TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
GoEagles

Imagine my surprise..

I wanted to buy another Premiere that I could replace a hard drive and have it store a lot more shows. Someone was selling one for $50 near me that he says he won at Best Buy while his worked there. He has Comcast with a nice promotion and didn't need the box.

He said it might have a few months left of free service, but didn't know how many. I still took the deal anyway since a practically new unit for $50 was great. I called TiVo to transfer to my name, and they tell me it has some kind of internal PLS and no need to pay for anything. SWEET!
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I wanted to buy another Premiere that I could replace a hard drive and have it store a lot more shows. Someone was selling one for $50 near me that he says he won at Best Buy while his worked there. He has Comcast with a nice promotion and didn't need the box.

He said it might have a few months left of free service, but didn't know how many. I still took the deal anyway since a practically new unit for $50 was great. I called TiVo to transfer to my name, and they tell me it has some kind of internal PLS and no need to pay for anything. SWEET!
Nice, but you should verify what kind of "lifetime" it has. Seems like there are some with "11:Evaluation" (or something like that) lifetimes that could be terminated by Tivo at their whim or possibly be non-transferrable. The good one is code "5:Product Lifetime Service".
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Nice, but you should verify what kind of "lifetime" it has. Seems like there are some with "11:Evaluation" (or something like that) lifetimes that could be terminated by Tivo at their whim or possibly be non-transferrable. The good one is code "5:Product Lifetime Service".
Excellent suggestion!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Chris Gerhard

Wow, always cool to see someone get a great deal but Premiere with lifetime service for $50 is the best deal yet.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Test

Were they able to transfer it to your name?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Series3Sub

I thought there were some that are Evaluation even if it shows a "5 Product Liftetime Service." Unless TiVo has changed what is displayed for all evaluations, there are several post from angry TiVo Evaluation boxes with "5" code who, when the Evaluation ended, had to pay full price subscriptions or Lifetimes (or MSD rates) for the boxes. What was upsetting was that the TiVo nor calls to CSR's BEFORE the end of the evaluation NEVER gave any indication that they were other than "5" Lifetime. If this has changed, then great.

What usually happens is that the evaluation Lifetime runs out, and you are forced to set a new payment plan. However, MSD does apply, but, financially, it is as if you just got the TiVo and need to add it to your account. You are given NO CREDIT or additional discounts. If you want Lifetime, you will have to pay full price either as first Lifetime or subsequent Lifetime box if you already have another on your account.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
GoEagles

This is odd to me. It says Product Lifetime Service on the My Account page, but the service is listed as Code 11 on the box. I would like to sell this to someone because I don't need the ability to record 6 shows at one time, but morally I couldn't sell a lifetime subscription box if says "Evaluation" on the front. No one at Tivo can tell me when it ends either, or when it would be removed. I'll use it till the proverbial wheels falls/subscription ends.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
This is odd to me. It says Product Lifetime Service on the My Account page, but the service is listed as Code 11 on the box. I would like to sell this to someone because I don't need the ability to record 6 shows at one time, but morally I couldn't sell a lifetime subscription box if says "Evaluation" on the front. No one at Tivo can tell me when it ends either, or when it would be removed. I'll use it till the proverbial wheels falls/subscription ends.
Still, not bad to have a Premiere for spare parts. I bought an unused one for $51/delivered for just that purpose. You actually need a Premeire hard drive to make a new hard drive because WinMFS and WinTools can't make a truncated image of a Premiere.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
GoEagles

I'm definitely keeping it around and it seems to have a subscription on it so I'm using it now. Plan to use it a STB in my bedroom and if I can finally get my Elite to transfer shows to other Premiere boxes.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
tootal2

How do you know that tivo was not stolen? seems like to good of a deal.

Quote:

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
seems like to good of a deal.
too good!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
too good!
I imagine its a true deal, do Grats on a great deal

If my Tivo was stolen I would be sure to contact Tivo and report it, in hopes they would turn the unit off from any subscription.
Orthanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
GoEagles

I am sure it's not stolen, I knew where it came from, nothing shady like that going on. I think you can report it as stolen of course and I would have run into a major problem, but it was a good deal though, lucky i guess in this case.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
I am sure it's not stolen, I knew where it came from, nothing shady like that going on. I think you can report it as stolen of course and I would have run into a major problem, but it was a good deal though, lucky i guess in this case.
those are the deals we all hope to trip over..congrats

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote