TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
Murdock

I also just upgraded a unit from 6.2a to 6.4a and it fixed the problem.
Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
Captain 80s

Don't you lose MRV with 6.4a?

btw... in Seattle. 4 units with 6.2a. All are affected.
Captain 80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, no MRV in 6.4. I am not surprised that those with old versions have problems like this. 6.4 was put out to handle new formats of guide data. Is there anyone with 6.4A that also lists channels?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
Captain 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Yes, no MRV in 6.4.
Damn... knew this day was coming, but that might be a deal breaker for me. Suppose I could adapt. May be time to upgrade the living room unit anyway.

My units have never been connected to a phone line after imaging 6.2a instantcake with the zipper. Can anyone point me in the right direction if I decide to go 6.4?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #35
mmartz

Shoot, I was hoping to stay on 6.2 for MRV. I'd appreciate a link to download 6.4 and hopefully some instructions.

Is slicer necessary or just easier than updating/rezippering?

Thanks.
mmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #36
MontyL

Fun While It Lasted

Ouch... got back from vacation to find myself in the same boat.

LivingRoom DSR7000 dropped local network listings in the guide last Thursday (Seattle 4,5,7,9,13 and 27). MBR DSR704 showing listings, but poor quality and pixellation on every local network affiliate recording starting about that day. Recordings from the networks had all the appearances of a typical rain fade from a near downpour, but they recorded. No other trouble anywhere "up and down the dial".

During a call to D* to see if they're having trouble, MasterBed DSR704 dropped the local networks during a reauthorization attempt, later I realized the independents (11, 16, 22 and 33) were pixellating badly. We don't watch any of them, and have them removed from the Guide under normal circumstances.

I've gone through and swapped things around enough to know beyond doubt that the receivers are the only possible source of the issue, and like westsdad, had D* "offer" a service call and the protection plan, as well as a $417.95 quote to rip the works out and install two new HD "with TiVo" DVRs and all new dish and cabling. I declined all three...

Both units are Zippered with 6.2a, I've never used slicer (but am curious). I did a clear and delete everything on the MBR on a brain fart last night, no change looking at it this morning, and I just found the original Maxtor 40G that I'll reinstall tonight after work...

It appears, fellas, that a recent change by D* has resulted in our owning some limited use hardware... It was fun while it lasted, but losing MRV is a dealbreaker; the other guys' new kangaroo branded technology is sure enticing, even though I'll need to whip together some metal to use in place of the ol' TiVoServer and the two TiVos for stored video.

Unless someone has a better idea and can get MRV to work on 6.4, or there's the coolest HME freeware out there...

(heh, "Newbie" with a join date of '03)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #37
jporter12
TiVo changed my life

Angry Ugh...

I was afraid of this when I read people discussing software versions earlier in the thread.

This very well could cause me to switch to cable. Maybe I'll just pick up a couple ATSC tuners?
SIR 4040,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 300 GB drive Linksys USB200M Ver.2
jporter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #38
mmartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by falstaffpac View Post
Edited to add: At first I did not think it would be necessary to have the Slicer program to upgrade following this method. However, the Slicer program will be necessary to upgrade to 6.4a via this method.
I just updated my HDVR2 to 6.4a w/o using slicer. Just follow the post that falstaffpac references modifying the wget command for your particular machine, 151 in my case.

The only caveat that I ran into was installing the new OS. You need to pass a parameter to installSw.itcl, otherwise it just says the current OS is active. So:

Code:
installSw.itcl 6.4a-01-2-151
Reboot and wait.

Still have to zipper, any issues zippering with 6.4a?
mmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #39
falstaffpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartz View Post
Still have to zipper, any issues zippering with 6.4a?
None. I'm updating them through TivoWebPlus now.
falstaffpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
jjjeffr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraduke View Post
If this is a Directv problem, them how come that not all Series 2 SD Dtivos in a particular area are affected?
In St. Louis, I have friends with the same Series 2 model SD Dtivos (Hughes DVR 80 & Phillips DSR 7000) as mine that are not affected, while I have two that are.
I don't have any local channels that are blank, just not there at all. My units have been hacked, but so have theirs.
This is getting really strange.
I think the problem manifests itself on a reboot when it need to re-acquire info from the satellites. I have one box that works and I am praying it does not reboot.
jjjeffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #41
cobraduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjeffr View Post
I think the problem manifests itself on a reboot when it need to re-acquire info from the satellites. I have one box that works and I am praying it does not reboot.
You are correct. One friend of mine who had working local channels on a hacked 6.2a Dtivo box lost them after a reboot following a power failure.

I guess the other people I know with working Dtivo boxes should hope for no reboots, too. I wasn't so lucky since a power failure during a recent storm got both of mine.
cobraduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #42
rogersba

I haven't been paying much attention to the hack scene, since I have an R10. I've done the capacity upgrade, but I thought nothing else was possible on that model. Am I stuck on 6.3e with broken locals?
rogersba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #43
technoid_tim

R10 with lost channels fixed with V6.4a

Greetings, I am glad this thread got started when it did, I have been going through hell trying to deal with DTV on this problem. I live in the Denver metroplex with an R10 and and an HR10-250, and both lost the local channels starting around April 1st. Both units were stock, unmodified, one was stuck at 6.1something and the other was at 6.3f. Both have been connected to the phone line and the dish for over a year and never updated on their own. I have been told by DTV that no, they no longer push updates to these old machines, and yes, they still update them. Anyway, I bought and downloaded an 6.4a image for the R10 and got it installed. I did the delete and clear all settings, went through the guided setup again, and when I connected to the DVR service, it spent 10+ minutes downloading data. For a good measure I also when online and reauthorized the machine as well after it got done with the phone call. During the who process there were probably 3 reboots, but all the locals came back very quickly and I had most of the program guide loaded after 8 hours. I have downloaded an image for the HR10-250 and hope to get it up later today. Thanks all for the helpful info! tim
technoid_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #44
texasbrit

This problem is apparently linked with the need to enable Descriptive Video Services on a number of locals, because people have been complaining to the FCC. The changes to the guide data to enable DVS are not compatible with releases prior to 6.4. I don't know whether DirecTV will be able to fix the guide so it's compatible with earlier releases, or if an update to 6.4 will be mandatory to solve this.
texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #45
scout55344

Lost local Channels

Today I lost local channels 2-4-5-9-11 in the Minneapolis area.
I called DirectV and they wanted to dispatch a technician for $45.
I'm researching my options.
scout55344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #46
wishbone4401

According to Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_Video_Service) the FCC was prohibited in 2002 by a federal court from requiring broadcasters to provide DVS. So if Directv is doing it, itís not clear itís because of some federal mandate.
wishbone4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #47
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone4401 View Post
According to Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_Video_Service) the FCC was prohibited in 2002 by a federal court from requiring broadcasters to provide DVS. So if Directv is doing it, itís not clear itís because of some federal mandate.
DirecTV may simply be trying to avoid any FCC action by listening to customers that have complained about not having the descriptive services available. It's certainly an important feature for sight-impaired customers.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #48
texasbrit

The latest info we have is that updating the firmware to 6.4 is going to be the only solution for this...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #49
Captain 80s

Is there any way a non-hacked receiver with a phone line will update itself? Or is it too late.
I imaged a drive with 6.2a (non hacked), plugged in a phone line, updated the local number and have been forcing calls... but I'm not optimistic.
$40 to DVR Upgrade for 6.4a instantcake?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #50
texasbrit

DirecTV is apparently talking to TiVo about making the 6.4a firmware available again, but I don't know for sure this will happen...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #51
GusMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
I have the 6.4a slices, when I have time I will upgrade and re-zipper. If I remember right the zipper should work with 6.4
Will that allow you to still have MRV with 6.4?

PS: Chicago locals 2,5,7 are black. Channel 11 is missing from guide. A tweet to DirecTV makes it sound like no other problems have been reported.
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #52
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No MRV with 6.4.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #53
GusMan

Since it seems like upgrading is the way to go - for now - I thought I would give the manual upgrade a try.

One thing though... it says that I have 73MB of space available on var and I need 86MB. Is there anything specific I can get rid of to gain back some space so I can get the slices?

Thanks in advance.
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #54
markis

Lost my locals today and tried to do a manual slice upgrade on my HR10-250. Even though I had edited the installSw.itcl, the script rebooted instead of exiting. I posted more details at the link below. Please have a look and let me know if you have any suggestions on how to fix things.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=486159

(I'm think there may have been another installSw.itcl somewhere in the path and it ran that one instead of the one I had edited in /tvbin/installSw.itcl.)

Last edited by markis : 04-19-2012 at 10:52 AM.
markis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #55
Whipl50

Lost most of mine today in Chicago area as well. Hughes unit, zippered. Looks like I'll need to update my software as well. This may be a good excuse to try to get a HD DVR for free, but I'm so sick of how slow their DVR's are I really don't want to commit to another 2 years. I hate Comcast and can't get Uverse so maybe I'll look at Dish's Hopper/Joey setup. Bah.
Whipl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #56
Pete_C

Same thing here too near Chicago.

I have not played at all with my DirectTivo box in a long time but do have it updated and at the older software. Its all about WAF here as I do not personally watch TV. Panic mode though today as I was greeted this morning (our anniversary) with this debacle. Not getting channels 2, 5, 7 and 11 (plus others), I get a schedule on top but no video.

I do not know why I called CS as it took them over an hour to tell me I needed a software update. They did tell me that they are getting numerous calls. They told me to plug in the telephone line for an update. I do not have a phone line and worried right now what an update will do to my tweaked Direct Tivo box.

My TivoWebPlus 1.3.1 is showing software version on info page:

Software System: 6.2-01-2-321

TivoMan is also installed.

Is there a simple 1,2,3 FAQ. Can I just telnet and run:

Quote:
installSw.itcl 6.4a-01-2-151
Looks a bit more involved with slicer et al.

Please help. (wife may kill my 40 year old parrot today).
Pete_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #57
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you have hacks, you will lose them unless you take care to preserve them. You will lose MRV no matter what.

There's a thread with detailed instructions I have used in the past over at deal database dot com. I can't link to it here, but search for a thread titled "6.3a upgrade via bash". Just change the name. You'll also need to search for the correct patches to disable encryption, should you care.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #58
markis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
There's a thread with detailed instructions I have used in the past over at deal database dot com. I can't link to it here, but search for a thread titled "6.3a upgrade via bash".
Yes, that's the guide I adapted and tried to use (and have used before for 6.3 manual slice upgrades). Unfortunately, I think there may have been another copy of installSw.itcl on my system without the "reboot" command changed to "exit", so the system rebooted before I could copy hack folders or do any patches.

My TiVo is now running unhacked on 6.4a and I can watch Live TV, but the interesting thing is that my locals still don't work. How long should it take for the the channels to start working again on 6.4a or do I have to get my hacks back in place first?

I think I will try to backup the working 6.4a partition, then try to add the hacks and patches back in again. See my thread here if you can offer any advice:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=486159
markis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #59
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Probably will take 24 hours or so for the guide data to reset.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #60
Pete_C

Thank you Steve.

Its pretty much just for my wife as I do not really watch or record DTivo stuff much these days.

I'm guessing that as long as I can telnet back to the DTivo I should be good to go.

She did just call and ask if all was "fixed".
Pete_C is offline   Reply With Quote