TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Tivo as storage and playback only

I have several Tivo units on subscription. I want to use one on my home wireless as a storage and playback unit only. I do not want it to connect to Tivo, get schedule information, or record shows. Will it perform these functions wirelessly? If so, can I prevent it from connecting to Tivo, since it is on my home network?
330381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It will eventually lose its "subscribed" status if you prevent it from calling home, and at that point it will stop doing transfers. Otherwise, sure.

Why do you want to prevent it from connecting to TiVo Inc.?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

I want it to be able to transfer and store programs that have been collected from the other Tivo units. Since I do not need to record broadcast shows on that unit, I was going to save the monthly subscription. It seemed like it would not be a violation of some edict, so long as I retained it for internal use only.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

You are going to get a number of answers, but once your TiVo looses it's subscription your are going to loose MRV - the ability to move videos on and off of it.

I do not have an unsubbed box - so I cannot answer if there are any limitations to watching videos that already exist on the box...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the information.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
classicsat
Astute User

The lion's share of the subscription price is a license to many features (just about all of them practically) of the TiVo software, in addition to the guide data.

What you want to do is only within the scope of the licensed parts of the software, IOW, you need the sub to do what you want.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330381 View Post
I want it to be able to transfer and store programs that have been collected from the other Tivo units. Since I do not need to record broadcast shows on that unit, I was going to save the monthly subscription. It seemed like it would not be a violation of some edict, so long as I retained it for internal use only.

Even if you cancel the subscription after disconnecting it from the outside world and it retained it's subscription status forever, all of the other Tivos on the network would get the information that they are no longer allowed to transfer recordings to and from the now unsub'd Tivo, so you'd still be unable to do what you want to accomplish.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Just hold on until the IP settop comes out this year (hopefully). It appears it may do just what you are looking for.

I have the same issue as you and I paid lifetime for a box that does nothing but a (very) little live TV and watching content from other Tivos and my media server. That box is toast when the IP box hits the street, baring something we don't know about it at this time, like an inability to borrow a tuner from one of my Tivos for live TV; after all, one does have to watch sports "live".

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the guidance and the explanations.