TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #3961
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The HDUI is slow. The SDUI is fast! The Premiere is by far the fastest TiVo every released, on a hardware level. It's particularly fast with transfers.
Sorry, i am a dummy, i am not sure what is what, i do like the increased transfer speed of the premiere, that and the remote function are good, but the interface to go thru menus, start programs playing and all that is gawd awful compared to the series 3. What is the hdui vs sdui? I am guessing hd user interface vs standard interface but that doesnt sound right, because i can only imagine wanting to run the thing in hd but maybe i am wrong.

If there is a way to speed that part up, i would probably love the premiere so if i am missing something please let me know as even my now 12 year old replay has better and faster recording and playing interface over the premiere, and on another subject, i use you network remote on both my boxes from my laptops and have for years, awesomeness!
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #3962
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
What is the hdui vs sdui? I am guessing hd user interface vs standard interface but that doesnt sound right,
Yes, that's right.

Quote:
because i can only imagine wanting to run the thing in hd
The Premiere's SDUI is just like the Series 3's interface. (Well, it was, until software version 20.2 -- now it has a static blue background on all menus. But otherwise it's much the same.) HD content is still in HD. The menus are upconverted, as on the S3.

Settings & Messages > Settings > Displays > Choose TiVo Menus > pick SD menus (ignore the stuff about 16:9 vs. 4:3).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #3963
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yes, that's right.

The Premiere's SDUI is just like the Series 3's interface. (Well, it was, until software version 20.2 -- now it has a static blue background on all menus. But otherwise it's much the same.) HD content is still in HD. The menus are upconverted, as on the S3.

Settings & Messages > Settings > Displays > Choose TiVo Menus > pick SD menus (ignore the stuff about 16:9 vs. 4:3).
I will try it out. It would be great if the menus are fast.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #3964
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I will try it out. It would be great if the menus are fast.
I use the SDUI on my Premiere Elite and they work very well. Much better than the HDUI (although it had some nice features I wish I had in the SDUI). I found it to be better looking, and a tad zippier than the UI on my Series 3 HD's.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #3965
Hercules67
TiVo addict

It's becoming harder and harder to enjoy having a TV. They've finally turned off my analog channels where I am, so essentially my Series 2 DTs have become single tuner boxes. What a shame.

Time for an elite box, but then the last couple of pages here read like horror story. What to do?

/sorry for the off-topic rant... I am just aggravated today, and I don't want to go with Comcast's solution(s). There go my lifetime subs on the Tivos... down the drain.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #3966
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI I received confirmation from someone involved in TiVo beta that the next software release for US Series 4 platforms indeed does indeed kill the remote control functionality because of this tightened authentication. So unless someone can crack the password for the "cdata.p12" file that entire functionality is gone from kmttg starting with next software update. It really pi**** me off as this was the most useful capability to come our way in a long time only to get yanked away. Don't really understand the motivation given the TiVo official applications are free anyway but IMO they are very limited in functionality.
May be time to figure out how to block software updates...
Very happy to report that this should no longer be an issue as I figured out how to handle the tightened authentication.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #3967
innocentfreak

Quote:
Very happy to report that this should no longer be an issue as I figured out how to handle the tightened authentication.
Very cool. I was dreading trying to figure out how I was going to manage all my season passes.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #3968
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wow. That was quick. Good job.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #3969
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:

Very Cool!

So of the multiple tuner systems what would you recommend for my HDTV guys (I know of course I will have issues with the DRM on some programs).

TiVo Premiere
Premiere Elite
or XL

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #3970
Soapm

Quote:
Will we have to upgrade our current packages?

This is good news so let me say thanks...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #3971
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Will we have to upgrade our current packages?

This is good news so let me say thanks...
Yup, updated kmttg.jar.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #3972
sanjonny

So first the good news, i love the sdui on the premiere. I guess i just forgot about it after initial setup and just thought it was for crazy people who hook up a hdtv tuner to an sd tv or whatever, but thank god. Why the hd menus have to be so slow, i dont understand, as they are truly terrible, but at least my experience is better now.

