TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #211
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerz View Post
Fast forwarding is locked (at least on the one show I tried). I haven't had a Comcast box in a long time, but I don't remember this being the case there. Sucky.
Fox prevents fast-forwarding of all their VOD content. It's the same on my Comcast box. It's annoying, but since Fox shows contain the original broadcast (ads and all) it's understandable why they do that.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #212
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerz View Post
Called in a few times, then rebooted. Following that I got an N33 error for about a minute, so I fiddled with switching from NPL to Live, finally went a way. After that, it was in the list.
Sounds like when Hulu Plus came out. I had to reboot twice in a row when it didn't say reboot needed to make it display. I guess I am going to try a couple reboots in a row when I get home.

Also what part of the bay are you located in?

I am in Oakland.

Also to people wondering how big the rollout marketing might be:

It seems to be as far down south as Fremont. I know Marin seems to be included too but its a big county and might not included North Marin. So its pretty big.

Everyone I have spoke to about this was super exited to hear they could get xfinity ondemand via Tivo plus hulu/netflix and one is already buying my premiere thats about to be replaced with an Elite. I really hope people start coming back to TiVo since its now cheaper in the bay to own one and you don't lose features!
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #213
kerz

I live in Mountain View.
* TiVo Series 2 DT 80 hour
* TiVo Series 3 x2
* TiVo Premier Elite
kerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #214
ghuido

Let's just say the rest of us TIVO Comcast Folks outside of your area are a little Jealous right now. "Little" might be an understatement.

If you can confirm Picture Quality that would be great. If it is through QAM you should have very good stuff. Original broadcast HD content I would think.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #215
kerz

Picture quality seemed good. I've streamed a lot of stuff from Hulu/Netflix/MLB, and it was at least on par with the best I've seen of those. I'll need to watch more HD stuff and see how it holds up.
* TiVo Series 3 x2
* TiVo Premier Elite
Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #216
ghuido

interesting since Hulu/Netflix Content is delivered over IP but the Comcast VoD is delivered over QAM. Figure it would be close or better.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #217
DogsOfWarandPeac

I'm in San Jose and just forced a connection and a reboot and the new Xfinity option showed up for me. Picture quality is pretty good, sound is fine. But it's not full 16x9 for the menus or the content. It's hard to see from the pics that were posted because the bars on the left and right are black, as is the tv, and it's dark in the pics. I happen to have my tv set to show gray bars rather than black so it was more noticeable.

When I launched a few HD programs the bars on the left and right stayed. I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #218
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Let's just say the rest of us TIVO Comcast Folks outside of your area are a little Jealous right now. "Little" might be an understatement.

If you can confirm Picture Quality that would be great. If it is through QAM you should have very good stuff. Original broadcast HD content I would think.
Unfortunately Comcast compresses the ondemand channel single a little bit more than there traditional channels. While I find it better than most streaming you can still get macro blocking on fast scenes.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #219
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac View Post
I'm in San Jose and just forced a connection and a reboot and the new Xfinity option showed up for me. Picture quality is pretty good, sound is fine. But it's not full 16x9 for the menus or the content. It's hard to see from the pics that were posted because the bars on the left and right are black, as is the tv, and it's dark in the pics. I happen to have my tv set to show gray bars rather than black so it was more noticeable.

When I launched a few HD programs the bars on the left and right stayed. I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug.
did you box says pending restart after the connection?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #220
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
did you box says pending restart after the connection?
It did not. I restarted just for good measure.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #221
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
But it's not full 16x9 for the menus or the content. It's hard to see from the pics that were posted because the bars on the left and right are black, as is the tv, and it's dark in the pics. I happen to have my tv set to show gray bars rather than black so it was more noticeable.
The single shouldn't be different then what the comcast PVR receives. This leads me to wonder if that has to do with the comcast box slightly overscaning the picture to hide the CC line and blemishes.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #222
DogsOfWarandPeac

I took pics but as I'm a newbie I haven't reached the threshold to be able to post a URL. I'll try to remedy that.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #223
ghuido

Quote:
I took pics but as I'm a newbie I haven't reached the threshold to be able to post a URL. I'll try to remedy that.
We may forgive you posting 7 more times in this Post just to see the pics.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #224
kerz

One annoying thing, my iPad's TiVo app now has an annoying Xfinity turd in it. It's really out of place, and sort of hovers all over the place, depending on what screen you're on. Yuck. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...24690924027346 has an example of it.
* TiVo Series 3 x2
* TiVo Premier Elite
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #225
bwellingx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Sounds like when Hulu Plus came out. I had to reboot twice in a row when it didn't say reboot needed to make it display. I guess I am going to try a couple reboots in a row when I get home.

Also what part of the bay are you located in?

I am in Oakland.

Also to people wondering how big the rollout marketing might be:

It seems to be as far down south as Fremont. I know Marin seems to be included too but its a big county and might not included North Marin. So its pretty big.

