Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

My memory of it was that the door was closed and it was the pilot's decision whether or not to reopen it. The pilot decided to open it, and they put the ramp thingy back.
Funny. In my mind the plane pulled away and then pulled back in. I am sure it didn't, but had I been asked, I would have said it did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #32
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

So lets review some winning Amazing Race strategies:

Don't let other teams know what you really do for a living: How did the other team thinking of the federal agents as "teachers" help them at all? I still don't get that "strategy" - similar thing happened last season with the Indianapolis Colts guy. They try to justify it as "we don't want to be a target" but... it's a race. Everyone's a target by virtue of participating.

Team Army and Team Border Patrol Alliance - whoever gets there first must U-Turn the green team! Art and J.J. were furious (I guess just over the principle of their agreement being broken?) but it certainly didn't gain them any time or position. "We're in this for ourselves, now" - It's a RACE.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #33
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post

Don't let other teams know what you really do for a living: How did the other team thinking of the federal agents as "teachers" help them at all? I still don't get that "strategy" - similar thing happened last season with the Indianapolis Colts guy. They try to justify it as "we don't want to be a target" but... it's a race. Everyone's a target by virtue of participating.

Team Army and Team Border Patrol Alliance - whoever gets there first must U-Turn the green team! Art and J.J. were furious (I guess just over the principle of their agreement being broken?) but it certainly didn't gain them any time or position. "We're in this for ourselves, now" - It's a RACE.
The Army team's explanation as to why they didn't U-Turn Brachel made sense. The purpose was to get them out of the game, but they said that the "teachers" were so far behind that it wouldn't have worked. Of course, the hot headed Border Patrol guy didn't get it.

Could someone refresh my memory about U-Turns? I seem to remember that in the past, if you U-turn somebody and the U-turn shows up in another leg of the race, you can't U-turn again. Does anybody remember?

Because if that is the case, I can see why Army didn't want to waste a U-turn.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
Could someone refresh my memory about U-Turns? I seem to remember that in the past, if you U-turn somebody and the U-turn shows up in another leg of the race, you can't U-turn again. Does anybody remember?
If there are multiple u-turns, a team may only use their's once during the race.

http://www.amazingracefanwiki.com/page/U-Turn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

To me, there's only one way to win. Do well enough in the challenges to:

A) Not get eliminated
B) Finish first or stay close on legs that stay in the same location after the pitstop, or the next location after the pitstop is withing driving distance.
C) Finish near the back and luck out that the next leg requires a flight that everyone will end up back on.

The problem with the game (and I LOVE TAR) is that really the only REAL strategy is A). The rest doesn't matter, until the last leg, when you have to finish first. It's too easy to bunch up and change the game.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #36
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I liked it that B&R were able to use a U-turn after they themselves were U-turned.

It keeps people from just ganging up on a team with no repercussions.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #37
VegasVic
Craps Player

Most legs have a bunch up of some kind whether it's the flight or "hours of operation". To have a non bunch up leg following a non elim leg pretty much sealed the "teachers" fate.

Border guys need to STFU, I'm sick of them.

GO KENTUCKY.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like the Kentucky boys, but I often wish they would STFU too. Yes, I know you haven't seen __________ before because you live in the sticks. Enough already.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

This was the first leg of this season that wasn't won by either Dave/Rachel, or Art/JJ. Congrats to Mark & Bopper. Bopper's knee looked like he was in a lot of pain, and he soldiered through it.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #40
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
I was actually surprised that that was the case as well. I seem to recall u-turned teams not having that ability in prior seasons...someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It's happened at least one other time since they started the double u-turns. Might have been last season? I don't know, they all blend together after a while. But I remember thinking at the time that it seemed stupid that someone should be able to u-turn someone before they'd completed their second task.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #41
laria
Librocubicularist

