the reasons I like this show over others of it's kiind. Everybody does as well as they can do, and it doesn't matter what anybody else does.

Not the "he's too good, let's eliminate him" aspect you get on Survivor...

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #84
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I bet there's a rule now... you can ask for help, but you can't invite them to come along. The little children followed the water bottle teams this last episode, so it must not be expressly forbidden that someone can accompany you (ie, invite themselves).
Unless otherwise stated by the clues, teams are allowed to use the help of locals for navigating and during tasks. Teams are required to have any locals who appear on camera sign release forms that legally clear the footage for use; some teams have avoided or reduced contacts with random local strangers because the release process can take a very long time to complete.

More rules and citations here!

Disclaimer: Reading through the citations will take much of the "magic" out of the show for some people, so read at your own risk.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #85
Inundated
Face For Radio

I have this one sitting on my phone and haven't finished it yet, and don't really care who got Philiminated.

The bee segment had me dropping out of the show for the rest of the night Sunday, and I haven't bothered to catch up.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #86
ThePhoenix
Brr. It's Chile here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Unless otherwise stated by the clues, teams are allowed to use the help of locals for navigating and during tasks. Teams are required to have any locals who appear on camera sign release forms that legally clear the footage for use; some teams have avoided or reduced contacts with random local strangers because the release process can take a very long time to complete.

More rules and citations here!

Disclaimer: Reading through the citations will take much of the "magic" out of the show for some people, so read at your own risk.
Thanks for that link. Very interesting. I can see now why the teams limit their use of locals to the times they really need the help.

ThePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote