TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #211
hefe
Rebus Philbin

My new premiere is doing very well OTA.

I used to have a HR10-250 tuning OTA from a rooftop antenna installed in the attic. There is an amplifier up at the antenna, then it feeds down to the basement, splits and one leg goes to the TiVo, the other to the tuner in a PC. Oh, and I'm ~42 miles from the transmitters in downtown Chicago.

Always did very well. I would occasionally get momentary blocking on the lowest frequency of the OTA channels, channel 7.

So I recently replaced the HR10-250 with a Premiere. I had some concern that I'd at least maintain the same performance. Also, I was planning on splitting the line to a third location, reducing the signal going out each leg. So I made the switch, including the additional split, and performance has not suffered one bit. If anything, I haven't yet noticed the blocking on channel 7, so it looks like I may be getting better performance than I did before.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #212
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2 View Post
We can discuss all we want about whether it should or should not exhibit these issues - that's mostly academic.
When someone buys a new Premiere and plugs it in where a older Series 3 or TiVo HD was working and the Premiere doesn't preform as good as the older unit did it is a failure on TiVos end.

Quote:
The cause does matter if you are trying to find a remedy.
I agree completely and many time people who post they are having problems with OTA reception (with anything not just a TiVo) can do lower cost minor things that will be of great benefit. Other times it may take a complete and expensive rework of their cable and antenna system to fix the problem and of course in some situations there is no fix.

Quote:
It is clear that not all Premiere's have tuning issues.
Well I wouldn't actually say it that way. What is clear is that in many (most?) instillation situations a Premiere will function without tuning issues. However all Premieres will have tuning issues in certain instillation situations.

I have used 6 different devices with OTA tuners on my current antenna feed and there are noticeable differences between the worst and the best devices abilities. What rubs me and many other people wrong, is that it appears the Premiere's tuning abilities are not as good as the Series 3 units abilities in certain situations.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #213
S3-2501

Quote:
It is clear that not all Premiere's have tuning issues. So, only some do.
I respectfully disagree with this assessment. IMHO it is likely that all Premieres have the same tuning issues, but not all receiving environments cause those issues to appear.

I urge people posting their experience here not to just mention the distance from the towers and signal readings, but also any features of your environment that would increase multipath issues. For example, if you are surrounded by trees, have air traffic passing overhead, are at the bottom of a hill, surrounded by other taller buildings that would reflect the signal, etc.

In order to do an apples to apples comparison of reception quality, we must be sure that we are comparing reception in similar environments. Someone 20 miles from the towers with nothing but farm land between them and the towers will have different reception than someone 20 miles from the towers but stuck at the bottom of a hill with a dense forest on that hill between them and the towers.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #214
L David Matheny

Quote:
I get signal quality of 96-98 on most OTA channels and mid-80s for the others. This is on a Premiere XL. The "Uncorrected Error" count is zero in the diagnostic display. I have an unplugged S3 HD I will soon be selling but it's hardly worth plugging it back in to compare - hard to beat 96-98.

I am over 20 miles from the nearest antenna farm. I have an amplified antenna in my attic - properly aimed at the farm with the main channels I watch. The channels that are mid-80s are probably because they don't broadcast from my main targetted antenna farm. It doesn't matter, in all cases the signal quality is very good.

BlackAndGold75 may be on to something. Perhaps you folks are having problems because you have multipath interference. An antenna geared for that might help.
I'm glad to see more reports of good OTA reception using a Premiere. As I've reported several times, I get better reception with my Premiere than with my TiVo HD. The signal strength number is lower on the Premiere, but ultimate reception quality (as measured by uncorrected error counts) is about the same (excellent) on most of my stations, which are about 70 miles away in the same general direction. The biggest difference is on a couple of local stations which I receive off the back or side of my C.M. 4228 antenna (with C.M. 7777 preamp). I may even be getting one of them via a reflection off a nearby hill. On those, the Premiere often has much better (like 100x lower) error counts than the HD. I've attributed this to the likelihood of severe multipath on those stations, but it has also occurred to me that they could just be overloading the tuning circuitry in the HD. That seems a less likely explanation because the actual tuner chips are the same in the Premiere and the HD (from what I've read), with the difference being the demodulator chips. I've also speculated about possible effects of hard drive cache size, but I won't go into that again.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #215
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
I respectfully disagree with this assessment. IMHO it is likely that all Premieres have the same tuning issues, but not all receiving environments cause those issues to appear.
Yes, your wording is more correct. I should have said it was clear that not everyone with a Premiere is having OTA tuning problems. It is difficult for one person to simulate significantly different antenna environments.