On a totally unrelated topic, all of a sudden, my tivo3 that has been labeled sanjonny for the entire time i have had it (since i think 2008 or so) all of a sudden is labeled dvr 1480. I looked on the unit and it said i could go to tivo.com to change the name. My premiere still has its name correctly.

I did have a few weird issues with kmttg locking up and shows not transferring so i rebooted the series 3 yesterday, but i have never seen that before. Anyone else have something like that happen? So far it seems kmttg still sees the unit as sanjonny but a separate network remote reports the name as dvr 1480. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #3973
lpwcomp

Quote:
On a totally unrelated topic, all of a sudden, my tivo3 that has been labeled sanjonny for the entire time i have had it (since i think 2008 or so) all of a sudden is labeled dvr 1480. I looked on the unit and it said i could go to tivo.com to change the name. My premiere still has its name correctly.
I had the same issue recently. Apparently this is a known problem with tivo.com losing the name. I had to reenter the name of my THD at tivo.com a couple of times and reboot both the THD and the Premiere a few times but things are finally back to where they should be. The reboot(s) of the Premiere were only so the THD appeared in the Premiere's NPL with the correct name.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #3974
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I lost my names the other day as well.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #3975
zabolots

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
The new ffmpeg makes a huge difference. I'm using the latest build (N-39267-g4082198) which is 2+ years newer than the one in the 'tools' package.
Where did you get the new build of ffmpeg? I'm having a hard time finding precompiled win32 binaries for any recent versions of ffmpeg. The one I have (which I believe I got through the kmttg tools package) is:

FFmpeg version SVN-r21085, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
built on Jan 8 2010 06:05:02 with gcc 4.2.4

zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #3976
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabolots View Post
Where did you get the new build of ffmpeg? I'm having a hard time finding precompiled win32 binaries for any recent versions of ffmpeg. The one I have (which I believe I got through the kmttg tools package) is:

FFmpeg version SVN-r21085, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
built on Jan 8 2010 06:05:02 with gcc 4.2.4
Very recent builds can be found here for example:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Of course there's no guarantee that any of the existing encoding profiles will work with newest builds and something you'll have to experiment with. Quite frankly I don't encode to other formats anymore (since series 4 units can easily handle mpeg2 HD transfers faster than real time and every device I use for watching can handle mpeg2 playback) so don't pay attention to profiles and ffmpeg builds anymore, but of course it's pretty easy to update profiles yourself to have them work however you want.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #3977
moyekj

v0p8r version released

v0p8r version released. Contains new authentication code for iPad/RPC remote and some user-supplied enhancements related to auto transfers and 1 bug fix.
Consult release_notes Wiki for details.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #3978
Gowan

This may have been covered somewhere within the last 133 pages of replies, but is there any reason to use pyTivo over the combination of kmttg and streambaby that I'm using now?

I'm about to buy a Premiere since Comcast/Xfinity recently went to all-digital here and my old Series 2 DT is now effectively a single-tuner TiVo. I'm guessing from what I've read that I'll get a bit more functionality out of kmttg when using it with the Premiere.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #3979
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
This may have been covered somewhere within the last 133 pages of replies, but is there any reason to use pyTivo over the combination of kmttg and streambaby that I'm using now?

I'm about to buy a Premiere since Comcast/Xfinity recently went to all-digital here and my old Series 2 DT is now effectively a single-tuner TiVo. I'm guessing from what I've read that I'll get a bit more functionality out of kmttg when using it with the Premiere.
I think that I asked the same question when I was new to the Premiere. Unless something has changed, I think the primary differences are how the files show up in the Tivo (I think Streambaby has some sort of separate app on the Tivo, right?), and pyTivo offers a lot more flexibility. It will support both push and pull transfers, which behave differently. If you get it setup correctly, the pushes from pyTivo will work more smoothly in my experience due to various considerations. However, initiating those transfers doesn't happen on the Tivo, but rather from a web interface. So, it becomes a convenience versus results balance. Luckily, you can keep things working both ways with pyTivo.