I am also pretty sure that they didn't used to be able to u-turn someone else until they'd already completed their second task.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's just how the rules are written. The sequence of events is either "task-Uturn box-penalty task (if req)-next task" or "task-penalty task (if req)-Uturn box-next task". I think it makes sense as they're doing it. "I got to the Uturn box, I can use it, then I serve my penalty." It would make more sense if the clue box was separate and behind the Uturn... you have to go thru the Uturn to get to it.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #43
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This was the first leg of this season that wasn't won by either Dave/Rachel, or Art/JJ. Congrats to Mark & Bopper. Bopper's knee looked like he was in a lot of pain, and he soldiered through it.
And from the previews, they'd like you to believe that,
Spoiler:
...because of his bad knee, he's giving up....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
It's just how the rules are written. The sequence of events is either "task-Uturn box-penalty task (if req)-next task" or "task-penalty task (if req)-Uturn box-next task". I think it makes sense as they're doing it. "I got to the Uturn box, I can use it, then I serve my penalty." It would make more sense if the clue box was separate and behind the Uturn... you have to go thru the Uturn to get to it.
I think that's the way it's always been. The U-turn board is separate from the clue box, and the clue box is usually a few yards behind the U-turn board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And from the previews, they'd like you to believe that,
Spoiler:
...because of his bad knee, he's giving up....
That's not Bopper, that's Mark.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #45
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Did anyone else notice Rachel (from Dave and Rachel) filing her nails with the file they were supposed to be using to rough up the bike tube?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #46
ElJay

Quote:
I can understand why the border patrol guys were upset. If they had run into problems and fell back to last place, team army u-turning the green teem could've been the difference between them going home or continuing on.

In team army's attempt to not antagonize the green team, they've pissed off the border patrol guys instead.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #47
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I can understand why the border patrol guys were upset. If they had run into problems and fell back to last place, team army u-turning the green teem could've been the difference between them going home or continuing on.

In team army's attempt to not antagonize the green team, they've pissed off the border patrol guys instead.
Oh well. Who cares? This show is about a race and who finishes each leg of the race the fastest. It should not be about the interpersonal strategy and alliances that dominate other shows like Survivor. I'm convinced that this is why TAR won all those Emmy's for Best Reality Show, because it used to just be a race where it was the contestants against the Race, and fighting with each other gave no advantage.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
But I remember thinking at the time that it seemed stupid that someone should be able to u-turn someone before they'd completed their second task.
I've seen this sentiment stated a couple of times, and I just can't agree with it.

There very well could be a team who has no intention of U-turning anyone, who themselves wind up getting U-turned. As a strategy in the game, doesn't it then make sense for them to be able to U-turn someone who is behind them?

If they are not allowed to U-turn someone until they finish their 'pentaly' task, they're pretty much screwed once they are U-turned with very little, if any, chance of staying in the game.

Whether it's a strategy to slow a team down to give yourself or someone else a bit of an advantage. or just a 'screw you, I don't like you so I'm U-turning you', it shouldn't wind up being a death sentence as far as that leg of the race goes.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #49
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I've seen this sentiment stated a couple of times, and I just can't agree with it.

There very well could be a team who has no intention of U-turning anyone, who themselves wind up getting U-turned. As a strategy in the game, doesn't it then make sense for them to be able to U-turn someone who is behind them?

If they are not allowed to U-turn someone until they finish their 'pentaly' task, they're pretty much screwed once they are U-turned with very little, if any, chance of staying in the game.

Whether it's a strategy to slow a team down to give yourself or someone else a bit of an advantage. or just a 'screw you, I don't like you so I'm U-turning you', it shouldn't wind up being a death sentence as far as that leg of the race goes.
If the only way to do it fair is for it to be a Double U-Turn, how do you explain the "single" version of the U-turn that was used in most seasons of TAR until recently? And what about the second team that gets U-turned? If it would be a "death sentence" for the first team, isn't a "death sentence" for the second team? Why the different consideration for the two different situations?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #50
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I hate the U-turns, and think they should be eliminated in any form.

The race is hard enough as it is, dealing with your own internal stresses, lost cabbies, broken cabs, etc. There is no need to introduce a U-turn in the mix too.

Just let them race, and if they come in last it will be more about bad luck or their inability to work together.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #51
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought one of the reasons Border Patrol was so upset was because they didn't know where they stood in the race. If Army Team had used the U-Turn as they agreed, they would have for sure known that Army Team was ahead of them and then used theirs accordingly to hinder another team.

But it also seemed like the U-Turn sign showed them which teams had already been through that stop. I didn't think that was done in past seasons. I always thought some of the fun of the race was for the racers to not really know where they were in the at any given time unless they run into another team and can figure it out from that.

