TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
monty28

Arrow Premiere XL Freezing

I haven't had my Tivo Premiere XL for two weeks and have had lots of trouble. Whether I'm watching live tv or a recorded show, the picture will freeze. I've tried all the suggestions on the Tivo website, none work except rebooting. I have to reboot two or three times a day. Do I have a defective unit? What else can I try?
monty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty28 View Post
I haven't had my Tivo Premiere XL for two weeks and have had lots of trouble. Whether I'm watching live tv or a recorded show, the picture will freeze. I've tried all the suggestions on the Tivo website, none work except rebooting. I have to reboot two or three times a day. Do I have a defective unit? What else can I try?
Unless you got this second hand, you should call TiVo. If you did get it second hand, you should contact the seller.

Since you say you've tried everything, these questions may be redundant - How solid is your network connection? Wired or wireless? What version of system s/w? What cable system or is it OTA only? If cable, do you have a TA? Slide remote?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
monty28

We did get our unit, brand new, from Tivo. Our network connection (wireless) has always been pretty solid. We have a second Tivo in our den (not a Premiere) that works just fine. Both units have cablecards from Charter Communication. We don't have have a slide remote, just use the ones that came with the Tivo itself. Just a few minutes ago, we were watching the Today Show, recorded earlier in the day. The screen froze and wouldn't move. None of the buttons worked. Couldn't go to live tv or to a different recorded show. We decided to turn off the tv then turn it on again. As soon as the tv shut down, I noticed Tivo stopped recording. When we turned the tv on again, Tivo rebooted all by itself. Bizarre behavior.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
sieglinde

When my Tivo Series two was doing that, it was a bad hard disc. The unit was a lot older than your premier. I would send it back to Tivo and get a new one. My first HD did that and I sent it back and my second HD works fine.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
We did get our unit, brand new, from Tivo. Our network connection (wireless) has always been pretty solid. We have a second Tivo in our den (not a Premiere) that works just fine. Both units have cablecards from Charter Communication. We don't have have a slide remote, just use the ones that came with the Tivo itself. Just a few minutes ago, we were watching the Today Show, recorded earlier in the day. The screen froze and wouldn't move. None of the buttons worked. Couldn't go to live tv or to a different recorded show. We decided to turn off the tv then turn it on again. As soon as the tv shut down, I noticed Tivo stopped recording. When we turned the tv on again, Tivo rebooted all by itself. Bizarre behavior.
Are you using the HDUI or the SDUI? Premieres are much more sensitive to network problems than earlier models, particularly when utilizing the HDUI. You didn't day whether you or not you had a TA attached. They too can be problematic.

You really should call TiVo since it is within the trial period and well within the warranty period.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
monty28

We do have have a TA - can't get HD/digital without it. We are using HDUI. Everything is sluggish, going from page to page is frustrating.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
lpwcomp

If you have a period where you are not recording anything, power off the TiVo, remove the TA, power it back on and watch some recordings and see if the problems are still there. IF they are, then try switching to the SDUI. If they are gone, reconnect and recycle the TA and see if that changes anything and contact Charter and insist that they give you a properly working TA.

If none of these steps has any affect, call TiVo and get an RMA and run kickstart 54.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
...We decided to turn off the tv then turn it on again. As soon as the tv shut down, I noticed Tivo stopped recording. When we turned the tv on again, Tivo rebooted all by itself. Bizarre behavior.
HDMI connection between TiVo and television?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
monty28

lpwcomp, I gave some thought to your last suggestions. I suspected the TA might cause problems, but did not know that the Premiere was more sensitive to network problems. The technician who came to pair our cablecards to our new Tivo had added an extension to the cable that connected the TA to the cable. I removed the extension and made sure the TA was directly connected to the cable. So far, so good. Haven't had any freezing in about 24 hours. Probably to early to say problem solved, but I'm hopeful. If the problem continues, I'll call Tivo. Thanks for everyone's ideas.