TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Are Movie/TV Collections a Thing of the Past?

I have spent the better part of the last couple of years archiving my movies and TV shows on a Media Center PC (10TB) so I can have those movies available on my Tivos to watch at any time. It has always been cool to me (all the way back to the Beta tape and laser disc days) to have things archived so we could pull them down and watch at any time. And, with digital copies on the Tivo, it makes it cool that I don't actually have to go to the closet where I keep my discs any more.

However, as we got ready to drive a few hours on Spring Break this year and started our usual ritual of picking a few discs to play in the car, it became evident that we haven't watched what we own (and as an avid disc buyer the collection continues to grow) much at all in the last couple of years. In fact, the family decided to stop by and pick up some movies from RedBox this year and ended up only selecting two of their favorites for the car.

This really got me thinking- what am I doing putting money (albeit nowhere as much as in the past as I now buy almost exclusively used) and effort into collecting movies and TV shows given Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Amazon On Demand and Redbox on every corner and in every grocery store and 7 Eleven in existence?

I am not so sure there is any point to it any more. Maybe the quality of Blu Ray is better, but I can always rent a copy on Vudu for $6 in darn good quality, with DD plus sound (not too bad). Which leads to another question; are we quickly heading to the mp3 quality in movies/TV?

Thoughts?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I've stopped buying DVD's and CD's. Hard drives are all I need. If I REALLY love a movie I buy it on BD but it's been a while since I've bought one.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've bought more BDs in the last few months than I have in years. I bought hundreds in the first few years of BD but then stopped buying more than a few a year. Although the main reason I've made so many purchases lately is because the content is not available to rent in HD on disc or is not available for HD streaming either. I stopped watching DVDs in late 2005. (I've been watching alot of anime content the last few months)
I will continue to put the titles on my servers. I have over 1300 HD titles on my servers now between my HD DVD and BD titles. It's much nicer to have instant access to everything especially since I hate dealing with discs.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Well, I'm behind the curve on putting my library on my WHS, but I expect to continue to do so for serving to Tivo and for my mobile devices. My handbrake settings are such that I can push the same file to tivo as I use on my xoom, which is great for the car, vacations and leaving the disks at home.

I think that many on this folder have been doing what you do for years, but that only now are mainstreamers getting into the act. There are still a ton of first-time tablet users out there who are seeing the value in creating a collection to put on their device and want to avoid issues with their data caps for streaming.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
trip1eX

Has there ever really been a point to having 10tb of tv and movie content?

Who has the time to watch but a small fraction of it? I can't even keep up with the new content that comes out every year.

I think it has always been a mirage. I am sure there is some psychological need being filled that is behind it all. The tv show Hoarders comes to mind.

Last edited by trip1eX : 04-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
shwru980r

I just watch whatever the Tivo records. I don't even look for movies in the stores or online anymore. I don't bother archiving anything, because there is always something else on TV for the Tivo to record.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Chris Gerhard

I still have a movie and music collection on disc but I do think fewer people are maintaining collections in that manner. I won't change and will probably never bother with hard drives full of video and music, other than recorded video from TiVo and PlayLater. Those files are watched and deleted.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX

Who has the time to watch but a small fraction of it? I can't even keep up with the new content that comes out every year.

I think it has always been a mirage. I am sure there is some psychological need being filled that is behind it all. The tv show Hoarders comes to mind.
The reason I have a lot of video and music available is because I never know what I will be in the mood to watch. I could be in the mood to watch something one day, and the next day I would have no interest in it. So the more content I have available to watch, the more likely I will have something to watch when the mood suits me.

It's the same reason I record so much with my TiVos. I wont watch it all but I want a large selection available to choose from. And with everything available on my network, it makes it very easy to access.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Who has the time to watch but a small fraction of it?
Most people do watch several hours of TV a week. I watch less than a lot of folks, but there are only a very few titles in my library I have not yet seen.

Quote:
I can't even keep up with the new content that comes out every year.
Neither could I, if I bothered to try, but what would be the point? It's almost all garbage. By comparison, almost nothing whatsoever in my library is garbage. That's the point you seemed to miss above.