The Border Patrol has definitely fallen down my list of people I'd like to win this thing.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #52
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
(except that we GET it, they're looking for Hillary Clington! Yeesh, terrible editing...),
The funny thing is that several of them overemphasized the 'g', yet on the actual store cart thing (can't think of a better term), the 'g' was scratched out or painted over -- like they realized it was a misspelling, and didn't want it to be known as Clington anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarisa View Post
Actually the sad thing about that is, the producers got them to turn the plane back around and reopen.
I forget, why is this not covered by the game show no-interference rules? I seem to remember someone corrected this misunderstanding in a previous reality show thread. (I sure thought it would be covered by those rules, and possibly get the FCC involved.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #53
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I like the Kentucky boys, but I often wish they would STFU too. Yes, I know you haven't seen __________ before because you live in the sticks. Enough already.
The one Kentucky boy looks very much like a hick Ryan Stiles to me.

Oh, and I must correct myself about something I said in last week's thread. I don't have that episode anymore, but I suspect I misread the caption about Rachel. I noticed this week, it said approx:

Brendan & Rachel
PhD student and cocktail waitress

So I'm pretty sure it *didn't* just say that just for Rachel last week. I think I was misremembering it as being like Survivor overlays, which, even when they're on teams, sometimes just says the one person's name and occupation.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #54
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post

But it also seemed like the U-Turn sign showed them which teams had already been through that stop. I didn't think that was done in past seasons. I always thought some of the fun of the race was for the racers to not really know where they were in the at any given time unless they run into another team and can figure it out from that.
The UTurn screens showed all the teams and the eliminated teams were gray/xed out

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #55
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Oh, and I must correct myself about something I said in last week's thread. I don't have that episode anymore, but I suspect I misread the caption about Rachel. I noticed this week, it said approx:

Brendan & Rachel
PhD student and cocktail waitress

So I'm pretty sure it *didn't* just say that just for Rachel last week. I think I was misremembering it as being like Survivor overlays, which, even when they're on teams, sometimes just says the one person's name and occupation.
I have never noticed it say cocktail waitress. Earlier in the season it said Event Hostess.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #56
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
The UTurn screens showed all the teams and the eliminated teams were gray/xed out
So it wasn't indicative of their placement in the leg? Seemed like the pictures were in some kind of order, but I didn't look real closely.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #57
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
So it wasn't indicative of their placement in the leg? Seemed like the pictures were in some kind of order, but I didn't look real closely.
That I am not sure.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #58
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think the U-Turn board would have always shown who was ahead of who because you have to know who you can, and can't uturn?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #59
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I'm not sure but I think the U-Turn board would have always shown who was ahead of who because you have to know who you can, and can't uturn?
No, that's the beauty of it. It's been done before, where Team A U-turned Team B, but Team B had already passed the U-turn, so there was no effect. Team A mistakenly thought Team B was behind them in the race.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #60
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I thought the teams were listed on the U-turn board in no particular order, similar to how they show them in the open - same order all season long regardless of who has been Philiminated yet or not. I don't think there was any indication at all as to who may have completed that portion of the leg yet, who was still on the course, or what order the teams happened to be in at the time. Someone could easily still U-turn someone who has already moved on without knowing it if they thought that team was still behind them, as I believe has happened in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If the only way to do it fair is for it to be a Double U-Turn, how do you explain the "single" version of the U-turn that was used in most seasons of TAR until recently? And what about the second team that gets U-turned? If it would be a "death sentence" for the first team, isn't a "death sentence" for the second team? Why the different consideration for the two different situations?
If there are two teams being U-turned, one of them will get it first, the other will get it last (and essentially potentially be screwed). I just don't see why the team that gets U-turned first should not themselves be able to U-turn somebody else. They have to do the sedcond task, why also eliminate an aspect of the game that could then allow them to gain some advantage back? And I don't at all understand the first part of your first sentence. I'm not sure what a Double versus Single U-turn has to do at all with fairness (or unfairness)? If the rules don't preclude a U-turned team from U-turning someone else, I guess I just don't understand why people have such a problem with that. Because of who it was that was first U-turned perhaps?
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote