TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Orthanos

buy used or new?

I would like to upgrade from my series 1, and am considering busing a series 3, HD off eBay, or just going to Tivo and getting a new premier with lifetime.

What is the advantage of premier vs the older series 3?

Any thoughts?

-
Orthanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The Series 3 models are great HD DVR's.

The origional OLED S3 requires two cable cards while the HD models require only one M card. They will serve you well and you will save some money going with one that has an existing lifetime service contract.

The downside is that the platform does not receive any additional software updates and you will not get any of the future features with the S3 models. Such as:

- Full feature tablet TiVo Companion app
- New software updates to Youtube and Netflix
- The new Transcoding device for streaming / sideloading to portable devices
- The new IP Set top box for streaming to extra TV's
- Anything else TiVo dreams up.

In the end it depends on what you are looking for. If you just want a good, solid DVR you can save a few dollars and buy a used S3 model. If you find value in any of the new features offered by the Premier platform then a Premier would be your best bet.

Good Luck!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Orthanos

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
The Series 3 models are great HD DVR's.

The origional OLED S3 requires two cable cards while the HD models require only one M card. They will serve you well and you will save some money going with one that has an existing lifetime service contract.

The downside is that the platform does not receive any additional software updates and you will not get any of the future features with the S3 models. Such as:

- Full feature tablet TiVo Companion app
- New software updates to Youtube and Netflix
- The new Transcoding device for streaming / sideloading to portable devices
- The new IP Set top box for streaming to extra TV's
- Anything else TiVo dreams up.

In the end it depends on what you are looking for. If you just want a good, solid DVR you can save a few dollars and buy a used S3 model. If you find value in any of the new features offered by the Premier platform then a Premier would be your best bet.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I would like the play on other tv's idea.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
lrhorer

Note both unmodified S3 and S4 class TiVos cannot transfer protected content to any other device. If you are interested in transferring videos from your TiVo to an external device and you happen to have a CATV provider that copy protects everything, your ability to transfer content from the Premier or Elite will be severely limited. While this is also true of unmodified S3 class TiVos, it is not true of a modified S3 class TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Note both unmodified S3 and S4 class TiVos cannot transfer protected content to any other device. If you are interested in transferring videos from your TiVo to an external device and you happen to have a CATV provider that copy protects everything, your ability to transfer content from the Premier or Elite will be severely limited. While this is also true of unmodified S3 class TiVos, it is not true of a modified S3 class TiVo.
I am not so much interested in transferring to another device as I am wanting to have a single tivo as long as I can play the recordings on other tv's in the house.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthanos View Post
I am not so much interested in transferring to another device as I am wanting to have a single tivo as long as I can play the recordings on other tv's in the house.
Glad I was of help. Do understand that the IP Set top box was announced earlier this year but is not out yet and we are still waiting for final product details.

We do know that it will only work as a companion to the Premier platform.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
dsnotgood

Just get a new premiere from amazon or electronic expo. They go for around 50-80 brand new. No point in getting used / old HD unit which won't get updates , be slower, and have less resale value.

Or if you get it from TiVo thy will most likely give you a free wifi adapter or upgraded remote..worth a try to call and ask to see what they give you.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Just get a new premiere from amazon or electronic expo. They go for around 50-80 brand new. No point in getting used / old HD unit which won't get updates , be slower, and have less resale value.

Or if you get it from TiVo thy will most likely give you a free wifi adapter or upgraded remote..worth a try to call and ask to see what they give you.
+1

Unless you are buying an S3 with lifetime service already attached, you are going to have to pay for service. In that case, you are going to be better off with a Premiere, especially since you aren't going to see new function on older boxes.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
smbaker

I'd just get a new Premiere (in fact, I did, two of them). The Premiere is the latest platform, it's going to have the longest lasting support in the future, and is going to be getting the new features.

The only reason to buy the older hardware is if you have a budget limitation.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post

The older systems have things the newer ones don't. Like a built in DVD burner/player, support for satellite (at least the Premiere doesn't support satellite), night light, jacks on the front to hook up your video camera, and more.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
Chris Gerhard

I would certainly buy a new Premiere or refurbished Premiere with warranty instead of a used Series 3 at any price I see today although I do own the TiVoHD with no plan to upgrade to the Premiere. If a TiVoHD with lifetime was availble for under $300, it might be worth considering instead of a new Premiere with lifetime at $500 but for anything less than a $200 premium, buy new is my recommendation.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

fleabay Tivo HD w/lifetime for $350 or so, if you have a limited budget. Even cheaper if you can find on one craigslist. The minimum entry level price for a Premiere w/lifetime is $550 now, if you can get the discount code to work.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
atmuscarella

You can get the original Premiere new for $100 or a reconditioned for $80 from the TiVo clearance center.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/clearance.do
You might also be able to find a new one cheaper on line somewhere. In any event I would get the original Premiere (new or reconditioned) with lifetime wait 90 days then upgrade the hard (keeping the original hard drive is important). Total costs with lifetime and hard drive upgrade somewhere around $600 depending on how much you have to pay for a 1 or 2TB hard drive 3 months from now.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
The older systems have things the newer ones don't. Like a built in DVD burner/player, support for satellite (at least the Premiere doesn't support satellite), night light, jacks on the front to hook up your video camera, and more.
There's a demand for ancient DVD players/burners that is significant enough that one would want it integrated into his Tivo? Investing money in antiquated hardware to gain a night light or front panel jacks would just be silly.