Quote:
You think there is a psychological need that is being filled? What a shock. Watching TV for entertainment is nothing but filling a psychological need.

As far as the desires that prompt me to maintain a video library, they are the following:

I want to watch whatever I want, whenever I want, as many times as I want without having to deal with a lot of hassle and without having to wade through a ton of nauesting garbage to find a program I like. Very few new programs need bother to apply.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
I have a bunch of things either storebought or home-recorded, but there's not a lot being added to the shelves.

I still record and keep SOME new shows, but not many.

The NBC series AWAKE and old reruns of SG1 on ThisTV. That's about it, except for the occasional special, usually on PBS.

Part of this may be due to being burned by shows like SURFACE, INVASION, [the nu] V, and TERRA NOVA. "Let's get into a show that ends its season on a cliff-hanger, then doesn't come back."

Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I have spent the better part of the last couple of years archiving my movies and TV shows on a Media Center PC (10TB) so I can have those movies available on my Tivos to watch at any time. It has always been cool to me (all the way back to the Beta tape and laser disc days) to have things archived so we could pull them down and watch at any time. And, with digital copies on the Tivo, it makes it cool that I don't actually have to go to the closet where I keep my discs any more.
Until the introduction of the DVD Plug-in for pyTivo, I had completely stopped watching DVDs. Since it's introduction, I now occassionally do watch a DVD.

Quote:
However, as we got ready to drive a few hours on Spring Break this year and started our usual ritual of picking a few discs to play in the car, it became evident that we haven't watched what we own (and as an avid disc buyer the collection continues to grow) much at all in the last couple of years. In fact, the family decided to stop by and pick up some movies from RedBox this year and ended up only selecting two of their favorites for the car.
Presumably a road trip constitutes a different viewing paradigm than sitting at home. Personally, I never take any video of any sort on vacation. For that matter, I rearely, if ever, stay anywhere that has a TV when I am on vacation.

Quote:
This really got me thinking- what am I doing putting money (albeit nowhere as much as in the past as I now buy almost exclusively used) and effort into collecting movies and TV shows given Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Amazon On Demand and Redbox on every corner and in every grocery store and 7 Eleven in existence?
Those cost money, too. Turn it around: why should I spend money on NetFlix, Hulu, AOD, 7 Eleven, etc. when I have a perfectly good video library at my fingertips? More importantly, those sources have little or nothing available that I find of interest that is not in my library, but my library contains a great many titles not available from those sources.

Quote:
I am not so sure there is any point to it any more. Maybe the quality of Blu Ray is better, but I can always rent a copy on Vudu for $6 in darn good quality, with DD plus sound (not too bad).
Do you mean buying hard copy content? I haven't bought a DVD in years.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Until the introduction of the DVD Plug-in for pyTivo, I had completely stopped watching DVDs. Since it's introduction, I now occassionally do watch a DVD.
We rarely watch teh DVDs any longer, but I do have them and I continue to buy Blu Ray discs as the source for my content...along with conent recorded on my Tivos that I choose to archive (mostly movies).
Quote:
Presumably a road trip constitutes a different viewing paradigm than sitting at home. Personally, I never take any video of any sort on vacation. For that matter, I rearely, if ever, stay anywhere that has a TV when I am on vacation.
We watch "in the car" as we drive 10 hours to our vacation spot- it is also our second home so we do also watch TV there at night.

Quote:
Those cost money, too. Turn it around: why should I spend money on NetFlix, Hulu, AOD, 7 Eleven, etc. when I have a perfectly good video library at my fingertips? More importantly, those sources have little or nothing available that I find of interest that is not in my library, but my library contains a great many titles not available from those sources.
I agree. However, the cost per program available on Netflix streaming or Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime is miniscule compared to what I paid for the disc content I own.

I also agree there is always a lot of stuff I don't want to see out there, but again, I am finding the family would rather see something new than something we have seen before more often than not.

