TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Xab

Any way to transfer movies to TiVo Premiere Elite?

I've been away from TiVo for some time, and just got a Premiere Elite. I was wondering if there is any way to transfer a few movies that I have on my PC to the TiVo?
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Tivo desktop and pytivo are the two most popular products

TiVo desktop is the easiest to setup and works pretty well. The product is provided by TiVo.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-software.do

pytivo is more feature rich and some say just works better. The product is a community developed platform.
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...indows_Install

Either will do what you are looking for!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Xab

Thanks for those suggestions. Do they just stream the video, or can I straight up copy it to my TiVo? I don't mind if file conversion is required.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

They both facilitate MRV or copy from the PC to the Premier. You can watch the movie during transfer, so it does "feel" like streaming...

Some work was being done to see if MRS - streaming from the PC to the Premier could be accomplished leveraging the new Premier streaming architecture - but I think the community development team pretty much abandoned the effort.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post

Do they just stream the video, or can I straight up copy it to my TiVo?
pyTivo will transfer the video to your TiVo. It will show up in your NPL as if it were another TiVo. I've never used TiVo desktop, but I imagine it works the same way.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys
Some work was being done to see if MRS - streaming from the PC to the Premier could be accomplished leveraging the new Premier streaming architecture - but I think the community development team pretty much abandoned the effort.
In the meantime, there is another community development project called "StreamBaby" that does, in fact, stream from PC to TiVo and doesn't leave a copy/cache behind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Xab

Figured it out. What tool do you guys recommend to convert a video into a format for the TiVo? And which format is the best, mkv?

Last edited by Xab : 04-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The Tivo only accepts Mpeg II video (.mpg) with the normal transfer method.

You can "push" MP4 to the Tivo with PyTivo.

PyTivo will convert the format of the video on the fly (if needed) during transfer.

If you want to do the converting, Handbrake is mentioned often.

If you want to include video editing, VideoReDo is a favorite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The Tivo only accepts Mpeg II video (.mpg) with the normal transfer method.

You can "push" MP4 to the Tivo with PyTivo.

PyTivo will convert the format of the video on the fly (if needed) during transfer.

If you want to do the converting, Handbrake is mentioned often.

If you want to include video editing, VideoReDo is a favorite.

will streambaby stream MP4 to the premiers?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
plazman30

I would just go with pyTivo. It does all the conversion for you, and you have the option to push or pull. I've been using pyTivo since the day I got my Premiere. It'll take you about 15 minutes to set up, but then your PC looks like another TiVo on the network.

On my Premiere, the transcode and copy is faster than realtime, so I am able to start watching most shows as soon as I start the copy without any interruption.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Xab

One other question, is there any way to rename or organize the movie files once they are transferred to the TiVo? I have a couple movies that have strange names that correspond to how they were named when they were downloaded. Any way to change them, or put multi-part things into a folder manually?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
One other question, is there any way to rename or organize the movie files once they are transferred to the TiVo? I have a couple movies that have strange names that correspond to how they were named when they were downloaded. Any way to change them, or put multi-part things into a folder manually?
No, not on the Tivo.

If you download a .tivo file to the computer, you can use software to strip the Tivo wrapper from the mpeg video.
Once you have the file as an .mpg, you can rename it anything you want on the computer before transferring back to the Tivo.

With PyTivo, you can make your own customized meta data files to accompany the video file (check the PyTivo threads) when you transfer them to the Tivo.
This method allows you to control how videos get grouped on the Tivo.
For instance, you could set up all your movies with associated meta data so that when you transfer them to the Tivo, they could all be grouped into a folder named 'Movies'.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
djrobbo67

Vuze works great

Its free and will automatically transcode any format and put it on your Tivo or even Xbox 360 or Ps3! Just google it!
djrobbo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
jgaermom

how do I do the transfer?

i have tivo desktop and a premiere elite. When I go to my shows my tivo does not see my laptop. How do I do the transfer? my laptop does transfer from my tivo to my laptop I just can't go the other way around.
jgaermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaermom View Post
i have tivo desktop and a premiere elite. When I go to my shows my tivo does not see my laptop. How do I do the transfer? my laptop does transfer from my tivo to my laptop I just can't go the other way around.
Are you connecting through a router, or straight from Tivo to laptop? Wired or wireless?
Check to make sure the Tivo Desktop Server is running on the laptop.
Also, you have to have Tivo compatible video files in your My Tivo Recordings folder. If any videos in that folder are not .tivo or .mpg files, the Tivo will not see them.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
jcthorne

Quote:
the programs cannot be renamed or grouped into folders once on the tivo. You can define the name and folder as part of the metadata before the file is pushed to the tive and have the titles and folders you want.

I suggest you do some reading over in the Home Media section on pytivo and several other utilities for working with media files and the tivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Are you connecting through a router, or straight from Tivo to laptop? Wired or wireless?
Check to make sure the Tivo Desktop Server is running on the laptop.
Also, you have to have Tivo compatible video files in your My Tivo Recordings folder. If any videos in that folder are not .tivo or .mpg files, the Tivo will not see them.
If the files are .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv, or .avi, you need Tivo Desktop Plus ($25), or pytivo. I use Tivo Desktop Plus and it is utterly simple.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post
If the files are .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv, or .avi, you need Tivo Desktop Plus ($25), or pytivo. I use Tivo Desktop Plus and it is utterly simple.
You don't need desktop plus just to transfer those file types, the free version does that.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Hunt View Post
You don't need desktop plus just to transfer those file types, the free version does that.
With the free version of Tivo Desktop, you can only transfer .tivo or .mpg files from PC to Tivo.

Unless you know something I don't?

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
lujan

I'm getting a second Premiere and since we're talking about transferring movies, does anyone know how to copy Season Passes from one TiVo to another or do I need to re-create all the season passes and other settings again?
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I'm getting a second Premiere and since we're talking about transferring movies, does anyone know how to copy Season Passes from one TiVo to another or do I need to re-create all the season passes and other settings again?
You can use the season pass manager on TiVo.com or use KMTTG if you turn on Network Controls.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
You can use the season pass manager on TiVo.com or use KMTTG if you turn on Network Controls.
Great thanks, I'll check out the Season Pass manager.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
JACKASTOR

Quote:
I've been away from TiVo for some time, and just got a Premiere Elite. I was wondering if there is any way to transfer a few movies that I have on my PC to the TiVo?
I transfer all my movies to My premiere via Just file sharing... using TiVo Desktop software. IT works.
I have no issues... It works rather well.

Jack
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote