TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Bob Coxner

Mad Men - "Signal 30" OAD 4/15/12

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a MM episode.

She: Oh, honey, you've had such a hard day
He: Nope
She: Umm...this is my first time. I'm kind of nervous.
She: You're my king.
He: Okay

And my absolute favorite was Robert Morse's line "reschedule the meeting". Laughed my freaking head off.

Who knew that Don Draper would turn out to be "the nun" in the group?
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Pete has had that beating coming and I loved seeing it.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Don Draper - plumber for hire! I would hire him!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Somehow I picture Lane as actually having had a class in Pugilism sometime in his British upbringing...
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
mwhip
All better

Roger - "I know we should say, let cooler heads prevail, but who else kind of wants to see this?"

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Peter000

I've been waiting for Lane and Joan together for some time now. I think they have a weird sort of chemistry that's great. I wish the kiss had turned out differently.

I also enjoyed seeing Pete get his ass handed to him. Pretentious dick.

Don is boring now. I want the old womanizing Don back.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Somehow I picture Lane as actually having had a class in Pugilism sometime in his British upbringing...
Yes. It seemed almost a given.

I also think if it was the old Don in charge of the night out they wouldn't have gone to a party where gum is left behind and then lost the account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Courtesy of Sepinwall's review, here's a YT link to the traffic film

Signal 30

(Which I last saw circa 1990 when I had to go to defensive driving school after getting a ticket)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I was glad to see Ken wasn't going to give up on his writing, although I didn't expect such odd stuff from him.

I was surprised that Joan didn't pull away from Lane's embrace. Lane's wife must be one of those emotionally cold English women judging by how many women Lane's tried to get close to over the years - chocolate bunny, the girl in the photograph, Joan, and others I may have forgotten. Glad to see Joan back at work.

I continue to love how well Megan handles Don. She's so much better for Don than Betty ever was. Speaking of handling Don, Trudy sure didn't take no for an answer! As always, an episode with Trudy is a good episode.

Pete, you're an idiot, but then again, you'll never be happy even when you have everything as you do now. For the sake of their marriage, I hope Pete works through his inferiority complex before Trudy finds out about his philandering. ("Go home, take a shower...." The voice of experience, eh, Don?)
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was interested/surprised that Joan didn't pull away, but imo, she also didn't seem to respond - well other than getting up, opening the door and then going on with work. I am pretty sure she has done that with Roger. Maybe I need to rewatch it - did she respond?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

And my absolute favorite was Robert Morse's line "reschedule the meeting". Laughed my freaking head off.

The part where I just couldn't stop laughing was the entire fight scene between Lane and Pete; from the moment Lane took off his jacket right through the "reschedule the meeting". Just cracking up.

(Also loved the part where Trudy totally trumped Don's excuses and basically forced him to come to her dinner)

Great episode.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
mm2margaret
Meagan

I'm not so sure that a well behaved, choir boy Don Draper is all that good for the show. It's nice to see it for the character, but I remain unconvinced that this will work out well for the series. We'll see.

I for one, wasn't all that enamored by this episode. It seemed like it was all about Pete, and I'm not that interested in Pete as a character. Don, Roger, Peggy and Joan, I find interesting. Pete not so much. It was kind of great that he got his comeuppance. That I liked. And yes, he had it coming - for a long time.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Just like every other MM episode, I found this one to be excellent.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
hapdrastic
Swarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

The delivery of "Okay" was perfect and hilarious. My wife and I were trying to say "Okay" like that for the rest of the night.
hapdrastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
I'm not so sure that a well behaved, choir boy Don Draper is all that good for the show. It's nice to see it for the character, but I remain unconvinced that this will work out well for the series. We'll see.

I for one, wasn't all that enamored by this episode. It seemed like it was all about Pete, and I'm not that interested in Pete as a character. Don, Roger, Peggy and Joan, I find interesting. Pete not so much. It was kind of great that he got his comeuppance. That I liked. And yes, he had it coming - for a long time.
I liked the episode because there was a bit more of the old Roger showing up (it helps that Slattery directed this episode), including Roger realizing that he's more emeritus than anything else.

Also interesting how Roger was upset at Ken for writing after-hours, when Roger's own writing efforts were happening during work hours, with his work secretary (before Lane got rid of Roger's secretary as a cost measure)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
mwhip
All better

I found the whole Roger telling Ken to stop writing very odd. I knew there was no way Peggy would tell but how come Pete told Roger? Pete hates Roger, wouldn't he just tell Ken himself? He is a partner.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I continue to love how well Megan handles Don. She's so much better for Don than Betty ever was. Speaking of handling Don, Trudy sure didn't take no for an answer! As always, an episode with Trudy is a good episode.
I really liked that too, Megan really does "get it" and I think that shows overall in the relationship, I know personally I like seeing contented Don, not as dramatic, but very satisfying.