Even though it is slightly hard to explain how much better pyTivo is without seeing it in operation, I prefer it dramatically. I still use kmttg for my downloads. They are not mutually exclusive.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #3980
DougD

On my linux box I am trying to setup a custom command to download the cover image file but can't seem to set up kmttg correctly. I have tried the script by hand and have it working for example:
$ /usr/local/bin/getcover.py "Terminator 2: Judgment Day.mpg.txt"
In kmttg I have the following for the custom program
/usr/local/bin/getcover.py '"' [metafile] '"'
I checked the box to run custom but I can't find anything in the log and am not getting any cover image.jpg files. Also I added a print line to the script but don't know where to look for it. Any ideas?
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #3981
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
On my linux box I am trying to setup a custom command to download the cover image file but can't seem to set up kmttg correctly. I have tried the script by hand and have it working for example:
$ /usr/local/bin/getcover.py "Terminator 2: Judgment Day.mpg.txt"
In kmttg I have the following for the custom program
/usr/local/bin/getcover.py '"' [metafile] '"'
I checked the box to run custom but I can't find anything in the log and am not getting any cover image.jpg files. Also I added a print line to the script but don't know where to look for it. Any ideas?
Take all of the quotes out of the command and the keyword is metaFile with a capital F. i.e. Try simply:
/usr/local/bin/getcover.py [metaFile]

Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #3982
moyekj

Quote:
Where did you get the new build of ffmpeg? I'm having a hard time finding precompiled win32 binaries for any recent versions of ffmpeg.
Now I remember why I stopped trying to use recent versions of ffmpeg. Looks like the developers make no effort to be backwards compatible. Aside from command line options being different (options that worked fine in previous builds no longer work) looks like ac3 audio in mp4 container seems to be broken (using -acodec copy for ac3 audio for mp4 container fails) when I tried a very recent build I downloaded from the web site I provided a link to above. Not worth the hassle for me to try and get things working with newer builds... If you don't care about ac3 in mp4 you may be OK though when using aac codec you have to add "-strict experimental" and instead of using -b option it now has to be -b:v

Last edited by moyekj : 04-14-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3983
DougD

Custom Command in kmttg

Thanks for the help, I went downstairs and change the linux box and am now waiting for kmttg to transfer another movie to verify the change works. Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #3984
DougD

custom command in auto transfer

After changing the custom command I was able to get the script to run by clicking on start job then discovered that the default directory is where kmttg is started from. Guess I should have expected this. Anyway I changed the script so I could pass in the directory to store the cover jpg and it now runs with the entry:
/usr/local/bin/getcover.py [metaFile] "/home/tivo/covers/"
I also realized for the auto transfers I was selecting the custom entry but had been clicking OK instead of first clicking on the update button.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #3985
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD
After changing the custom command I was able to get the script to run by clicking on start job then discovered that the default directory is where kmttg is started from. Guess I should have expected this. Anyway I changed the script so I could pass in the directory to store the cover jpg and it now runs with the entry:
/usr/local/bin/getcover.py [metaFile] "/home/tivo/covers/"
I also realized for the auto transfers I was selecting the custom entry but had been clicking OK instead of first clicking on the update button.
I've been struggling to figure out how to incorporate custom covers, so far without success. I'm encouraged to see you've figured it out. If you could give any more detail, I'd be thrilled. I'm relatively computer literate but I don't know coding. I assume your getcover.py is a script file that adds the cover step to Atomic Parsley or something along those lines? Would you mind elaborating on what it does/says, or even providing an example of the file itself?
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 04-15-2012 at 07:41 AM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #3986
zabolots

