TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
saramj

Cool Premier and finiky cable tuner

I completed a quick search of the premier thread and really did not find an answer to my question, so here goes. I have had an HD TiVo for a few years and am using Cablevision with an M card. Everything worked great, I had the wire coming into the room split once for the cable modem and the TiVo and am split for a tuning adapter. Last weekend I purchased a premier and attempted to hook everything up exactly the same way. Took the cable card out of the HD and popped it into the premier. I called Cablevision to authorize the card for the new TiVo. They could not authorize the card or even see that their was one their. I had a service tech in and he checked the line with his meters inside and out and off the pole. He said I have the strongest signal possible. If I run the cable wire directly into the premier everything works great and I have a great picture with the card being able to authenticate. As soon as he split the wire once to add the cable modem and new tuning adapter, the picture got horribly pixelated and made the paid channels unwatchable (HBO, HGTV). Disconnecting everything and wiring directly into the premier with the tuning adapter works great again. The tech rewired everything from the pole thinking the wire or connection was bad. Still no luck as long as it is split the picture is horrible. Once I have it directly wired to the TiVo and the tuning adapter as is well.
I gave the HD TiVo to my son. We wired the cable modem split into his TiVo and added a new cable card and tuning adapter and the HD TiVo runs as perfect as before.
saramj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
unitron

Does the TA do RF pass-through?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
saramj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does the TA do RF pass-through?
I have no idea???? I do know that the tuning adapter is made by Cisco and it is the exact same adapter that I used for the TiVo HD and everything worked perfectly.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj View Post
I have no idea???? I do know that the tuning adapter is made by Cisco and it is the exact same adapter that I used for the TiVo HD and everything worked perfectly.
You know those threaded nipple things that cable company co-axial cable attaches to?

How many does your TA have?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
saramj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You know those threaded nipple things that cable company co-axial cable attaches to?

How many does your TA have?
The tuning adapter has two ports, one says cable in and one says cable out. The adapter is a cisco STA1520.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
moyekj

After cable modem split you should run coax into the TA and then another coax out of the TA and into the TiVo. i.e. No need to split a 2nd time between TA and TiVo.

Is this an Elite Premiere or non-Elite Premiere? I've seen many posts about Elite having lousy/inferior Maxlinear tuners which is why I ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
The tuning adapter has two ports, one says cable in and one says cable out. The adapter is a cisco STA1520.
That is, or should be, pass-through, meaning that the cable signal going in also comes out so that you can put it in line rather than having to split the line.

Those are called F-81 connectors by the way, and the ones on the end of the cable that screw onto them are called F-59 connectors, or usually just F connectors since most people will go looking for an F-59 to put on the end of a cable far more often than they'll be shopping for an F-81 to mount through a hold in the chassis of some piece of gear.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
saramj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
After cable modem split you should run coax into the TA and then another coax out of the TA and into the TiVo. i.e. No need to split a 2nd time between TA and TiVo.

Is this an Elite Premiere or non-Elite Premiere? I've seen many posts about Elite having lousy/inferior Maxlinear tuners which is why I ask.
This is exactly how I had it set up. As soon as the split occurs (only one split Cable form the wall goes into the in port on the splitter, one cable comes out of the splitter and into the cable modem and then the other cable from the splitter comes out of the splitter and into the TA then from the TA to the TiVo.) The Cablevision tech. checked all signals even with the splitter on and states the signal was great even with the split. As soon as the split occurs the pixalation starts. No split and just into the TA from the TA into the TiVo everything is great.
The premier is the basic model ($99.00 version) no bells and whistles.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
This is exactly how I had it set up. As soon as the split occurs (only one split Cable form the wall goes into the in port on the splitter, one cable comes out of the splitter and into the cable modem and then the other cable from the splitter comes out of the splitter and into the TA then from the TA to the TiVo.) The Cablevision tech. checked all signals even with the splitter on and states the signal was great even with the split. As soon as the split occurs the pixalation starts. No split and just into the TA from the TA into the TiVo everything is great.
The premier is the basic model ($99.00 version) no bells and whistles.
You could try the other way round just to see what happens: Attach cable modem to output of TA and take the other split to the TiVo. As long as TA is powered up it should pass the signal through to cable modem so while it's not a recommended setup if that works for you it may be a passable workaround.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote