TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I rewatched that whole scene... no one ever said Selznick. Zanuck, Zanuck, and more Zanuck.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #32
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post

I don't get the artificial tension between Karen and Dev. Her being jealous of his reporter friend, him not telling her about his workplace difficulties and being overly concerned about Derek...it's just been such a personality reversal for both of them and doesn't seem like a road the writers need to take.
That's because the writers haven't fleshed out these characters at all and are just throwing artificial situations against the wall just to create conflict.
Which really isn't working.

Watching this episode, I kept questioning why I want to watch this group of miserable people?

Quote:
Loved Tom's musical number; he could easily star as Selznick.
That was a good number. One of the few that actually had any emotion in this series.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #33
DouglasPHill

Ok, so Julia is sad because hubby left. So she has been married 18 years, 5 years ago she has a boyfriend; don't know how long it lasted. Then just recently, she sees boyfriend and immediately drops her pants. Of course this shows a lack of respect, and commitment to her husband and marriage. As long as hubby did not know, I guess it was ok with her.

Hubby won't take her calls, too bad so sad. Why would he? What in the world could she say that would change anything? "It was a mistake, it will never happen again?" how could she guarantee hubby that? It wasn't something that just happened. She is a repeat. I can't imagine what she could do to rebuild the trust she has violated.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
lew

I've read almost the entire season completed filming before the pilot aired. They didn't have an opportunity to get rid of characters and plot lines that weren't working. No guarantee they'll get rid of a character you don't like or a plot line you don't like but at least some of them will be gone next season.

Entertainment (movies, plays, TV etc) promote their stars to attract viewers. That doesn't mean the role the star is playing is based on the star. Have Uma play herself and her people might have an issue if her character is portrayed as a bitch, diva etc.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #35
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Ok, so Julia is sad because hubby left. So she has been married 18 years, 5 years ago she has a boyfriend; don't know how long it lasted. Then just recently, she sees boyfriend and immediately drops her pants. Of course this shows a lack of respect, and commitment to her husband and marriage. As long as hubby did not know, I guess it was ok with her.

Hubby won't take her calls, too bad so sad. Why would he? What in the world could she say that would change anything?
"Pick up the phone, dammit... it's in the script!!!"

Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
"Pick up the phone, dammit... it's in the script!!!"
ROFLMAO
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #37
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I wonder about the wisdom of Eileen dumping on those regular investors. She may still need them some day, and she has quite burned those bridges.
Quote:
Yeah, I see that being a huge problem down the line.
Given the fact that the struggle has been her producing relationship with her husband and the perception that it was her husband who made everything happen.

Those people would have never pulled that stuff with her husband and she's laid down the law that they can't pull it with her either.

It is actually the smartest power play she could make - the question is will her gamble pay off?

If she is successful and the show is a hit the money will follow regardless and any future investors will know who is calling the shots.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's very astute... you're right. They didn't play that up enough to hit me over the head with it, but given what we've seen, it's logical.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #39
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill

Hubby won't take her calls, too bad so sad. Why would he? What in the world could she say that would change anything? "It was a mistake, it will never happen again?" how could she guarantee hubby that? It wasn't something that just happened. She is a repeat. I can't imagine what she could do to rebuild the trust she has violated.
I do agree that her expectation that he owed her the right to talk to him about it was crazy... But there are a lot of crazy people out there. Then she just continues to passive aggressive it every chance she gets.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #40
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj

Given the fact that the struggle has been her producing relationship with her husband and the perception that it was her husband who made everything happen.

Those people would have never pulled that stuff with her husband and she's laid down the law that they can't pull it with her either.

It is actually the smartest power play she could make - the question is will her gamble pay off?

If she is successful and the show is a hit the money will follow regardless and any future investors will know who is calling the shots.
Yeah I didn't see it being a risk. If marilyn fails they would never give her more money. If it succeeds they will be dying to invest in her next project regardless of how she treated them.