What might be helpful is for someone in a multipath area to report how they do with and without antennas designed for that purpose. There is probably a Premiere owner with such an antenna - although they may not be on this board.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #216
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I'm glad to see more reports of good OTA reception using a Premiere. As I've reported several times, I get better reception with my Premiere than with my TiVo HD. The signal strength number is lower on the Premiere, but ultimate reception quality (as measured by uncorrected error counts) is about the same (excellent) on most of my stations, which are about 70 miles away in the same general direction. The biggest difference is on a couple of local stations which I receive off the back or side of my C.M. 4228 antenna (with C.M. 7777 preamp). I may even be getting one of them via a reflection off a nearby hill. On those, the Premiere often has much better (like 100x lower) error counts than the HD. I've attributed this to the likelihood of severe multipath on those stations, but it has also occurred to me that they could just be overloading the tuning circuitry in the HD. That seems a less likely explanation because the actual tuner chips are the same in the Premiere and the HD (from what I've read), with the difference being the demodulator chips. I've also speculated about possible effects of hard drive cache size, but I won't go into that again.

Hmmm. Speculating on this ... if you're receiving better pic quality on a far distant reception ... perhaps Tivo somehow modified the Premiere to get better distant reception at the cost of reducing picture (increased interference?) from very strong near signals.

The chips may be the same but it's possible they allow some sort of configuration and tuning options internally.

It's just a guess.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #217
L David Matheny

Quote:
Hmmm. Speculating on this ... if you're receiving better pic quality on a far distant reception ... perhaps Tivo somehow modified the Premiere to get better distant reception at the cost of reducing picture (increased interference?) from very strong near signals.
But it's the other way around. Reception of distant stations by my Premiere and my TiVo HD is similarly excellent. It's on a couple of local stations, where multpath and overload problems are presumably more likely, that the Premiere does so much better.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #218
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
But it's the other way around. Reception of distant stations by my Premiere and my TiVo HD is similarly excellent. It's on a couple of local stations, where multpath and overload problems are presumably more likely, that the Premiere does so much better.
Ah, nevermind, bad guess

Although, you do have a good antenna so maybe not the best example of near farm multipath issues.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #219
Rodwalls

Removed my Antenna amp

Hey All,
I have noticed the same issues with my Premiere and OTA reception, My Series 3 HD always displays much higher signal levels than the new unit, though I couldn't tell a difference in the picture quality.
One thing I just did was remove my amp from the antenna, this made almost all of my local channels jump from 45/50's to 70/90 signal strentghs, I have never had any readings this high with my premiere until now. I just thought I would throw that out there, maybe it will help someone..thanks Rod
Rodwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #220
aaronwt
HD Addict

But what differecne does the signal level make if the signal is solid? Any signal level of 30 or higher on my Premieres for OTA gives me a rock solid signal. So it doesn't matter whether it is at 90, 60 or 30. The result is the same. A glitch free picture. I have signal levels in all those ranges.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #221
S3-2501

Those of you following this thread know I've been watching it carefully. Well, I managed to snag a closeout 320GB Premiere to test OTA reception at my location, so I can finally contribute my first-hand experience to the discussion.

I've conducted three different experiments in three different scenarios, and below are my results. (Long post warning)

First, the receiving environment: Multipath hell. At the bottom of a hill, surrounded by houses and trees, with frequent air traffic overhead or nearly overhead.

Distance from towers is roughly 15 miles, with one station 40 miles away. It is worth noting that the trees are not yet full of leaves, so that is one variable that could further complicate matters later in the year.

Test 1: Original Series 3 (OLED) vs. Premiere in main viewing room. Antenna is a Winegard SquareShooter and rabbit ears in the attic attached to the respective UHF and VHF inputs of a Channelmaster 7777 preamp. Signal was spit once to allow connection to the TV and Series 3 at the same time. For this test, I moved the antenna connection from the TV tuner to the Premiere. Both the Series 3 and premiere were running simultaneously for direct comparison.

Results: Within minutes after completing setup, air traffic could be heard nearby. Both the Premiere and Series 3 were tuned to a channel broadcasting on UHF35. The Series 3 maintained a rock-solid signal despite the air traffic nearby, while the Premiere broke up constantly. To ensure that the cable going to the premiere was not the problem, I replaced it with a different cable. Same result. The series 3 was stable, the Premiere broke up regularly.