Everyone I have spoke to about this was super exited to hear they could get xfinity ondemand via Tivo plus hulu/netflix and one is already buying my premiere thats about to be replaced with an Elite. I really hope people start coming back to TiVo since its now cheaper in the bay to own one and you don't lose features!
I'm in Fremont (94555), and it's not here yet. According to Tivo's web site:

Unfortunately XFINITY® On Demand on TiVo Premiere DVRs is not available in the area you entered. Sign up to be informed when it becomes available, or try another ZIP code

Has anyone else here seen anything?
bwellingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #226
kerz

Also, I'm seeing the black bars mentioned here on the right and left side for HD content.
* TiVo Series 3 x2
* TiVo Premier Elite
Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #227
jaredmwright

I am located in the East Bay, Oakley specifically, zip code 94561 and the Xfinity onDemand showed up tonight after rebooting. I have been unable to access anything and am receiving an error code telling me to go to this link:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...a_id/2275#V301

Is anyone else having this issue? Seems like a connectivity issue, although my network connectivity is working fine.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #228
btwyx
Substantive Member

I'm also in Mountain View, and I just got it. I forced a connection and rebooted, now its there.

Pity I'm not home to play with it, just through the slingbox.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #229
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Hopefully the few extra posts will be worth the payoff.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #230
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Also, if anyone wants to see some particular content or menu I'm happy to take a picture of it.

I used a Nikon D5100 on a tripod to try to eliminate the camera and operator from detracting as much as possible.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #231
DogsOfWarandPeac

And finally, here you go. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
http://imgur.com/a/g0L4A
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #232
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac
And finally, here you go. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
http://imgur.com/a/g0L4A
What's with the gray bars on the sides? Were those SD versions? HD programs shouldn't have gray bars on the side. They don't on my cable box, which makes me think that's a bug (if it isn't SD).
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #233
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
What's with the gray bars on the sides? Were those SD versions? HD programs shouldn't have gray bars on the side. They don't on my cable box, which makes me think that's a bug (if it isn't SD).
I use the HD menus on the Premiere and only played HD content. I got a few pics of the banner with the title in it that claims HD for each program. I tried to get content from different networks and they all come in at the same sub-16x9.

I suppose I could change the bars to be black, but they'd still be there and it would still bug me.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #234
mazman

Has anyone in the Tri-Valley area (Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon) received the update?
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #235
LisaJaco

Does anyone know if TiVo OnDemand mirrors exactly everything that is available on the Comcast box? Or are there shows missing?

Thank you.
LisaJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #236
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
Does anyone know if TiVo OnDemand mirrors exactly everything that is available on the Comcast box? Or are there shows missing?
The set-top box has some "interactive" features that are not on the TiVo, but all of the On Demand stuff, including the pay and "naughty" and local content, seems to be there. For pay content, you can set a passcode just like on the set-top box, or block "Adult" content. The "VCR" features (TiVo trick-play) seem as responsive as on the set-top box. Very usable.

I also noticed the narrow bars on the side when showing HD (16x9) content. The picture is definitely wider than the 4x3 content, but not the full width of the screen. Strange.

The Comcast On Demand content shows up on the normal TiVo search as an "Xfinity" icon, like the "Netflix" icon. It is listed as another video provider, along with Hulu-Plus, Netflix, etc.

The "Help" videos are clearly designed for the set-top box. I suspect that their On Demand system is pretty much oblivious to the fact that a TiVo is being using rather than their box, other than the control commands coming in over the Internet rather than up the cable.

I am in Milpitas, BTW. I did not have to reboot beyond the one automatic new-software-version reboot. It came with the daily schedule call-in.

This seems to be another "stealth" feature. How are average TiVo users not on this forum supposed to know about it?

Last edited by CharlesH : 04-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #237
Dubbadown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
I am located in the East Bay, Oakley specifically, zip code 94561 and the Xfinity onDemand showed up tonight after rebooting. I have been unable to access anything and am receiving an error code telling me to go to this link:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...a_id/2275#V301

Is anyone else having this issue? Seems like a connectivity issue, although my network connectivity is working fine.
I am having this issue too. I received the update last night on both my Premieres and can access the XOD menus but when it comes to playing something, I get about a second of it playing then it just pauses and is stuck there. And for a few of the shows I get the V301 error message. Everything else for my Tivo and Network is working fine so I don't know what it could be. I guess a call to Customer Service is in order.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #238
wwu123

Quote:
Fox prevents fast-forwarding of all their VOD content. It's the same on my Comcast box. It's annoying, but since Fox shows contain the original broadcast (ads and all) it's understandable why they do that.
Fast-forward worked for me on both an HBO show (no ads) and a FX series show (with ads) that I tried so far.

The menus are pretty quick (faster than the Comcast box I have only for VOD) and the streaming also starts quickly. It was unexpected to get this Comcast VOD, so I'm pleasantly surprised!
wwu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #239
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123

Fast-forward worked for me on both an HBO show (no ads) and a FX series show (with ads) that I tried so far.
Like I posted, Fox blocks fast-forwarding of their content, but not all content providers do so. HBO doesn't. I'm surprised about FX since that is owned by Fox, but maybe it's a different division.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #240
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Like I posted, Fox blocks fast-forwarding of their content, but not all content providers do so. HBO doesn't. I'm surprised about FX since that is owned by Fox, but maybe it's a different division.
Your correct in that its a different division:

FX is considered Cable not Broadcast. Most items that are onDemand that were available via broadcast channels (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC) are onDemand with limited Trick Play.

Since FX is on Cable they don't even have to censor their material (legally they could broadcast shows like HBO does but don't since christian families will say there child might stop on the channel while flipping though) and the licensing deals allow you to fast forward since the show already airs 5 times a week a week on cable and you have already paid to watch it in your Bill. FOX has to sell ads for broadcast content.