Quote:
Do you mean buying hard copy content? I haven't bought a DVD in years.
Yes, mostly. I am still buying many discs- mostly Blu Rays. I'll admit to having been quadruple dipped by the studios on many purchases- Beta and/or VHS, Laser Disc, DVD, Blu Ray. Heck, I even had a decent collection (25?) of DTheater tapes when HD first came out.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 04-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
WizarDru

It's more a question of having what I want, when I want it. Some shows may languish for a few years, then suddenly get watched. Some stuff is in constant rotation (such as the movies my daughter watches repeatedly). Some stuff gets watched every six months or so (hello, LotR and SW). Some stuff we watch and then plan to share when the kids get older.

We are much more selective these days than we used to be, but when we buy stuff now, it's stuff we know we'll enjoy and then get combo-packs, so we can watch it whenever/wherever...whether it be on iPad, iPhone, DVD, BD on PS3 or ripped to the media server and shared anywhere.

Plus, sometimes you just wanna OWN it, you know?
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
I have a bunch of things either storebought or home-recorded, but there's not a lot being added to the shelves.

I still record and keep SOME new shows, but not many.

The NBC series AWAKE and old reruns of SG1 on ThisTV. That's about it, except for the occasional special, usually on PBS.

Part of this may be due to being burned by shows like SURFACE, INVASION, [the nu] V, and TERRA NOVA. "Let's get into a show that ends its season on a cliff-hanger, then doesn't come back."

Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post
Plus, sometimes you just wanna OWN it, you know?
Well, at the risk of supporting trip1ex' psych argument, yeah.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

The only Blu-rays i buy these days are 3D. I have what i consider a nice collection on 3D content.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Gowan

To me, buying DVDs was the same as having a personal library. What I have on DVD and in my library says a lot about me. I think in the past it was a lot more common for people to come to your home and see/browse your print library and learn about you in that way. I think DVDs and BDs serve the same purpose. It's also, like with a favorite book, something I can grab and rewatch or even get new insight into via commentaries and other extras.

Another reason mirrors the print library: I can loan favorites to friends. I buy season sets so I can go back to them, but also so I can proselytize about favorite shows. Want to get into Treme, Mad Men, Breaking Bad? Great! Watch these sets. Never saw Spaced? Here you go! You never saw Big Trouble in Little China? Borrow mine!

As such, I never have made the switch to BD because only a very small portion of my friends have. If I buy a movie, I try to buy combo packs where available, though. I know the common thinking is that hard copy content is going out of style, but until I can get all the extras (hey, a lot of streaming content now doesn't even have CC) through some kind of multi-stream delivery system, it seems DVDs, BDs, imaging cubes or whatever, are going to be around.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
belunos

I don't buy TV shows, but I do buy movies.. BDs to be exact. Two reasons:
1) I want a copy of my movie, to save on a storage device. I've fully made the switch to digital with music, but the MPAA hasn't really let the movie industry go that way yet
2) Until the recent AppleTV update, nothing digital has really come close to BR in quality

But, I do have around 700 DVDs, which I've 'archived'. It's just really nice to be able to switch on my Xbox and watch whatever movie I'm in the mood for (sorry, xbox gui for movie watching is just better than Tivos)
belunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Generally we rely on Netflix for our movie watching; but we buy a handful of movies every year. Usually what happens is we'll watch a Netflix movie and like it enough that we know we'll want to watch it multiple times in the future - so we'll buy it.

More often than not I just buy the DVD and rip it as soon as I get it; but occasionally I'll buy the one on iTunes if the price for the HD version is comparable to the DVD price (since Requiem lets me remove the DRM from the movies I own - what a concept!).
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am actually not excited about the movement to streaming only content. The DRM rules limit your fair use rights to the product and then whatever other restriction the content owner wants to slap in...

Forced commercials a la HULU plus or disabled fast forward as implemented by xfinity.

As we have seen in the book industry - purchase a physical book and you can do with it what you want, get an ecopy and you can only use it in the specific way the DRM owner has granted. All for the same price!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I am actually not excited about the movement to streaming only content. The DRM rules limit your fair use rights to the product and then whatever other restriction the content owner wants to slap in...
Which is why I've only purchased electronic media when I've known, going in, I could remove the DRM.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
WizarDru

Quote:

Forced commercials a la HULU plus or disabled fast forward as implemented by xfinity.