At this point I decided to see if I could move the antennas to improve performance. I used the real-time signal meter (and some help via phone intercom) to maximize signal strength and stability. As others have reported, the meter on the Premiere gives much lower values than the Series 3 that do not necessarily indicate stability.

After some tinkering, I managed to get the problematic station to around the low 60s, and managed to improve reported signal strength for most channels.

Returning to live TV revealed much improvement, but the Series3 still held on better in the face of the air traffic and a north wind of about 12MPH.

Test2: TivoHD vs. Premiere in a bedroom installation. Antenna is a Terk HDTVi connected to the combined UHF/VHF input of a Channelmaster 7778 preamp. Signal is split 3 ways to the TV, TivoHD and a PC. For this test I moved the PC connection to the Premiere. Again, both the HD and Premiere were running simultaneously for direct comparison. Air traffic was still present, but given the difference in room position, the sound was less noticeable.

Results: The premiere fared better than in test one, but there were two channels, one on UHF 23 and one on UHF 32, that the Premiere could not pull in without incessant pixelation and breakup. It would momentarily clear, but not for long. The TivoHD was rock solid on both channels that the Premiere had issues with.

Aside from these two channels, the Premiere's performance seemed acceptable, but was a little more shaky than the TivoHD. Due to the lack of positioning options in the room, the antenna was not moved after initial performance was observed. It is worth noting that neither the TivoHD, the TV nor the PC had issues with either of these two stations.

Test 3: Lower level/basement installation. Antenna is a Terk HDTVi connected to an ancient amplifier. The antenna in this case is pointed out a window at a house that is positioned in such a way as to catch and reflect the signals from the broadcast tower. The antenna feed was moved from a DTV PAl CECB converter box to the Premiere.

Results: The Premiere actually seems to be performing well in this installation, perhaps due to the fact that it is getting the signal after it has passed through the trees, the hill and bounced off the house opposite the towers. Even the station located from a different tower 40 miles away seems to be coming in stable. The Premiere currently remains in this room to see if reception remains stable during the rest of the trial period.

So in tests 1 and 2 the Premiere proved inferior to a TV, a PC, a Series 3 and a TivoHD when dealing with dynamic multipath. In test 3, it initially seems on par with a CECB at handling the static multipath associated with the nearby home opposite the towers.

Before anyone asks, the amplifier and preamps I'm using are there because they do in fact stabilize the signal at my location. Without them no tuner I have ever tried performs as well.

Take from all this what you will, but it seems clear to me that the issue with the Premiere's reception is indeed its handling of dynamic multipath. The Series3, TivoHD, PC and both of my TV tuners appear to perform better when confronted with the identical signal and its inherent dynamic reflections.

If I decide to spend the additional cash to fully activate the Premiere I will post any noteworthy updates here in the future. In the meantime, I hope this insanely long post is of some help to those in challenging reception areas considering a Premiere for OTA use.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #222
atmuscarella

S3-2501:

I have had about the same results as you. I have an original Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere all used for OTA and connect to the same TV and antenna I have seen the same results as you. Started this thread about it - it outlines the last time I had a problem and all the details about my setup.

So I have come to the same conclusion, while the Premiere works fine 95% of the time for OTA it has more issues in adverse conditions than the original Series 3 or the TiVo HD.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #223
L David Matheny

Quote:
Take from all this what you will, but it seems clear to me that the issue with the Premiere's reception is indeed its handling of dynamic multipath. The Series3, TivoHD, PC and both of my TV tuners appear to perform better when confronted with the identical signal and its inherent dynamic reflections.
That's very interesting. Thanks. My praise of my Premiere's handling of multipath (or possibly some type of overload) would relate to static multipath. I don't have planes or trucks or tree leaves or anything else moving (near enough to matter) in the direction in which my antenna is aimed. So presumably I have little or no dynamic multipath. And I assume that the type of multipath could affect demodulator performance.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #224
S3-2501

In my previous post I detailed a lower level installation of a Premiere that initially got pretty good reception reflected off of a house opposite the broadcast towers. However, yesterday was rainy with winds gusting over 35MPH, and every channel became unwatchable on the Premiere due to the constant breakups. I spent considerable time moving the antenna around the room but never found a a spot where the reception improved. I was forced to reconnect a DTV Pal converter box just so I could watch TV in that room. The converter box handled the bad conditions beautifully, with no picture breakups despite the on-screen signal fluctuating constantly due to the conditions.

When I returned upstairs, I found that the TivoHD there had recorded one of the programs I was unsuccessfully attempting to watch on the Premiere downstairs, and while there were some very brief weather related breakups, the show was still very watchable.

For now I have split the signal on the lower level to feed both the Premiere and the DTV Pal for times when the Premiere chokes. Of course, this won't help when I go to watch a recording and discover that the Premiere didn't receive it well enough for me to be able to watch it.

I don't understand what Tivo did (or didn't do) to make the Premiere so inferior at handling dynamic multipath reflections, but it's pretty poor performance for a recent DTV receiver, to say the least.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #225
MacQ2

Quote:

I don't understand what Tivo did (or didn't do) to make the Premiere so inferior at handling dynamic multipath reflections, but it's pretty poor performance for a recent DTV receiver, to say the least.
You have some pretty solid data and circumstances. What response have you gotten from Tivo when you've presented your results to them?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #226
S3-2501

Quote:
You have some pretty solid data and circumstances. What response have you gotten from Tivo when you've presented your results to them?
I've read here and elsewhere about Tivo's poor responses to complaints about the Premiere's OTA reception. At this point and time, I'm just not interested in getting my blood boiling by calling them and getting a similarly maddening response.

I got my Premiere dirt cheap on closeout and my goal was just to experiment and post my results here in a comprehensive manner to help others thinking about the Premiere for OTA. If Tivo reads this thread, acknowleges the problem and is somehow able to resolve the reception issues that would be fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath. For now I'll just keep reporting back here if anything noteworthy changes.

In the meantime, if anyone knows if dynamic multipath performance is something that can be fixed in software, or if it is tied to hardware, please post and let us know. If it's fixable in software then Tivo may actually fix it at some point, but if it's tied to the hardware I doubt Tivo will ever even acknowledge the problem since it would be too costly for them to fix.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #227
S3-2501

I decided to go ahead and email Tivo regarding my reception difficulties with dynamic multipath. I submitted a support form under the category compatibility & Standards/Over-the-air antenna. I basically summarized my experience and asked if there were any plans to fix the handling of dynamic multipath in software. I'm not expecting much of a response, but I'll post back with news of whatever reply I get.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #228
S3-2501

Here's the response I got:
Quote:
We do apologize that you are having that problem with your TiVo box and the reception over the antenna. If by moving around the antenna to try and get a better signal you are unable to change the outcome, you do have the option to cancel the service within 30 days of the activation and get your money back on the service that you purchased. For this you would need to contact our Customer Support over the phone 1-877-367-8486. They will be able to assist you with that. Again, we do apologize that you are having issues with good signal on your TiVo box. If you have any further questions, please contact us again.
Yeah, that's about what I was expecting...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #229
MacQ2

Quote:
Here's the response I got:
Yeah, that's about what I was expecting...
Hmmm. Yes, disappointing.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #230
S3-2501

Here's one last update from me on my experience with the Premiere OTA. I tried updating my online support ticket to press them on any possible software fix for the handling of dynamic multipath, and the response I received included the following:
Quote:
We are always looking at possible software updates, but unfortunately I could not speculate if that would be included in a future update. One thing I would recommend is trying a signal amplifier or booster, but as that may not affect the reflection issue it would be your call to try.
I spent another week or so in denial trying different antennas, antenna placements and amps, preamps and even no amp/preamp.

I finally came to the firm conclusion that there was no way I could justify paying for service on a device that has such unreliable reception at my location. Today I called to cancel service under the 30-day guarantee. The woman on the phone claimed to be surprised that I was having the issue. I asked if there was any way I could exchange the Premiere for a refurbished Tivo HD or Series3 that they may have on hand, and I was told that the only way to get one of those is via Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. I expected that answer, but had to ask to be sure.

Sadly, unless I read here at some point that Tivo has fixed the reception issues in a future software update or in a new piece of hardware, it looks as if I'll never be able to buy another Tivo again, since I have no intention of subscribing to cable or satellite.

