TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
KLINK

Elite Transfer Speeds

I am using kmttg to transfer programs from my Elite to my PC. kmttg says the transfer is between 9 and 10 Mbps. This is the same speed I am getting from my TivoHd. From what I have read here the Elite should as almost twice as fast.

I have a Belkin N1 Vision Router (300 Mbps) and a Netgear 85 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit. Are there any settings to increase the transfer speed?
KLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLINK View Post
I have a Belkin N1 Vision Router (300 Mbps) and a Netgear 85 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit. Are there any settings to increase the transfer speed?
You can use the Netgear Powerline Utility to determine what rate Netgear has negotiated. I have never gotten my Netgear Powerline kit to go beyond about 8 Mbits and it regularly is down around 2-3Mbits.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac View Post
You can use the Netgear Powerline Utility to determine what rate Netgear has negotiated. I have never gotten my Netgear Powerline kit to go beyond about 8 Mbits and it regularly is down around 2-3Mbits.
Thanks for the reply.

I checked last night and kmttg an tivo both said the transfer speed was 9.17 Mb/s. The Netgear Utility said the average avail. was 30.66.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
I checked last night and kmttg an tivo both said the transfer speed was 9.17 Mb/s. The Netgear Utility said the average avail. was 30.66.
Then the bottleneck in your transfer probably isn't the powerline adapters. It's tedious but the next step is to test transfer rates with other devices and routes and try to determine what the bottleneck is.

Though I ended up solving my Premiere bandwidth issues in a different way. I switched from powerline to using the TiVo wireless N adapter. The N adapter gave far better bandwidth for my setup. The walls in my house refused to let wireless G signals through, but when I upgraded to a N router and N adapter things were much better.

But even if you do nothing, 8 Mbits isn't really that terrible.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
shamilian

Why not use the MOCA and buy a MOCA adapter for your network. You should be able to get about 70-90mbit....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac View Post
Then the bottleneck in your transfer probably isn't the powerline adapters. It's tedious but the next step is to test transfer rates with other devices and routes and try to determine what the bottleneck is.

Though I ended up solving my Premiere bandwidth issues in a different way. I switched from powerline to using the TiVo wireless N adapter. The N adapter gave far better bandwidth for my setup. The walls in my house refused to let wireless G signals through, but when I upgraded to a N router and N adapter things were much better.

But even if you do nothing, 8 Mbits isn't really that terrible.
Thanks for the info.

I don't have clue finding out where the bottleneck would be.I have the wireless signal from my router shut off and do not intend on turning on, so the adapter is out of the question.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Why not use the MOCA and buy a MOCA adapter for your network. You should be able to get about 70-90mbit....
Thanks for the input.

I don't know anything about MOCA. I am not streaming. I am transferring programs to my PC using kmttg, removing commercials, then using pytivo to return them to my Elite. Can I do this using MOCA?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
fyodor

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I don't know anything about MOCA. I am not streaming. I am transferring programs to my PC using kmttg, removing commercials, then using pytivo to return them to my Elite. Can I do this using MOCA?
MoCA allows you to use your existing coaxial cable lines as a network medium. Is your PC hardwired to your router. In that case you will need a set of two adapters, one of which connects to your router and the other of which connects to your Tivo.

You can buy one of these kits for $79.99 that will do what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-MCAB...item45fcc6c873
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
I'm all wired ethernet and I don't get more than 30 mbit to my PC via Kmttg on a Premiere. I think you're thinking of transferring premiere to premiere. That's where you typically see the 70-90 mbit speeds.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
MoCA allows you to use your existing coaxial cable lines as a network medium. Is your PC hardwired to your router. In that case you will need a set of two adapters, one of which connects to your router and the other of which connects to your Tivo.

You can buy one of these kits for $79.99 that will do what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-MCAB...item45fcc6c873
Thanks for the info.

That was the same MoCA Kit that I was looking at on Amazon. My PC is hardwired to the router. The Wireless is turned off. Do I need the second one connected to the Tivo since it is an Elite?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
socrplyr

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

That was the same MoCA Kit that I was looking at on Amazon. My PC is hardwired to the router. The Wireless is turned off. Do I need the second one connected to the Tivo since it is an Elite?
With an Elite, just one to the router.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
With an Elite, just one to the router.
Thanks.