Quote:
Now I remember why I stopped trying to use recent versions of ffmpeg. Looks like the developers make no effort to be backwards compatible. Aside from command line options being different (options that worked fine in previous builds no longer work) looks like ac3 audio in mp4 container seems to be broken (using -acodec copy for ac3 audio for mp4 container fails) when I tried a very recent build I downloaded from the web site I provided a link to above. Not worth the hassle for me to try and get things working with newer builds... If you don't care about ac3 in mp4 you may be OK though when using aac codec you have to add "-strict experimental" and instead of using -b option it now has to be -b:v
I grabbed a newer version and noticed the same thing. Why on earth they would completely change the command line arguments without supporting backwards compatibility for basic arguments (i.e. -b now -b:v -ab now -b:a) is beyond me. I went back to the older build as well.

I'm sure somebody out there has time to go through the hassle of converting all the encode scripts but I sure don't
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #3987
Iluvatar

Quote:
I grabbed a newer version and noticed the same thing. Why on earth they would completely change the command line arguments without supporting backwards compatibility for basic arguments (i.e. -b now -b:v -ab now -b:a) is beyond me. I went back to the older build as well.

I'm sure somebody out there has time to go through the hassle of converting all the encode scripts but I sure don't
The commands were deprecated with the FFmpeg 0.9 api change. They may finally have been removed on recent Git HEAD revisions but the old commands are still perfectly useable on the latest FFmpeg stable release, 0.10.2 albeit with warnings that you are using deprecated commands.

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #3988
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

When I have 'Remove .TiVo files after Decrypt', MetaData and Decrypt are selected, I get .TiVo.txt and .mpg.txt files.

Shouldn't the "Remove .TiVo files" also remove the .TiVo.txt file as well?

Also, when I remove the job for the metadata on .Tivo.txt, KMTTG also removes the subsequent QSFix job.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 04-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #3989
DougD

Getting cover art with kmttg

Attached are the files I have started using for cover art. I modified the open source scripts created for mythtv to work with tivo metafiles. I then went on line and signed up for keys at the two web sites so we can use the files for the tivo community. At this point I need to put in a plug for the web sites. The art for movies is courtesy of www.themoviedb.org. The art for TV shows is from www.thetvdb.com both depend on user support. I have attached the files to this post. Put the getcovers.py, getcover.py, ttvdb.py and tmdb.py files on your path. Put the two folders in your python path. Oh, I forgot you will need to download and install python. Also you need to download and install fuzzy logic for selecting the best match from http://github.com/seatgeek/fuzzywuzzy.
To test if it works for movies enter
tmdb.py -M Terminator
Then test the shows portion with
ttvdb.py -D "Pan Am" 1 1
once you get this to work try entering
getcover.py "xyz" /file/to/store/covers/
where xyz is the name of one of your movie metafiles and /file/to/store/covers/ is the location to put the jpg files

this is the command to add as a custom command to kmttg.

Once this works you can get the covers for all shows on the computer by entering
cd /
getcovers.py "/folder_for/covers/"

This is all I know and I'm hoping some one else can pick this up and fix it up a bit. You'll have to get some of the Python experts to help if you need more.
Attached Files
File Type: zip getcoversaddpath.zip (27.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: zip getcoverfiles.zip (81.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by DougD : 04-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #3990
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Very recent builds can be found here for example:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Of course there's no guarantee that any of the existing encoding profiles will work with newest builds and something you'll have to experiment with. Quite frankly I don't encode to other formats anymore (since series 4 units can easily handle mpeg2 HD transfers faster than real time and every device I use for watching can handle mpeg2 playback) so don't pay attention to profiles and ffmpeg builds anymore, but of course it's pretty easy to update profiles yourself to have them work however you want.
For some of us who still use AVI and MKV (along with mpeg2), the newer builds of ffmpeg are problematic also.

I tried them once and was disappointed.

What you, wmcbrine and other developers have done in using STABLE versions of ffmpeg that are also backwards compatible have allowed people like me to utilize programs like KMTTG and pyTiVo at the same time.