I'll keep watching this thread hoping for good news, but my guess is that that news won't be coming soon if at all.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #231
proudx

audio only ota channels don't work. 32.22,32.23,etc in Atlanta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Atlanta we have some ota digital audio only channels that rebroadcast local radio stations. They will not tune on the premiere but tune fine on the series 3. the dvr statistics show a solid signal strength and good SNR. Has a channel lock and signal lock, with no errors showing up, but the premiere just says problem with the signal on this antenna channel, it tunes the same sub-channels that have video and audio just fine.
proudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #232
davfromga

Same scenario, found solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
My signal strength took a sharp dive when I switched from the Tivo HD to the Premiere... several channels became unwatchable that were coming in crystal clear on the Tivo HD... very strange... (I started a thread about this too)
Used Series 3 OTA only (antenna array in attic, with pre-amps, distribution amp in attic, and amp downstairs behind TV) for 4 years...Series 3 unit finally died.
Replaced with Premier...lost half my channels.
Removed downstairs amp from system, now the Premier tunes even better than the Series 3.
New tuners must be more sensitive, and therefore more prone to multipath interference.
Less signa/better picture....whodathunkit?
davfromga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #233
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by davfromga View Post
Used Series 3 OTA only (antenna array in attic, with pre-amps, distribution amp in attic, and amp downstairs behind TV) for 4 years...Series 3 unit finally died.
Replaced with Premier...lost half my channels.
Removed downstairs amp from system, now the Premier tunes even better than the Series 3.
New tuners must be more sensitive, and therefore more prone to multipath interference.
Less signa/better picture....whodathunkit?
Your case wouldn't really relate to multipath interference. Better reception after removing a signal amp makes it sound like the Premiere's tuners may be more sensitive to overload. Or possibly your downstairs amp was just noisy or defective somehow. Thanks for the data point.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #234
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Sounds like overload on the receiver, or a small signal to noise ratio or too much noise in the amp. Always best to amplify close to the antenna where S/N is high. Don't amplify too close to the receiver if you don't need to.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #235
jamkor

I just went looking for info on this issue today and this thread popped up. I am extremely disappointed in the OTA tuner of the Premier. I have an old antenna that worked great on the TiVO HD and straight into my TVs. I have seen that people have removed amps, etc from their setups and that has corrected the problem. Do I just need to get a better / amplified antenna? Like I said the ss on the TiVO HD was in the 80s and is now 0-50 on the Premiere.
jamkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #236
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamkor View Post
I just went looking for info on this issue today and this thread popped up. I am extremely disappointed in the OTA tuner of the Premier. I have an old antenna that worked great on the TiVO HD and straight into my TVs. I have seen that people have removed amps, etc from their setups and that has corrected the problem. Do I just need to get a better / amplified antenna? Like I said the ss on the TiVO HD was in the 80s and is now 0-50 on the Premiere.
The Signal Strength is just a calculated number, and apparently it's not calculated the same way by the TiVo HD and the Premiere, with the Premiere's number being lower for a given signal. What counts is the actual reception quality as indicated by the error counts, especially uncorrected errors since those cause the glitches we see and hear. Based on my experience and what I've read here, I think the Premiere's tuners are better for static multipath (reflections from nearby hills, buildings, etc) but probably worse for dynamic multipath (reflections from passing planes, trucks, etc). This thread seems to suggest that the Premiere's tuners are also more susceptible to overload from signals that are too strong. If you're close to your broadcast towers (say 20 miles or less) you may not need any amplification at all, especially if you use a proper outside antenna.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 11-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #237
jamkor

Thanks - I always try and include some form of quantification to these kinds of threads. I will go back and look for the error rates and counts. Bottom line is that I get constant pixelation and lag now, were i didn't before. I am about 22 miles from the antennas and will be trying a new antenna later this week. I will report back on what I experience.
jamkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #238
videobruce
OTA is still alive

In the two years these have been out, no firmware corrections have been made?
Has anyone compared another current (as in up to date technology) tuner to these?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #239
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Has anyone compared another current (as in up to date technology) tuner to these?
TiVos are basically Linux computers. Their firmware performs (I assume) a hardware self-test while booting, then it loads Linux from the hard drive. Then Linux loads the TiVo application software from the hard drive. There haven't been any updates to the (minimal) firmware, but the software that does all the work (including managing the tuners) has been updated several times.

I'm OTA only, and I find the TiVo Premiere's tuners to be pretty good, similar to those in my (several years old) Mitsubishi TV. I have nothing newer with which to compare them.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #240
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Little hard to understand what exactly you are asking/saying.

If someone is having reception issues they have to decide is the issues are being caused by a weak signal or by multipathing.

The bottom line is the TiVo Premiere does not handle over the air (OTA) multipath issues as well as either the original Series 3 or TiVo HD. Multipath issues are not directly related to signal strength, in fact too strong of a signal can cause multipath issues.

If the Premiere can pick up weak signals as good as other TiVos or even other devices with an OTA tuner is harder to figure out - remember the first thing a TiVo does with an OTA signal is split it which likely reduces the signal strength to both tuners.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 12-04-2012 at 12:30 PM.