I also liked how his upbringing fall into place with the club/apt/cat house and that while he called it a whorehouse he did so very matter of factly enough the madam had no big issues with him, at least that was my take away.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
gamndbndr

Loved this episode for everything here plus great direction. Interesting cuts such as Ken opens door to leave Peggy's office cut to Lane opening the door to let Rodger in his office. And steamy car stop pan up dissolve to office typewriter.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapdrastic View Post
The delivery of "Okay" was perfect and hilarious. My wife and I were trying to say "Okay" like that for the rest of the night.
So which did you go for? Hard day, first time or King?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

Pete got his butt kicked. Naa naa na naa naa!

I started disliking philandering, jerkoff Don. Now I find St. Don kinda boring. I can't win.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Did it seem to anyone else that Megan didn't like the idea of having a kid - the daughter Don thought would be a great idea?

What was it that the madam asked Don where Don said "that's the smoothest I've ever heard it said before"?
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
What was it that the madam asked Don where Don said "that's the smoothest I've ever heard it said before"?
I didn't quite catch it either - was it if he wanted a guy? or a bondage type place? There was also something about a place up the block? I have to stop watching this before I go to bed. I kept falling almost asleep. Not because of the show, but because of me.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Peter000

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I didn't quite catch it either - was it if he wanted a guy? or a bondage type place? There was also something about a place up the block?
It was "If there's something you can't find here, a friend of mine has an apartment, it may be more of what you're looking for. It's walking distance"

Never got into specifics. I guess it was left to the viewer to fill in the blanks with whatever taboo popped into their head.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

The person at the other place was referred to as a he so I assumed the madam was referring to a homosexual version of the place she was running.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

The only thing I'm really missing from Mad Men (last couple of seasons anyway) is the actual advertising. I loved how we saw initially, and through the move to SCDP, an insight into the time through the advertising. There was such a strong emphasis put on it in the beginning, and I really enjoyed that.

Nowadays we're lucky if we get a passing reference to a client in a hallway shot, or a 3 minute pitch to a client.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
The only thing I'm really missing from Mad Men (last couple of seasons anyway) is the actual advertising. I loved how we saw initially, and through the move to SCDP, an insight into the time through the advertising. There was such a strong emphasis put on it in the beginning, and I really enjoyed that.

Nowadays we're lucky if we get a passing reference to a client in a hallway shot, or a 3 minute pitch to a client.
This has been my gripe as well, the show is only barely touching advertising at this point.

I really enjoyed some of the actual ad pitching of the first two seasons, both the good (Kodak carousel) and the bad (Patio soft drink)/

Here's the Kodak bit, which he narrated with slides from his own family album:

Quote:
“Technology is a glittering lure, but there is the rare occasion when the public can be engaged on a level beyond flash. If they have a sentimental bond with the product. My first job I was in-house at a fur company. This old pro copy writer. A Greek named Teddy. And Teddy told me the most important idea in advertising is "new." It creates an itch. You simply put your product in there as a kind of calamine lotion. But he also talked about a deeper bond to a product. Nostalgia. It's delicate but potent. Switch it on.”

“Teddy told me that in Greek, ‘nostalgia’ literally means ‘the pain from an old wound.’ It’s a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards… it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It’s not called the wheel, it’s called the carousel. It lets us travel the way a child travels – around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know we are loved.”

Last edited by kaszeta : 04-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
zalusky

Remember they agreed that Mad Men would have 3 more years and that's it. Because of this they can craft a clear story arc for all the characters. Contented Don may fall well into the story arc or at least for this season.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
That's a good point. I think my favorite episode is Carousel with the slide projector. The advertising made the show special because it touched things that we remember using or buying or from the radio/tv/magazine.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
The person at the other place was referred to as a he so I assumed the madam was referring to a homosexual version of the place she was running.
I just listened to it and I did not hear a "he." Unless it was under her breath or something. It sounded something like... "A friend of mine has a place, may be more of what you're looking for."

I don't have subtitles on my copy.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
That's a good point. I think my favorite episode is Carousel with the slide projector. The advertising made the show special because it touched things that we remember using or buying or from the radio/tv/magazine.
And AMC has the presentation set to the actual slides:

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleri...or-kodak-1.php