As we have seen in the book industry - purchase a physical book and you can do with it what you want, get an ecopy and you can only use it in the specific way the DRM owner has granted. All for the same price!
But DVDs aren't books. I've got Blurays and DVDs that force me to watch commercials when they load (and disable FF) and others that insist I manually bypass their ads and INTERPOL warnings and so forth. And I'm dependent on other technology to use them. 8-track, Beta, S-VHS, laserdisc...having the physical medium doesn't do much good if the players go south, or worse, get engineered to do similar things to what some streaming solutions do now.

On the other hand, I see streaming as a solution, not a medium. The nice thing about having the media is that I can do what I want with it, like you say. I've ripped more than a few movies so I could put them on a portable device or other unit for more convenient viewing/listening. I don't want to see that go away.
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post
But DVDs aren't books. I've got Blurays and DVDs that force me to watch commercials when they load (and disable FF) and others that insist I manually bypass their ads and INTERPOL warnings and so forth. And I'm dependent on other technology to use them. 8-track, Beta, S-VHS, laserdisc...having the physical medium doesn't do much good if the players go south, or worse, get engineered to do similar things to what some streaming solutions do now.

On the other hand, I see streaming as a solution, not a medium. The nice thing about having the media is that I can do what I want with it, like you say. I've ripped more than a few movies so I could put them on a portable device or other unit for more convenient viewing/listening. I don't want to see that go away.
eBooks, and streaming services like Hulu+ and Xfinity are good representations of the future DRM controlled environment we are moving into.

Once the product is all 0's and 1's the concept of ownership that you get with a physical product dies. You have simply licensed the right to use the product based on an arbitrary set of rules that may or may not have been defined as of yet.

And the content owners / content delivery services get to set those rules.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #24
mr.unnatural

I stopped buying movies years ago. The small collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays I have mostly still have the shrink wrap on the cases. I get Blu-Rays and a few DVDs from NetFlix with the 2-at-a-time plan and I have amassed more movies than I will ever have time to watch. I rip them all to a 21TB server in mkv format and watch them when my TV viewing slacks off in the summer. Having something to watch has never been an issue for me. I've got movies going back 5 or 6 years that I've never watched.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
eBooks, and streaming services like Hulu+ and Xfinity are good representations of the future DRM controlled environment we are moving into.

Once the product is all 0's and 1's the concept of ownership that you get with a physical product dies. You have simply licensed the right to use the product based on an arbitrary set of rules that may or may not have been defined as of yet.

And the content owners / content delivery services get to set those rules.
I agree and if the consumer wants any say in what the rules are they are going to have to use Government to create some rules favorable to consumers.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I stopped buying movies years ago. The small collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays I have mostly still have the shrink wrap on the cases. I get Blu-Rays and a few DVDs from NetFlix with the 2-at-a-time plan and I have amassed more movies than I will ever have time to watch. I rip them all to a 21TB server in mkv format and watch them when my TV viewing slacks off in the summer. Having something to watch has never been an issue for me. I've got movies going back 5 or 6 years that I've never watched.
Not sure I would admit to what you are doing.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
atmuscarella

On the topic of this thread, I have never purchase much media (VHS, DVD, or blu-ray) as I tend to only watch stuff once (no kids). I am also not that picky when it comes to what content I watch so given all the ways to access stuff now and the limited amount of time I have to actually watch anything I certainly am not planning on purchasing any media.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 04-17-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
My collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/dswallow

604 movies (actually 609, but I haven't added the 4 I got yesterday or the 1 that'll arrive today to it yet)

1,710 books.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Wow! That is alot of books.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
My collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/dswallow

604 movies (actually 609, but I haven't added the 4 I got yesterday or the 1 that'll arrive today to it yet)

1,710 books.
Pretty impressive!

My collecting as of late has slowed dramatically, but I am recording a lot of stuff we almost forgot over the years lately from TV and I am archiving it in HD on my server, so technically I am "collecting" that too, I guess.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and