The only necessity I see on your list is satellite compatibility, in which case if it was me I'd buy or rent the satellite company's DVR instead of a Tivo.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Orthanos

Quote:
There's a demand for ancient DVD players/burners that is significant enough that one would want it integrated into his Tivo? Investing money in antiquated hardware to gain a night light or front panel jacks would just be silly.

The only necessity I see on your list is satellite compatibility, in which case if it was me I'd buy or rent the satellite company's DVR instead of a Tivo.
Thanks all for your thoughts.

I went ahead and got me a Premier. Might lifetime it, but dang 399 is a boat load of cash right now.

I was dumb and got the 75 hour premier instead of the 45 hour one. But otherwise I will get an expansion drive for it down the road.

Thanks again all.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
I would buy used.
You can get a good DVR'S used, but I am not sure it is really the smart money.

What is your reasoning?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It's at least $150 cheaper than new.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
I would like to upgrade from my series 1, and am considering busing a series 3, HD off eBay, or just going to Tivo and getting a new premier with lifetime.

What is the advantage of premier vs the older series 3?

Any thoughts?

-
Is your S1 lifetimed?

Was that lifetime sub purchased on or before January 20, 2000?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It's at least $150 cheaper than new.
And if money is the driving concern for you - it is a good DVR.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
Orthanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is your S1 lifetimed?

Was that lifetime sub purchased on or before January 20, 2000?
My S1 is lifetime subscription the original activation date is 12/25/2001. What does that mean?

-Jose
Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
My S1 is lifetime subscription the original activation date is 12/25/2001. What does that mean?

-Jose
It means you paid for lifetime service too late (by almost 2 years) to qualify for the loophole that would let you transfer that subscription to another TiVo for free.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
I'd just get a new Premiere (in fact, I did, two of them). The Premiere is the latest platform
Which is significant how?

Quote:
it's going to have the longest lasting support in the future
Since S1 TiVos from 1999 are still supported, I'm hard pressed to get excited over this. Of course, they could decide to terminate support for the S3 platform tomorrow. I'll worry about it when it happens. In the mean time I would submit that a $100 - $150 investment in the platform at this time would more than likely not be wasted.

Quote:
and is going to be getting the new features.
Vapor. So far, I've only seen one or two new or proposed features that are remotely interesting. The fact a feature is avaialble impresses me not at all if it is a feature I don't find of use. When offset by the fact the platform would not be able to perform its primary duty due to restrictions set by my CATV company, the decision not to buy is not difficult.

Quote:
Not true. In my household, a Premier or Elite would be litle more than very expensive doorstops. They do only a small, albeit admittedly significant, fraction of the things I demand from my TiVos.

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
lrhorer

Quote:
That requires transferring the content to another device, unless you are considering something like a SlingBox solution.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
That requires transferring the content to another device, unless you are considering something like a SlingBox solution.
Or an IP STP - that admittedly we do not know a lot about yet. But I do think it is resonable to consider these future devices when making a purchasing decision.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #25
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:

Since S1 TiVos from 1999 are still supported, I'm hard pressed to get excited over this.
If S1 TiVos were really supported then they would have support for converter boxes and their software would still being updated, which it isn't. Not to say that they aren't worth something. People are still buying them on eBay.

Course people are buying french toast on ebay that has a purported picture of Jesus on it too.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #26
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Well, the OP has made his choice - so any argument now is just academic. :-D

Having said that... when faced with a similar choice a few months ago, I bought a used Tivo HD XL for $140 and slipped it into my $6.95/month plan. My LG television already has all the useful extras the Premiere offered, so there wasn't really much added value for me if I went that way.

If you're buying the Tivo mainly to be a DVR, I don't think the Premiere offers a whole lot more than the Series 3 boxes.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
GoEagles

If I were the OP, I would return it. Let's look at some quick math:

$149.99 (New Premiere) + ($179.88) = $328.88 for 1 Year

$50 (Used Premiere) + Lifetime ($399) = $449 (As long as keep the box going)

Yes, the additional upfront difference is $120 or so, but as soon as you complete the second year of PLS, you are going to start saving money.

If/When hard drives prices go down, get a 1TB or 2TB hard drive for under $75 in a year or so time.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
Shogun82

TiVo can always replace a lifetimed DVR with a referb for a fee in worst case scenario. Besides, the tutorials online can help most people replace bad hard drives... My vote; get a gently used TiVo (no older than series 3 HD).
Shogun82 is offline   Reply With Quote